• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 "Fallout 4 looks more and more like a recycled Fallout 3"

You can only do so much with an outdated engine, boggles my mind they didn't focus on building a new one after Skyrim launched, they can't get away with that this gen.

I've basically zero expectations since it was confirmed it was Boston.

I skipped NV, and haven't played FO since 09, so I'm down with replaying myself, but still sucks, I'd like them to progress. Sounds a bit like SF2 to Super SF2.

SJRB

Gold Member
The fact that they're still doing secret "behind closed doors" presentations of a game that's supposed to come out in three months [THREE MONTHS] should be somewhat alarming.

"No gameplay, but please pre-order our Fallout 4 fuck you edition with realistic pip-boy bracelet for your smartphone"

I'm very cautious about the overall quality of the game, but I feel like this statement is more of a deliberate hyperbole. Like it's there only to contrast with the general opinion to stir up controversy. Even if the game is a lot like FO3, that game, like other BethSoft games, has very deeply-rooted and vastly-spread fundamental mechanics. To make "a sequel to Fallout 3" is more about matching its ambition and polishing its systems and structure than necessarily overhauling a bunch of core mechanics - the game's very identity is massive and largely unchangeable.

MattyG

Banned
Really? Because frm what I've seen it looks like there's plenty new stuff. Is the foundation basically Fallout 3? Yeah, but did people expect it to be a completely different type of game?

Why is Boston surrounded by mountains?
Because the massive amount of bombs dropped during The Great War caused entirely new mountain ranges to pop up. It's been a part of Fallout lore for a while. And what exactly does that have to do with the OP?

Euron

The thing that matters above all else is the strength of the quests. I'm fine if the game doesn't look and feel too different from the previous Fallout games but if Bethesda thinks they can get away with the typical quests they've had in their recent games they're sorely mistaken. They could make a game area hundreds of miles long but if it isn't filled with interesting things to do then what's the point?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
For me, graphics and animations have never been at the forefront when it comes to Bethesda's RPGs.

JDSN

Banned
Jesus, not even compared to New Vegas. Whatever, seeing the reaction of people rushing to pre-order Bethesda knows that it matters little how the dialog will probably suffer because of the wheel and the diminished mission, some versions might be crash every 10 minutes, they are still getting those 9s scores.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
As long as the content is good. I rather have the gameplay evolve than the graphics.

whynotboth.gif

It's not an either-or question. Especially from a big-budget games like Fallout you would like to expect graphics in line with what the competition is producing.

That said, I'd personally be ok as long as the performance in terms of frame rate and tearing is rock solid.

Wow that's definitely not a ringing endorsement.

Fallout 3 came out eight years ago, I have zero interest in playing a continuation of the same shit from when I was middle school.

Thats a shame. While FO3 was a fun game its arguably the weakest, if not the second weakest FO game.

edit: Yes a recycled NV would be SO much better.

People excited for Fallout 4 (myself included), aren't really excited because of the visuals/animation. Everything else that we've seen looks like a marked improvement with a lot of new awesome additions. Changes where it counts. This seems a little premature.

In any case, it's still a huge step up over Fallout 3 visually, come on.

Not that I was particularly excited for the game in the first place, but to see it described as a "recycled Fallout 3" just cements my non-purchase.

Come on guys you know what you're going to get with Bethesda Studios. I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for more, but don't be naive and expect a revolution.

+ Big open world with lots of quests and npcs
- Lots of techinical glitches and that good ole Gamebryo jank

I never finished fallout 3. it lost my interested.

The fallout 4 debut trailer did look a bit.... dated. Especially the character models/animatino.
Game still looks to have the same fun fallout vibe/universe.... but at this point I think it's time for something new.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's more about the graphics than the rest:

"The buildings and environments that make up Lexington are incredibly detailed, with rust, battered faux 50s advertising boards, shells, trash and general post-apocalyptic filth littering the streets. This is when the game looks its best. But then you notice that things like the computer terminals from Fallout 3 look exactly the same here, as do other artefacts, to the point where they look lifted without a next-gen polish.

Fallout 4 isn’t an ugly game, but it’s not much of a looker. Fittingly for a game that encourages scavenging and hammering together equipment to survive, Fallout 4 looks recycled. Character models stand out here, with a lack of definition in the Ghouls and Raiders up close. There’s no impressive facial animation to wow over. It’s functional."

Honestly it's more or less my impression, f4 looks like an upgraded f3 graphics-wise, and in fact in the reveal thread many pointed the same.

I have no problem with this because Fallout 3 is the model I want them to use because I like actually having a wasteland that is interesting to explore not one with a few boring ass dungeons to explore and nothing to actually see like New Vegas.

Holy fuck New Vegas was terrible if you like exploring new locations.

Zyae

People excited for Fallout 4 (myself included), aren't really excited because of the visuals/animation. Everything else that we've seen looks like a marked improvement with a lot of new awesome additions. Changes where it counts. This seems a little premature.

Exactly. I dont understand what people expected with the visuals after it was revealed that it was the same engine.

Ogimachi

I'm very cautious about the overall quality of the game, but I feel like this statement is more of a deliberate hyperbole. Like it's there only to contrast with the general opinion to stir up controversy. Even if the game is a lot like FO3, that game, like other BethSoft games, has very deeply-rooted and vastly-spread fundamental mechanics. To make "a sequel to Fallout 3" is more about matching its ambition and polishing its systems and structure than necessarily overhauling a bunch of core mechanics - the game's very identity is massive and largely unchangeable.

Fallout 1 and 2's identities were (even more) massive and largely unchangeable as well, but Bethesda changed most of it anyway. Your argument is very weak here.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's interesting to see how Bethesda seems to get a free pass when it comes to visuals, just because it's Bethesda.

Of course it's a step-up from Fallout 3, but that doesn't mean much. We live in an age where we can have good and complex games which also look great. GTAV, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight. For a juggernaut like Bethesda people don't expect it to stay behind the curve again. Let's not forget Fallout 3 released 7 years ago...

"Fallout games were never about the graphics" is no excuse.

ironcreed

Banned

504.gif

Top Bottom