• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi now owns 25.15% of Ubisoft (nearing 30% hostile takeover point)

BHK3

Banned
vivendi is gonna fuck up it even more, and honestly? You're alone at that.

Watch Dogs 2 is great. Siege is fucking awesome. They took the feedback and are making The Division better. AC is on a break. They greenlit Beyond Good & Evil 2. And their future line-up looks great, too.

Yea that washes away the years of garbage they've been putting out. Oh yea it's great that Division is good now, when did it come out? March? Nothing but excuses because everyone liked 1 single game from them over a period of many years, good riddance.

A big company with Vivendi is naturally risk-averse. So you can expect titles like Far Cry Primal, For Honor, etc to not be made anymore and you can expect games to get whiter and manly again as they'll only care about catering to what they see as the largest market.

Yeah, for all the stuff they get wrong, IndyUbi is far more attractive than Vivendi's grubby mitts. When/If Vivendi prevails, there's also nothing stopping them form selling their stake in a few years to someone even worse.

that said, please stop making the same game in three different franchises with a different setting each time and expecting us not to notice. Though under Vivendi it'll be 7 different identical open world franchises.

Yea that washes away the years of garbage they've been putting out. Oh yea it's great that Division is good now, when did it come out? March? Nothing but excuses because everyone liked 1 single game from them over a period of many years, good riddance.
The ubi hate is strong

If a company is actively improving, then it helps. They've got multiple good games btw. Some of the vitriol thrown at ubi is ridiculous.

theWB27

You sound like it's personal. On top of being wrong.

I like how you said one single game when the guy you're quoting mentions at least two great games.

GavinUK86

Ubisoft have been putting out turds with an odd bright spot here and there so this will either give them a kick up the ass to do something different or maybe they'll put out better stuff under new management. It's been pretty interesting to watch this develop either way.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I like how you said one single game when the guy you're quoting mentions at least two great games.
Revisionist history and post truths are like at an all time high when it comes to the discussion of Ubi's games on GAF.

What nonsense are you even talking about?

adversarial

Will never understand this toxic ass mindset. Dude's pouring their life into creating art that you don't enjoy? "Fuck them I hope their company gets taken over!" Blows my mind.

theWB27

Ubisoft have been putting out turds with an odd bright spot here and there so this will either give them a kick up the ass to do something different or maybe they'll put out better stuff under new management. It's been pretty interesting to watch this develop either way.

People keep saying stuff like this when they do more "different" than most any other publisher out there. Why are people so stuck on this.

GavinUK86

People keep saying stuff like this when they do more "different" than most any other publisher out there. Why are people so stuck on this.

"Different". If you say so. My opinion isn't going to change. A lot of Ubi games are turds that they try to keep polishing after release. They do have a couple decent ones, Watch Dogs 2 was pretty fun if not very generic, but then you have The Division and Steep. 1 step forward, 2 back.

theWB27

"Different". If you say so. My opinion isn't going to change. A lot of Ubi games are turds that they try to keep polishing after release. They do have a couple decent ones, Watch Dogs 2 was pretty fun if not very generic, but then you have The Division and Steep. 1 step forward, 2 back.

While any other publisher wouldn't even take the chance to fail with a title like Steep nowadays.

Carry on though.

Roo

I honestly don't see the quality of their games improving under Vivendi's management.
Quite the opposite, actually

I don't know how you could possibly describe WD2 as generic. It's full of personality

How about Rainbow Six Siege? Far Cry Primal? AC Syndicate? South Park? For Honor? All games that released to great reception or are previewing very well.

its interesting how Yves and the current board have been unable to get investors to help them shore up their controlling rights.

Still this is the risk you take when you go public and take that cash windfall, no sympathy from me.

I guess they won't be making any games for Switch then...
I don't think that's the problem

What will happen is the type of games portfolios will change be it Switch or other.

I think we will see less new experimental IPs and more the flavor of the generation

TDLink

I really hope BG&E2 gets out there (or at least in a completed enough state where they can't can it) before this takeover happens.

Since it's targeting 2018 apparently I doubt that of course. This shit will definitely go down at some point next year :/

jett

D-Member
raw

Ubi consistently takes risks more than other big publishers. They put out stuff like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. They gave us TWO 2D Rayman masterpieces in the 2010s, when only indie devs and Nintendo make hay off of 2D platformers. There is no effing way Vivendi greenlights any of that.

The eventual Vivendi acquisition is going to be awful. I'm sure that BG&E 2 is gonna get cancelled, too. Everything that isn't an immediately exploitable IP is probably getting canceled.

Damn, this is gonna suck. I'm not the biggest on Ubi's bigger franchises, but they've always been willing to give more experimental games a shot. Their VR lineup was one of the bigger of the bigger 3rd parties as well. Hoping they can pull through somehow.

Top Bottom