• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs sold (to consumers) over 4 millions units during its first week

Facism

good sales. Had to miss out as i don't have a next gen console and my pc wouldn't be able to run it acceptably.

Some pretty petty bullshit flying in here.

Sorry to break it to you already salty folks, but the game is actually very good. Great mix between GTA, AC and Splinter Cell. Shooting and cover is tight and much more satisfying than any GTA game. Hacking, stealth and combat can all be mixed and gives you heaps of flexibility in how you approach gameplay. Ridiculous number of open world activities - even the Digital Trip mini games have their own skill trees. And this is all without even mentioning the online hacking/invasions, which are the star of the show and are completely unique and super intense.

fasTRapid

Banned
Bestselling new IP ever. Wow.

I wonder what is the version breakdown.
We only have UK numbers

Code:
1. PS4          49%
2. Xbox One     27%
3. Xbox 360     13%
4. PS3           9%
5. PC (retail)   2%
Interesting take-aways:

76% on next-gen
PS4 = Xbox One + 360 + PS3

The game probably gave the PS4 a nice boost.
94% boost in the UK.
1.6 on PS4
Don't just drop gu-ass-ed numbers. It's probably around 2M considering the UK split, where the Xbox One isn't too far behind, already being 49%, and US and rest of europe compensating for each other.
Still fuming about this.
You can't be real.

Good to hear them have such great success. Whether you like the game or not, we should be happy for the people that worked their asses off to bring their game to life and be rewarded for it Now bring on Watch Dogs 2 exclusively for Next Gen!

Doesn't include digital sales, I believe.

Who the fuck buys boxed copies of PC games anymore?

Me? It's a lot cheaper to buy new PC games as boxed games at least here in Finland. Boxed Watch_Dogs from internet retailer = 45€, Digital copy from Steam = 59€.

Qassim

Walk into most game stores or game sections in stores in the UK and you'll be lucky to find boxed versions of PC games outside of stuff like Football manager, The Sims, etc. Digital is the vast majority of the PC market.

Linconan

Congratulations Ubisoft.
Watchdogs is unreal.
Cannot wait till the sequel.

Once you get over the downgrade of graphics (which are still good), and start focusing on the game. It's really good, and the most believable and living city compared to any other sandbox game to date imo.

I look forward to the next chapter.

RulkezX

Thats true, maybe thats why.

It's absolutely why. These are UK splits and chart track doesn't track digital.

Some people really wanted this game to fail lol. Another example of why we shouldn't use popular opinions on here as any sort of gaming barometer.

ZackGamer

Banned
It's absolutely why. These are UK splits and chart track doesn't track digital.

Some people really wanted this game to fail lol. Another example of why we shouldn't use popular opinions on here as any sort of gaming barometer.

I see but I did not want to see this fail(I know what you mean, seen some ppl too) this game is awesome. I have been playing it everyday since it came out.

Krisprolls

Banned
Sorry to break it to you already salty folks, but the game is actually very good. Great mix between GTA, AC and Splinter Cell. Shooting and cover is tight and much more satisfying than any GTA game. Hacking, stealth and combat can all be mixed and gives you heaps of flexibility in how you approach gameplay. Ridiculous number of open world activities - even the Digital Trip mini games have their own skill trees. And this is all without even mentioning the online hacking/invasions, which are the star of the show and are completely unique and super intense.

Agreed. That's actually a lot better than what I expected. Even better than GTA 5 in some ways (unpolished and obviously worse in characters and story though). Online hacking / tailing rocks.

These marketing arrangements Sony has with third-party publishers is working out. What's next?

1. Destiny
2. Diablo III
3. Battlefield Hardline

Any other deals?

Assanova

I definitely have to agree. It is much better than I thought it was going to be. I think the shooting and driving gameplay mechanics are much better than gta. No running and gunning or mindless driving.

I don't think most people were complaining about the gameplay differences from the reveal to now so you defending the game by talking about how good the gameplay is and not addressing the real issue salty people had is kinda moot.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Still fuming about this.

iAgI2r06bNLoa.gif

Ashtar

Ubisoft has been on a tear recently: Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Child of Light, AC Black Flag, and now Watch Dogs have all been well-reviewed games.

Have to agree UBISOFT is killing it. And Valiant Hearts is dropping this month as well.
You can't name me a BIG 3rd party publisher dropping more heat than Ubi

Stimpack

I feel this is undeserved. The gameplay was rather generic and repetitive, and the story definitely wasn't mind-blowing. I don't entirely understand how Ubisoft continues to be a success, because most of their games aren't that great. Don't get me wrong, it's good. A lot of their games are good, but good shouldn't make for these kinds of sales.

I don't think most people were complaining about the gameplay differences from the reveal to now so you defending the game by talking about how good the gameplay is and not addressing the real issue salty people had is kinda moot.

If people are still angry at the downgrade and even angrier that the game sold well despite it then they're even more immature than I thought. We should be happy that a new IP can sell 4 million in a week. But no, the graphics don't look as good as a pre-devkit gameplay concept video, so I hope that it fails.

slapnuts

Totally agree man and sales do prove it to be a fun game. I agree with everything you said. This game while not the prettiest game ever but it has its visual moments at times...but most imporptantly this game keeps having me coming back for more. This is something i have not felt in a while with a lot of AAA games.

Also the life i feel in this game is the real deal...while not perfect, far from it actually...it still is probably up there with the best of them in terms of a city feeling alive. Love some of that backyard action chasing after badies..crusing around tinkering with all the game has to offer which is a lot in various ways.

OP i like how you put it as a mixture of GTA, AC and Splinter Cell...so much for all the haters hating, you all are missing out and rightfully so.

It also does not hurt that im a fellow from the Chicago area as well.

megalowho

Huge for a new franchise, the big E3 reveal paid off. Ubisoft knows how to market their games, from the outset Watch Dogs held the mantle of "first AAA next gen experience" and perception carries a lot of weight.

I look forward to seeing where they go from here. Despite concerns surrounding storytelling, character and a reliance on formulaic design there is promise for the series if it builds upon the civilian surveillance mechanics, on the fly interactions with the open world environment and presenting an intriguing playground for multiplayer activities.

slapnuts

As much as people have poopoo'd that game it sure is getting the sales it needs to prove itself and pretty much ask for a WD2.

Everyone that poopoo'd on this game are missing out to look at this game from its positives not negatives. Too many people these days..or i should say gamers these days disect games to find its faults and negatives rather than taking it for face value and enjoying what it does thats good, thats fun and exciting. It's a bad habit to nitpick a good game and let your decision be based upon what other negative people are pointing out. I say give all games a try and you might be surprised how wrong people are. Those that have done nothing but bash ...its their lost, better them than me.

slapnuts

I guess Downgrade-Gate never spread beyond enthusiast game sites.

More like people who cant afford games, so they shit on any of them they can to validate their non-purchase.

Gurrry - yeah i find this to be true a lot of times along with consoles..people bash them if they cant have them..but their story changes once they are finally able to get them.

Melchiah

of AAA games on the current gen consoles yeah, definitely.

Apart from watch dogs, what else has come out recently? Wolfernstein and bound by flame. One of them appears to be a medicore hack n slash and the other is an fps with no multiplayer.

Infamous: Second Son
MGS5: Ground Zeroes
Titanfall
PvZ: Garden Warfare
MLB 14: The Show

And FPS with a good and meaty SP campaign is always welcome, as rare as it is.

GKFinns

I am really, really enjoying this game. I am happy to see it selling so well, and am pleased to see the reported numbers for the PS4 version because it means Sony's marketing partnership with Ubisoft paid off for both parties.

I respect the opinions of people who have played the game and didn't quite enjoy it, but I find it hard to find value in people who bash a game because it is the new "in" thing at the moment. I am really digging this and I am on track for this to be my first Ubisoft game I get a Platinum Trophy in (67.1% done at the moment)

Top Bottom