• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve to hold Steam Dev Days conference in January (No Media).

https://twitter.com/jilitzky/status/423521446464208897

I think they should have set some standards at least

I agree. The minimum requirement for a Steam machine should be that it can smoothly stream a 1080p image at 60fps across the network. If I pick up one of the cheap Steam machines and it won't be able to smoothly do the in-home streaming from my Windows PC, then why the fuck would I even bother? Though, hopefully the manufacturers are smart enough to realize this... Right?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hm.. A few of their earlier statements eg regarding disallowing DVD drives suggested otherwise.

Are you thinking of this?

We've heard lots of rumors about the Steam Box, including that Valve's own hardware would be "tightly controlled." Can you tell us more about Valve's own hardware effort?

The way we sort of think of it is sort of "Good, Better," or "Best." So, Good are like these very low-cost streaming solutions that you’re going to see that are using Miracast or Grid. I think we’re talking about in-home solutions where you’ve got low latency. "Better" is to have a dedicated CPU and GPU and that’s the one that’s going to be controlled. Not because our goal is to control it; it’s been surprisingly difficult when we say to people "don’t put an optical media drive in there" and they put an optical media drive in there and you’re like "that makes it hotter, that makes it more expensive, and it makes the box bigger." Go ahead. You can always sell the Best box, and those are just whatever those guys want to manufacture. [Valve's position is]: let's build a thing that’s quiet and focuses on high performance and appropriate form factors.

It was never disallowed, just not considered a good idea.

Saty

Don't think so. Also not sure if the purchase has to be made inside the Steam store or if activating keys bought elsewhere count.

Karu

Just read on Twitter that all conversations are recorded and released online later on. Nice one. =)

Ionic

Was the Gigabyte Steam Machine that ludicrously tiny one? With Valve also starting their streaming beta, getting these out to hundreds of devs is probably a great move.

marrec

Banned
Was the Gigabyte Steam Machine that ludicrously tiny one? With Valve also stating their streaming beta, getting these out to hundreds of devs is probably a great move.

I think it's this one:

Gigabyte – Brix Pro

The Brix Pro will have Intel Core i7-4770R, an Intel Pro 5200 Iris graphics card, 8 GB of RAM (2 banks of 4 GB) and 1TB HDD.

Nista

Every #SteamDevDays attendee gets a free Gigabyte Steam Machine. Every. Single. One.

Meh, my bf is attending dev days. I hope he takes that silly thing to work, since if I see it at home I'm throwing it out the window. :p

Ionic

Meh, my bf is attending dev days. I hope he takes that silly thing to work, since if I see it at home I'm throwing it out the window. :p

NVrcngE.gif

Nista

Sorry I only support the true PC master race, not the SteamOS rebels. ;) Not a programmer so most of this conference isn't interesting to me.

I've never heard anyone go this in-depth into game controller design before. Pretty cool. #SteamDevDays

they're taking them through the iterations, maybe they'll mention something future related based on feedback

Hm, not entirely sure I understand what this means.

Does this mean that instead of having a touch screen in the middle, they'll have an ABXY physical button diamond in the center for better compatibility with games designed for the 360 controller?

So many questions!

*Edit* Also, that same person tweeted that the controller will be AA battery based (they said users can swap out the batteries for rechargeable AA's which is sort of a no brainer).

HariKari

*Edit* Also, that same person tweeted that the controller will be AA battery based (they said users can swap out the batteries for rechargeable AA's which is sort of a no brainer).

Lame. Always have liked the PS3/4 model where you can play wired if you want if you run out of charge.

Top Bottom