• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do YOU think about the "Nintendo killed Gunpei Yokoi" conspiracy theory?

Gravijah

iidesuyo said:
I thought it was weird coincidence that a Nintendo associate was in the car with him. We'll never know.

Yes, why would a person connected to Nintendo for decades of his life have someone from Nintendo in a car with him.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Willy105 said:
I think it's very convenient, but pretty out there.

Maybe it's time for a game based on it starring Kevin Costner.

It's like the gaming equivalent of "Lyndon Johnson killed JFK".

I probably should have made a thread about that instead. Would have probably gotten less flak, at least. :lol

(I don't believe that one either, by the way.)

iidesuyo

Gravijah said:
Yes, why would a person connected to Nintendo for decades of his life have someone from Nintendo in a car with him.

After starting to work for Bandai and having been treated like an outcast at Nintendo?

WillyFive

Gravijah said:
OK then let's play this game. Why would the Nintendo person be there at all?

Realistic: Maybe they were best buds from the old days.

OMGBBQ: Maybe he came to ask Yokoi if he could come back to Nintendo, then the car broke down, and then the crash happened.

Cheerilee

iidesuyo said:
After starting to work for Bandai and having been treated like an outcast at Nintendo?
Thinking about Bandai, Yokoi's financial backers after he left Nintendo... Bandai and Nintendo shared the same bankers. It was the bank that suggested that Nintendo buy Bandai, prompting Bandai to rush into the Namco merger.

[/conspiracy mode]

Edit:
Willy105 said:
Realistic: Maybe they were best buds from the old days.

OMGBBQ: Maybe he came to ask Yokoi if he could come back to Nintendo, then the car broke down, and then the crash happened.
Another possibility: Because he was already or soon-to-be working for Nintendo as an independent advisor.

More Conspiracy: Because when he was set up by the first fender bender, the Nintendo guy was placed there to make sure Yokoi got out of the car and didn't just drive away.

Edit2: My "another possibility" is apparently the same as your OMGBBQ. I need sleep.

Gunpei Yokoi was killed the same year the Dreamcast was being developed, coincidence? I think not.
Also, if you rearrange Gunpei Yokoi, you get "Sega does what Nintendon't" in hex.

Mael

Prime crotch said:
Gunpei Yokoi was killed the same year the Dreamcast was being developed, coincidence? I think not.
Also, if you rearrange Gunpei Yokoi, you get "Sega does what Nintendon't" in hex.

And where does 9/11 fits in all this?

Mael

Combichristoffersen said:
So Konami is run by the NWO Bilderger Illuminati jew reptilians? I knew it!

That explains so much and yet so little....
Totally explains the whole Castlevania for the last 10years though

farnham

Banned
why would a nintendo exec risk a life long sentence or even a death sentence (which is being practiced in japan) over an ex nintendo exec that got fired because of a failed product.
sure he made wonderswan and everything but he was no real threat to nintendo anyways

Gravijah

farnham said:
why would a nintendo exec risk a life long sentence or even a death sentence (which is being practiced in japan) over an ex nintendo exec that got fired because of a failed product.
sure he made wonderswan and everything but he was no real threat to nintendo anyways

Because I gave birth to Jesus. That's why.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Maybe it was because Nintendo wanted to kill of the Gameboy and bring the DS to the forefront............. Holy Shit Miyamoto Did it!!!!!
(i am being overly sarcastic ok to anybody who takes it seriously)

Haunted

See, that's what happens if you repeat a [morbid] joke about Yamauchi's ruthlessness too often. Idiot people eventually think it's not a joke, start believing and it's kinda embarrassing.

Segata goes the sensible route here and tries to make it clear that it really was just a joke. But then again, whoever's thick enough to believe in this bs in the first place probably won't grasp that, either. :lol

shuri

Banned
Didnt Iwata say in the last episode of Iwata Laughs that Gunpei wasnt even working at nintendo anymore for a couple of months when it happened? He had created his own company by then

shuri said:
Didnt Iwata say in the last episode of Iwata Laughs that Gunpei wasnt even working at nintendo for a couple of months when it happened? He had created his own company by then
Which is why he had to die, shuri.

You should see what happens to Nintendo employees who ask for vacation leave!

robor

Gunpei killed by yakuza? A conspiratorial plan made by Yamauchi himself?

...Hey look it's a prehistoric shark
rare-shark.jpg

Yea look at that thing....god damn. This little dude was around before the JFK, Lennon and Gunpei incidents.......that son of a bitch.

Cheerilee

shuri said:
Didnt Iwata say in the last episode of Iwata Laughs that Gunpei wasnt even working at nintendo anymore for a couple of months when it happened? He had created his own company by then
Everyone has an escape route. Except the people who don't matter. They never have escape routes. Start planning your escape routes. It doesn't matter what they escape from or where they escape too. If you make enough of them, little things like that won't matter.

Bentendo

First off, Yokoi didn't quit, he retired. He actually stayed four years longer than intended.

Second of all, he was with Nintendo for YEARS, chances are he made friends with some of the employees, and stayed in contact with them after he RETIRED, explaining why he was in the car with one.

ShinobiFist said:
It could be true. People in GAF are acting like shit like this doesn't happen. I mean shit, people believe in Jesus Christ but theres no real life historical log of the man. But people still believe he was real. The wacking of Gunpei is more believable than Jesus Christ ever being born.

What the hell does Jesus have to do with this? Holy shit dude.

Bentendo said:
First off, Yokoi didn't quit, he retired. He actually stayed four years longer than intended.

Second of all, he was with Nintendo for YEARS, chances are he made friends with some of the employees, and stayed in contact with them after he RETIRED, explaining why he was in the car with one.

Pff, I wonder if you're covering up for anyone, Mr. Bentendo. Yeah, didn't think anyone would notice, did you? You'll have to do better than that, I'm afraid.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Segata Sanshiro said:
Pff, I wonder if you're covering up for anyone, Mr. Bentendo. Yeah, didn't think anyone would notice, did you? You'll have to do better than that, I'm afraid.

Speaking of covering things up, Segata, I happen to know your little secret too.

A5855229-7.jpg

1971+-+Kamen+Rider+-+8.jpg

Of course you didn't die in the rocket explosion. You're not even human, you're a cyborg! A Kamen Rider!

Bentendo said:
Did you read my whole post? I guess not. But right now you have some explaining to do. Mr "Bentendo" who posted at........."9:11 a.m.

[Nintex]

In other news how the hell did Matsuno survive after Square-Enix business men followed him across the globe with needles.

He popped up where they least expected him.... at Square-Enix

Where's your stupidity now Wada muahahahah
Seraphis Cain said:
Of course you didn't die in the rocket explosion. You're not even human, you're a cyborg! A Kamen Rider!
A Sony gaming ghetto rocket fired by Crazy Ken is not nearly strong enough to kill hardcore SEGA and Segata.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think there is too many coincidences (the Yakuza dude hitting him, the Nintendo employee in the car) to be totally discredited. But the whole theory is too "out there" to believe.

Note: I don't believe it, but yeah. I wouldn't knock the crazy nutters that do.

Segata Sanshiro said:
ffffffffffffuu this is starting to get a little hot for the segs

So take off all your clothes?
So Nintendo can take photos and then publish them online to discredit the Saturn and/or Dreamcast further. Nintendo does what Sega... don't...?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Segata Sanshiro said:
ffffffffffffuu this is starting to get a little hot for the segs

main_logo.jpg

your secret is safe with me, stop looking at me like that with those come to bed eyes and hot beverage

meppi

What I think?

That it's a bunch of horse shit and anyone who brings it up as a joke in whatever Nintendo related or unrelated thread should be permabanned. That's what I think.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Gunpei Yokoi and Hiroshi Yamauchi had a father and son relation. It's been documented how Yamauchi would have Yokoi pick him up on weekends, and often take him to eat at fancy restaurants. Yamauchi would never fathom such a thing.

Yokoi retired from Nintendo but in good terms. Not because of a shameful failure, but because he worked at Nintendo for over 30 years, and really wanted to have a smaller operation developing quirky things like little LCD key chain games.

Deku

Banned
I enterained the idea, but from all first hand accounts, including Miyamoto who was the apprentice of Yokoi, he retired on good terms.

He wanted to retire at 50, which would have been in the early 90s, but delayed it.

Suzzopher

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Yokoi retired from Nintendo but in good terms. Not because of a shameful failure, but because he worked at Nintendo for over 30 years, and really wanted to have a smaller operation developing quirky things like little LCD key chain games.

But Yamauchi, wouldn't let it go, would he? Every key chain that made it's way into a child's pocket was like a dagger in the back Yamauchi. The person he loved like a son, had now grown away from the old man and was becoming a success in his rights.*

*This post is a complete joke and must not be taken seriously by anyone....ever.

Mael

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Gunpei Yokoi and Hiroshi Yamauchi had a father and son relation. It's been documented how Yamauchi would have Yokoi pick him up on weekends, and often take him to eat at fancy restaurants. Yamauchi would never fathom such a thing.

Weird that Nintendo couldn't provide a little division for him to do that, guess he wanted the freedom anyway...

ah the world of whatcouldhavebeen....

jay

Mael said:
Weird that Nintendo couldn't provide a little division for him to do that, guess he wanted the freedom anyway...

But Nintendo did provide a division for him. A division... IN HELL!

no

he wasn't even working for nintendo at the time was he? He was with bandai I think.

Maybe he was shamed out of the company for the virtual boy debacle but not killed. Even if the yakuza was involved maybe he owed them some money or something?

MisterHero

it's disgusting that people even find this humourous

sure I like a mafia boss Yamauchi joke as much as the next guy, but this joke is overplayed and was never funny

Mael

SonOfABeep said:
no

he wasn't even working for nintendo at the time was he? He was with bandai I think.

Maybe he was shamed out of the company for the virtual boy debacle but not killed. Even if the yakuza was involved maybe he owed them some money or something?

Gaf is kinda like the app store, there's always an existing reply for that :

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Top Bottom