• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs sold (to consumers) over 4 millions units during its first week

Ubisoft has been on a tear recently: Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Child of Light, AC Black Flag, and now Watch Dogs have all been well-reviewed games.

They certainly have. They must be very proud.

One thing I don't understand is this.

GTA IV "oh way too serious, what happened to the fun of GTA"

Watchdogs "Excellent dark tone"

Kelsey

Banned
Still fuming about this.

About the fact that a game that failed to meet whatever graphical standards you have didn't flop and possibly negatively affect the employment status of many of the people that worked on it? I'm sure it must be infuriating for you.

That 3rd franchise has to be The Division
Farcry IMO deserves a huge break, the new one coming so fast after farcry 3 just looks so bad, if anything we needer a full blown Blood Dragon sequel before Farcry 3.

It will be two years between farcry 3 and 4 when 4 launches. More than enough time between releases. And farcry 3 was much better than blood dragon although it was a nice diversion.

As much as people have poopoo'd that game it sure is getting the sales it needs to prove itself and pretty much ask for a WD2.

UberTag

No surprises here. The marketing was the one thing about the game that wasn't fundamentally flawed.
And if you're a publisher that's ultimately the one big thing you have to nail in the AAA space. So kudos to Ubisoft on that.

I guess Downgrade-Gate never spread beyond enthusiast game sites.

It never should have, it was one of the most overblown "issues" of the last few years regarding this hobby. I convinced a co-worker (who happens to be a big fan of farcry 3) to pick it up for the ps4 this week after I told him about it. He had never heard of it before.

Muffdraul

Over the top satire and parody is core to GTA. Personally I thought it was alive and well in GTA IV, but relatively speaking it was definitely more toned down and somber than the previous games, no question about that. I was fine with, but not at all surprised that it rubbed some the wrong way.

But that doesn't mean ALL open world games that more or less follow GTA's game play structure have to be hilarious/can't be serious and dark.

Mooreberg

Assassin's Creed did not have review scores that lived up to the hype, but it sold better than most PS3/360 games in a very crowded fall 2007. This game selling well should not surprise anyone. It isn't like the other publishers are doing a particularly good job of getting games out to compete with it. It should keep selling well all summer.

If Destiny doesn't get delayed again, that will be the next game to rake in the money.

Odd, the "Internet" told me Watch Dogs was shit because PC reasons.....

Guess not.

Hopefully, Watch Dogs 2 will be like Ass Creed 2 was to Ass Creed 1

RalchAC

Game could easily break 6 million at the end of summer.

With 4 million first week, I think it could break the 6 million mark in two months. Even if next-gen sales fall off a cliff (since PS4/X1 owners were starving for more AAA games it sales may be really frontloaded in those consoles) there are last gen and PC versions too.

Different franchises = different expectations.

GTA IV was San Andreas succesor. And San Andreas was kind of lighthearted and funny. Watch_Dogs is a new IP.

I got a hard time believing it will sell as well when there are tons of alternatives and it will likely be next-gen/pc only. I have played it btw.
With a introduction like this W_D is already one of their huge franchises like AC. It shouldn't have any problems holding mindshare in Q4.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Thanks to the success of Watch_Dogs, and the fact that the percentages of sale were HEAVILY skewed in favour of the current-gen consoles, Ubisoft should just focus on current-gen versions for the impending sequels.

Usobuko

Banned
I didn't expect it to sell that well. It's like 75% on next gen console for UK, this figure might move serious units. Anyway, Sony picked a winner for new ip marketing collaboration. Destiny will likely be next.

Gotta believe that some of the success is coming from the fact that there's really nothing else to play at the moment.

Yea, it obviously has nothing to with the fact the game looks/runs great, has a ton of content, plays great for the most part, and has truly innovative/fun multiplayer.
Psst Mario Kart and Wolfenstein just came out as well. Theres plenty else to play.

funkypie

Banned
"Yep all hype and drought, 0% in regards to the quality of the game. I haven't played it btw."

Hahaha what garbage. You dismiss my statement by saying I haven't played it. I have the game for ps4 and have played the PC version too.

Quashing one (apparent) generalised with another, well done.

Lima

Well deserved. The game has a much more serious tone while doing the story and then straight up turns into Saints Row kinds of fun with the digital trips. Best of both worlds.

I think we won't see Watch Dogs 2 until 2016. They will do the same thing they did with AC2. Multiple cities and shit (as hinted at the end of the game).

The Lamp

More like people who cant afford games, so they shit on any of them they can to validate their non-purchase.

Bad assumption. I bought Dark Souls 2 and the bait and switch they pulled with the games graphics is still one of the lowest and most misleading things I've seen in years. The game was still fun, but I could shit on its graphics night and day.

"Not that impressive"? What's the last game that sold 4M in a week? How often does that happen, particularly for a new IP.

Also, all these salty comments about marketing as if Ubisoft just managed to bamboozle 4M consumers. Good grief.

Styles

Jeezus, how does it rank among other new IPs in terms of opening week sales?

Kudos to Ubisoft for pulling it off.

Yasae

Banned
Hahaha what garbage. You dismiss my statement by saying I haven't played it. I have the game for ps4 and have played the PC version too.

Quashing one (apparent) generalised with another, well done.
Fair enough.

But let's be honest, my statement is more often right than wrong.

"Not that impressive"? What's the last game that sold 4M in a week? How often does that happen, particularly for a new IP.

Also, all these salty comments about marketing as if Ubisoft just managed to bamboozle 4M consumers. Good grief.

The marketing reps made me buy it man. They made me.

It's pretty good.

funkypie

Banned
Metacritic says that there are 18 other "good" games released in the past 3 months. Sure there's a draught?

of AAA games on the current gen consoles yeah, definitely.

Apart from watch dogs, what else has come out recently? Wolfernstein and bound by flame. One of them appears to be a medicore hack n slash and the other is an fps with no multiplayer.

EGM1966

Its basic brand image principles. GTA had a defined brand image and GTA IV was deemed by many not to fit it - too serious tone for central character & general narrative combined with loss of a lot of the silly side missions. Note how popular Brucie was as he felt more like classic OTT GTA character.

Watch Dogs is new IP and the tone/marketing is defining its brand image so people are taking it at face value.

Xpliskin

That E3 reveal.
I'm now calling this a technique: "A Ubisoft".

"To pull a Ubisoft: to reveal a game with a make-believe build that gives
the impression that your studio has shattered the limits of the state-of-the-art effortlessly.
Keep marketing the game as such with developer commentary enforcing that impressioin"

quetz67

Banned
That E3 reveal.

the impression that your studio has shattered the limits of the state-of-the-art effortlessly.
Keep marketing the game as such with developer commentary enforcing that impressioin"

Or maybe people just find the game's underlying idea intriguing?

MrBali

Neo Member
It's a good game but yeah the main reason it sold this much is the drought. I still play Dark Souls 2 more.

down 2 orth

That E3 reveal.

This company, at one time ready and eager to please, has now gone ubisoft :/

Duallusion

I'm glad to see all that constant bitching amounted to jack shit in the grand scheme of things.

Well done, Ubisoft. Have slightly less bullshit "target renders" from now on and we're all good.

Top Bottom