• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vibram Five Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sprsk said:
I know a guy who swears by these.
They make a strong case for the benefits of running (nearly) barefoot. I had such severe injuries from running in sneakers one time that I couldn't walk properly for weeks. I don't even get blisters with the Five Fingers.

AkuMifune

Banned
There's a review up for them on Tested I found interesting (here), but I'm not ready to look like a fool for the sake of better health.

Plus, I hate toes/feet.

fiz

Neo Member
I'm a very active runner and have heard numerous rants and raves about these shoes. My brother picked up a pair last year and swore by them (he was beginning to get into running/trail running). I visited him for a week and we decided to go trail running on a pretty easy going, if not a little rocky trail. He brought his Five Fingers to prove how great they were. After about 4 or 5 miles he starts to slow down, well I figure it's because he hadn't been keeping himself in great shape. Well it turns out that was only part of the reason. His feet were beginning to fall apart. He's a tough guy and after talking these shoes up for months he didn't say anything. I noticed when we got to the top of the mountain that his green Five Fingers are now a dark reddish green color. His feet were fucked and he could barely leave his house the remainder of the week I was over there.

Don't buy them to go trail running.

santouras

Burli said:
Why can't they just cover the toes over at the end? Your feet are in the exact same kind of support but they look less funky.
being able to split your toes up makes a massive difference to your grip and feel levels, especially if you're going to be doing something like rock climbing.

A big reason for using these kind of shoes is they encourage natural toe/foot movement, which putting your toes in one big sock bunched up/tied together goes against.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I own these. They are awesome.

They especially especially amazing around water. I was in hawaii for 10 days and wore them 90% of the time. You can jump in the pool or ocean, then jump out and do whatever you want with out thinking about it. They dry extremely fast and don't slosh. I wear them all the time camping, swimming, kayaking etc.

If you plan on running in them I would recommend the pair they have specifically for running which have a little more padding in the sole. Bikkala I think is that style.

Takes a couple days to get used to them, and your calves will burn as you get used to using muscles you normally don't while walking in normal shoes.

The stock KSOs are good on most surfaces BUT slick things like relatively smooth granite and rocks with algae on them.

Great shoes that I would recommend to open minded people for specific activities.

EDIT:
fiz said:
*snip* Don't buy them to go trail running.

What kind did he have? the sprint or KSOs would only be appropriate on non rocky terrain, The KSO Treks would be much better for trail running as those actually have some sole protection that the others don't.

Most of the standard styles only have a 2mm mid sole so it would be easy to see why that would not be good for trail running. You can feel every little pebble under your feet. The ones for trail running have at least double the mid sole and more rubber on the sole.

Macam

Banned
I use them to go trail running all the time, but we may be talking about two different kinds of trails here -- I use the Sprint shoes to run on a typical, highly trafficked hike n' bike trail in the city, not some rocky trail out in the countryside. I've hit a few larger, sharper rocks with the less padded Sprints, and it can be mildly uncomfortable, but I've never had anything break the padding or pose any real problems for my feet.

Your mileage may vary (literally, it seems), but I would certainly vouch for the shoes for trail running, provided you get the appropriate kind of shoes for the kind of running you may be doing.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
AkuMifune said:
There's a review up for them on Tested I found interesting (here), but I'm not ready to look like a fool for the sake of better health.
They're not necessary. Studies have demonstrated that you just need to eliminate the heel strike from your stride. That's all you need. Any shoe with a minimalist heel will accommodate that.

Some people rabidly insist that you can only do that running barefoot, but it's BS.

grumble

I've heard that these shoes can kill your feet and legs the first couple of weeks out on a run. Different muscles and all that. Apparently the ball-first running that happens with these does wonders for your feet, ankles, shins, knees and lower back.

Kind of makes you think about our ancestors a little.

Zyzyxxz

What about for regular walking and standing for long periods?

I work in a the food industry and I move around alot but never go running for long periods.

I need something that won't kill me feet and I do love wearing sandals.

Freshmaker said:
They're not necessary. Studies have demonstrated that you just need to eliminate the heel strike from your stride. That's all you need. Any shoe with a minimalist heel will accommodate that.

Some people rabidly insist that you can only do that running barefoot, but it's BS.
Nah, the proprioreception gets all muffled with anything on your feet. If you can work up to it, skin on ground is the healthiest for ankles and joints. I'm on my phone; otherwise I'd link to a researcher looking at the proprioreceptive benefits of barefooting. I'll try to get those links tomorrow.

projekt84

I've owned these for a while. Although I haven't used them enough due to a lot of reasons (too lazy to go out running, I got a hideous blue fatigue color).

They really are good shoes. The first few times I ran in them my entire lower leg was completely sore and destroyed, but in a good way. The more you run in them the better it gets. Run on a treadmill for a bit if the pain is too much, treadmills are lower intensity than running on the actual ground.

I don't like the concept of traditional heel-strike gelled shoes, so these work just fine.

I'm going to do some mountain hiking in mine soon enough.

You have to try them on in a store though, or be prepared to send them back and forth online 2-3 times to get the right right. And you have to account for wearing socks or not, that changes the sizing as well.

Overall a good shoes. A bit pricey, and I wish they made a model that didn't have all the toes separated, maybe just the big toe or no toes separated at all. It feels kind of gimmicky with the toes like that, and I don't see any real benefit in the long run.

Only go KSO or KSO Trek.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I was reading some reports about how unhealthy shoes are (like this one), and I need new shoes anyway so I was looking into possible options.

One that caught my eye was Vibram Five Fingers. They are pretty ugly, but they are relatively cheap compared to other "barefoot shoes" and function over appearance and all that.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on GAF had these or other shoes that simulate being barefoot and what you think about them.

Here's a pic of them.

large.jpg
Those shoes are insanely nerdy. Good luck with the ladies wearing those around.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Price Dalton said:
Nah, the proprioreception gets all muffled with anything on your feet. If you can work up to it, skin on ground is the healthiest for ankles and joints. I'm on my phone; otherwise I'd link to a researcher looking at the proprioreceptive benefits of barefooting. I'll try to get those links tomorrow.
Sorry, but that is pure bunk.

SnakeXs said:
You're a class act.
Am I not stating the obvious truth? I can see them for working out but wearing them out in public for any other purpose is social failure.

I can't imagine footwear that looks any nerdier.

I've been seeing people at the gym with them and they look fine; not nearly as goofy as they look in stand alone pictures. I've wanted them for a while, and finally more stores are carrying them here, so it's probably my next shoe purchase. I'll report back.

salva said:
Those are the ugliest shoes i have ever seen

thank god you don't go to the same gym as i do because i'd probably die of laughter while lifting

Many people wear them in the gym I go to. They swear by them.

BobDylan

Maxwell House said:

Maxwell House
dumb to the last drop.
(Today, 01:20 AM)

these shoes are awesome. I get jealous every time I see someone wearing these. would love to get a pair some day

Freshmaker said:
No, it's fact. Barefoot is best for your feet when walking and running. Who told you otherwise?

And for those who are self-conscious, Nike makes the Free series of shoes that are like these, but look like normal shoes. They have Free 3.0, 5.0, and 7.0, depending on thickness. I have the 5.0 are they are awesome.

Salazar

hsukardi said:
Anyone know where to find a pair of these in LA or SF?

A section of Gaffers seem to think that only vitamin-deficient gumbies would wear them, so you could always steal some.

For the record, I disagree. I'm going to look for some tomorrow.

SmokyDave

I want a pair. They look really comfortable and I'm a foot-naturist at heart.

Salazar said:
I've pulled wearing Crocs, motherfucker.
This too. I'm not worried about what people think of my footwear.

santouras

Maxwell House said:
actually they're a great conversation starter because people want to know what they are and why you're wearing them.

.hacked

Wife got me a pair for my b-day. I war them when we go for dog walks and bike rides. I love them but they are a bit on the ugly side.

Raide

.hacked said:
Wife got me a pair for my b-day. I war them when we go for dog walks and bike rides. I love them but they are a bit on the ugly side.

They should just add some kind of shell that pretends to be a real shoe...that would be awesome.

I've been looking into these for a while but only recently found a bricks and mortar store in London that sells them. Have to make time to go in and get the correct fitting. Thinking of getting the KSO's for everyday use and then the Bikilas for running:

3845.jpg

although I'd probably go for a different colour.

big_z

im going to get a pair this spring for running. i've heard a ton of good word on them and the tested guys started off thinking they were a joke but ended up loving the shoes.

for those that already own these, is it worth using toe socks when using them? mainly for warmth since i live in canada.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Not sure how I missed this thread. I love them. On my second pair and completed a full marathon in them.

I will say though that people who wear them just out and about are really odd IMHO.

DJ_Tet said:
I'm hoping more owners come forward. I've been reading about these shoes for over a year now but can't commit to them. I've got really wide feet so I would need to find a place locally that sells them in various sizes. Did you guys buy them in a store or online?

My feet are extremely wide and they have worked well for me.

painey

When i was volunteering at a triathalon someone was wearing these and every step they took sounded like slapping a huge salmon on the ground. I'd find that more annoying than the feeling of something inbetween my toes

KevinRo said:
What about us weirdos whose 2nd toe is longer than the big toe?
I'd say you're out of luck. You do have to size them perfectly and I think it would be pretty uncomfortable with either a size that would fit your foot (but your toe would be cramped) or a size that could accommodate your toe (but the heel would be too long).

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
big_z said:
im going to get a pair this spring for running. i've heard a ton of good word on them and the tested guys started off thinking they were a joke but ended up loving the shoes.

for those that already own these, is it worth using toe socks when using them? mainly for warmth since i live in canada.

You cannot wear toe sucks, they are too snug. I ran in them in 30 degree F temps and it was ok. Lower than that might be a little much though.

Zoe

Zyzyxxz said:
What about for regular walking and standing for long periods?

I work in a the food industry and I move around alot but never go running for long periods.

I need something that won't kill me feet and I do love wearing sandals.

Have you ever tried crocs? I see lots of people in the service industry wearing them.

adamsappel said:
I'd say you're out of luck. You do have to size them perfectly and I think it would be pretty uncomfortable with either a size that would fit your foot (but your toe would be cramped) or a size that could accommodate your toe (but the heel would be too long).

dammit :(

Freshmaker said:

No need to apologize. I meant proprioception, btw.

Our brains are able to react immediately to external stimuli. When your hand grazes a hot pan on the stove, do you consciously pull back, or is it an involuntary action initiated by your brain?

Putting a slab of rubber in between your feet and the ground retards your brain's ability to respond instantly to changes in terrain, sharp rocks underfoot, sudden elevation changes, etc. This increases your susceptibility to ankle sprains and other joint issues.

Here's a study that looked at ankle injuries in three groups of athletes: barefoot; shod w/ankles taped; shod with ankles untaped.

Compared to barefoot data (position error 1.97 degrees), foot position error was 107.5% poorer with athletic footwear when untaped (absolute position error 4.11 degrees), and 58.1% worse when taped (position error 3.13 degrees). This suggests that ankle taping partly corrects impaired proprioception caused by modern athletic footwear and exercise. Footwear could be optimized to reduce the incidence of these injuries.

Sure, ankle taping improved foot awareness while in shoes, but it was always better barefoot.

Check out Steve Robbins, an MD who's been studying this stuff for decades. He's got a ton of relevant papers on the subject.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I have a pair and I love them. Take a bit of getting used to; pulled my achilles a couple times in the beginning, but now they're great. Still not too comfortable running on sidewalks, but grass feels wonderful. Mid to tall grass always gets stuck between my big toe and the next toe, though. :lol It's funny to be jogging and suddenly look down to have a flower stuck on your foot.
salva said:
Those are the ugliest shoes i have ever seen

thank god you don't go to the same gym as i do because i'd probably die of laughter while lifting
I wouldn't personally ever wear them lifting. Prefer the greater protection of standard shoes.
Gilby said:
I have been barefoot/forefoot running for about 8 months now. There are other, cheaper options. Water Shoes. Mine cost me 8$ and provide all the benefits of a "barefoot shoe" for a fraction of the cost (the only thing better is actually going barefoot, but that's not always an option). They will wear out quicker than vibrams, but for someone just starting out they're the perfect entry point. I might get a pair of vibrams some day, but so far water shoes have worked just fine, and my calves are really starting to tone up.

Answer: WATER SHOES
I used to wear water shoes before I got the vibrams. They feel really, really, really different in practice. Water shoes basically just feel like light normal shoes. Vibrams feel completely different.

Macam

Banned
big_z said:

You can wear toe socks with them, but I never do (then again, I'm in Texas). I did wear socks with the shoes briefly when up when I was in the Pacific Northwest, but since I was around a lot of water (beaches/forests, etc), the socks just ended up absorbing a lot of the water and making my feet colder than without. There may be similar socks to the Injinji socks I use that aren't made of absorbent cotton material, in which case, if you're going to be running in cold temperatures, its probably worth wearing, but generally, if the weather is mild and/or warm, you don't really need socks for the Virbams.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
eGpUq.jpg

A friend of mines father owns a shoe store so I got to give these bad boys a test run, did a few laps in my local track with them on and decided they weren't for me. I guess I'm just conditioned to the feeling of the weight on my feet. They definitely work better on grass/soft surfaces though.

They say they reduce pain+stress+chance of injury but I didn't notice that.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
KevinRo said:
What about us weirdos whose 2nd toe is longer than the big toe?
My second toe is a little longer than my big toe and they still feel great. My pinky toe barely takes up 1/2 to 2/3 of its little sleeve and it still feels fine.

You really just have to try them on to know if they'll work or not.

Conceited said:
eGpUq.jpg

A friend of mines father owns a shoe store so I got to give these bad boys a test run, did a few laps in my local track with them on and decided they weren't for me. I guess I'm just conditioned to the feeling of the weight on my feet. They definitely work better on grass/soft surfaces though.

They say they reduce pain+stress+chance of injury but I didn't notice that.
I kind of hate to be "that guy," but a lot of the time they feel pretty awkward until you run in them for about two weeks or so. I ran once every two or three days, only about a mile each day, and it took me about 2 or 3 weeks to get used to it (at which point I think I picked up the pace and distance too much because I ended up pulling my achilles). A few laps really doesn't give you a good feel for them.

Unfortunately, they start around $80 or so IIRC, so spending that much on them without even knowing if they'll work for you is a gamble a lot of people can't take.

big_z said:

I would think that socks would make them feel less natural and defeat the purpose a little, but I haven't actually tried it. I live in Texas so I haven't needed them in cold weather, but I've been looking forward to this winter so I can find out what it's like. That said, the Flow model is made with neoprene and are supposed to be better for cold weather.

eznark

Banned
CaptYamato said:
A lot of people wear them here in the valley.

That's great, but for a 30 mile hike up a granite dome? I thought he was nuts. Of course, my light hiking boots would probably have felt like concrete shoes to that guy

Esch

Banned
everyone i know who has a pair LOVES them. Not super fashionable, but I'd be using it for running/sports anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom