• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi now owns 25.15% of Ubisoft (nearing 30% hostile takeover point)

It's like they're downloading the company through UPlay.

17346_0.jpg

Almost as ruthless as Bolloré.

I call it the Trump effect. "Any change is better than the current status quo!!".

Great strategy!

Well if I'm not interested in 95% of Ubi catalogue and the 5% I do is stuff like Child of Light or Rayman which we haven't seen in years then what exactly do I risk losing ?

Why 30% is the takeover point? What if Ubisoft was able to get to 30% themselves, with the help of another company (I know this is highly unlikely but I'm trying to understand the 30% threshold here).

Kalentan

This makes me sad. I just got Werewolves Within and hoped the game would get continued support. :( Makes me worry if Vivendi takes over that they should have Red Storm ignore it. :(

Stiler

Why are they trying so hard to takeover Ubisoft?

I mean they had bloody Activision/Blizzard and they let them go, so why get back into the games business yet again?

Why are they trying so hard to takeover Ubisoft?

I mean they had bloody Activision/Blizzard and they let them go, so why get back into the games business yet again?

The Vivendi management at the time of the Acti-Blizz separation fucked up by letting them buy out of the merger, and Bollore has said this on numerous occasions. They're going for Ubi seemingly because the pricetag isn't too far out of reach and they'd have a sizable portfolio and brand recognition.

Chev

Um why doesnt UBI just move then? Transfer the company to where they would have a more favorable outcome?
They're a publicly traded company. That would change nothing. And they can't become a private company because of course they'd need their shareholders to authorize it and why would they?

It's so stupid the founders of their own company can't stop this.

That's what happens when a company is on the stock market. Unless they have enough shares to retain control or some plan to execute to avoid a hostile takeover they're an open target for any big conglomerate.

I thought you guys said Vivendi was good for them :(

Didn't they take over Activision and make games as service a better thing?

I am most concerned about Rainbow 6, which has been proving itself as the little train that could. I worry about a future for Siege if Vivendi doesn't think highly of it, or tries to alter in such a way to make it more accessible or ruin the nature of the game, or flat out kill Siege altogether for a different Rainbow 6 title

Kill3r7

It's so stupid the founders of their own company can't stop this.

I am sure they liked getting paid when they sold those shares. If you want to be a publicly traded company this is one of the real threats you have to be prepared to face. Maybe Yves and company should have kept a controlling number of shares.

"Different". If you say so. My opinion isn't going to change. A lot of Ubi games are turds that they try to keep polishing after release. They do have a couple decent ones, Watch Dogs 2 was pretty fun if not very generic, but then you have The Division and Steep. 1 step forward, 2 back.

Watch Dogs 2 was generic? It felt like the opposite of generic. More than half my time in that game is platformimg and puzzle solving. How many open world games let you go almost entirely non lethal? Just saying I know you said your opinion won't change.

So what happens if Vivendi reaches 29.99% ownership and keeps flip-flopping between 29.98 and 29.99? Will they get arrested for keep giving Ubisoft heart attacks?

Joni

Why 30% is the takeover point? What if Ubisoft was able to get to 30% themselves, with the help of another company (I know this is highly unlikely but I'm trying to understand the 30% threshold here).
The law simply says at this point someone really needs to put their cards on the table.

Adnor

Banned
Goddamnit, Ubisoft doesn't deserve this, yeah Might & Magic is dead now, but at least they tried with X and Heroes :(

Dremorak

Banned
As a former employee of a company that Vivendi assimilated into its collective, our studio was closed down as part of our CEO's defense strategy.

I think I have a unique perspective on all this:

They are all as bad as each other. Neither the Guillermot's nor the Vivendi higher ups give a flying shit about video games, its all one big pissing contest.

They'll probably beg Nintendo to fund it, after the takeover.
/s just in case

Nintendo should just pony up a couple of billion and buy a majority stake. They've always worked pretty well together and adding Ubi's portfolio as exclusives would give the Switch an immeasurable boost.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That's what happens when a company is on the stock market. Unless they have enough shares to retain control or some plan to execute to avoid a hostile takeover they're an open target for any big conglomerate.

I don't get it, don't most companies protect themselves from such a contingency? It seems foolish for any big company that's publicly traded to just be taken over by any large conglomerate.

What stops Vivendi from just controlling shares to any random game developer on the market?

Nintendo should just pony up a couple of billion and buy a majority stake. They've always worked pretty well together and adding Ubi's portfolio as exclusives would give the Switch an immeasurable boost.

UBI Soft is TOO BIG. 5,000 employees and like 8 large game studios. Unless Nintendo had a 100+ million userbase again, that output wouldn't make sense for the smaller typical Nintendo audience.

tilomite!

Count me as one of the people that would prefer a takeover does not happen. Ubiskft has their hits and misses, but I prefer their work overall and don't know what to expect from the takeover.

Joni

Seeing how Ubisoft treats its creative people I don't think they would see much change. This is the company that fired desilets, then bought his game studio from thq, then fired him again.

See: Blizzard for how this is NOT the case.
Blizzard did quite well when Vivendi owned it from 1998 to 2008.

It's crazy that Vivendi is so hellbent on getting Ubisoft. I'm still trying to figure out what they have to gain by doing so?
Equity capital.

Yikes, this is more than what EA tried to do to Ubisoft years ago.
Vivendi used to own the majority of Activision Blizzard, no? I don't think this hostile takeover as is doomed as you think it might be.
Ubisoft is extremely pissed off at this almost solely on the fact that majority of the Board of Directors consist of the Guillemot family, and a hostile takeover would disrupt their family empire.

Vivendi is billions in debt and back in 2013 (IIRC) was looking to suck Activision-Blizzard coffers dry just before Kotick and Co. Presented them with a buy out. The suits at Vivendi ended up viewing taking that deal as a mistake so they will take over Ubisoft do what they planned on doing with Activision-Blizzard and probably kill the company in the process while funneling everything of value out of it.

Vivendi is billions in debt and back in 2013 (IIRC) was looking to suck Activision-Blizzard coffers dry just before Kotick and Co. Presented them with a buy out. The suits at Vivendi ended up viewing taking that deal as a mistake so they will take over Ubisoft do what they planned on doing with Activision-Blizzard and probably kill the company in the process while funneling everything of value out of it.

Maybe I don't understand business well but...

How the heck is ubisoft at risk from being bought out by a company billions in debt?

jelly

Could just take the money when the time comes and if they are passionate about games, start over. It sucks for Ubisoft employees if it goes tits up but some of rich folk could build up again and hire ex employees. I know it would be a hard road but if it's inevitable, look to the future.

Maybe Valve could partner with them, drop uPlay, help with VR content etc.

Joni

Could just take the money when the time comes and if they are passionate about games, start over. It sucks for Ubisoft employees if it goes tits up but some of rich folk could build up again and hire ex employees. I know it would be a hard road but if it's inevitable, look to the future.

Maybe Valve could partner with them, drop uPlay, help with VR content etc.
The bosses don't make games and they never did.

Kill3r7

How the heck is ubisoft at risk from being bought out by a company billions in debt?

IIRC, Vivendi has something to the tune of $10Billion in liquid assets. So I think they can acquire Ubi pretty easily. Alternatively, they must have a line of credit.

Malakai

No. Never. After the years of half ass and bad games that Ubi$hit purposely released on Nintendo platforms, Ubishard is getting what it deserve.

Credit, as long as they can make their payments they're fine. They currently have, at least from my brief searching, a BBB credit rating which AFAIK is considered lower medium-grade. Using Ubisoft and its assets to pay off and maybe unload a good chunk of their debt would help improve that rating so then get more credit and continue playing the shell game.

Top Bottom