• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: First look as Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, must install)

For some people bashing Durango everyday is their job now,just like MMO's daily mission
larry-hryb-profilebzq58.jpg

All according to Keikaku

The silence from MS has reached ridiculous levels. Not a single jab.

UXuhTgf.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
That's good news. We're getting closer to reveal.
Hopefully the next podcast (which will be, as I pointed out here, live recorded at PAX East) could see some Durango questions from audience members. And next week will probably grant some interesting comments about the next Xbox with all GDC commotion. I wouldn't be surprised to see http://www.xboxevent.com go live next week.

Jezbollah

Exactly. It's not for DRM. It's to keep the system up to date. Says so right in the xdk document. But some people have this need for the DRM rumor to be true. It's usually associated with the need for the PS4 to be more powerful.

quoted from xdk document:
"The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current."

The XDK is for developers isnt it? The whole point of that text, for that software is to write games. It's not the developers remit to decide the DRM situation for the game - that's up to the publishers isnt it?

It being "always online, always connected" IS relevant in terms of the games makers trying to keep their game up to date, however.

So in my opinion, it would make perfect sense for that document not to include information about any DRM or used games protection - because it's irrelevant. Coders dont decide on sales stuff...

RetroStu

Banned
I suppose i would be classed as an 'Xbot' on here as i prefer the 360 pad (although i hate all the console way shite) but pretty much EVERYTHING i have heared about this console would be on my checklist of things i don't want for next generation, i'm not even joking.
Its like Microsoft are trying to build an 'anti-console' designed to destroy gaming for good lol.

Capable of always being connected? Yes please. Wii had it, the next Xbox better have it

Kinect required: Better be if they're including one in every box. If they get voice recognition working as well as Google has, it's a killer feature. Yes please.

Mandatory installs: Again, yes and thank you. I install every game possible right now.

JJD

I could be mistaken, but this very thread is based on the documents he released. And I think provide the genesis for pretty much all info we know about Durango currently.

VGLeaks and pretty much every single other gaming magazine or site (Edge, Digital Foundry even Kotaku) that have run leaks or rumors confirm that they checked with multiple sources before publishing their stories. Some of then never claimed to have cooperated with him in any way.

Sure, some of the first Durango rumors originated from him when he illegally acquired a dev. kit and docs a long time ago. But since then what he has leaked?

Pretty much nothing.

He has mainly "confirmed" or "denied" other rumors and trolled people for a couple months now.

So again, what are his connections to MS? Does he have any inside sources? What new information did he bring to the table besides the old docs and dev. kit leak?

I doubt that he has access to up to date information considering that everything that he leaked he acquired illegally, not from MS insiders and specially considering his current legal troubles.

Dude is basically taking advantage of the notoriety he gained months ago when he leaked his stuff and is trying to stay relevant ever since.

FuturusX

I was entirely joking about Major Nelson. But good to know the origin. I wonder what other bits of meaningless trivia I can stumble upon.

We know that vgaleaks has document from the end of 2012, same documents of not, they are official and relatively recent..

To the best of my knowledge, the leaked XDK documentation is old, but 100% legit.

SuperDAE didn't release those VGLeaks documents (the ones on the OP). Him claiming "I leaked all of the info that VGLeaks releases lol" is a bunch of shit.

Anything new that comes out of SuperDAE's mouth now has absolutely no correlation with reality. Any info SuperDAE had...he has already released.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn the Sony lovers / MS haters are out in force in this thread. I mean at least wait until the actual announcement before making statements like not buying a Durango or PS4 4 Lyfe!

There is no way all of this stuff will be true.

Also Durango will probably end up being the console with the most sales after all the Neogaf hate. The old rule that whatever gaf hates ends up being a resounding success never fails.

Mandoric

Banned
For some people bashing Durango everyday is their job now,just like MMO's daily mission

Serious question: For a manufacturer that never did well outside of US/UK, why are so many Durango system warriors ESL? Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems like a demographic you'd expect to swing Sony.

abadguy

Banned
Serious question: For a manufacturer that never did well outside of US/UK, why are so many Durango system warriors ESL? Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems like a demographic you'd expect to swing Sony.

Anyone who isn't bashing Durango( a console that hasn't even been shown yet)= "Durango System warrior". Gotcha

I'm so at excited and at ease about this upcoming gen. I honestly don't care which is the strongest console. All I care about is that they give the developers what they need to make great games, and there is nothing that I have seen about Durango that indicates they aren't doing that. Who cares who runs at the highest resolution, or who has the most bells and whistles, just give me great and enjoyable games. Make me feel that the console I'm getting is not only a great core games machine, but that I'm also getting a really solid value and set of services with it.

I'm excited about the prospect of how prepared both Sony and Microsoft appear to be to try and outdo one another to earn our support. People tend to overlook these things, but these consoles will be connected in ways that would honestly once seem like a dream for any games console. You remember when this stuff seemed outrageous? Well, we are well beyond that now. In many ways I think people won't appreciate the significance until they see it happen, but this may very well be a bigger features, services and peripherals generation than some think.

In case you haven't noticed, the majority of active GAF members currently (and not just currently) are siding with Sony. There are just a few annoying "Durango system warriors" fighting tooth and nail with equally annoying and much more abundant "PS4 system warriors" in every Durango thread, and unfortunately, just a few reasonable people resisting getting dragged into a sad cesspool of rumor-based FUD. The vast majority of people are blindly jumping the gun, which is depressing, albeit hardly surprising.

By the way, Xbox 360 is doing reasonably well in pretty much all the major markets except for Japan, it's just that others are doing even better in some of them. By the same logic, we could say that Sony isn't doing well anywhere outside of Japan and continental Europe, and it would be just as ridiculous.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
mrcorbo at B3D pointed out an Anand review that summarizes Boinnaire.

So where does Bonaire fit in? Bonaire is of course a GCN part; it’s a new microarchitecture that’s technically different from Southern Islands, but on the whole it’s a microarchitecture that’s extremely close in design to Southern Islands. In this new microarchitecture there are some changes – among other things the new microarchitecture implements some new instructions that will be useful for HSA, support for a larger number of compute work queues (also good for HSA) and it also implements a new version of AMD’s PowerTune technology (which we’ll get to in a bit) – but otherwise the differences from Southern Islands are very few. There are no notable changes in shader/CU efficiency, ROP efficiency, graphics features, etc. Unless you’re writing compute code for AMD GPUs, from what we know about this microarchitecture it’s likely you’d never notice a difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6837/...feat-sapphire-the-first-desktop-sea-islands/2

And above that post someone simply scales the 7790 number by Durango leaks yields:

1.79TF * .8 (800Mhz) *12/14 (number of CUs)= 1.23TF

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1721417#post1721417

Like I said in another post, it is all GCN, there is no magic way to get more performance. Another case of wishful thinking, but there is always the hope MS redesigned the system after the 2012 leaked doc. Cross those fingers for dual GPUs.

Hindle

Banned
It's a dam shame there hasnt been any leaks for the software they're working on. I'd really like to know what that Marlowe Briggs trademark is.

aeolist

Banned

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6837/...feat-sapphire-the-first-desktop-sea-islands/2

And above that post someone simply scales the 7790 number by Durango leaks yields:

Like I said in another post, it is all GCN, there is no magic way to get more performance. Another case of wishful thinking, but there is always the hope MS redesigned the system after the 2012 leaked doc. Cross those fingers for dual GPUs.

Huh they don't have an entirely new GPU microarchitecture ready for this year

WHO COULD POSSIBLY HAVE GUESS THIS AMAZING TURN OF EVENTS

onQ123

I think both the PS4 & Xbox 3 will be making use of the GPU's for compute.

when you look at the changes for 2013 GPU in the APU one of the changes is 'RISC SIMD instructions replace VLIW MIMD' pretty much making the GPU more like a powerful CPU.

SuperDaE continues to shoot down always online DRM rumors.

https://twitter.com/superDaE/status/314680777394769921

untitledm7q3p.jpg

Well, to be frank, he's consistently shot down any negativity behind the Durango rumors, even though MOST (not all) came from him, but then shit on Sony (PS4) any chance he got.

The PS4 has been rumored more powerful for a while, and with the recent RAM increase, it undoubtedly puts it on top, yet he's kept dumping on them.

He's too invested in Sony getting the PR upperhand.

Takuya

Banned
Well, to be frank, he's consistently shot down any negativity behind the Durango rumors, even though MOST (not all) came from him, but then shit on Sony (PS4) any chance he got.

The PS4 has been rumored more powerful for a while, and with the recent RAM increase, it undoubtedly puts it on top, yet he's kept dumping on them.

He's too invested in Sony getting the PR upperhand.

Even if he did hack into Microsoft's and whoever's servers and got access to some documents, doesn't mean he knows what he claims to know. Which documents he got, nobody knows, but his agenda is clear - pro MS, anti Sony. It's also pretty funny how he downplays any Sony related news claiming Durango being better, but he probably doesn't even have Sony docs, otherwise Sony would have gone after him as well.

artist

Banned

Yeah, I pretty much said the same thing in the 7790 thread, the "changes" (from GCN) are pretty much all powertune related + some minor HSA enhancements. That's it.

Still wont stop people from claiming an upgrade.

JJD

Really interesting quote from bkilian on B3D.

Ok. Let me put it this way: I am certain that Xbox management were prepared for the possibility the PS4 might be more powerful than the 720, and, in fact, expected it.

Top Bottom