• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details multiple devkits evolution of Orbis

If Sony is going to do BC at all this is the only logical way (based on what we have heard):

Bare bones model with no BC (is compatible with BC Accessory)
"Deluxe model" with BC console attachment (see patent)
BC console attachment sold separately (as an accessory)

Regardless I really cannot understand why people get rid of their old consoles and then bitch about BC. Just keep the damn thing. You own it. How hard is it to switch AV inputs? Gah...

It does save space though and some people would like to move their old console to another room for Bluray/DVD/Games

beast786

If Apple released a new ipad that wasn't compatible with any existing app, and then told people they could just keep their old ipad, I think people would be seriously pissed.

apple can't get away with it because they sell new hardware twice or at least once every year. Unlike playstation console.

apple can't get away with it because they sell new hardware twice or at least once every year. Unlike playstation console.

Resetting after every console was fine in the old days, but it makes no sense today with DD platforms. You don't just "reset" those. That's suicide. And I think Sony knows it.

why are people arguing in favor of cell? this generation cell has:

- been a nightmare to develop for
- been large and expensive to manufacture
- had parts of it soldered off because manufacturing the whole thing was unreasonable (the design had 8 SPEs but only 7 were present and fully functional in final silicon)
- kept the PS3 from profitability far longer than should have been the case
- handed dominance of the USA to X-Box

as a PS fan I hope they flush the wrongheaded cell design down the toilet and move on to greener pastures. spend the money that would have been wasted including cell towards things that would actually make PS4 a better system. like a package of glittery stickers, I would rather have that than cell.

todahawk

Resetting after every console was fine in the old days, but it makes no sense today with DD platforms. You don't just "reset" those. That's suicide. And I think Sony knows it.

Yeah, as hard as there's been the push to PSN downloadable titles, especially 'day 1' titles now I don't see how Sony could cut BC completely. There's just no way without causing a huge shit storm and backlash.

beast786

I agree with your overall point. Just was saying that apple analogy is a different case compare to orbis and ps3.

Zukuu

Banned
Will it be more expensive to develop on the next PS or cheaper? Just from a technical aspect, that you need higher res textures etc is obviously.

I mainly want better / more / diverse games. I don't need the next PS4 just to not play UC 4-7, CoD 21-39, AC 3.33, 3.5, 3.66, 3.78,9, 4 etc

PaulLFC

- had parts of it soldered off because manufacturing the whole thing was unreasonable (the design had 8 SPEs but only 7 were present and fully functional in final silicon)

as a PS fan I hope they flush the wrongheaded cell design down the toilet and move on to greener pastures. spend the money that would have been wasted including cell towards things that would actually make PS4 a better system. like a package of glittery stickers, I would rather have that than cell.
Why are you acting as if Cell today is exactly as it was when released, cost and manufacture wise?

- It is likely not there "to develop for" if it was included, its primary use would likely be BC with already-developed PS3 software
- It is now smaller and cheaper to manufacture
- This doesn't matter for BC
- It is now profitable
- To blame just Cell for that doesn't take a number of other issues into consideration

Just because a vocal minority thinks it is incredibly important to have access to some old PSN titles which they already have finished months ago, does not mean it is "suicide". You can still access all your games with your PS3. And no, it is not comparable with mobile phones, because it is perfectly fine to have more than one console hooked up to a TV, it is not the same like carrying two mobile phones.

Ardenyal

spend the money that would have been wasted including cell towards things that would actually make PS4 a better system. like a package of glittery stickers, I would rather have that than cell.

Agreed. I hope they don't go with hardware BC. If they can get some titles working with software BC then fine, but other than that I don't really care at all for BC.

spwolf

I think we are all merely discussing the feasibility of BC. No doubt there must be a minority who would feel wronged for having BC, but for most of us, BC would be nice to have.

i would love to have BC if it was "free", but it isnt. Just like PS2 compatibility wasnt.

Imagine if PS3 had double amount of RAM and didnt have PS2 BC to start with.

Everything we know about this gen would have to been rewritten and PS3 would have even longer life on the shelves. Main thing missing from PS3 right now is memory. If it had double the memory, it would have sold a lot better for various reasons such as party chat, video chat, better looking games, better ports, better OS in game, especially web browser, etc, etc.

Same happens here - for the amount they spend on Cell, they would be able to improve something else for next gen games.

spwolf

While they work, nobody wanted to use iphone games on iPad, right? Main problem of Nexus tablets is that not many apps are made for them, and phone apps/games look like crap.

also - someone suggested BC as easy PS+ content for PS4... Wtf. Mutiny about shitty Sony letting us play only old crappy PS3 games? While I am sure that there would be some, main content would be PS4 games. And PS4 will get plenty of PS4 games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i would love to have BC if it was "free", but it isnt. Just like PS2 compatibility wasnt.

Imagine if PS3 had double amount of RAM and didnt have PS2 BC to start with.

Everything we know about this gen would have to been rewritten and PS3 would have even longer life on the shelves. Main thing missing from PS3 right now is memory. If it had double the memory, it would have sold a lot better for various reasons such as party chat, video chat, better looking games, better ports, better OS in game, especially web browser, etc, etc.

Same happens here - for the amount they spend on Cell, they would be able to improve something else for next gen games.

If they just literally put a PS3 in for BC, isolated from the rest of the system, I'd agree with you. But if they integrated perhaps the SPEs from CELL so they could aid BC but also be used as additional compute resource, that'd be good for PS4 games too.

And it was me suggesting PS3 games for PS+ - I don't see what's so crazy. You can't launch PS+ until your initial games are at least a year or so old, and while people would of course prefer PS4 games, there are plenty of PS3 classics to be introduced to a new audience.

Jack_AG

Banned
Gemüsepizza;46973663 said:
Just because a vocal minority thinks it is incredibly important to have access to some old PSN titles which they already have finished months ago, does not mean it is "suicide". You can still access all your games with your PS3. And no, it is not comparable with mobile phones, because it is perfectly fine to have more than one console hooked up to a TV, it is not the same like carrying two mobile phones.
So there's a shit ton of PS4 content for PS+? That's good to know. Now everyone that makes the PS4 their first PS can hop on that PS+ for all dat PS4 freebie goodness at launch!

Yeah no. BC is a must if nothing more than to push PSN content to as many people as possible. We aren't going to see PS3 remakes so BC is important. Sony can easily make every PS4 owner a PS3 owner in one box - opening up the entire (or 95% of it) PSN catalog to PS4 users - especially first-time Playstation buyers.

It is illogical to not include BC simply from a PSN standpoint.

Including Cell for BC and handling PS4 duties like OS, game audio, etc. Sony can use the Cell for PS4s OS leaving more CPU horsepower for games if they wanted. Just a thought.

BC is coming for sure. The benefits of BC coupled with using Cell and the extra processing it can provide are boons.

Its coming.

Edit:
God damn not refreshing the page on my mobile. Beaten by 2 hours!

Souther

Banned
Unless the PS4 can somehow make PS3 games run better and at a higher resolution(which I am doubting) I could really care less about PS4 BC with the PS3.

Already own a PS3 and it works fine, have no problems using that to play PS3, PSN games.

I can understand the need for it for some people, but if it's going to make the system even more expensive and possibly delay it's release then I am not really for it.

spwolf

If they just literally put a PS3 in for BC, isolated from the rest of the system, I'd agree with you. But if they integrated perhaps the SPEs from CELL so they could aid BC but also be used as additional compute resource, that'd be good for PS4 games too.

And it was me suggesting PS3 games for PS+ - I don't see what's so crazy. You can't launch PS+ until your initial games are at least a year or so old, and while people would of course prefer PS4 games, there are plenty of PS3 classics to be introduced to a new audience.

why cant you have PS+ with 2-3 months old games? Yes you can. And people who buy PS4 will most certainly have PS3 already.

I dont see it happening if Sony has gotten smart and dont want to lose money.

If they are smart, they will provide tools for devs to convert their PS3 games to PS4 easily, while providing better experience/graphics/fps.

beast786

Wait, what is rumoured to happen today?

This is from vgleak a Facebook page

frabz-Brace-yourselves-Monday-is-coming-078620.jpg

Saberus

They never advertised a leak in advance like this before, so I'm assuming its fairly significant. But for what machine?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
the leak will probably be for both orbis/ durango. they mention its their last leak so i am guessing they will go out with a bang.

Is this 05 again? Cell had been relatively easy to manufacture since early 08. And reducing cores for yields is one of the most common practices in manufacturing lol. It's rumored to happen in PS4 too. Your other points are pretty nonsensical so I won't go there.

Perkel

Banned
Can't wait. Every new leak is hype train. It would be amazing if they would announce that Orbis have special hardware unit to deal with IQ mandatory in all games.

IQ is the one which will be most important to this CG look.

Yeah, that was the stupidest part of that post. Every single modern GPU and CPU has built in redundancies allowing for sections with errors to be cut off from the rest of the chip and preserving overall function. And that's over and above the idea of selling salvage parts to be able to offer hardware at a variety of price points. No one builds 3 billion transistor chips that would have to be thrown away if even one transistor malfunctions.

Hydrargyrus

Do you think that PSN games could be played in PS4?.
Because I expect for PS4 to have PSN+ common too, with all the systems integrated (PS4, PS3 and Vita)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What is left for leaks?

- box design: probably nobody has seen it yet, certainly not devs. So very unlikely
- controller designs. Similar to above, but devs might have Heath Robinson mockups to provide similar functionality. Possible to leak more detailed specs, but not final form (which MIT still change anyway)
- more detail on OS usage. Possible, but if leaks are from devs, will they know what background tasks are coming, or would they just be told what resources are restricted.
- secret sauce. Most likely IMO, or a bit more info on the architecture.

Personally I'd like to know more detail about the controllers, although that'd also be a nice surprise to wait for the official reveals. I'm rapidly approaching blackout phase, this tech stuff is going around in circles with too many holes allowing almost any desired interpretation.

Top Bottom