• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game developers confess their hidden tricks at last

Lots of neat tricks to make the player feel better.

Reminds me of DMC3 where enemies never start an attack offscreen, so no cheap shots. Or how you're invulnerable until the peak of your jump it roll, to give you the feeling of barely escaping.

DMC4 does that as well, as I recall. It's smart design. More action games should have taken the hint.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm really staggered people are shocked at the "turbo doesn't actually give a real speed boost" thing.

This is why my friends and I used to spam the fuck out of the golden mushroom in Mario Kart 64. We figured out the speed boost was effectively negligible so the only way actually make any progress was to spam the ever loving fuck out of it.

beeswax

The Alien Isolation one was obvious af, to the point where it just annoyed me so much I quit and didn't bother going back. Did anyone who played this genuinely think the AI was in any way intelligent? Cautious play style in that game, which surely is the point, completely exposed the inner workings.

McNum

On the "random numbers that lie" front, modern Fire Emblem games flat out lie about their chances to hit.

A 90% chance is not 90% chance to hit. It's about 98%. It's called True Hit and essentially the game rolls for accuracy twice and takes the average of the two rolls. Meaning numbers higher than 50% get inflated and numbers lower than that get deflated. (Exactly 50% is not a lie, though.) So do take those 80% (~92%) rolls, but avoid taking 20% (~8%) rolls.

Note that this affects both player characters and enemies, and Critical Hit chances are exactly what they say. It's only actually hitting the enemy that's lied about.

Patch13

On the "random numbers that lie" front, modern Fire Emblem games flat out lie about their chances to hit.

A 90% chance is not 90% chance to hit. It's about 98%. It's called True Hit and essentially the game rolls for accuracy twice and takes the average of the two rolls. Meaning numbers higher than 50% get inflated and numbers lower than that get deflated. (Exactly 50% is not a lie, though.) So do take those 80% (~92%) rolls, but avoid taking 20% (~8%) rolls.

Note that this affects both player characters and enemies, and Critical Hit chances are exactly what they say. It's only actually hitting the enemy that's lied about.

Interesting. I wonder how many tactics games do this. It definitely makes the outcomes match people's intuitive understanding of probability better than relying on the outcome of a single roll. The gods of chance are harsher than we typically believe them to be :)

mokeyjoe

For the time I always liked the AI in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Especially the bots in Perfect Dark. Low level ones acted like they didn't know where you are while the last two difficulties would go right for you immediately as you spawned. The only thing they never really adjusted for in any difficulty was their ability to use melee/some secondary effects which they just couldn't handle and their near god like use of the lowly grenade launcher. Even the scrubbiest AI knew exactly how to bounce shots to get you every time.

I agree, especially in Pefect Dark. It was fun AI, not good AI. But they'd do dumb things and were exploitable and just fun to shoot. I think the slower pace of those games also helped.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Really?

Mario Kart games made this incredibly obvious.

Mario Kart 64 was the moment I knew.

My first real experience with racing games that used a boost mechanic was NFS Underground 2 back in 2004, where motion blur was used liberally.

A lot of the hidden math is exposed because of the PC version, but bonding with your buddies in MGSV sticks out to me as a neat hidden detail.

I assumed that your bond level for your buddies increased after a successful mission or side op, but it's actually much deeper than that. Every little action and interaction with them on the field increases or decreases the bond meter a bit. Your buddies will grow to like you much faster if you're giving them constant orders or...staring at them on the helicopter. It's weird, but I assumed the system was a lot more simple.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Quiet

Dead Man

I'm really staggered people are shocked at the "turbo doesn't actually give a real speed boost" thing.

This is why my friends and I used to spam the fuck out of the golden mushroom in Mario Kart 64. We figured out the speed boost was effectively negligible so the only way actually make any progress was to spam the ever loving fuck out of it.
Yup. Hated the gold mushroom, couldn't even dump it.

Nasbin

DMC4 does that as well, as I recall. It's smart design. More action games should have taken the hint.

Almost every action game does implement something like this. Offscreen AIs are usually less aggressive and prevented from using some abilities like offscreen projectiles to avoid what feels like a cheap shot to the player. Exploiting this is pretty important for fighting multiple Berserkers at once in Ninja Gaiden, for example.

Lo_Fi

I remember years ago reading about how during playtesting for the original Borderlands, one of the complaints was that the characters moved too slowly. What they ended up doing was adding more graphical objects and textures to the open areas like small rocks and vegetation so to give a better visual feeling of movement as they scroll towards and past the player character.
They gave the game back to the playtesters and they claimed it was much better!

Sort of similar, a designer friend of mine tells a story (that is true) that goes like this:

A dev team making a racing game had an executive/publisher type come in to try the game. After playing, he told them the game felt too slow.

Instead of changing the cars speed, they changed the car's color to a bright red. They then told the executive they tweaked things, but didn't tell the executive what changes they made.

The guy came back the next day and said it felt much faster, and felt like a great racing game.

Phreak47

Really?

Mario Kart games made this incredibly obvious.

Mario Kart 64 was the moment I knew.

Yup, especially when you got the glowing mushroom. Repeatedly hammering it at any rate of speed gave you the same rate of nominal speed increase.

Edit: see others have made this observation already, haha...

v1perz53

Man this is a cool read, I love this kinda stuff. Goes to show little things you think about when designing a game that most people wouldn't even consider.

Also entertaining is reading the posts I was 100% sure would be in this thread, of all the NeoGAF posters who absolutely knew many of these things before, and are shocked that other people didn't know them and can't understand how it is possible hah.

Believe me, the alien one was obvious, and the game is quite overrated for subpar AI, forced areas all through out, linear areas and forced combat to an extent.

Not only are the alien areas annoying, but its completely forced, you would hope that they can eventually create a game where the alien is actually roaming the whole ship and going after real AI in real time so you can just play the game in a more realistic fashion. That would be pretty sweet.

Enemies in games don't detect things the way humans do. There's no real analog to deriving visual information from a 2D projection of a game world and then contextualizing it, the way people see things on a computer monitor and then react to it.

In other words, AI generally directly pulls player state information (position, etc) then decides what to do with it. Or, in other words, enemies in games are generally all omniscient to begin with, and then crippled in various ways by their algorithms. (e.g. is a player entity in LOS, etc)

Granted, something like a singular, more significant enemy like in Alien Isolation probably has more complex routines than cannon fodder, but yeah.

Yes, but its the games objectives and structures that also force all of this. Games like this need to advance to more physical, weight properties so that random things break by how you play. So that the AI goes after other AI and the ship is made as a whole hub world where the alien goes after food and things in an order for what it hears and where it can or cant go. Based on clever sound design and level creation. Not just forced to look for you in this level and this specific room blah blah blah

tsundoku

That one about FEAR's AI dialogue was interesting. I believe Half Life's Marines did stuff like that. Like they would yell "he's over there, flank him!" even though the AI couldn't actually do it. They said it to increase tension and keep the player on their toes.

uncharted the lost legacy sure as fuck did this and then also took multiple minutes to get around to ever throwing a grenade

tsundoku

for a thread of praise i have to drop a line as an indie dev and a >>>compentent<<< video game player i notice all of these and they patronize me really hard and its a good way to buy your game a steam refund because i'm not a moron

e: the fat majority of these are designed to solve problems with shooting games and fps which are boring to the core because they can't actually offer the player a real challenge and have to resort to this AAA level fake gameplay garbage

Ri'Orius

Didn't the speed boost help a lot when you were off-road? I remember using them to cut corners and I was pretty sure it was way faster than cutting them without the boost...

As for the topic, IIRC in the original inFamous rocket launcher enemies would always miss you if they weren't on screen, since they were basically one-hit KO's and it'd feel cheap if you got surprised by one. But I believe if there was just one guy with an RPG, and you turned your camera way from him, you'd just see rocket after rocket go past...

Ooh, this one's hot!

"The Suikoden's world map is made to not frustrate players. If players walk in a straight line, less enemies will appear, bc they're clearly Trying to go SOMEWHERE and don't want to waste time. If players zig-zag around, more enemies will attack, to help them grind."

I'm pretty sure a few RPGs with random encounters did this. Remember how I walked a straight line because it felt like it triggers less fights.

Yep. It's not just Halo 2 either. I've been asked that in quite a few games.

I haven't played it, but I think what they mean is that it asks you to look up then based on if you pull the joystick back or push it, that determines if your invert setting is enabled or disabled. Not the silly cod "Hey look up for me", "did you like that setting?"

for a thread of praise i have to drop a line as an indie dev and a >>>compentent<<< video game player i notice all of these and they patronize me really hard and its a good way to buy your game a steam refund because i'm not a moron

e: the fat majority of these are designed to solve problems with shooting games and fps which are boring to the core because they can't actually offer the player a real challenge and have to resort to this AAA level fake gameplay garbage

I bet you're fun at parties.

I always wondered if enemy AI were just recordings done by the developers playing as the enemy? Is that true at all?

Some pathing can be done in a pre-defined manner, but for all enemy behavior to be pre-recorded makes no sense. The game needs to react to the player in a meaningful way, and that can't be achieved if everything is predefined.

Daeoc

I'm pretty sure a few RPGs with random encounters did this. Remember how I walked a straight line because it felt like it triggers less fights.

Yeah I figured that out somewhere in my multiple playthroughs of Suikoden. It is like staying on the road in Final Fantasy VIII.

I can't look it up at the moment but the guy who did the Battletoads arcade game admitted that the last boss didn't actually take any damage (no matter how much you shot at him) for the first few minutes or so of the fight, just so it would suck more quarters out of you.

Lo_Fi

Eh, depends on what the game is going for and what a specific player wants.

i.e. Uncharted is about spectacle and adventure - as long as that is communicated/accomplished through these tricks, I don't really care about having some super-challenging "realistic" battles.

BigEmil

Suikoden ones is awesome

Next time I play it again I'll choose to go straight or not depending on the circumstance

I can't look it up at the moment but the guy who did the Battletoads arcade game admitted that the last boss didn't actually take any damage (no matter how much you shot at him) for the first few minutes or so of the fight, just so it would suck more quarters out of you.

That's fucking evil, lol.

ASaiyan

Banned
This was quite a surprising and interesting read. Had no idea about most of these little fudges behind the scenes.

I particularly like all the games that keep track of player performance in the background and scale the difficulty to match. It's cute and highly considerate of player enjoyment; everyone wins, yay! :)

Dremorak

Banned
Working on mobile games we had to cheat a whole lot to get the desired final result. I was quite proud of some of the solutions we came up with, like one isometric game had 3 different cameras rendering the environment, the characters and the buildings so that we could have flat planes and shadows that worked on a very low budget resources wise. If you saw what the world looked like from the side it was a hellscape hahahaha.

Freddo

Ooh, this one's hot!

"The Suikoden's world map is made to not frustrate players. If players walk in a straight line, less enemies will appear, bc they're clearly Trying to go SOMEWHERE and don't want to waste time. If players zig-zag around, more enemies will attack, to help them grind."
Whoa, awesome.

big_z

Except it kinda wasn't.

A lot of the criticisms thrown at Isolation had to do with the AI obviously knowing where you are at times. You can definitely feel the gears turning in the background. The double AI thing doesn't feel very hidden.

It doesnt unless you play poorly.

It knows where you are based on sound and activity in the environment. When it's in the vent its listenting for any activity then it will head that direction if it hears something. It will also start randomly choosing rooms to travel if nothing has perked its interest in a while.

Once it enters a space it switches to a metal gear noise/visual cone.

The ai is really well done and once you realize how it works you can begin to trick it to your advantage. I would love a sequel to see how they can developed it further.

Woahwegotabadassoverhere

Wow, so many of these are really fascinating. It's almost like believing in Santa for decades, then finding out he's not real, but SOMEHOW I manage to get a present from Santa? It's not at all disappointing to learn some of these things, they're pretty clever!

I think I like this blurb about Silent Hill Shattered Memories the most. Not only because of all the under-the-hood programing they did for various AI actions, but how it could affect how a Game Reviewer could perceive a game in a different way than normal players would. Definitely reinforces the idea of not holding onto Reviewer's experiences as pure fact of what a typical player will experience.

0cff399ed9.png

EDIT: oooh found another gold nugget, multiplayer even!

359a8df998.png

In GTA games, when you're driving in a situation where you can't see the road in front of you (like when you start driving down a hill, or when you reach the top of a hill), the game doesn't (or is less likely to) spawn cars in front of you. That way, you don't run into any cars you can't see while driving.

tesqui

One of my favourite episodes of Game Makers Toolkit covers the auto difficulty scaling from Resident Evil 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFv6KAdQ5SE
Or more importantly, it covers how the game did it and didn't tell you.

I really enjoy Mark Browns stuff, give him a watch if you guys haven't already.

This is probably my favorite development secret. I'll have to give that video a watch.

it's crazy that Capcom never went public about it. Sounds like something they could advertise pre-release as having "The perfect difficulty for all gamers"

shockdude

This is really obvious in arcade racers with a speedometer; you hit the boost and get the nice motion blur and fisheye effect but only go like 10MPH faster than top speed. Boost tends to be most effective at low speeds, since it increases acceleration and lets you reach top speed much earlier.

Related note: in Burnout Paradise, cars have an infinite transmission. Even at top speed, cars keep making acceleration and gear upshift noises to give the impression of "always going faster."

That shit surrounding online multiplayer mechanics is astounding. I wonder how much of this crazy "under-the-hood" trickery is present in games like Destiny and Overwatch...

Top Bottom