• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 "Fallout 4 looks more and more like a recycled Fallout 3"

Lucifelle

Banned
I think Fallout 4 looks great, and of course the real strength of this series will come through its story and worldbuilding.

I'm saying it, this thread fucking sucks.

First off, this cherry-picked out-of-context quote title serves no real purpose other than to steer conversation to negative criticism of the games graphics, which -let's face it- nobody who enjoys these games really gives 2 shits about. Secondly, who the fuck is Mike Martin and why are we treating his opinion pieces like they're credible and worthy of threads all of a sudden? Lastly, what exactly in this article is news that warrants it's own thread? What is Mike Martin telling us that we didn't already know or see for ourselves and discussed already? It'd be one thing to make a thread if he was actually reporting something fresh, but this shit is old news at best. So what the fuck is this thread for?

Absolutely nothing of value, this thread is utterly and completely pointless. Inevitable from the get go to end up being an HQ for the whiny old-school Fallout fans who are wayyy far beyond pleasing at this point, and hardcore Bethesda haters who make it their job to complain about the inherent drawbacks that come with making games as ambitious and as huge as Bethesda's.

Let me tell you guys something you don't fucking get. The fact is, Nobody in this industry makes games with the same flavor of freedom that Bethesda offers and until someone does, Gamebryo Engine Bethesda games are worth more the asking price to the fans -regardless of the graphics,glitches,story,character models- simply because there's no experience like it anywhere else. You can't sway us. Only a better game can, and unless you plan on making it, kindly shut the fuck up.

No other game lets me kill dudes and stuff them under their own bed in real time. No other game let's me strip my enemies and put them in awkward sexual positions after I've defeated them. No other game lets me pick up shit in the environment and move it in real time at my leisure. No other game lets me cinematic slow-mo punch someone in the face and watch them fold like a lawn chair. It's stupid little shit like this and the choice to do it -or not- that goes a long way. All the freedom I've come to enjoy is there in spades, and that combined with all the customization options, this game can't possibly disappoint me. There's a reason people have been dying for this game to come out. It's not the graphics. There's just nothing like it, faults or no faults.

Fallout 4. The game where fans feels like they couldn't ask for more and the haters constantly do.

Feel free to shoot me a message if I don't get back to you so I can ignore you there too. Someone lock this shit up.

Let me tell you guys something you don't fucking get. The fact is, Nobody in this industry makes games with the same flavor of freedom that Bethesda offers.

Do people actually believe this or? i mean, Bethesda games don't even offer a whole lot of freedom besides having a big world to explore (and moving things around, which is apparently a big deal somehow) which at this point is hardly unique.

liquidtmd

Banned
No other game lets me kill dudes and stuff them under their own bed in real time. No other game let's me strip my enemies and put them in awkward sexual positions after I've defeated them. No other game lets me pick up shit in the environment and move it in real time at my leisure. No other game lets me cinematic slow-mo punch someone in the face and watch them fold like a lawn chair.

I pictured you writing this and having a little shiver of excitement as you typed 'sexual'

As to your other opinions, tonnes of positives has been said about Fallout 4. This is just one guys opinion coupled with people not being as enamoured by Bethesda games as yourself.

I have played all the open world Bethesda games. I keep falling for the hype only to be dissapointed each time.

Awful AI
Crap Animation
Immersion breaking bugs
Jank everywhere

I just dont get the praise.

I pictured you writing this and having a little shiver of excitement as you typed 'sexual'

As to your other opinions, tonnes of positives has been said about Fallout 4. This is just one guys opinion coupled with people not being as enamoured by Bethesda games as yourself.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the the word "sexual" would stick out to someone as starved as you, desert dick. No shit positives have been said, but for the most part this thread has been a breeding ground for pointless bitching. Just doing my part.

Wolfie5

I have played all the open world Bethesda games. I keep falling for the hype only to be dissapointed each time.

Awful AI
Crap Animation
Immersion breaking bugs
Jank everywhere

I just dont get the praise.

It looks like Bethesda games aren't for you.

At least for me, when I don't like/enjoy a certain game series or how a developer is making games, I just tend to avoid everything about it altogether and focus on games I enjoy instead.

Henrar

After I saw dialogue system and changes to skill system I am more worried about that thatn the game being not so different than Fallout 3.

And let's be honest, this game system and engine is based on Skyrim's in the same way F3 was based on Oblivion. It was obvious that the games will be quite similar.

NBtoaster

The art design is improved over Skyrim where every object seemed oversized, as if to make to use of the ability to examine items in the inventory. Fallout 3 had thinner details but everything was very sharp edged.

Demoskinos

I sincerely hope the people who have been waiting for this enjoy it but not a single goddamn thing about this game looks appealing to me personally. Especially when you've got stuff like Metal Gear Solid V coming out soon.

Salaadin

The bethesda approach is appealing to a lot of people. It doesn't matter how the game looks or plays really. People enjoy it so that's that.
I wish I mattered more because then maybe it'd give them a reason to change but it is what it is.

Do people actually believe this or? i mean, Bethesda games don't even offer a whole lot of freedom besides having a big world to explore (and moving things around, which is apparently a big deal somehow) which at this point is hardly unique.

Nothing you quoted is hard to believe. While other games have big worlds and lots of game elements in common, it's the little things that separate them these games and gives them their own unique flavors. In regards to Fallout, don't act like Post-apocalyptic RPGs with guns, an open world, realistic physics, and deep character customization/creation are a dime a dozen. What it comes down to is that the no other game company captures that same engrossing experience for me and many others the way Bethesda does it. Maybe it's magic but there's definitely something the people who loves these games see in them that the people who hate them just don't. Everything added up becomes much greater than the sum of it's parts if you play it a certain way I guess.

Sometimes it's about having fun your own way, these games are totally all about that the possibilities are pretty much limited to your imagination. Maybe I'm the only one here who likes messing around with physics in the games or something, but yes that stuff is a big ingredient in what makes everything seem much more realistic and fun to me and many others too.

liquidtmd

Banned
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the the word "sexual" would stick out to someone as starved as you, desert dick. No shit positives have been said, but for the most part this thread has been a breeding ground for pointless bitching. Just doing my part.

Keep running around calling people sex starved desert dicks whilst defending Bethesda under the premise they offer the best stripping and stuffing corpses under beds in awkward sexual position simulators around - no-ones judging you friend.

You can't sway us. Only a better game can, and unless you plan on making it, kindly shut the fuck up.

This will always be one of the crappiest arguments you'll find on the Internet.

Saying that you are right, this thread is just more shitting on stuff we already know. The very first images showed the typical bland-bethesda look I've come to expect, and then all the information on questy stuff didn't seem any more compelling then what we had before.

It's odd. I loved oblivion, then just had general apathy with fallout 3 and skyrim. Still fun to play in parts, and great ways to pass the time, but I cant say I really hold any respect for them like I do with many other games.

Dude here sounds on the money with 'recycled fallout 3'. But that's what a lotta people want so if that's what they wanna do, cool.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I'll play the shit out of it.
VG247 gonna hate.

Not saying VG247 is wrong, but... how come they're the only place saying something like this?

It seems like Fallout 4's demo being "disappointing" would be pretty huge news. Most sites would love the traffic it would generate. Why isn't anyone else running a similar story? Surely VG247 wasn't the only outlet that attended this showing.

Pillville

I think people are just forgetting what Fallout 3/NV looked like.
I'm sure 4 isn't going to be a graphical marvel, but I doubt it's anywhere near Fallout 3/NV graphics.

Protectron: Fallout NV vs. 4.
tumblr_npha2jU52L1s96c36o1_540.png

diamount

Banned
Not saying VG247 is wrong, but... how come they're the only place saying something like this?

It seems like Fallout 4's demo being "disappointing" would be pretty huge news. Most sites would love the traffic it would generate. Why isn't anyone else running a similar story? Surely VG247 wasn't the only outlet that attended this showing.

Because opinions on what looks good to them and maybe because controversial opinions brings in more traffic.

I'm saying it, this thread fucking sucks.

First off, this cherry-picked out-of-context quote title serves no real purpose other than to steer conversation to negative criticism of the games graphics, which -let's face it- nobody who enjoys these games really gives 2 shits about. Secondly, who the fuck is Mike Martin and why are we treating his opinion pieces like they're credible and worthy of threads all of a sudden? Lastly, what exactly in this article is news that warrants it's own thread? What is Mike Martin telling us that we didn't already know or see for ourselves and discussed already? It'd be one thing to make a thread if he was actually reporting something fresh, but this shit is old news at best. So what the fuck is this thread for?

Absolutely nothing of value, this thread is utterly and completely pointless. Inevitable from the get go to end up being an HQ for the whiny old-school Fallout fans who are wayyy far beyond pleasing at this point, and hardcore Bethesda haters who make it their job to complain about the inherent drawbacks that come with making games as ambitious and as huge as Bethesda's.

Let me tell you guys something you don't fucking get. The fact is, Nobody in this industry makes games with the same flavor of freedom that Bethesda offers and until someone does, Gamebryo Engine Bethesda games are worth more the asking price to the fans -regardless of the graphics,glitches,story,character models- simply because there's no experience like it anywhere else. You can't sway us. Only a better game can, and unless you plan on making it, kindly shut the fuck up.

No other game lets me kill dudes and stuff them under their own bed in real time. No other game let's me strip my enemies and put them in awkward sexual positions after I've defeated them. No other game lets me pick up shit in the environment and move it in real time at my leisure. No other game lets me cinematic slow-mo punch someone in the face and watch them fold like a lawn chair. It's stupid little shit like this and the choice to do it -or not- that goes a long way. All the freedom I've come to enjoy is there in spades, and that combined with all the customization options, this game can't possibly disappoint me. There's a reason people have been dying for this game to come out. It's not the graphics. There's just nothing like it, faults or no faults.

Fallout 4. The game where fans feels like they couldn't ask for more and the haters constantly do.

Feel free to shoot me a message if I don't get back to you so I can ignore you there too. Someone lock this shit up.

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying... minus the sexual poses thing? I feel like you should know that thread shitting is a generally frowned-upon thing round these parts. I've gotten a couple temp bans for what was just perceived as thread-shitting, even if that wasn't my intention. Might want to tone down any future responses if they're along these lines. Just sayin'.

As for the topic of the thread -- as many have said it's a bit silly to judge a game as large and long as this based upon a demo of only a few minutes or so. Even a few hours would be a stretch to show the scope. I'm sure it will be the same fallout we've come to expect, which isn't a bad thing at all.

mujun

Brand new world.

Considerable graphics and performance upgrade.

Changing up of the FO3 formula.

That's bigger, better and more badass enough for me.

Wolfie5

After I saw dialogue system and changes to skill system I am more worried about that thatn the game being not so different than Fallout 3.

And let's be honest, this game system and engine is based on Skyrim's in the same way F3 was based on Oblivion. It was obvious that the games will be quite similar.

Has there been any more info on the dialogue system?
I hope the choices you make are clear to you.
The little I have seen didn't tell me much. Though, I didn't like his answer to Cogsworth.

When you chose "Get food", instead of saying something about getting food he said:
"What? Uhhh, sure I guess. Whatever. Leave me alone now I need to think for a minute."
That is really not close to what I wanted him to answer. I hope there is an option where you get to see what he will actually say or something that indicates that choosing "Get food" means leave me alone(lol).

Other than that, I liked what I saw and am excited to play a new fallout game. My most anticipated game this fall, can't wait to play it.

Keep running around calling people sex starved desert dicks whilst defending Bethesda under the premise they offer the best stripping and stuffing corpses under beds in awkward sexual position simulators around - no-ones judging you friend.

Typical. Way to single out and misconstrue the stupid little things everyone who plays these games probably does once or twice for a cheap laugh. That was totally the point of everything I posted. Boy, you sound like big hit at the parties.

No shit people are gonna judge me, I just posted a fucking book. Think I don't know how GAF is? I'm okay with random people taking shots at me on a message board. More than a handful of people probably read what I have posted by now, and there's a few who exactly what I'm talking about. My posts are for them, not people like you who pick out stupid shit in a lame ass attempts to attack peoples character. You started it. Hop off.

Because opinions on what looks good to them and maybe because controversial opinions brings in more traffic.
Exactly. And all of these websites run on generating traffic. A disappointing Fallout showing would generate massive traffic, just like it's done in this thread. Yet, none of them are running a story like this?

Just seems strange.

Drazgul

When you chose "Get food", instead of saying something about getting food he said:
"What? Uhhh, sure I guess. Whatever. Leave me alone now I need to think for a minute."
That is really not close to what I wanted him to answer. I hope there is an option where you get to see what he will actually say or something that indicates that choosing "Get food" means leave me alone(lol).

That'll be one of the most popular mods I'm sure, one that shows the full dialogue lines instead of the vague one word choices. Probably can extract the player lines straight from the game itself, so making it shouldn't even take that long.

liquidtmd

Banned
Typical. Way to single out and misconstrue the stupid little things everyone who plays these games probably does once or twice for a cheap laugh. That was totally the point of everything I posted. Boy, you sound like big hit at the parties.

No shit people are gonna judge me, I just posted a fucking book. Think I don't know how GAF is? I'm okay with random people taking shots at me on a message board. More than a handful of people probably read what I have posted by now, and there's a few who exactly what I'm talking about. My posts are for them, not people like you who pick out stupid shit in a lame ass attempts to attack peoples character. You started it. Hop off.

You sound angry, are thread shitting and a little irrational in all your posts so yes, I'm hopping off.

I hope they put more effort in making indoor areas look different from each other. I don't need a different design for each area, but please stop using one design / motif for vaults, buildings, houses... etc.

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying... minus the sexual poses thing? I feel like you should know that thread shitting is a generally frowned-upon thing round these parts. I've gotten a couple temp bans for what was just perceived as thread-shitting, even if that wasn't my intention. Might want to tone down any future responses if they're along these lines. Just sayin'.

As for the topic of the thread -- as many have said it's a bit silly to judge a game as large and long as this based upon a demo of only a few minutes or so. Even a few hours would be a stretch to show the scope. I'm sure it will be the same fallout we've come to expect, which isn't a bad thing at all.

I'm fully aware of the fact that what I'm doing is generally perceived as being wrong. At the time of the posting I honestly felt as though the thread was already one huge shitpost and that it couldn't really get any browner. I'm not gonna censor myself if a thread is set up on false pretenses and should be called out on it. If I get banned right now I'd be proud to know I spoke my mind exactly as someone should have in this situation. Some people are deathly afraid of being banned from their precious GAF, I'm not one of those people. I've been banned before, I'll be banned again. I'm gonna speak up for the things I like, same as anyone else, and especially in the face of this bullshit.

woopWOOP

The good news is that a recycled Fallout 3 might actually be able to run on my lump of bolts (on the low settings). I'm okay with this!

Drazgul

I hope they put more effort in making indoor areas look different from each other. I don't need a different design for each area, but please stop using one design / motif for vaults, buildings, houses... etc.

Their level design is largely modular, using ready-made set pieces - much like building out of lego pieces. This blog post from some of the Bethesda devs goes into great detail about that process in Skyrim, I very much doubt it has changed much for FO4.

If I found Fall out 3 boring as fuck, is there still a chance of me enjoying new vegas?

General consensus is that NV was the better game of the two so I'd say there's definitely at least a small chance that you too might find it more enjoyable than you found 3 to be. From what I gather, your chances of enjoying NV probably depends more on what you found to be boring in 3 than anything else. Honestly, If 3 was boring as fuck to you, I'm thinking it's very likely NV probably won't grab your attention anymore than 3 did seeing as how they're more similar than they are different.

Tigress

Name me another game that isn't turn based.

Top Bottom