• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

molnizzle

Hori Tough Pouch

C2JSdBeVIAA5HsF.jpg

Grabbed this as well. About as slim as you can get if you want to fully house the switch and protect the analog sticks. Not much room for other accessories but that's fine for me personally. I just wanted full protection with the smallest possible footprint.

I got the official Nintendo case but wish I got something that could fit more stuff in, basically switch with joycons and some games is all that fits.. Can't put a power adapter in but a cable would fit...

Poppyseed

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Salaadin

I have the $14.99 PDP "Premium Console Case"and I would suggest everyone steer clear.

The net can be kinda tough to get the Switch in and out of and the zipper is positioned in a way that can seriously scratch your Switch (defeating the whole purpose of owning this case)

I have this case and I'm not seeing how the zipper is going to scratch the Switch. Can you take a picture by any chance do I can be sure that I'm not overlooking something?

It's out on April 20th. I wonder if this front cover is thin enough to be slotted into the dock with the console instead of covering the front side like a flap.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01N125DYN/

Can you order stuff from a different country's Amazon site and still have it delivered to your house? Because if so then I really want to buy this (that is if the front cover is thin enough to allow the Switch to be docked).

I have this case and I'm not seeing how the zipper is going to scratch the Switch. Can you take a picture by any chance do I can be sure that I'm not overlooking something?

I can take a photo a little later today but I'll try my best to explain in the meantime. Basically when the case is fully unzipped the actual metal zipper slider rests in the top left just above where the Switch rests. Since the net is tough to put the Switch in and out of you have to be very careful about inserting or removing the console, because you have to slide it just over that metal zipper slider. If you pull the Switch out quickly it can scrape against that slider and scratch the back of the Switch

The reason why the Zelda Special Edition box is so massive is because it turns out the travel case inside was a genuine one, the same size they sell separately. I was very surprised but thrilled that the special one would at least be as durable.

Salaadin

I can take a photo a little later today but I'll try my best to explain in the meantime. Basically when the case is fully unzipped the actual metal zipper slider rests in the top left just above where the Switch rests. Since the net is tough to put the Switch in and out of you have to be very careful about inserting or removing the console, because you have to slide it just over that metal zipper slider. If you pull the Switch out quickly it can scrape against that slider and scratch the back of the Switch

Ahhh I see what you mean. No need for the photo. Thanks.

I don't insert my switch that way so I guess I didn't notice the problem. I go in vertically under the net and turn the switch horizontal as it slides in. It doesn't contact any zippers this way.

Still seems like an oversight in the case design though.

Ahhh I see what you mean. No need for the photo. Thanks.

I don't insert my switch that way so I guess I didn't notice the problem. I go in vertically under the net and turn the switch horizontal as it slides in. It doesn't contact any zippers this way.

Still seems like an oversight in the case design though.

Yea that could be a good "work-around" in the meantime until I find something else. Otherwise I really love the look and feel of this case. Sadly, I don't think it's for me though. It needs a few more tweaks.

BraXzy

I'm planning on making a Nintendo Switch "case-off" video where I compare different cases. I'll be showing off:

Official case
HORI tough pouch
Sheikah Slate case (aka the PDP case)
RDS case

I'm just waiting for the RDS case to be delivered to make the video. Hopefully it helps some people out!

Desperately needed. For screen protectors too.

It's a shame these accessories are so short in supply, no one knows which is best. So a bunch of cases tested would be a great start!

0racle

For people that own the Hori Tough Pouch

Can you store games, the two straps as well as a USB cable for charging?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Do not buy the Hori, as others have said. I have one, and there is way too much wiggle room. The Switch isn't secure in it at all.

Bii

I got the official Nintendo case but wish I got something that could fit more stuff in, basically switch with joycons and some games is all that fits.. Can't put a power adapter in but a cable would fit...

I thought I was going to be able to fit more in there as well. I tried putting the wrist straps in the mesh pocket and still wasn't able to close the case all the way. haha

For a simple minimalist carrier, I'm happy with it. As you've said, the system, Joycons, some games and a cable would be the most I'd fit in there. A small benefit with the case is that it can double as a stand for the Switch so you don't have to use the kickstand.

I do have the Sheikah Slate case that came with the BotW SE; so I might use that and see how much I can put in there.

phanphare

Banned
Ordered the Butterfox case earlier today, should hopefully be here this week. It seems very durable, looks nice, carries a ton of games and has a lot of extra storage room. Might be a bit on the bulkier side but it seems like it'll do everything I need it to do and then some. I'll post more impressions about it when it gets here.

this one looks great

SamNW

Question:

Is it seriously going to be 1-2 months before some of these cases ship, or is Amazon just being conservative? Never ordered something with that sort of back order wait time.

antibolo

Banned
I wish I could find a bigger version of the official Japanese PSP soft pouch I've been using for my DS/3DS/PSP/Vita. I love that thing and been using it for a decade now, but the Switch is way too big to fit inside it.

Grabbed this as well. About as slim as you can get if you want to fully house the switch and protect the analog sticks. Not much room for other accessories but that's fine for me personally. I just wanted full protection with the smallest possible footprint.

Is the Hori tough pouch a good bit thinner than the Sheikah case? I like that case a lot, but it's a bit bulky for just a quick outting.

Question:

Is it seriously going to be 1-2 months before some of these cases ship, or is Amazon just being conservative? Never ordered something with that sort of back order wait time.

Seems like a lot of stuff sold out from the launch and is being listed 1-2 months. My guess is these are conservative estimates and a lot of stuff will come back in stock sooner rather than later.

I was lucky enough to get the Zelda Special Edition, so I've got a Shieka Slate case.

The case that came with the Zelda Special Edition has a hilarious flaw on the case where the emblem on the back isn't centered. It's crooked. Once you see it, you can't unsee.

Vitacat

Too bad most of the cases look really childish or gaudy. If I had to get one, I'd probably go for the Waterfield or wait until someone comes out with something more unobtrusive.

The regular RDS one looks very good IMO, and is very smartly designed inside. There are several cases that are subdued looking without gaudy graphics or colors.

IMO Waterfield looks too much like a woman's clutch pocketbook. Now, if you are a woman then that might actually be a plus.

spock

I thought I was going to be able to fit more in there as well. I tried putting the wrist straps in the mesh pocket and still wasn't able to close the case all the way. haha

For a simple minimalist carrier, I'm happy with it. As you've said, the system, Joycons, some games and a cable would be the most I'd fit in there. A small benefit with the case is that it can double as a stand for the Switch so you don't have to use the kickstand.

I do have the Sheikah Slate case that came with the BotW SE; so I might use that and see how much I can put in there.

Just got the official case as well and not fitting in the wrist straps most def sucks bollocks...I would have a got a different case for sure.

Socreges

Banned
Can someone measure the width of the RDS case? Wondering how thick it is and if it'll fit into my laptop bag comfortably

I am really enjoying the HORI case. However I wish there were elastic straps to hold the console more firmly in place. Looking for a case that fits the bill better but no luck yet.

Ein Bear

I'm very happy with the Hori case. It feels just bulky enough that it provides good tough protection, without being so huge that it's a pain to chuck in your bag. Highly reccomended.

Vitacat

Can someone measure the width of the RDS case? Wondering how thick it is and if it'll fit into my laptop bag comfortably

About 10.4 inches wide, 2 inches thick, 5.1 inches high (~5.5 inches including the handle).

My Breath of the Wild special edition just got cancelled on me. The current recommended case here is this guy right?

91rXJJEHSyL._SL1500_.jpg

Highly recommended. Very thoughtful design, perfect fit, and highly protective. I'm loving it.

Socreges

Banned
About 10.4 inches wide, 2 inches thick, 5.1 inches high (~5.5 inches including the handle).

Highly recommended. Very thoughtful design, perfect fit, and highly protective. I'm loving it.
Thanks! Wish it were thinner but 2 inches is decent considering what it offers

Coffinhal

1540-1.jpg
9€.

I'm getting it because it's the thinest case.

Update on this one : fits great in my backpack. I found out that the left Pocket can contain 2 joy-cons and their straps! You can put an USB cable on the right Pocket with a few more games and/or earpods.

It's very thin so not as shock-proof as the big cases but you can fit pretty much everything you need (Switch+two pairs of joycons+their straps+games+earpods). Plus it doesn't say "NINTENDO SWITCH" everywhere.

I'd have liked to be able to fit a power adapter but it's good enough for what I need. It's most likely going to be in a backpack when I take it out of the house anyway so it's no big deal.

jrDev

Just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBMRTNG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I hope its good...

I bought the Zelda premium case but it cannot fit any extra chargers (power bank and cord) and stuff, will this be able to? I will return the Zelda case if so.

Yousefb

Dammit, I cannot find ANY Switch carrying cases in the local stores or even Amazon. What gives man? Can anybody help? :(

I'd get the Waterfield case if it wasn't for that heftiy price tag. Even if it's handmade and has leather, I don't think $80 is justified.

SickBoy

Dammit, I cannot find ANY Switch carrying cases in the local stores or even Amazon. What gives man? Can anybody help? :(

I imagine accessory manufacturers (and Nintendo as well) were probably conservative in their projections for case sales — basing them on other handhelds (and the most recent market for those are the DS/3DS).

I'm betting demand is much higher than anyone anticipated — I don't have a case for any of my prior handhelds (just a couple of those Club Nintendo bags, one of which I use for the Vita).

I felt that with the pricing on this system and its exposed screen, a case was essential... and it seems like a lot of other people feel the same way.

molnizzle

Wouldn't bother. Sounds like it makes the same mistakes as the Sheikah/Zelda tunic cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xcrca/hori_tough_pouch/

eh, I had it in my backpack all day at school today and it was fine. The Switch isn't moving around in there in any meaningful way.

Is the Hori tough pouch a good bit thinner than the Sheikah case? I like that case a lot, but it's a bit bulky for just a quick outting.

Judging from pics I'd say yes, but I haven't held one in person.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just found out that both the screen and joycons fit very well in the Club Nintendo pouch when you break them apart. I guess I'll put a protective piece of something in between and call it a day, that works pretty well for me.

OmahaG8

I see a lot of comments about the RDS traveler case - but does anyone have or know where to find better pictures of the RDS system case? I got the $20 one delivered today from Amazon, and I love their NES mini case, but I think I need a bit more space.

Target seems to have them for sale right now - and $10 cheaper than what Amazon shows when they come in stock later this month.

Between a power bank, headphones, headphone amplifier, joycon straps, and cables, it is now becoming clear to me that I need something a little more.

The PDP backpack looks good on the outside, but the pictures I've seen on the inside have turned me away.

Okay I found an official Nintendo case and an RDS Zelda edition case. Both are very nice cases and finally the only 2 quality cases I've found. I would recommend either far and above the PDP Zelda/Mario/Switch Edition cases.

The RDS case fit the Switch perfectly, has extra storage, and is very protective. The Nintendo case looks great, is nice and slim, and fits into a bag very easily. I would recommend either, but I'm going to go with the Nintendo case. I love the RDS case, but since I ride the train multiple days per week, something slim that fits into a backpack easily is more important than extra storage and features. Its right for me, but I can still recommend the RDS case for other's that don't mind a little extra bulk.

Top Bottom