• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve has 'hl3.txt' in Dota patch w/ procedural gen, NPC recruitment, zipline, quests

There is literally no point of even naming a file hl3.txt. A text file? Really? It's not even a .cfg config file.

Not buying this crap. It's really not funny anymore Valve. Seriously.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
CYRxJ3L.gif

eso76

Well, there were rumours that HL3 is now RPG with open-world.

hl3.txt sounds fishy as hell.

There were rumors of EVERY kind.

Including hl3 existing, even

I just googled hl3 out of curiosity and I've found confirmations it would be announced soon/next E3/later this year dating back to 2008.

Kama_1082

Banned
Hype train? I was on the hype train years ago. That shit has passed.

We have the FFVII remaster, we have Shenmue III and The Last Guardian.
Who the fuck cares about HL3 at this point.

We don't even know what we are getting with that shit show Kickstarter

I havn't liked Valve as a company for quite some time now. I enjoy their games, they're some of the best! But it's stuff like this that really drives me to dislike the company. I, like many people here, have been waiting patiently for Half Life 3 for years and I feel ignored as a consumer. In fact Valve have completely abonded their original audience, some of you guys might like Moba's and online centric games, that's cool. But that's not what Valve is to me and I really have no interest in them until they at least announce Half Life 3 or another single player Valve game. May sound selfish but I don't care for Valve's current state.

They have a fantastic image amongst PC gamers and i'm not entirely sure they deserve it. I understand they're running a huge service (Steam) and they're always maintaining their other releases but their game output is extremely lacking and their customer support from what i've experienced is god awful. Had to wait 10 days for them to even respond to a hacked account.

I guess I like Half Life and not Valve.

Dex815

I just had a revelation about how Valve should reveal and release HL3.

They should tell that they partnered with Frontier Developments to add to their game (Elite Dangerous) a crowbar in one of the planets of the galaxy, this crowbar has printed a number, is the only key to unlock HL3 in Steam.

Have fun :)

There is literally no point of even naming a file hl3.txt. A text file? Really? It's not even a .cfg config file.

I havn't liked Valve as a company for quite some time now. I enjoy their games, they're some of the best! But it's stuff like this that really drives me to dislike the company. I, like many people here, have been waiting patiently for Half Life 3 for years and I feel ignored as a consumer. In fact Valve have completely abonded their original audience, some of you guys might like Moba's and online centric games, that's cool. But that's not what Valve is to me and I really have no interest in them until they at least announce Half Life 3 or another single player Valve game. May sound selfish but I don't care for Valve's current state.

They have a fantastic image amongst PC gamers and i'm not entirely sure they deserve it. I understand they're running a huge service (Steam) and they're always maintaining their other releases but their game output is extremely lacking and their customer support from what i've experienced is god awful. Had to wait 10 days for them to even respond to a hacked account.

nofunallowed.png

aliengmr

This game will never live up to the hype, I can see valve being scared to even think about releasing HL3.

Does that even matter anymore? I mean sure, a few years ago that might have made sense, but at this point what does anyone really expect?

Unless its just the biggest pile of shit ever developed, Valve will make money on it anyway. They would have to mess it up royally for it not to.

If they ever decide to work on it, it would mean an idea got them hyped enough to start on it again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Couldn't agree more.

Valve used to be one of my favorite developers but they haven't done anything that remotely interests me in years and their unwillingness to be open with their consumers annoys me to no end.

artsi

The extension doesn't matter really. Most of the time .cfg is just a normal text file, just like that one.

jacobeid

Banned
I wish Valve cared about single-player experiences and not just DOTA
or CS or TF2
but whatever. It's expected at this point. I don't think we'll ever see the story finished.

Omikron

Neogaf never fails to disappoint me with morning amusing posts.

How dare valve update products with references to other products. It speaks to their lack of soul.

domlolz

Banned

great thanks for the post really good stuff

jaypah

They are the WORST! It's not even funny anymore. Like, ay you releasing the damn game or nah? Fuck it, I'll believe one more time. 😧

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
Does anyone remember the HL3 fgd leak from 2013? Does anyone have that saved somewhere so we could compare it.

By the way, we always fact check what we tweet at @SteamDB. There are grounds for the HL3 stuff (not just this dota leak).

Neogaf never fails to disappoint me with morning amusing posts.

How dare valve update products with references to other products. It speaks to their lack of soul.

They know Half Life 3 is a big deal and people go crazy over all these little hints and teases that they throw at us. How many times has a file referencing HL3 been included in updates or shown in databases now? There are some of us here who don't enjoy Valve's multiplayer offerings and it's incredibly irritating as a fan that Valve sees the development of this game as a joke.

You would have to be the ultimate fan boy to care at all at this point gaf. I love you guys, but it is time to stop caring.

Omega

Banned

yea they only run the biggest service on PC and have two of the biggest games out right now that they continually support. While those updates might not always be the greatest, they support the games.

but yeah, totally undeserved. I think we should give our support to someone like TakeTwo/2K or WarnerBros. they totally deserve it. or perhaps uPlay? With their fantastic client and super popular PC games that they support long term

Omikron

They know Half Life 3 is a big deal and people go crazy over all these little hints and teases that they throw at us. How many times has a file referencing HL3 been included in updates or shown in databases now? There are some of us here who don't enjoy Valve's multiplayer offerings and it's incredibly irritating as a fan that Valve sees the development of this game as a joke.
You are absolutely allowed to have that opinion. But it is just that.

They can do what they want. And I look forward to playing hl3 when it drops eventually.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Time moves forward, nothing changes.

Lingitiz

Procedural generation huh? That would fit into the thinking that this is not simply going to be a 12 hour single player linear FPS.

Really wonder what this is going to be.

Lork

Nothing about this suggests that it's intentional or a joke. I know you guys are really emotionally invested in Half-Life, but try to look past that for a second and consider Occam's razor.

Sibylus

Banned
The file format is different enough that I can't diff an old HL2 FGD against this new file directly, but I'm bored and have time so I'm going to compare them one entry at a time.

Top Bottom