• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning: Legit-looking NES Classic Mini console knock-offs appearing

oo7

I'm going to subvert your question and note that the software on NES Classic Mini is like 95% available on Wii Virtual Console, and many of those on Wii U and 3DS. I think only maybe Bubble Bobble isn't available?

I get that, but I'm talking about the games that aren't available for purchase legitimate ways.

I get that, but I'm talking about the games that aren't available for purchase legitimate ways.

I did the research and the only one on the NES Classic that isn't available on Wii VC is Dr. Mario, which is on Wii U VC. So I'm not really sure how it applies to this discussion thread.

I think it's a shame that this includes the games the geniune units did. I would rather it just came blank and loadable via USB.

hirokazu

Sorry, but scalpers aren't anymore ethical at all in this one. They're profiting off of another company's product more than the company that produced the goods itself.

P. S. Not to mention the knockoffs in this case are apparently damn near the actual thing in quality.
Gosh, here we go again about comparing one to the other. 🙄 One does not make the other good!... where does that logic come from? I've already explained why these knockoffs are bad for consumers.

And from those product shots, the quality of the printing is just as bad as any regular knockoff job.

hirokazu

Why is it still considered piracy if there is no official way to obtain the software? Legit question.
Why is it still piracy if you download a movie that's left the cinemas but not yet released on home media or digital streaming?

Also, reading from the impressions linked, it seems like the quality of both the software and the hardware are pretty much what you'd expect from a knockoff too. Except at non-knockoff prices.

Gosh, here we go again about comparing one to the other. 🙄 One does not make the other good!... where does that logic come from? I've already explained why these knockoffs are bad for consumers.

And from those product shots, the quality of the printing is just as bad as any regular knockoff job.

I never said that one does not make the other good. I was merely stating that scalpers shouldn't even factor into this to begin with. Or did you miss the "aren't anymore ethical" part? I never said worse. I'm just saying that of all those hurt, the scalpers aren't worth worrying about. They reap what they sow. That's all.

False.

It's going to cost you at least 60 dollars just for the Raspberry Pi, power supply, HDMI cable and case. You still need the SD card, and controllers.

That's if you don't want anything that is appealing to buyers, like an attractive retro case, lighting, or even a power button.

There's a reason why those NES classics sold like crazy. The price point was perfect for what you got. Had the supply not been so crappy, I would have gotten one as well, and I say that as a raspberry pi user who set up retropi in a Sega Genesis USB hub case.

While I don't disagree with your latter sentiment, conflating in the price of a power supply and HDMI cable is kinda silly. I'd hazard a guess most folks have a spare micro-USB chargers / cables laying around, ditto for a spare HDMI cable. I have a bag full of MicroUSB chargers, and it doesn't take too much digging to find one pushing 1A-2A.

Realistically you're looking at like $40 for a Pi and a case, the rest most folks probably have laying around. It's not like NES roms take much space, you could probably use a 1 GB SD card from the 2000s if doing NES emulation is your only goal.

It's like when people were including the price of the Xbox 360 official wireless adapter in the price of the console back in the day.

The real barrier is software, it takes a bit to configure a controller, figure out how to do stuff, etc. It took me half an hour to figure out how to scrape F-zero (didn't realize a current retropie image would need a bunch of package updates, nor is the sselph scraper seen in the UI).

I agree though that people wanted them for the nostalgia factor - that's why I got mine! I've had a full running Hyperspin setup, and I'm working on a Sega Genesis USB Retropie myself right now, but the NES classic is awesome cool.

Top Bottom