• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

killatopak

Gold Member
Playing SRWV at the moment. Played like there was no tomorrow for 50 stages. I only have like 6 stages to go but I burned out and started playing other games. Maybe I should go finish the game and make my 2nd playthrough. 2nds playthrough would be significantly more fun as I can upgrade my mechs to op status from the get-go.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
latest

Loving it. cant put it down. Really wish they would re-visit the idea with more of the story involved.

Picked up Kingdom Hearts 2 again in the 1.5+2.5 collection on PS4. I got about 21hrs in and got super frustrated in Space Paranoids pt.2 where you have to clear the sail of heartless before it weighs it down and after about 15 tries of not even being close, I gave up. Last night I turned it back on and went to Candy Cane Lane and fought the heartless there enough times until I got up 2 levels which increased my defense and strength. I went back to the sail in SP, and beat it the first time. I haven't beaten this game in years so I really wanted to do it and it feels good.

I've been playing Record of Agarest War 2. Surprised by how much I've been enjoying the game.

I just got the Switch, and been playing Breath of the Wild.

The next game on my backlog is Resonance of Fate

Replaying Breath of Fire 3 because I've never beaten it, playing on original hardware too! It's been fun streaming it too, I hope to do BoF4 afterwardsz

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Think I'm calling it quits on Atelier Sophie or at least putting it aside for a while. I was really liking it for a good long while but now I'm at a point where it seems as though progressing the plot will be really annoying an unfun.

Which for now leaves me with just FF7 as my only current rpg. Hopefully I can finish that soon and begin replaying all of the .hack games prior to the upcoming G.U. collections release!

FinalAres

Star Ocean 3. Got it as a kid but never finished it, so I'm finally doing it!

It's a pretty bad game, some interesting ideas though.

Then Fez, then that's my backlog complete. Will go back and play Birth by Sleep next (I don't count remasters in my backlog).

Finished dragon quest 7. I gather its not really a typical game in the series with the weird episodic structure it has. I enjoyed it for the variety but it was somewhat hard to latch on to characters and plot since its so disconnected at times.A good tv game for me in the end.
There are two other DQ games that have a similar episodic structure: DQ6 and DQ9. But DQ7 did it best, IMHO

GeekyDad

latest

Loving it. cant put it down. Really wish they would re-visit the idea with more of the story involved.

This is such a terribly under-rated and sorely overlooked DS RPG in my book. A really solid and fun Monolith RPG, but really, they nailed the artwork and dialogue so well. I had played various DB games and peeked into the manga and anime a bit. But it was this game that really helped tie all of the story (up to that point) together for me. So much fun. So cute, so funny. Great game.

Ascheroth

Think I'm calling it quits on Atelier Sophie or at least putting it aside for a while. I was really liking it for a good long while but now I'm at a point where it seems as though progressing the plot will be really annoying an unfun.
Out of curiosity, at which point are you?
I never got the feeling that plot progression dramatically changed.

Justinh

I'm debating on restarting DQVII because I don't remember a single thing. 50 hours in so I'm not sure...

Oh dude, did you like... put it down for a while so you want to start fresh when you come back to it? I do that with JRPGs too! I never finished The Last Story because I kept starting, putting it down for a while like 10 hours in, and restarting. One day, I'll finish that game... I haven't started anew with Bravely Default, though, because I don't want to get lucky with Street Passes all over again (there's like nobody around where I live with 3DSes apparently)

I'm sorry, I can't be helpful with your predicament though. I actually just started DQVII on 3DS and I'm only a few hours in.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
There are two other DQ games that have a similar episodic structure: DQ6 and DQ9. But DQ7 did it best, IMHO
I dun remember 6 having a very episodic feel to it? 4 & 9 for sure did though. All of which I found wayyyyy better than 7.

Out of curiosity, at which point are you?
I never got the feeling that plot progression dramatically changed.
I found the Cauldron of Knowledge an then ya know plot stuff happened. Now I gotta "get better at alchemy" to continue. Which was okay progression style for like the first 20 hours but not when I'm looking at near/end game in the face. Having ta go through some annoying to crazy steps just to think up new recipes bites at this point an doubly so when you're to low level to make the items anyhow! I know if ya have the materials you can make 'em anyway but that feels like a waste.

Also the issue of not having the ingredients because I've been playing on easy/normal unknowingly being locked outta monster drops. The thought of jacking the difficulty up hurts cause I've tried it an gotten slaughtered so I'd be sent back to remaking full new sets of weapons/armor/accessories. Which I dunno what attributes or things to make 'em with would be cause there are no faqs for the game an painfully lil available info ta dig up in the first place. -_-;

delroy

Neo Member
Soon to be FFXII Zodiac. I found the original release challenging to get into, never made it more than 10 hours. Hoping the updates and tweaks make this easier for me, heard good things.

RDreamer

I'm debating on restarting DQVII because I don't remember a single thing. 50 hours in so I'm not sure...

Nothing overarching really happens in the first 50+ hours anyway. It's all smaller stories. You could probably get caught up by reading a character summary or something on a wiki plus the story so far thing in game.

I'm playing it now and I'm 70 hours in and juuuuuust about to get to what I think is an overarching plot. Maybe. Hopefully.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

It's awesome.
FF12 is one of my all-time favourite games & playing this remaster is just reaffirming my love for it. I tried to ground my expectations a bit in case it didn't quite live up to my nostalgic memories but I actually think I'm enjoying it even more this time around. I'm certainly better at it

Skar

Final Fantasy 12 on PS4. After that I still need to play ff15, WoFF, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, I am Setsuna, and I have a raspberry pi with all sorts of classic RPGs I want to play.

It takes me forever to get through a game though. I work full time, night shift, 6 nights a week in a factory. It's hard to stay awake during the day let alone focused enough to play through an RPG.

Fou-Lu

Just beat Vagrant Story and think it has one of the strongest ending segments in any game ever. For my next game I am debating between Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Quest VII, Final Fantasy X-2, Tales of the Abyss and Tactics Ogre LUCT.

Labadal

Just beat Vagrant Story and think it has one of the strongest ending segments in any game ever. For my next game I am debating between Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Quest VII, Final Fantasy X-2, Tales of the Abyss and Tactics Ogre LUCT.
You listened to me (and others last time), do it again. Play Valkyrie Profile. There's not much like it around, to be honest.

Aters

Valkyrie Profile and then Tactics Ogre LUCT.

I finally beat Persona 5. Now I'm playing Golden Sun on the GBA. I'm a huge fan of the sequel, Lost Age, played it a ton as a kid, but I never played the first one until I picked up a copy recently. Great turn based battle system with really good graphics for a GBA game, especially the battle screens. It also heavily features puzzle solving in the dungeons, which is something I love about the series. Hopefully we get another game in the series someday.

Misterhbk

I'm about 34 hours into Final Fantasy 12 on PS4 and I think the game is beginning to really build towards the climax of events. Im loving my time with it. It's the first game I've really gotten to sink my teeth into since moving into my current house back in February. Finally got more time and my gaming space set up and I'm glad this was the first game I picked up. So much fun. Though I do hate that the hunts have all been incredibly easy thus far, save for a couple that when near death suddenly become massive powerhouses that attack unrelenting.

Up next I think I'll jump back into Tales of Berseria and finish that off as I stopped back in February. Though I have been wanting to play some handheld stuff, Tactics Ogre, Final fantasy VII, Crimson Gem Saga, etc.

Ascheroth

I dun remember 6 having a very episodic feel to it? 4 & 9 for sure did though. All of which I found wayyyyy better than 7.

I found the Cauldron of Knowledge an then ya know plot stuff happened. Now I gotta "get better at alchemy" to continue. Which was okay progression style for like the first 20 hours but not when I'm looking at near/end game in the face. Having ta go through some annoying to crazy steps just to think up new recipes bites at this point an doubly so when you're to low level to make the items anyhow! I know if ya have the materials you can make 'em anyway but that feels like a waste.

Also the issue of not having the ingredients because I've been playing on easy/normal unknowingly being locked outta monster drops. The thought of jacking the difficulty up hurts cause I've tried it an gotten slaughtered so I'd be sent back to remaking full new sets of weapons/armor/accessories. Which I dunno what attributes or things to make 'em with would be cause there are no faqs for the game an painfully lil available info ta dig up in the first place. -_-;
I think you're misunderstand a couple things here. Alchemy level is not a requirement for crafting. You can synthesize a Lvl. 30 item at Lvl. 1 just fine. It only effects the quality of the item, i.e synthesizing an item over your level will make it have bad quality - which is completely inconsequential for story items. It's also not required to unlock the entire recipe-book in order to finish the game.

Also, the game does not lock you out of things based on difficulty or progress. I've 100%ed the entire game on normal without issues. Honestly, as soon as you make an insta-kill bomb and duplicate it a few times in the duplicate shop you're cruising through the entire thing anyway outside of bosses and some immune monsters.

The in-game encyclopedia is chock-full with useful information and there are a couple 'best traits' guides floating around in the net if you need more help.
The game really isn't that difficult or grindy.
Of course, a lot of your enjoyment is going to depend on how much you like synthesis and optimizing things.

Depends on where you were at, but likely you don't have a long way to go until the end, and VII's endgame is pretty satisfying.

The game has a menu option that lets you know of all plot developments so you can refresh your memory.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dragon Quest 8. This my first experience with the series. I'm about 2h in to it and so far really liking it. This game is charming as hell and half of it is because of Akira Toriyama's artsyle. I also didnt realize how old school this game is, it took me hour to figure out that u need to transfer your weapon from your bag to the MC in order to equip the weapons.

Another funny thing happen when I first I got Zoom spell. I think it's this game's version of fast travel but I used it inside the dungeon and MC suddenly fly up and crashed to the ceiling. I don't know why but I just laugh my ass off. I kind of hating myself for not getting in to the series sooner

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I think you're misunderstand a couple things here. Alchemy level is not a requirement for crafting. You can synthesize a Lvl. 30 item at Lvl. 1 just fine. It only effects the quality of the item, i.e synthesizing an item over your level will make it have bad quality - which is completely inconsequential for story items. It's also not required to unlock the entire recipe-book in order to finish the game.
I do understand that first part but doing that woulda felt like a waste of materials. That second part though? Whaaaat? Why even have a minimum level required for story items if their quality isn't important? I've taken lotsa time and good materials trying to ensure the story items were of decent quality! To now learn I coulda just thrown junk at Plachta and the others this whole time kinda stings! I could made
Plachta's body outta literal garbage an nothing woulda been any different
? Lame!

Also, the game does not lock you out of things based on difficulty or progress. I've 100%ed the entire game on normal without issues. Honestly, as soon as you make an insta-kill bomb and duplicate it a few times in the duplicate shop you're cruising through the entire thing anyway outside of bosses and some immune monsters.
I can't find a Pendegrune(?) for the life of me an any searches I've done for it says it comes from monsters on a higher diffculty. Do monsters drop the same items regardless of difficulty but instead they're of lower quality or lower drop rate?

Valkyrie Profile is a very, very good game. Tactics Ogre will then be the best thing for you, especially if you are then starving for more Yasumi Matsuno games. Also make sure that it's the PSP remake since it includes lots of new scenarios and characters.

Ascheroth

I do understand that first part but doing that woulda felt like a waste of materials. That second part though? Whaaaat? Why even have a minimum level required for story items if their quality isn't important? I've taken lotsa time and good materials trying to ensure the story items were of decent quality! To now learn I coulda just thrown junk at Plachta and the others this whole time kinda stings! I could made
Plachta's body outta literal garbage an nothing woulda been any different
? Lame!

I can't find a Pendegrune(?) for the life of me an any searches I've done for it says it comes from monsters on a higher diffculty. Do monsters drop the same items regardless of difficulty but instead they're of lower quality or lower drop rate?
Haha, yes. It's kind of awkward, but definitely better than grind would have been.

You can buy Pendegrunes from Pamella or Tess iirc and they definitely can be found in some dungeons. Potentially from a rumor.
I don't actually know if there is a difference between drops in difficulty modes, I only know that I played on normal and found everything I needed.

RalchAC

I'm about to finish Tales of Berseria. I really like it, it is to the PS3 games what Vesperia was to Team Symphonia's PS2 entries.

Which is good and bad, I'd say. The game is packed with content, the battle system reminded me a bit to Graces A-Arte tree (biggest difference is that you can customize it), the amount of skits is wonderful and the game has a really strong cast. Having not played Zestiria, I honestly fell in love with the lore and the story and I think a big part of it is because of how it's presented. I've been watching the Zestiria anime (since I don't plan to play it anytime soon) and I felt the TV series throws you the mysteries of the world way too fast and way too often. Berseria did a much better job in that sense.

But, being the final hurra to the PS3 entries, a lot of bad design decisions found in Graces onward are still here. The main ones being the boring empty fields (which have been a problem since Xillia) and the crafting system which I've been told was inherited from Zestiria.

I'd say it's a game worth playing. A really good game at heart that's harmed by some design decisions that got old 3 entries ago. I hope the next entry ditches their engine in favour of UE4 and tries to renew the series. Because otherwise they'd need one hell of a game to make my interested "post-Xillia" style Tales of again.

I want to finish Dark Cloud next and I'll probably get Nier Automata in October or so. But I'd like to play some shorter games in between before playing another long game.

V3rt1go

Valkyria Revolution - only 5 hours in and the bland cast is the only thing i dont like. The OST, setting, and story are kinda cool.

The battle system seems like something of a mix feeling.

Elephant

Neo Member
FFXII as I never finished it the first time around. Not particularly enjoying it thus far, but aim to complete it soon. The only Pre-XIII FF I've not finished.

Exhumed

Currently on FF XII. I remember playing back in college and getting to the final dungeon right before finals week. Had to set it aside to study and never got back to it. Aside from FFX-2, it's the only Final Fantasy game I haven't beaten.

Not technically a JRPG, as it's not from Japan but playing Cosmic Star Heroine.

Aesthetically it nails the 16- bit RPG.

The battle system has enough little twists to keep things fresh and make every turn important for building towards future attacks. Keeping your head in the game.

The script is a bit of a let down, it's fine but that's it really, it really needs more time for characters to develop.You get a good sketch of characters personalities but nothing more than that up to now. I am only about 12 hours in at the moment though.

It does let you crew up your own star ship, which ever since Skies of Arcadia is one of my favourite things to do in gaming.

Persona 4 Golden. Finally took the dive into this game after all the glowing recommendations on GAF. Completely hooked, About 35 hours in. No regrets. Time well spent.

pbayne

Endgame in i am setsuna.

Put about 3 hours into ff15, and it aint great. So many design decisions and game play elements were i just scratch my head and think "why?"

SPCTRE

I am theoretically playing P5, 6-ish hours or so in.

Haven't actually touched the game in a while, it's tough because I don't have a lot of free time and it feels soooo slow to get going.

TitanNut88

I am currently playing FFXII: The Zodiac Age and once I am done with it (it will take time as I want to finally complete it after playing it for the 5th time) I think I will try to play Xenoblade on Dolphin.

Top Bottom