• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

I am leaning towards playing Vagrant Story first, but how long is Tactics Ogre?

Vagrant Story is by far the shortest game on your list. It's easily the best short RPG I've ever played though. A real Yasumi Matsuno masterpiece. Presentation/Cutscenes are 10/10 for a PS1 game, only really rivalled by Metal Gear Solid. Battle system is unlike anything else I've played (aside from...maybe Parasite Eve, but even that's a stretch), music is top 3 best soundtrack of all time, atmosphere is 10/10, story is great. I really fell in love with this game, only played it for the first time after FFXII too during the PS3/360/Wii era!

Opa-Pa

Vagrant Story is by far the shortest game on your list. It's easily the best short RPG I've ever played though. A real Yasumi Matsuno masterpiece. Presentation/Cutscenes are 10/10 for a PS1 game, only really rivalled by Metal Gear Solid. Battle system is unlike anything else I've played (aside from...maybe Parasite Eve, but even that's a stretch), music is top 3 best soundtrack of all time, atmosphere is 10/10, story is great. I really fell in love with this game, only played it for the first time after FFXII too during the PS3/360/Wii era!

So Vagrant Story is particularly short? Nice. I had to choose between it and FFXII after being done with Tactics and went with XII because I was simply too excited for it, but if it's indeed short then maybe I could play it on the side.

hongcha

I'm working through 3 at the moment:

3DS Japan - Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. This is surprisingly awesome. Great game, much improved from the original DS version!
Vita USA - Utawarerumono. Going through this one slowly, but enjoying it.
PS4 Japan - Dragon Quest XI. My main game at the moment. Loving every minute of it!

Ekid

Currently a few hours in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion. Story is classic Matsuno but I'm a little disappointed by some things like having to go back to the tavern to finish a quest. I may be wrong but I remember FFTA being better on the QOL stuff.

kromeo

Currently a few hours in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion. Story is classic Matsuno but I'm a little disappointed by some things like having to go back to the tavern to finish a quest. I may be wrong but I remember FFTA being better on the QOL stuff.

Not being able to avoid random battles is the worst feature of FFT

weltalldx

Playing Nier Automata and not finding the motivation to continue. There are so many aspects I am not liking about this game: awkward camera shifts, laggy button reaction, similar looking and uninteresting environments, creepy art direction, unlikeable protaganist, and the general emphasis on style over substance throughout the game. I am just not seeing why quite a few people on this forum are recommending this game.

Daouzin

Started Natural Doctrine. Picked it up on PS4 during the summer sale. I would like it a lot more if it didn't set up so many easy pitfalls to fall into. I've died many times in the game and every time it's a result of not knowing the game would "trigger" certain events or enemies. In the scenarios I'm speaking of, it's basically an immediate failure state and I feel punished for exploring the stage.

I might just stick to doing only what the story is focused on in battles, which is lame.

Playing Nier Automata and not finding the motivation to continue. There are so many aspects I am not liking about this game: awkward camera shifts, laggy button reaction, similar looking and uninteresting environments, creepy art direction, unlikeable protaganist, and the general emphasis on style over substance throughout the game. I am just not seeing why quite a few people on this forum are recommending this game.

I don't think there is anyone that is a huge fan of the game that wouldn't be willing to agree that the "combat" can be a bit shallow, but the experience as a whole is exceptional.

I compare it to Gurren Lagann, which I found to be a pretty average anime until roughly a 1/3rd into the series where it starts to do some crazy stuff. Then the experience as a whole is incredible and the first 3rd of the show is completely justified.

Nier Automata definitely asks for the player to invest, but few games deliver on any investment with the same level of success.

kubricks

Thinking of buying the from Steam one of those "Tales of" since they are on discount.

If I value combat over story should I get Berseria or Zestiria?
in the past I played all the Vita Tales of title and my favourite is Tales of Destiny 2 (The one with Kyle in it.)

Renmyra

Thinking of buying the from Steam one of those "Tales of" since they are on discount.

If I value combat over story should I get Berseria or Zestiria?
in the past I played all the Vita Tales of title and my favourite is Tales of Destiny 2 (The one with Kyle in it.)

Do you prefer relying on a gimmick and spam aoe attacks (Zestiria) or mash a single button dependent on what type of monster you're attacking (Berseria)? I preferred Zestiria simply because of the monotonous nature of Berseria's combat
Neither were that good to be honest. Most seem to prefer Berseria though.

kubricks

Do you prefer relying on a gimmick and spam aoe attacks (Zestiria) or mash a single button dependent on what type of monster you're attacking (Berseria)? I preferred Zestiria simply because of the monotonous nature of Berseria's combat Neither were that good to be honest. Most seem to prefer Berseria though.

TBH neither sounded promising LOL.

Opa-Pa

Is Automata's combat really that inferior to other Platinum's games or is it one of those cases where it only truly shines in higher difficulties and therefore most people ignore that it's good?

I'm curious because I even enjoyed the original Nier's but obviously I have high expectations due to Platinum's involvement and it seemed good in the demo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
PSVita: Parasite Eve
PSVita/PS4: Final Fantasy X

Once I'm done with PE, Imma going for Dirge of Cerberus.

Currently SMT IV Apocalypse. Got it last year when it came out and finally got into it recently. Lots of reused assets from SMT 4, but don't mind too mich since it has been a few years since I played it. Been having a blast, by far my favorite turn based combat and fusing demons is so addicting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is Automata's combat really that inferior to other Platinum's games or is it one of those cases where it only truly shines in higher difficulties and therefore most people ignore that it's good?

I'm curious because I even enjoyed the original Nier's but obviously I have high expectations due to Platinum's involvement and it seemed good in the demo.

Nier Automata's combat is evolve version of Nier and Drakengard 3 combat with Platinum twist. If u expecting Bayonetta level combo system then u are in for disappointment.

With that being said the game has nice combo system.

be warned the video has some spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxOuKjluPA

kubricks

I can't comment whether it is worse than other Platinum games, but on Nier Automata playing on higher difficulty does not improve the combat at all IMO. It just introduce more one hit kill scenario and the enemy more likely to dodge, and that's that. The removal of lock on mechanics in hard or very hard is more like a nuisance than challange.

Pretty early on in NIer: Automata, but it's EXACTLY what I wanted in a sequel.

The soundtrack is already stunning, the story/characters are quirky and mysterious, and the combat is a huge improvement over the original (obviously lol).

Can't wait to dive deeper into it.

preta

I'm working through 3 at the moment:

3DS Japan - Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. This is surprisingly awesome. Great game, much improved from the original DS version!
Vita USA - Utawarerumono. Going through this one slowly, but enjoying it.
PS4 Japan - Dragon Quest XI. My main game at the moment. Loving every minute of it!

What are some of the most notable additions and improvements in RH Perfect Chronology? I noticed that a Youtube playlist of a playthrough of PC had the original game's final boss and ending at part 34 or 35 out of 60, so it definitely seems like there's quite a lot of new content in the third timeline.

There's another, smaller thing that was bugging me, though - if you have the OG portrait DLC, does it also change Eruca's sprite back to her old one? And does it change battle icons too?

Ascheroth

I started Trails of Cold Steel on PC 2 days ago and it's fan-fucking-tastic so far and the port is terrific (thanks Durante).

The combat is good and allows you to do lots of cool stuff, but the game never really shows or tells you what you can do and it doesn't require you to do more than the minimum.
The balancing is shite regardless of difficulty.

Fantastic game though.

Finished P2: Innocent Sin. The gameplay really was a slog to get through. It was too easy and everything just took way too long to get through. I ended up enjoying the story and characters a lot overall though. Michel and Lisa were the weaker members of the cast to me, but even they had some nice moments (and Michel's unique character design is really endearing). I felt like the rest of the cast had better characterization and development though, and the huge amount of optional dialogue between story events really helps to flesh all the characters out.

I've heard that Eternal Punishment is an improvement on pretty much all fronts with a much higher difficulty level so I'm really looking forward to starting it. Though I'm thinking I'll take a break and play something else beforehand so I don't get burned out on P2's style of gameplay.

Z3M0G

About 2.5 hours into Persona 5...

I don't find the premise as compelling as either P3 or P4, but I'm hoping it grows on me... the presentation is incredible. A lot of anime scenes!

gweemz

Just finished Final Fantasy VII. Should I play VIII or XII next? I haven't played either yet, but was thinking of getting the ps4 remaster for XII and playing that.

kromeo

Just finished Final Fantasy VII. Should I play VIII or XII next? I haven't played either yet, but was thinking of getting the ps4 remaster for XII and playing that.

VIII is a great game and my personal favorite but might as well play XII now while the thread is still active

Fou-Lu

Almost four hours into Vagrant Story and liking it a lot. There are a lot of systems and I am not sure if I am using them right, but the atmosphere is amazing.

pbayne

Finished dragon quest 7. I gather its not really a typical game in the series with the weird episodic structure it has. I enjoyed it for the variety but it was somewhat hard to latch on to characters and plot since its so disconnected at times.A good tv game for me in the end.

Might finally start up ff15 now.

Aters

About 2.5 hours into Persona 5...

I don't find the premise as compelling as either P3 or P4, but I'm hoping it grows on me... the presentation is incredible. A lot of anime scenes!

I don't think the anime sequences are particularly well done. The proportion is weird to me. I'd rather they just make real time rendering.

Just finished Chapter 3 of Trails SC.

The reveal that
Renne was with Ouroboros
was pretty shocking, but would have had a much greater impact if I hadn't already looked at official marketing material which implicitly spoiled it.

As for the boss,
with an explosion that big after getting defeated, Amalthea shouldn't have survived in that tank, let alone with full health.

Final Fantasy III

Cryptic bullshit and bad dungeons aside, I think its better than I and II
The job system is interesting and it allows for varied combinations.

Odin keeps kicking ass rn, so going forward might take

danthefan

Disgaea 5. Early days but I'm going to try get deep into the post game stuff. I'm only on about chapter 4 though so far.

I started Trails of Cold Steel 2 a while back immediately after finishing CS1. Got about 15 hours in but it was just too much Trails in a row. So I'll go back to that in a while.

Do Nier and Nioh count as JRPGs? I finished the former about a month ago, thought it was superb, and I've just started the latter beating the first boss.

Have FFXV on the list whenever I finish up one of the other big games I'm playing currently, probably when I'm done with Yakuza 0.

Other games I want to get soon-ish are Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria.

Opa-Pa

Thanks for the replies on Automata guys. I guess the combat is decent but the encounter design isn't anything to write home about, oh well, still sounds pretty good and I'm excited to play it soon.

Aalvi

Would I like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance if I really liked FFTs story?

I like every aspect of FFT and I played FFTA when I was young and I think I remember the story not being that interesting with more simplified gameplay(correct me if I'm wrong).

Labadal

I'd say that you're at the halfway point of the game.

Would I like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance if I really liked FFTs story?

I like every aspect of FFT and I played FFTA when I was young and I think I remember the story not being that interesting with more simplified gameplay(correct me if I'm wrong).
Story isn't the reason to play FFTA in my humble opinion. Still a good game, though.

Aalvi

I'd say that you're at the halfway point of the game.

Story isn't the reason to play FFTA in my humble opinion. Still a good game, though.

Does the same apply to the DS one?

I liked pretty much everything about FFT, I don't really know if I want to play something "lesser" to some extent.

Labadal

Does the same apply to the DS one?

I liked pretty much everything about FFT, I don't really know if I want to play something "lesser" to some extent.
I prefer FFTA2 over FFTA to be honest. I like the systems a bit more in that one. The story is probably worse than FFTA but it was a long time ago that I played it. In any case, you don't play the Advance games for their story.

Aalvi

I prefer FFTA2 over FFTA to be honest. I like the systems a bit more in that one. The story is probably worse than FFTA but it was a long time ago that I played it. In any case, you don't play the Advance games for their story.

Ah okay, thanks for the input.

I ask because I'm trying to play older games I may have missed out on and found it difficult for ones that don't really have some story to properly drive me. The reason being that it generally helps me deal with potential outdated/simplified/bad/not fun game mechanics. Since I generally have a lot of good games to play, trying to fit in more in my backlog isn't necessary or desired so I try to figure out if I would be able to play through it and enjoy it.

MikeyB

I am not a huge JRPG guy, but really liked Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 2, Secret of Mana, the World Ends with You, and Beyond Oasis back in the day.

I am trying to get back into the genre but having a difficult time. I tried and failed with Shin Megami Tensei 4 and I am trying with Breath of Fire 4 and Suikoden 2. I have to say though that as a time contrained gamer, neither is grabbing me from the get go. Do they pick up the pace after the first few hours or have I forgotten the slow burn of old JRPGs?

I have other options - old Genesis Shining Force and Phantasy Star series and P4G. I am thinking of switching to P4G.

Labadal

I am not a huge JRPG guy, but really liked Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 2, Secret of Mana, the World Ends with You, and Beyond Oasis back in the day.

I am trying to get back into the genre but having a difficult time. I tried and failed with Shin Megami Tensei 4 and I am trying with Breath of Fire 4 and Suikoden 2. I have to say though that as a time contrained gamer, neither is grabbing me from the get go. Do they pick up the pace after the first few hours or have I forgotten the slow burn of old JRPGs?

I have other options - old Genesis Shining Force and Phantasy Star series and P4G. I am thinking of switching to P4G.
P4G? Hoo boy. I like it but the start is veeeeery sloooooow.

I Am Setsuna. Got it at Switch launch, but never touched it due to Zelda at the time. Finally decided to dig into it and I'm having a lot of fun. The music is amazing.

Top Bottom