• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Vitacat

RDS Industries, Inc Nintendo Switch Game Traveler Deluxe Travel Case

still no news
Just picked one up from Toys R Us for $20.

It's superb!

Perfectly molded to fit the Switch and joycons, really thoughtful and very protective design. The 2 included game cases (hold 4 carts each) fit into slots in the inner moulding of the case for storage, and a nice pocket to fit earbuds or whatnot. Nice materials everywhere, and good construction. You don't need the Hori if you have this case. In fact, this is better since it holds more games and iMO looks nicer too.

So, yeah. The RDS is a safe bet and a very nice case for the Switch. Love it.

PS - Cancelled the crap PDP one on Amazon. I suggest everyone y do the same.

I just cancelled my order for the Surge case I placed mere hours ago and decided to go with the RDS one. I dunno, I just feel better about the RDS case. It seems like while it's a bit thicker it's built better and I like that its pocket I'll keep my USB cable in is zippered to hold it in place. The pocket in my Vita case is open like the Surge's and the cable doesn't stay in there very well.

Since Amazon's out of stock on the RDS case I think I'm gonna swing by Walmart when I get off work and see if they have it since there's been some reports of it being seen there.

The Zelda special edition case is actually really, really nice. Loved the padding, has storage for headphones and several games, and the outside is hard, providing nice protection

Check local stores. I got the very nice RDS case at Toys R Us just an hour ago.

And every store I went to had the PDP cases, but they're crap and I don't suggest buying.

Thanks. I guess I have to go to brick and mortar in 2017. I'm going out this weekend to see Logan anyways.

Minions

Just grabbed the RDS travel case online from Target. Looked at the system case, but couldn't seem to justify it. Can't wait to get it. Amazons sold out. Need this thing to arrive before I leave on my business trip in a couple weeks.

Ordered the big ass deluxe RDP case from Target. Picking it up tomorrow. I can't be bothered to go into a Toys R Us. I'd feel awkward as a 34 year old man.

I finally got home with my RDS case (from Target). The outside is very nice and sturdy.

Not sure about the "flap" thing. Is it supposed to lay on-top of the Switch screen? I'd be worried about micro scratches from it.

tenchir

I order that Zelda tunic case from amazon on day 1. I didn't get a date estimation until today and it was estimated to be shipped on March 29th, wtf?!?! I canceled a separate Sheikah Case from GS because I prefer this designed. I complained about it to Amazon thinking they might be able to do something about it.

The first CSR had the audacity to tell me I should have read the "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months" on today's description on that webpage when I order it, which I reply it wasn't there on the day I ordered it. He then said it was out of stock at the time I ordered it, where I reply that there was no indication on that listing that there was no more stock.

I then speaked to the supervisor who had to be the worst CSR I have spoken to in a long time. He said that my order status had "Delivery Estimate: Need more time" up until today, so there was no reason for thinking I will get mine today. I told him that I had delivery estimate on my other video game preorders and I still got them all on launch day, so there was no expectation that it wouldn't be the same for this especially that preordered it day 1. He basically tried to put the blame on me.

What is the fucking point of a preorder if I ended up getting a case one month after the launch date of that case? Someone else who didn't preorder the zelda case can preorder that case today and probably get it on the same day as me when they restock it. He said that he will make an exception and offer a $20 promotional credit to me even though I made the mistake and didn't understand their policy. I lost it at that point and told him off. Told him I am canceling that case and buying it somewhere else, and ended the chat right there.

I finally got home with my RDS case (from Target). The outside is very nice and sturdy.

Not sure about the "flap" thing. Is it supposed to lay on-top of the Switch screen? I'd be worried about micro scratches from it.

Yeah it is, it should be fine though since it's soft and shouldn't be moving around on the screen when you secure it with the velcro strap. There's always screen protectors you can get if you're worried, I've caved and ordered these ones earlier today.

I stopped at Walmart and grabbed the plain black mesh RDS case, they had like four of them and about three of the blue Link ones as well. I like it, it's actually thinner than I thought it would be and the flap with a velcro strap holds the Switch in place well without needing to mess with elastic bands like the Surge case. There is some wiggle side to side with the Switch, but nothing substantial nor is it really any different from any other case I've had for other handhelds. The pocket has ample room for my USB cable though I'm unsure if I can fit the wrist straps in as well, nor do they fit in the one indent below the switch. That's fine though, I doubt I'll ever really use them anyway. Feel better now that my Switch has some protection even when just sitting at home.

My one complaint is that the case itself wobbles a bit when sitting on a flat surface, probably because the bottom's not flat. Not enough to really bother me though.

Edit, here's some shitty pictures I took of it:
C6DbiZtVMAAVGm6.jpg:large
C6DbjNvVMAAVM96.jpg:large

C6DbkECVAAIt8aC.jpg:large
C6Dbk-3UwAE-Kzp.jpg:large

I have the cheap Hyperkin one. It was like 10 bucks..pretty surprised by the quality to be honest. Haven't taken my Switch anywhere with it yet, but I like it so far. I'm waiting to figure out how I am handling the power situation (power bank and/or extra USB charger) before I commit to picking up the Waterfield case which I really want..

I have the cheap Hyperkin one. It was like 10 bucks..pretty surprised by the quality to be honest. Haven't taken my Switch anywhere with it yet, but I like it so far. I'm waiting to figure out how I am handling the power situation (power bank and/or extra USB charger) before I commit to picking up the Waterfield case which I really want..

I also bought this one but the fake ads compare to the actually product is making me want to return it :/

ngower

I bought the one that's second in this thread and I had it in my bag while traveling yesterday. It wasan't crammed, but was a full bag (of clothes, mostly) and I feel like there was pressure being put on the Joy Cons. Seems like this case might be temporary for me as I'd prefer something with a bit more protection. Any consensus on the best soft case with a bit of strength to it?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's superb!

Perfectly molded to fit the Switch and joycons, really thoughtful and very protective design. The 2 included game cases (hold 4 carts each) fit into slots in the inner moulding of the case for storage, and a nice pocket to fit earbuds or whatnot. Nice materials everywhere, and good construction. You don't need the Hori if you have this case. In fact, this is better since it holds more games and iMO looks nicer too.

PDP one not good? I have one ready to be picked up, but I'll cancel it and get the RDS one instead in that case.

Cepheus

I bought the huge-ass travel case that has compartments for the dock, grip, charge cable and the tablet itself. It also comes with a smaller case that holds the Switch in handheld mode w/ joycons attached, which fits inside the bigger one. Theoretically I could attach two more joycons onto the grip and put that in the case as well. Unfortunately there's no space for games, but I don't mind. I like keeping my games in their cases anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I bought the huge-ass travel case that has compartments for the dock, grip, charge cable and the tablet itself. It also comes with a smaller case that holds the Switch in handheld mode w/ joycons attached, which fits inside the bigger one. Theoretically I could attach two more joycons onto the grip and put that in the case as well. Unfortunately there's no space for games, but I don't mind. I like keeping my games in their cases anyway.

What would be pretty cool is a Switch game case but with holders for as many cards that could fit instead of just the one. Should be able to get at least 12 cards into one of those, if not more.

Yeah it is, it should be fine though since it's soft and shouldn't be moving around on the screen when you secure it with the velcro strap. There's always screen protectors you can get if you're worried, I've caved and ordered these ones earlier today.

Yeah I might get a screen protector especially with the dock issue. I don't even have my Switch yet, have to wait until at least Monday for it to arrive :(

I'm looking for a case with a relatively hard outer case but also not particularly large. Any suggestions?

The RDS case we are discussing fits the bill. Outside is hard but overall takes up little space. I would feel comfortable throwing it into a bookbag or luggage.

Any good cheap glass screen protectors that are available within a few days or so?

The pocket has ample room for my USB cable though I'm unsure if I can fit the wrist straps in as well, nor do they fit in the one indent below the switch. That's fine though, I doubt I'll ever really use them anyway.

Will the wrist straps fit in the RDS case without sharing the pocket with a usb cable? I would mostly use this to carry between two places.

Salaadin

Any other stores besides target and toys r us selling the RDS case? I want one but my best bets are Wal-Mart and Gamestop as everything else is 25 minutes away

Effect

It's a bit bulky but going to using the one that came with the Master Edition of Breath of the Wild. Will be testing it out today too.

Syril

It looks like the RDS one is a safe bet then? Has anyone had trouble finding one at a store? Amazon is sold out of them.

I also bought this one but the fake ads compare to the actually product is making me want to return it :/

Fake ads? Did they falsely advertise something about the case? I must have missed that, heh. What happened?

EDIT: ah, looked at some Amazon reviews. Apparently they advertised for some padding inside the case. That does suck if people bought it for that. Case was also going to be really temporary for me so I was actually pretty impressed by it at first haha

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Have I missed any cases that are compact due to the fact that you can remove the joycons? That's what I'd like instead of a long case, one that's the width of the screen unit, that has slots for the joycons on top. Seems like that would be less awkward in short bags.

Salaadin

It looks like the RDS one is a safe bet then? Has anyone had trouble finding one at a store? Amazon is sold out of them.
My Wal-Mart and gamestop are out of stock in the RDS one. I grabbed the PDP one instead just to hold me over

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Btw, the old Club Nintendo bag actually works with the base, perfect fit

Terrorblot

I decided to bring the Switch into work today so I could play some games on my lunch break, still no case had me a little nervy. I've currently got it wrapped in a pillowcase stuffed in my purse, definitely hope some of the better cases restock today.

Coffinhal

1540-1.jpg
9€.

I'm getting it because it's the thinest case.

Just bought it (that was the only one available). It's very simple : thin, soft material, it won't protect from big shocks ofc but it's alright if you put in a part of your bag that is already protected. There are two pockets. I'll probably end up putting games in the first one, the second one will receive an USB cable and a microfiber thing. I can't put anything else in there and that's alright.

Salaadin

What seems to be the issue with the PDP case? At first glance, I'm not seeing anything wrong with it. It certainly doesn't seem like its going to damage my Switch like some suggested. It's a little on the thin side but that's my only real complaint.

Veitsev

It's superb!

Grabbed one too. Returning my Hori. This case is much better.

Any good cheap glass screen protectors that are available within a few days or so?

Will the wrist straps fit in the RDS case without sharing the pocket with a usb cable? I would mostly use this to carry between two places.

Yep, after trying it I can actually fit them in with my 3' USB cable as well though it's a bit tricky.

maxcriden

I like the PDP Mario one from GameStop. $15, cute design, no issues with it so far.

Edit: wait the vitacat one is a lot better? Is it on Amazon?

Aztechnology's thread has you covered, I think it's worth waiting for that awesome glass one he links and the thread is filled with good suggestions for the meantime till it comes:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1349755

Yep, after trying it I can actually fit them in with my 3' USB cable as well though it's a bit tricky.

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the RDS case.

It sounds like the official one has a built in stand though? Maybe that'd be nice for not having to take it out of the case or something for desktop mode.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Got the Zelda one, but I feel I need a cleaner solution for also carrying a charger in the case too. Battery is too short lived.

MisterP

Banned
Got my brother to pick the official one up for me as I've been in work all day. I had planned on bringing the Switch with me but over my dead body it it leaving the safety of my home without a case :(

Top Bottom