• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Websites that were super popular and relevant, then faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

Most of mine have been said, but YouRuleSchool and ZoogDisney were two places I went a lot as as a kid. I loved the games and sense of discovery as you moved around the sites.

Loxley

Good grief I'd completely forgotten about ytmnd, Newgrounds and Homestar Runner o_O Those three were staples of my early/mid-2000's web browsing.

terrisus

It feels like the internet is a lot narrower than before.

Or that certain Megasites occupy so much interest that the rest are fighting for crumbs.

It is.

There may be "more" online now, but the internet (and various walled-garden services) were just more interesting and exciting back in the mid-90s

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

terrisus

AltaVista
That was the search engine for years.

For a while, Yahoo was even doing "search results by AltaVista," with Yahoo just being a portal.
What cruel irony how things ended up.

terrisus

n64.com

Wonder what ever happened to those guys after Nintendo forced them out...

(I doubt IGN ever would've gotten anywhere near as big as it has without having had that domain)

terrisus

forums.nintendo.com
Nintendo NSider forums

nsider.jpg

2003-2007
RIP

I spent so many hours reading Fark.com and can before I wrote this post the last time I visited the site was 4 or 5 years ago. So many TotalFark ads everywhere it made me leave.

FourMyle

It feels like the internet is a lot narrower than before.

Or that certain Megasites occupy so much interest that the rest are fighting for crumbs.

Good to see it isn't just me who feels this way.

I used to visit way more sites a decade ago. Nowadays I browse the same handful of sites and it can get pretty damn dull. I need to do something about that.

Mrmartel

Banned
Are there any relevant gaming sites anymore? I haven't visited anything other than Neogaf since 1up died. Before that IGN and Gamespot were my fixes.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Good to see it isn't just me who feels this way.

I used to visit way more sites a decade ago. Nowadays I browse the same handful of sites and it can get pretty damn dull. I need to do something about that.

I put it down to lack of needing to search.

Back in the 90s/early 2000s you needed to search to find most things, and along the way you'd discover a lot of sites you like and would go back to.

In recent years (and/or with a lot of experience of using the internet) you don't need to search for anything. There's nothing new. A handful of sites cover 90% of everything you need. And when it comes to video gaming in particular, most websites are that homogenized in content and opinion that if you've seen one you've seen most of them.

That and as you get older you tend to stick to what you know.

lednerg

IGNboards

Horrible moderation, increasingly stupid posters, and no-cussing eventually led to several mass exoduses. I left along with all of the Current Events Board regulars some years ago. Some of those people formed their own board, some came here.

owlbeak

I'm sure it was mentioned previously, but all of the Planet<insert game>.com, like PlanetQuake.com, PlanetHexen.com, etc.

They were the gaming news sites of the day, but I think BluesNews, IGN, and the advent of gaming blogs really killed them.

terrisus

I know it's been mentioned already, but Slashdot used to be much more significant than it seems now.
That may just be me though.

Stellares

Does anybody remember cartoon orbit? It had a feature called czones. fridays on cartoon network they would give out codes you use on the site, with the codes you could get ctoons to decorate your czone.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Orbit

I kinda screwed up part of it. I was 12 and I figured out how to spoof the ctoon you put up in auction by modifying the post request. Being an idiot, I told someone else how, and they proceeded to abuse that and the exploit spread. It was already dying at that point though.

Coreda

I know it's been mentioned already, but Slashdot used to be much more significant than it seems now.
That may just be me though.

It did seem more relevant years ago, never visit anymore. Opera used to have an easter egg where it could be accessed by entering "/." in the addressbar. Still can be seen in the last version of Opera 12.

Karsha

Gamespot used to have a great social site with blogs, unions and other cool stuff. Somehow they decided to close them :/ . Also Gaia, while it's still popular it was crazy in mid 2000's

I remember using websites in elementary school like yahooligans and AltaVista. Don't think either of them exist anymore.

I also used to go on Nick.com all the time! Played a lot of the games that were on there. Don't know if it's still popular with kids.

Ecotic

I've noticed Cracked seems to be fading as they've covered most of the easy stuff on the 3 main types of articles they write:

1. OMG you didn't know this!
2. Wow your body actually works like this!
3. This is how the real world works, so suck it up and quit being a mid-20's loser before it's too late.

I used to surf the web way differently. I don't even really remember how I've come across so many of these sites, but now I just go to a few regularly.

Fink

How about formspring.me? The website where you literally just ask people questions. I still get e-mails telling me about my new spambot followers.

I also remember neopets.com being a huge deal in the early 2000s, but I was also very young back then so I'm not sure if my perception is warped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom