• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

DaBuddaDa

This seems too clumsy and confusing to be 100% true. I'm not sure people are going to understand all of the caveats and connections and purchases and costs they'd have to consider to get this all up and running as intended.

Glad they're ditching the no used games/always online if true, but ugh, buying an add-on for b/c? Dumb as having to buy a remote to play DVDs on the original Xbox.

RPGCrazied

I hope they sell a cheaper 360, I'm not interested in the 720 or whatever, but there is a few games on 360 I want to play again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is so messy and confusing. So there are 2 boxes? And they connect to each other?
If you want BC, you need to buy a 360 Mini.

Or at least that's what it sounds like. Dunno if they'll have connectivity to existing 360s but I can't see why not. Outside of greed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My 360 has no hdmi out!

If Durango can't control your 360's/TV's AV output/input, it could still gracefully fallback to another option, like streaming the video over the network to Durango, and it outputs to your TV.

In fact I wouldn't be totally surprised if it is just streaming over the network in all cases. In that case a firmware update would be all that's necessary for your 360.

bidguy

Banned
Glad they're ditching the no used games/always online if true, but ugh, buying an add-on for b/c? Dumb as having to buy a remote to play DVDs on the original Xbox.

it may not be possible to include BC (same reason why ps4 doesnt have it) so why is it bad to have that option ?

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games.

That's a very important thing.

I am still confused on whether Durango will require online connection to play games or not. Can't wait for MS to unveil this shit.

eternalb

So it's a Super GameBoy.

Super-Game_Boy.jpg

I think this sounds pretty fucking cool, but people are free to disagree. If you want BC, then you pay for it by getting that optional device.

I can't help but personally laugh at Xbox 720 having backwards compat. as a selling point with this as a solution there is little to no benefit over just keeping your old console plugged in.

I don't get it, I really don't.

Xellos

This reminds me of the old Master System add-on for the Genesis. It isn't ideal but it is better than no BC at all.

So let's say i want to buy old xbox 360 games (i haven't had one this gen) and i buy some from the store, how do i transfer the discs over to this new smaller B/C box? or will most of the games be available for download? but then won't the prices be ridiculous if they're download? Because you can buy year old disc-games for 10 bucks

Bsigg12

So it's going to have a life support attachment day 1? :p

And the PS4 will have what in the name of BC on day one?

This is a huge plus for Microsoft. Given it'll add to the upfront cost, if BC is that important to you the option will be there at launch.

So, since it won't have a disc drive, does this mean we play the disc in the Durango and it just runs it through the addon?

What if that means Microsoft told every developers(aka "sources") if medias ask them anything about Durango,answer the Xbox mini features to mislead medias?

Well i know it's not likely lol.

cripterion

This sounds good to me if true. Don't understand why people are whining about it already. No one is forcing you to buy the "addon".

I think this is a good solution to BC, not all of us particularly care about it - so having the option to buy it at a small price is a pretty good idea - especially considering this new XBOX360 will also function as a standalone device.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Doesn't exactly pass the sniff test does it? There's an important detail or two missing still.

Considering this and the Verge's rumour kind of complete each other:

New 360 is always online, also to play games
Durango requires connection due to cable functions, but games don't rely on connection (i.e.: if connection has problems, games won't stop or anything).

This is what I understand.

Day One but only IF the add-on is small enough to fit in my overcrowded entertainment stand with the Durango.

If the offline-allowed used-games thing is true its exactly what I expected and lots of news sites are going to be massively shamed.

Top Bottom