• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Websites that were super popular and relevant, then faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travo

He's shit with money and all his good writers bailed the fuck out.

edit: not ALL. There's still a couple good ones there. But once the focus stopped being news/leaks/spoilers, all you had were shitpoor talkbacks and poorly written reviews, alongside whatever drooling mess of syllables and ellipses Harry coughed up.

Yes, very much this. What a joke that site has become now.

ofFl2RU.png

Homestar Runner

OverClocked ReMix

I was gonna suggest this, actually, but I didn't know if it was still a popular site round these parts.

There's not much you can't find there that doesn't come up when you type (Game Name + Remix) into YouTube.

(plus they're like, the #1 reason people don't know what the fuck a remix is anymore, or that it's not the same thing as a cover song)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Collegehumor.com
That's a good one. When I started school in 09 everyone posted stuff from there to fb. Today it is the first time I've seen that site mentioned in years. Also, to some extent I would say 4chan and not just because moot left.

I remember seeing ads for Neopets a couple years ago. I guess they're still around but I haven't been on that site since the 90s.

Do you use the bookmark folder technique?

Yeah. I could do fancy scripting and multiple accounts and all that shit but MS always catches on and bans everyone. I've been doing this (meaning, as it's intended) for years and have never got banned. I only get $5 a month in Amazon gift cards, but slow and steady wins the race. Great for picking up games on sale for free.

Candystand, is that still a thing?

I remember lots of kids visiting that during school as it had pretty decent flash games. The mini golf in particular.

Also blackplanet was really popular.

It feels like the internet is a lot narrower than before.

Or that certain Megasites occupy so much interest that the rest are fighting for crumbs.

Anyway bolt.com was a teenage hangout spot back in the late 90's and early 2000's
More American focused, but I liked it.

Also MSN messenger.

MSN should have been Microsoft's social network and Skype rolled into one.
Every teenage had MSN back in the day, but they didn't realise what they had.

There used to be a ton of Dragonball Z fan sites. Not sure what that scene is like now, but I remember planetnamek.com being one of the largest at the time.

A sponsored post on my Twitter feed said that Habbo Hotel was moving to iOS devices. Really thought it went ages ago.

Yeah, there's countless other ways to "asl?" at this day and age, Habbo Hotel is pretty much obsolete.

And I mean, how long did it take to get an iOS app, seriously?

Slayven

It feels like the internet is a lot narrower than before.

Or that certain Megasites occupy so much interest that the rest are fighting for crumbs.

Anyway bolt.com was a teenage hangout spot back in the late 90's and early 2000's
More American focused, but I liked it.

Also MSN messenger.

MSN should have been Microsoft's social network and Skype rolled into one.
Every teenage had MSN back in the day, but they didn't realise what they had.

There used to be a ton of Dragonball Z fan sites. Not sure what that scene is like now, but I remember planetnamek.com being one of the largest at the time.

I completely forgot about bolt.com and planetnamek. Planetnamek was the DBZ site for years. But than again the only competition was shitty Geocities ones.

Fark isn't really dead, it's just lost a lot of its traffic due to Reddit. It's a wildly different place in terms of tone and content now though. I remember them making the general news when Drew came down hard against any rape jokes on the site, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom