• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi now owns 25.15% of Ubisoft (nearing 30% hostile takeover point)

Charamiwa

Banned
Grats on the friendship?

OT - Hypothetically if Vivendi took over a controlling stake what that mean for the games Ubisoft makes?

It's impossible to tell but there are precedents in the french cultural landscape that can tell us what a Vivendi take over might look like. I'll repost what I said some time ago :
If you're wondering what a takeover from Bollore's Vivendi might look like, you guys should look no further than iTélé, the non stop news channel, sister of Canal+. They were the second biggest news channel in France, and with Vivendi now in charge a lot of things have changed. Lately they hired Jean Marc Morandini, a notably sleazy tv host who's famous for doing basically shitty provocative tabloid content. Right now he has even trouble with the law as he's been known to take advantage of teenage boys during casting calls, asking them to remove their clothes and masturbate (allegedly). This is the kind of guy Bolloré and Vivendi thought would fit perfectly into their new vision for this once respectable news channel.

As a result, a lot of key members of the station left, and the channel has been on strike for three weeks straight now. That's three weeks of non content and reruns. As a result they missed the french republican primary debate which they were supposed to host and was a huge deal for them. They weren't even allowed to be on the air to explain the situation and the reason for their strike. The channel is essentially dead right now and is probably losing all its audience built over the years.

That's the kind of management you can expect from them. If you think this is still the Vivendi who funded Destiny with Activision and helped businesses, you're in for a rude awakening. You can act like it's not a bigdeal right now, that Ubisoft is a shitty company anyway or that Guillemot just want to save his own interest, but the fact is, Vivendi has an horrible track record lately and this hostile takeover fits with their new pattern. The future isn't too bright for Ubi.

GavinUK86

I don't know how you could possibly describe WD2 as generic. It's full of personality

How about Rainbow Six Siege? Far Cry Primal? AC Syndicate? South Park? For Honor? All games that released to great reception or are previewing very well.

WD2's gameplay loop is very generic. Go here, hack/steal this, leave area. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a lot of it, it's just not doing anything new.

ACS wasn't a great AC game. They dropped the ball on that series years ago. It took them too many years to stop milking it so I don't think they deserve any particular credit now that they've paused the series.

Far Cry Primal didn't really do anything for me. It just felt like 3/4 without guns. Congrats on a unique setting though. That's a +1.

South Park was a very simple turn based RPG. With Matt and Trey writing it, I'm not sure how that even could've failed. Did it sell well though? I have no idea of numbers.

I've played For Honor for many, many hours already and while it's good, I don't think it has legs. People will drop it quick unless they keep adding maps, modes and fighters to keep it fresh. We will have to wait and see.

I've not played RSS so I don't really have anything to say about it. Seems like people like it?

If this takeover happens soon then Beyond Good and Evil 2 is pretty much fucked, right?

They may not cancel it but they'll most likely restrict the freedom Ancel has currently. He might bail out and focus on WILD as well.

I wonder if Ubisoft will nuke themselves before the takeover is complete and give Vivendi the ashes.

They can't do that even if they wanted to, they're beholden to their shareholders.

Just out of curiosity how do you imagine this going down?

They may not cancel it but they'll most likely restrict the freedom Ancel has currently. He might bail out and focus on WILD as well.

They can't do that even if they wanted to, they're beholden to their shareholders.

They're not gonna leave their employees unemployed just to make Vivendi look bad.

I'm not saying they are crazy enough to do it, but it would be a heck of a way to go out.

S1kkZ

Just out of curiosity how do you imagine this going down?

if the hostile takeover is 100% inevitable, they could sell off their ip's (or just give them away). they could also start a new independent company and transfer most ip's (and employees) to that, but i am not sure if that is legal.

basically: if ubisoft wants to, they can leave an empty shell behind for vivendi (and fuck over all of their employees).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
if the hostile takeover is 100% inevitable, they could sell off their ip's (or just give them away). they could also start a new independent company and transfer most ip's (and employees) to that, but i am not sure if that is legal.

They would have to successfully make the argument in court that this is in the interest of their shareholders, which would be basically impossible.

Honestly their better option is to just sell out to a different publisher the same way that Tecmo sold out to Koei in an effort to avoid Square Enix, as they felt they would be marginalized there.

Of course, that would necessitate them actually finding someone who wants to buy them that isn't Vivendi.

S1kkZ

They would have to successfully make the argument in court that this is in the interest of their shareholders, which would be basically impossible.

Honestly their better option is to just sell out to a different publisher the same way that Tecmo sold out to Koei in an effort to avoid Square Enix, as they felt they would be marginalized there.

they could argue that vivendi would/could kill off the company in the long run which benefits no shareholder. its almost impossible, almost.

but i agree with you: they should sell out to another publisher or merge.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I really hope BG&E2 gets out there (or at least in a completed enough state where they can't can it) before this takeover happens.

Since it's targeting 2018 apparently I doubt that of course. This shit will definitely go down at some point next year :/
Vivendi ha.s to honor previous contractual agreements

vaporeon

Yikes, this is more than what EA tried to do to Ubisoft years ago.
Vivendi used to own the majority of Activision Blizzard, no? I don't think this hostile takeover as is doomed as you think it might be.
Ubisoft is extremely pissed off at this almost solely on the fact that majority of the Board of Directors consist of the Guillemot family, and a hostile takeover would disrupt their family empire.

Kill3r7

they could argue that vivendi would/could kill off the company in the long run which benefits no shareholder. its almost impossible, almost.

but i agree with you: they should sell out to another publisher or merge.

They can argue all they want, they would never get board approval. They might not even control enough seats to do approve a sale to a competitor as Nirolak suggested.

Vivendi ha.s to honor previous contractual agreements

Vivendi can cancel anything and everything after they own Ubisoft.

Vivendi used to own the majority of Activision Blizzard, no? I don't think this hostile takeover as is doomed as you think it might be.
Ubisoft is extremely pissed off at this almost solely on the fact that majority of the Board of Directors consist of the Guillemot family, and a hostile takeover would disrupt their family empire.

Charamiwa made an excellent post earlier showing what we can expect from a Vivendi owned Ubisoft.

AR15mex

Im mean its UBISOFT... I wanted to say they suck, but there are a couple of games here and there that actually care about, so I dunno lets hope vivendi is a better publisher and developer....

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Vivendi is different, has new management.

renzolama

basically: if ubisoft wants to, they can leave an empty shell behind for vivendi (and fuck over all of their employees).

No, they can't. There are laws that govern the operations of publicly traded companies to protect shareholders and employees, especially in Europe.

Granjinha

Yea that washes away the years of garbage they've been putting out. Oh yea it's great that Division is good now, when did it come out? March? Nothing but excuses because everyone liked 1 single game from them over a period of many years, good riddance.

yeah keep going with the hyperbole, years of garbage lol

south park, valiant hearts, rayman, zombiU, splinter cell blacklist, rainbow six siege, watch dogs 2, the division, grow home, might and magic X

so

much

garbage

besides the fact that they are improving a lot, i mean everything you said is straight up BS

Pacbois

It's impossible to tell but there are precedents in the french cultural landscape that can tell us what a Vivendi take over might look like. I'll repost what I said some time ago :

yuuup this is why this is clearly not good news, I feel like Ubi did mess up games by being too business focused but it feels like they realised that and are now more willing to take time and more resources to make better games and doing fan favourite projects (like BG&E 2) and new IPs.

Under Vivendi, Ubi will go back to be focused around a couple of money making annual IPs like AC, Rabbids and Just Dance and put them out every year regardless of quality.

Also I've heard that a lot of creative staff at Ubi might jump ship if they're acquired by Vivendi fearing the new management.

I know Ubi did some shitty stuff these past few years but they're getting back on a right track as shown but surprise successes like WD2 and getting acquired by Vivendi will probably cancel that.

Taker34

Banned
I wonder why they didn't consider merging with another publisher - still better than what will be left of the company in a few years. Why would another media/gaming company not be interested?

wildfire

Banned
Sigh...this is so misguided it's not even funny. They do allot more than most other big time pubs while employing a massive amount of people.

Small, mid and AAA titles while constantly introducing new IP's. Even listening to fans and sales and throwing AC back in the cooker for awhile.

I really can't see what's wrong with their direction even if you don't like their games.

Thankfully I don't have to be the first person in one of these Ubi threads to say this.

Ubisoft does a few anti consumer things I can't support but as an employer I really like them compared to most of the big publishers/studios.

*tips hat*

Peroroncino

Vivendi got burned with activision, maybe they learned their lesson, maybe not, either way I don't care much for current ubisoft [downgrades, microtransactions] and their games, I just hope the devs don't get screwed over in the process, usually in those situations the upper management gets the axe right?

Don't understand people saying Ubisoft is already heading in a bad direction & milking everything :/
Sure, you could maybe make that argument for Assassin's Creed (I loved Syndicate personally) & Far Cry but there's so many other games they're producing, some of which would never have been made under the other big publishers.

Of the top of my head I can think of: Rayman Origins / Legends, Child of Light, South Park games, Might & Magic, Grow Home / Up, Watch Dogs, the Tom Clancy's, the Crew, Steep, For Honor, Beyond good & Evil 2
& there's probably more. Even if you personally don't enjoy these games, that doesn't mean they're bad and that variety shouldn't exist.

I dunno how much the inevitable(?) takeover will effect this, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a shift to focus only on big AAA 'sure-hits'.
Which would kinda suck.

Vivendi got burned with activision, maybe they learned their lesson, maybe not, either way I don't care much for current ubisoft [downgrades, microtransactions] and their games, I just hope the devs don't get screwed over in the process, usually in those situations the upper management gets the axe right?

More like Vivendi got dumped and is dying to be in another controlling relationship. This is them trying to hook up with Ubisoft and put an expensive ring on it so they can show up to Activision and say "Do you miss me?" because they have a hard time moving on.

Is there anything they can do to fight it at this point?

It depends. In the US , there are poison pill strategies companies can put in place to dissuade hostile takeovers. I'm not sure how the laws in France/EU handle them.

Or the founders can buy back a majority of the stock to always have voting control.

Top Bottom