• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Director of Business has left [GAF Rumor: TF2 Art Lead, SFM Head Gone, More]

I can't even process this sentence. Is it me or is this terribly written?

My first reaction was that it sounded like one of those jobs where you don't actually do anything and you need some avoiding description to pretend you are.
But it's just poorly worded, I guess he is the liaison between valve and anyone wanting to be on the steam store.
Secretary basically or something?

Also valve makes shittons of money (and produces the best games, so they are good in my book) , thisisneogaf.gif with people talking doom haha.

1-D_FTW

Considering how badly Amazon has been kicking their butts in sales, it's probably not the worst thing. He did an amazing job building Steam, but Amazon Tony has been destroying Valve in the hustle game of late. Time to get hungry again.

clashfan

Between this and Halo showing up on Steam, I think the writing is on the wall.

Something big is going on and Microsoft is involved.

Halo on Steam
Valve hardware staff laid off
Microsoft acquisition or partnership actually seems rather plausible

who knows?

I think you are really making a big leap of logic. To me this sounds like they are turning Valve into more of a platform like Facebook/Amazon and concentrate less on actual game development.

EA purchase incoming.

riccitiello_newell.jpg

COLLUSION!

dionysus

Yaldog
Maybe a culture purge. Getting back to the culture mentioned in the employee handbook. People are naturally power hungry and cliquish, and with the explosive growth of valve in the last few years, maybe Gabe is seeing that they are losing their culture.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Has Gabe been having one long protracted meltdown over the last couple of months or something? These are some big-ass important names disappearing.

DaBuddaDa

Seems like Valve is getting rid of a lot of their actual game development talent.

Seems to be focused on the art side of things so far. Again, outsourcing a lot of art to the community is a thing Valve is already doing and wants to do more of.

tru7hhhh

Neo Member
From the RPS article there seems to be an "NDA" with the employees, maybe they will be picked up by M$ in a large partnership (obviously M$ has a good stranglehold on hardware)? Or even Sony, from the previous times that Gaben has spoken at their keynotes. IDK, all random speculation, but the Art Director/Director of Business is troubling/worrisome.

I think you are really making a big leap of logic. To me this sounds like they are turning Valve into more of a platform like Facebook/Amazon and concentrate less on actual game development.

I'm mostly kidding. If it does happen, I just want to be the icalledit.gif guy.

Randdalf

Bay Raitt left? No way, he did an awesome job with SFM.

Realm Lovejoy was the art person from the Narbacular Drop team that made Portal.

DTKT

Jesus christ, what the fuck is going on. Lead people leaving is never a good sign. The SFM one is really puzzling.

Adam Blue

Didn't Gabe say they were bad about letting people go?

The atmosphere may have been a bit too relaxed and Gabe doesn't want to see Valve on a slow decline. Sometimes it appears 'bad', but people gotta come and go at times to keep your company at its feet.

DaBoss

I wonder what's happening at Valve. Could it be some restructure or change in company objectives? Though firing this many people and people leaving isn't a good sign.

Hey, genius. They've fired some of the most talented, " name" employees in their stable. Read the thread. Something is very wrong.

The only things I can think of:
- Massive internal argument. One that involves shouting.
- Tax Case spanning multiple years (Gabe looking for an out and trying to catch tech companies eyes didn't work).
- Gabe has gone mad.
- This.
- Employees within Steam have been doing something they shouldn't have and got caught (Director of Business fits this imo)
- Gabe is downsizing cause...well he wants to.
- STUFF

We know none of this was planned. An event has taken place. The question is what?

Top Bottom