• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 "Fallout 4 looks more and more like a recycled Fallout 3"

brau

People excited for Fallout 4 (myself included), aren't really excited because of the visuals/animation. Everything else that we've seen looks like a marked improvement with a lot of new awesome additions. Changes where it counts. This seems a little premature.

In any case, it's still a huge step up over Fallout 3 visually, come on.

i also agree with this... i already know that the animations will be a PoS...

But i also know this game will become amazing after mods come into play.

_woLf

People excited for Fallout 4 (myself included), aren't really excited because of the visuals/animation. Everything else that we've seen looks like a marked improvement with a lot of new awesome additions. Changes where it counts. This seems a little premature.

This, this, this.

This is always the case with Bethesda games.

wth they had this game at gamescom and again they didn't share the god damn game!? its comes out in like 3 months, can they stop being so damn stingy with that gameplay footage tho

Kathian

Banned
Its not a big visual leap from Fallout 3 but that's fine. Its the elements being too similar I worry about. Hoping for newer things in the final game but this looks mostly what we can expect in Fallout 3 in a new location.

Vex_

Banned
Oh no, a game i'm excited for is catching criticism? Better call clickbait.

This isnt criticism. The people in this thread already made up their mind about Beth's wonderful future goty!

I am quite frankly disgusted. You all know New Vegas wouldnt even exist without Fallout 3's success, right? Not even the framework for NV would exist. The only reason why NV exists is due to F3 success... and that success came from F3 being a SUPERB GAME!!!

HATERS GONNA HATE

XIG28Pr.gif

and here
we
go

I'm glad that VG24/7's surface observations about a 15 minute combat-oriented demo are enough to confirm GAF's grand cynicism and assumptions. God knows we wouldn't be taking this article seriously if it didn't, for more reasons than one...

“More” could be a set-piece, or an engine upgrade, or jaw-dropping scenery, or new perks and weapons that will make me bark with sadistic pleasure.

This is what they want out of Fallout 4. Weird, I thought I caught glimpses of all four of those things during previews, but what do I know, I'm just paying some fuckin' attention, not writing clickbait.

It's interesting to see how Bethesda seems to get a free pass when it comes to visuals, just because it's Bethesda.

Of course it's a step-up from Fallout 3, but that doesn't mean much. We live in an age where we can have good and complex games which also look great. GTAV, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight. For a juggernaut like Bethesda people don't expect it to stay behind the curve again. Let's not forget Fallout 3 released 7 years ago...

"Fallout games were never about the graphics" is no excuse.
Fallout games are about a lot more than the graphics and the stuff Fallout's engine will be responsible for handling more than validate its reduced fidelity relative to those other games.

Couldn't care less about the graphics or animations. Just give me a massive wasteland to explore, unique weapons to find and VATS and I'm good to go.

Felspawn

if their biggest concerns is not going ga-ga over facial animations, character models and a general visial leap then i'm not too worried

vocab

I never liked Fallout games post Interplay. And I tried. hell, if I tried. I started Fallout 3 like four times, the time I went far was when I reached the city inside a ship or something like that.

I than bought New Vegas because people keep telling it was amazing, very different from F3. I spent like 3 hours on it, and I got bored.

I need to clarify I loved the original Fallout, played two times, played F2 for the half because I need to do a format and I lost my save, I'll probably complete it one day, still it was very good.

The beginning of New Vegas is slow and boring. It honestly doesn't start to get good until you actually get to Vegas. For me personally, once I pursued the main quest the game opened up like crazy, and is a completely different game than fallout 3.

It's interesting to see how Bethesda seems to get a free pass when it comes to visuals, just because it's Bethesda.

Of course it's a step-up from Fallout 3, but that doesn't mean much. We live in an age where we can have good and complex games which also look great. GTAV, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight. For a juggernaut like Bethesda people don't expect it to stay behind the curve again. Let's not forget Fallout 3 released 7 years ago...

"Fallout games were never about the graphics" is no excuse.
I'm not giving them a free pass. I think Fallout 4 genuinely looks good. I bought Skyrim on my 360 and thought it looked beautiful. Oblivion blew my mind in 2006. I'm just saying when the majority of the complaints boil down to its looks, as in here, you know it has a lot of other things going forward it to many.

What? Why? Care to elaborate?

And how do you feel about the death of skills speaking of Fallout's untouchable systems?

What I mean by that is that the base of the game, with things like a heavy focus on individual NPC interaction, Bethesda's quest design, VATS and a lot of inventory and item management, among hundreds of other things, is very broad. There are an awful lot of mechanics that, if changed too much, would cause a lot of outcry regardless of how improved they are because of the cries of "hey, that's not Fallout!" that would come from the series' new fanbase (let's face it, anyone still complaining it's not like FO2 is not even on the radar at this point). And besides that, a lot of things seem embedded into the DNA of BethSoft's own development ability. And I think you see that in how they're building the game - we're hearing a lot about fundamentally flawed things being made "polished" with regards to the shooting systems etc., and a lot about brand new systems like crafting and base building. But anything that's being changed a decent amount is getting an uproar from a bunch of people (like the new dialog system, and skills like you said).

They could overhaul things massively and present a brand new vision for the series, but I think their fanbase at the moment isn't ready for that after just one entry and deep down wants "more, better Fallout 3", and I think they know that.

Apologies if not getting this across very well, it's a hard thing to phrase haha. And probably a little dumb. But my point is I think they can't change it too much, because they and their fans (sitting on the Fallout GAME Facebook group tells me all about this fanbase) wouldn't be 100% pleased with that being presented at this point, odd as it may sound.

Iceternal

I don't understand how Bethesda can get away with all the crap. I don't get the appeal of their games.

Judging from fallout 3 alone, the story, the writing, the gameplay, the art style (characters in the game have ZERO charisma) the graphics and animations are all shit. And I tried to play the game like 5 times to see what was supposed to be so great about it. Went as far as
the father dying
and gave up.

This is something I was quite afraid of. Bethesda has been reusing the same gameplay and graphical elements since the dawn of Oblivion, and it does not age well considering the achievements that have been made with The Witcher 3 and even Inquisition for that matter, even though the latter is considerably worse than the former.

There was a point coming where gamers and press alike would see through the thin veil of Bethesda and truly see how much of an reinvention they truly set in their games, or rather lack thereof. That point has arrived, it seems.

The quests have always been quite fun with a layer of thought put into it, but when your competitors improve upon that aspect a thousand fold you can not just keep on clinging on the same nostalgia part. You have to improve to survive.

nowai

This should surprise exactly no one.

The game at its core is still using the Gamebyro engine. This was apparent from the first looks we saw. They then clarified that it was using Creation engine, which is an updated Gamebyro engine.

I thought NV was a recycled FO3 and I still loved it. I think FO4 looks better but I wasn't expecting a major change to the FallOut games.

Whatever, I just want to wander a new wasteland.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sounds like they are just disappointed by the graphics/animations. What about the actual gameplay/story?? They just say it doesn't look great and they aren't as excited...WHY? Just because of the visuals? Were they expecting it look amazing???

So, eh, thanks for your thoughts VG247.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't think I've ever played a Bethesda game that's not unpleasant to look at. Their games are always butt-ugly.

Sounds like they are just disappointed by the graphics/animations. What about the actual gameplay/story?? They just say it doesn't look great and they aren't as excited...WHY? Just because of the visuals? Were they expecting it look amazing???

No, no, no, don't point those things out! I won't get a chance to act like this article confirms all of my worst fears if you do.

Vex_

Banned
In a sense yeah but also I want something different. Like I loved skyrim. I don't want skyrim 2 for the next ES game. I want them to expand on it much more and bring something new

True. I can dig it. We still need to wait and see for ourselves before jumping to conclusions based on what one site claims they saw. They had 15 minutes for crying out loud people (not necessarily you)!

I think the landscape looks quite different already from what I have seen. The character models/lighting look great as well:

C'mon, guys.

MattyG

Banned
and here
we
go

I'm glad that VG24/7's surface observations about a 15 minute combat-oriented demo are enough to confirm GAF's grand cynicism and assumptions. God knows we wouldn't be taking this article seriously if it didn't, for more reasons than one...

This is what they want out of Fallout 4. Weird, I thought I caught glimpses of all four of those things during previews, but what do I know, I'm just paying some fuckin' attention, not writing clickbait.
Yeah, I could've sworn I saw those things at E3. I feel like some of the people in here aren't reading the whole article to see why they said that, they just saw the title, the 3 pull quotes in the OP and said

tumblr_ma0cjtycmI1rpf23po1_250.gif

UberLevi

Fallout is kind of a sum of all of it's parts, though. You can't really gauge whether or not you'll enjoy an open-world experience until you've crafted your own character and started to discover the stories and people that exist within that world.

Sure, it looks like more of the same on a basic level. That's to be expected from an entry to a series, because it's just building on top of an established formula. The real characteristics that define Bethesda's open world RPGs are the characters and quests that stimulate the game world you're exploring. Those are things that take time to play through the game and discover for yourself.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Yeah, graphics and animation are a distant concern compared to gameplay/story. Article seems like it's just for clicks rather than saying anything substantive.

fedexpeon

Banned

Will you say the same thing with FO5, using the same old engine and assets?
TW3 evolves so much from TW2...but FO4, shrug.

And GTA, each new game always tops the previous one. Visuals, animations, assets, contents, gameplay.
Bethesda is big enough to improve at least their engine after Skyrim...oh well.

Good. I honestly really don't want them to change too much. I'm already against having vehicles. I just want more Fallout 3 and New Vegas and I'm thrilled.

cakely

I'm OK with this, assuming the gameplay has improved.

I felt like I did every possible thing you could do in Fallout 3, in two playthroughs, and I loved almost every minute of it. More of the same is perfectly fine with me.

Ogimachi

I'd argue that they were defined by being changeable if anything, as the core of the series was, "here's what happens to a retrofuturistic society years after the bombs." The very first town you see is Shady Sands, a settlement with completed new structures, farming, and a unique culture. Then when you visit Shady Sands in FO2 it is the NCR: new brick buildings, an established military hierarchy, and a new currency standard so you don't need to trade bottle caps anymore.

FO3 on the other hand subverts the entire concept of new societies growing out of the wreckage. It shows people wallowing in 200 year old filth in blown out buildings that should be long rotted away.

So yeah, they changed it. It isn't about new societies growing, changing and fighting each other. It's about 50's kitch and Mad Max, not Fallout.
That's one of the reasons why F3 sucks, in fact.

Besides the setting and tone, which did change from F1 to F2 (some of which easy to explain, as its 2 generations later), the identity was still the same, as defined by the original Fallout vision statement.

a916

I like the art style behind Fallout 4 (I've hated the art style behind all Bethesda WRPGs...) but even I can admit, the level of fidelity is not up to par from what a AAA developer should be giving us.

Animations still being janky is disheartening too...

jacobeid

Banned
I'm not giving them a free pass. I think Fallout 4 genuinely looks good. I bought Skyrim on my 360 and thought it looked beautiful. Oblivion blew my mind in 2006. I'm just saying when the majority of the complaints boil down to its looks, as in here, you know it has a lot of other things going forward it to many.

Yup. My biggest concern is with the quality of writing. Graphics are far secondary in importance and considering that I'll likely pick this up on PC the mods will do their thing.

Aaron D.

The footage I saw from E3 was enough to get me genuinely excited. So I'm still 100% on board.

Others have all the right in the world to be critical and let down. I'm glad I'm not one of them, but I'm also not fool enough to believe there will be a full wave of criticism come launch window. It's just how it goes with big releases like this.

Won't stop me from soaking in the goodness either way.

Se_7_eN

I play Fallout for the environment, story, and crazy shit that randomly happens in the wasteland.... Fallout 3 had a lot of it, and I can only imagine they added more to Fallout 4.

Can't wait!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I said it in the original announcement thread I believe, or a thread after.

You can tell this game was probably supposed to be for PS360, but maybe they fell behind, or did not expect them to take off so fast.

So instead on focusing upgrading the graphical engine too much, since its gamebryo, and this late in development could wreak havoc (and not the physics kind), they are focusing on polish and locked frame-rates.

The timing of the announcement, and when the game is launching supports that a bit as well.

So if they did focus on polish instead of shaders, then that is for the better for their type of games they produce, IMO.

and here
we
go

Fallout games are about a lot more than the graphics and the stuff Fallout's engine will be responsible for handling more than validate its reduced fidelity relative to those other games.

Yeah, I could've sworn I saw those things at E3. I feel like some of the people in here aren't reading the whole article to see why they said that, they just saw the title, the 3 pull quotes in the OP and said

tumblr_ma0cjtycmI1rpf23po1_250.gif

Yep, how much more could they really have seen of the graphics in a new 15 minute video that couldn't be culled from the previous footage we have all seen?

And as you both said, things like crafting and fort building are huge steps up.

deli2000

I couldn't care less about the graphics and the art style seems fine. What I want is a decently written Bethesda title for once.

Mafro

I never got the mass hysteria and hyperbole over the E3 reveal. I didn't think it looked like that big a jump from F3 and New Vegas, and I won't be surprised if it plays basically the same as well. Just like Oblivion to Skyrim

Top Bottom