• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs sold (to consumers) over 4 millions units during its first week

xaosslug

So.....who will star in the movie?!

Cruise missle's production company is (probably) already in talks to produce and star...

Iuk8dY3.gif

Source? 1.6 seems way low, when considering it amounted to 49% of UK sales, which is where Xbone and PS4 are most closely matched. I'd expect something in the leagues of 55-65% world wide tbh, around 2.4M.

Is this confirmed? EA must be crying with the Titanfall deal. EA had a potentially huge franchise on their hands and could have had a huge hit. Instead it has squandered it away with exclusivity.

So is this an actual insider number or just a guess?

Total guess guys lol

Love how people with 0 insider credibility come in and drop a random number, hope a mod verifies your status because this vague shit has been toxic.

giphy.gif

Teletraan1

Banned
10+ million? That is quite a generous estimate there... And EA isn't a dumb company. They wouldn't have made this exclusive deal with Microsoft if it was going to harm their financials or their franchise.

Additionally, they also made lots of Titanfall sales on PC and 360. It wasn't just Xbox One.

And so what if it didn't sell as well as they wanted. They laid the groundwork for future titles and there is already anticipation.

I think you give EA too much credit. It isn't like they have made all the right moves. They have a lousy track record that speaks for itself.

I think the point that others are making is that yes perhaps MS financially covered the lost sales of Titanfall 1's on PS4 but the damage to the brand might be a bit higher over the course of the generation. By effectively shunning the enthusiast PS4 audience, EA may have turned that franchise into a very decent selling IP rather than that generational dominate game like COD or GTA that a crazy amount of people play/buy. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but sequels that appear on platforms that the original did not tended to sell much worse on said platform. Even late ports sold like dog shit. Nothing is for sure but I don't think MS potentially covered that kind of financial spread because the swing from decent selling game to generationally dominant game could be billions of dollars over a generation.

MikahR

Banned
I think you give EA too much credit. It isn't like they have made all the right moves. They have a lousy track record that speaks for itself.

I think the point that others are making is that yes perhaps MS financially covered the lost sales of Titanfall 1's on PS4 but the damage to the brand might be a bit higher over the course of the generation. By effectively shunning the enthusiast PS4 audience, EA may have turned that franchise into a very decent selling IP rather than that generational dominate game like COD or GTA that a crazy amount of people play/buy. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but sequels that appear on platforms that the original did not tended to sell much worse on said platform. Even late ports sold like dog shit. Nothing is for sure but I don't think MS potentially covered that kind of financial spread because the swing from decent selling game to generationally dominant game could be billions of dollars over a generation.

That may be, however with all of this happening so early in this new gen's lifetime, I don't think EA or Respawn will have a hard time selling Titanfall 2 to the masses, especially if they fix all of the problems, update the engine, and pile loads of content into it.

Amazing. Bought my copy for ps4 last week, but I'm yet to play it because MK8 and summer classes are taking all of my time. Hopefully I can play at least a bit this weekend.

EGM1966

That's pretty damn good - obviously. Wonder what the platform splits were? I know we got UK splits but would be interested to see the global picture, particularly current gen vs last gen combined split and the PS4/XB1 and PS3/360 split.

I'll second the view its good to see high sales for a decent game (with some rough edges) at this time of year; from a consumer perspective it drives me mad when publishers pile games on top of each other at certain times of the year and assume (wrongly I'm sure) that at other times of the year people stop playing completely.

It is funny people talking about how this game being the gateway for new IPs forgetting about Last of Us. Really a good IP just needs to be well made and have word of mouth. I wonder if WD will turn a profit? I bet they spent 8 million on the game. Bioshock Infinite sold 5 million, but did not make back budget.

Raist

Banned
That's pretty damn good - obviously. Wonder what the platform splits were? I know we got UK splits but would be interested to see the global picture, particularly current gen vs last gen combined split and the PS4/XB1 and PS3/360 split.

I'll second the view its good to see high sales for a decent game (with some rough edges) at this time of year; from a consumer perspective it drives me mad when publishers pile games on top of each other at certain times of the year and assume (wrongly I'm sure) that at other times of the year people stop playing completely.

I'd imagine PS4>XB1>360>PS3 in the US
PS4>>>>PS3>360>XB1 in the rest of europe.

kazebyaka

Banned
It is funny people talking about how this game being the gateway for new IPs forgetting about Last of Us. Really a good IP just needs to be well made and have word of mouth. I wonder if WD will turn a profit? I bet they spent 8 million on the game. Bioshock Infinite sold 5 million, but did not make back budget.
Ubi's estimations were 6 million sales in the lifetime of the game. You can be sure they'll make good money from this game.

EGM1966

I'd imagine PS4>XB1>360>PS3 in the US
PS4>>>>PS3>360>XB1 in the rest of europe.

That seems sensible order judging by the UK numbers and the best estimates of sales by major region I see on GAF.

I'd imagine going forward Ubi will drop last gen support (although you never know I guess) and focus on this gen/PC only for the inevitable sequel. I'm enjoying the game but find the protagonist and the setup around that element rather weak so I hope they go the GTA route of keeping the core mechanics/concept but introduce different characters.

Ubi's estimations were 6 million sales in the lifetime of the game. You can be sure they'll make good money from this game.

6 million? Looks like this could exceed expectations relatively easily for them unless sales nose dive abruptly.

yurinka

Well deserved, I'm playing it now and it's really fun.

Really happy to see a new IP is doing a great job in sales, and specially because the downgradeton bad press and the big delay didn't affect it.
Watch Dogs 2,3,4,5,6,7 confirmed.
Only counting the ones released this gen.

It's a great game.

Hopefully it means they can alternate between it and AC to keep the quality up... who am I kidding, this will become a yearly thing.

Kelsey

Banned

If they only spent 8 million on the game, they made back their investment within the first few minutes, I'd imagine.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The "downgrade"
Just goes to show that the average consumer really doesn't care about res/framerates.

Glad the game is doing so well. It has it's flaws but I love the open-ended approach to missions.

It's very possible that if the res and framerate was better it could have sold even more.

Denton

The downgrade is not really that significant.
Pretty much everything that was shown in 2012 E3 is in the game, gameplay-wise.
As for graphics, there was some additional smoke, some extra polygonal detail and more reflections. And explosion was bigger. But the final game still looks amazing on ultra.

Compared to Dark Souls 2, WD might as well not have been downgraded at all. Now THAT was a downgrade. Like a different game. Ubi look almost innocent compared to FROM.

yurinka

That may be, however with all of this happening so early in this new gen's lifetime, I don't think EA or Respawn will have a hard time selling Titanfall 2 to the masses, especially if they fix all of the problems, update the engine, and pile loads of content into it.
I'd say it only had 2 big issues: no PS version and no single player campaign. Easy to fix in the sequel (or in a single player DLC+ 'Titanfall Complete' retail SKU).

Notice how Watchdogs sold like 50% of their UK copies(1st week or 1st days?) in PS4, which islikely at least the same for the rest of Europe.

Did some searching, my 8 million was way off. According to a producer, it was $68 million pre-delay. Source: http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/16/wat...-68-million-before-marketing-producer-claims/

Hopefully the sales do not die off, because otherwise wow...

If they only spent 8 million on the game, they made back their investment within the first few minutes, I'd imagine.
Maybe. I was going to guess 20 million since Bioshock was 15, but it is probably closer to 70 with that article.

Phased

Glad it's doing so well. When it all comes down to it, it's a lot of fun and that's all that matters to most people in the end.

Trickster

Did some searching, my 8 million was way off. According to a producer, it was $68 million pre-delay. Source: http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/16/wat...-68-million-before-marketing-producer-claims/

Hopefully the sales do not die off, because otherwise wow...

Maybe. I was going to guess 20 million since Bioshock was 15, but it is probably closer to 70 with that article.

I think it was pretty clear that Watch Dogs was a game with a big budget. Considering something like Skyrim was around 80 million, I would have expected 80-100 million tbh. 8 million won't even get you a short CoD style campaign in this day and age I would expect, much less a big openworld game aimed at next gen consoles.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Oh boy I didn't see this coming at all. Well congrats. Anyone want to guess how they did the following week?

Thought the same thing.

I had zero doubt it would sell a lot:

1.) perfectly positioned at the beginning of the summer drought.
2.) advertising everywhere.
3.) new take on open world games, with respect to the stealth options.
4.) a lot of people with next gen machines who are looking for a AAA release to play.

Also graphics are important, but WD has perfectly adequate graphics. Not as good as the initial showing, but way past "good enough".

I was hoping, but I didn't know if it would be popular enough to start a new Ubi franchise. But with these numbers, I'm sure WD2 has already been greenlit.

Mooreberg

No surprise. The audience that makes or breaks a game like this pays zero attention to comparison gifs. They just remember that it looked cool, and now it is available for purchases. Ubi is no stranger to this.

Not sure about it influencing other games to take advantage of a spring release. It came out now because it was not ready last fall (give them credit for not pulling an EA). Red Dead and The Last of Us already set a good example for this.

This should be a nail in the coffin for third party exclusives. Nobody is shelling out $400 for a second system that runs the game worse than hardware they already own.

I've only put 5 hrs into the game(still in act 1) but I'm loving it so far. I'm glad that after years of sweat and tears, the developers/Ubisoft get to enjoy some success.

Now take a month off and get to working on Watch Dogs 2!

MikahR

Banned
This should be a nail in the coffin for third party exclusives. Nobody is shelling out $400 for a second system that runs the game worse than hardware they already own.

Uhhhhh, they would if they want Xbox's exclusives, or if all of their friends are on Xbox Live to begin with...

I will never understand how people can be down on something like this.

The last bombcast said it best when the guys pretty much called people out as assholes who want any platform or dev team to fail.

It's childish and pathetic. There is room for everyone, especially now with Indie games.

Sotha_Sil

Ubisoft has been on a tear recently: Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Child of Light, AC Black Flag, and now Watch Dogs have all been well-reviewed games.

Top Bottom