• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Smartphone Do You Have?

What is your smartphone of choice?

• Apple

Votes: 78 35.8%
  • Samsung

Votes: 67 30.7%
  • Google Pixel

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • OnePlus

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Huawei

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Other......

Votes: 25 11.5%

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I noticed the other day at work that I was the only person out of a team of 20 that didn't have a Samsung or Apple phone.

I'm currently rocking a Google Pixel 3XL. I've always had Google phones mainly due to the pure Android experience and the camera software. I was tempted to go for the Sony 1 iii this year when my upgrade is available, but from what I'm hearing about the Pixel 6XL/Pro, I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with Google.

However, I feel like I'm the only person with a Pixel. I don't know another living soul who has a Google phone. In fact, everyone I know is either rocking an iPhone or a Galaxy.

I'm interested to see the rest here, but I'm confident Apple and Samsung will dominate the poll results.

D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
Wife and I bought iPhone 12’s recently. The last time I had an iPhone was the 3s I think?

Soodanim

iPhone XR. It was my first iPhone, and I miss some things from Android but the base software in iOS is solid. Better than Android was last time I was there. When I eventually look at the market again I’ll take another look at Android, but I’m happy with iPhone for the most part. The lack of YouTube Vanced and iPhone’s notification system being worse than Android’s are the worst parts.

IDKFA

iPhone 12. I'm into the Apple ecosystem.

This is an important point. If you're invested into the Apple or Android ecosystem then it's hard to justify a switch.

I have so many films, games and apps that I've purchased for Android that it would be impossible for me to switch to IOS.

This is an important point. If you're invested into the Apple or Android ecosystem then it's hard to justify a switch.

I have so many films, games and apps that I've purchased for Android that it would be impossible for me to switch to IOS.
Super important. But for me the most important thing was the location of where I'm currently living. Googles apps, for example, are a no go unless you use VPN, and using Google Maps with VPN is not a pleasant experience.

Basically I can use all Apple services here because none of them are blocked and I can easily use the Portuguese services while living here.

MrFunSocks

Banned
iPhone 12 mini and S21 Ultra, though the iPhones the main one I use. I tend to buy about 3-4 flagships a year, I like my phones haha.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I have an iPhone 11 Pro. I see both as pretty good, had lots of android in the past. I more just got tired of being the odd man out. I caved to societal pressure 😩

Last edited:

Forsete

Gold Member
Recently switched back to Apple. So iPhone 12.
The last iPhone I had before this one was the 3GS.

IDKFA

iPhone 12 mini and S21 Ultra, though the iPhones the main one I use. I tend to buy about 3-4 flagships a year, I like my phones haha.

You sound like you know your smartphones.

What are your thoughts on the Pixel 6 rumours? Will you be getting the Pixel 6? I'm personally really excited from what I've heard, especially the in-house chips that Google will now be using.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
My phones of choices are Sony but they don't sell them anymore here so I got an iPhone 11. The poll and the topic at hand have two different answers.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Samsung S10+ (Exynos 🤡) , one of the longest timespan I've used a phone without changing. Tempted on the next iPhone though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You sound like you know your smartphones.

What are your thoughts on the Pixel 6 rumours? Will you be getting the Pixel 6? I'm personally really excited from what I've heard, especially the in-house chips that Google will now be using.
I think it'll be much the same as the other pixels - basic software, good still photos with a distinctive pixel look (super contrasty, noisy in the shadows and with brightened up shadows, with a cool white balance).

I have a pixel 1 and 3 but switched from the 3 to an iPhone 11 pro after about 4 months cause it was just so boring and feature barren for an android phone. I've got xiaomi's, asus's, samsungs, Sony's, Nokia's, etc, and the Pixel just lacks features, especially here in Australia where we don't get the call screening or hold for you.

I wouldn't get too hyped up about their in house chip. It looks like it'll be about as powerful as a SD865, a near 2 year old chip, when it releases. It's basically off the shelf ARM cores and custom imaging and AI chips, like the neural core that some of the other pixels had.

I think it will be the best pixel yet, but I think apart from the still photos on the main lens it will still be soundly beaten by the competition. If the camera reviews well and example photos beat what I have now, I'll likely buy one if they actually release it here in Aus. Don't suspect ill use it long though, got my eye on the Fold 3.

Last edited:
A Galaxy S7. I just bought an S10 cheap to replace it with, and it looks like I'll have to soon. Planned obsolescence has been making my phone slow down terribly when I am watching YouTube and get a call at the same time.

I've always been at least 3-4 hardware revisions behind lol

IDKFA

I think it'll be much the same as the other pixels - basic software, good still photos with a distinctive pixel look (super contrasty, noisy in the shadows and with brightened up shadows, with a cool white balance).

I have a pixel 1 and 3 but switched from the 3 to an iPhone 11 pro after about 4 months cause it was just so boring and feature barren for an android phone. I've got xiaomi's, asus's, samsungs, Sony's, Nokia's, etc, and the Pixel just lacks features, especially here in Australia where we don't get the call screening or hold for you.

I wouldn't get too hyped up about their in house chip. It looks like it'll be about as powerful as a SD865, a near 2 year old chip, when it releases. It's basically off the shelf ARM cores and custom imaging and AI chips, like the neural core that some of the other pixels had.

I think it will be the best pixel yet, but I think apart from the still photos on the main lens it will still be soundly beaten by the competition. If the camera reviews well and example photos beat what I have now, I'll likely buy one if they actually release it here in Aus. Don't suspect ill use it long though, got my eye on the Fold 3.

Thanks for your input. I personally love the pure Android experience on the Pixel, but I'll wait and see before deciding on the 6XL.

If it turns out to be a disappointment, then I'll just go for the Xperia 1 iii, which appears to be very close to the stock Android experience, although it will be a while before it gets Android 12.

Brazen

Ordered the Xiaomi Poco F3 yesterday, mid-budget phone that competes with flagships under the hood. Cuts on the things I don't care about so hopefully I can say somewhere in the future it was worth the $400, the reviews for it seem to be fantastic.

Been using the Moto One phone over three years now which I've enjoyed more than the Google Nexus 6p it replaced. Which was also a great phone except for the battery, had to keep replacing it after a year's use. Used nexus phones up to the 6p for the budget, stock experience, and long support.

Last edited:

Fbh

Samsung Galaxy S8.
Aside from the battery degrading to it not always lasting the whole day, it still works fine and does everything I need from a phone. I'll probably have the battery replaced soon and it should last me a few more years.
Only thing that has always been a bit underwhelming is the camera.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Note10+5G, bought outright on release so its only costing me £7/mth for the sim, unlimited calls, text and 7gb data and its perfect in every way tbh, haven't felt the need to upgrade, its zippy af and the camera quality is superb so i'm hanging onto it until the folding phones get to a stage where im happy with the tech

lachesis

iPhone 7 plus.
Still in excellent shape. Installed a new OEM battery & while doing so, had my shattered screen replaced by Apple last year.

Intend to keep this until OS support is over. I use it less and less these days - all I really need is web browser, Youtube app, and camera to be honest... so I may just go with SE or whatnot next time.. except the screen size is indeed important for my old eyes. :(

iPhone 12.

Ditched my Samsung S8+ when I found out my $900 phone wouldn't even be getting a new Android OS update past ... Oreo? I think it was. What a damn joke.

Unless you buy OEM from Google... Android is just asking to have an out-of-date phone in 2 years.

Plus once I switched I found the Apple ecosystem far more appealing.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro. I see both as pretty good, had lots of android in the past. I more just got tired of being the odd man out. I caved to societal pressure 😩

I was the same but iMessage alone is worth it. I cringe when I see green text knowing it's unencrypted now.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I have a Samsung Galaxy 20 FE right now and like it a lot, but I actually loved LG phones. I had a lot of them over the years. Will miss their smartphone takes. I also like Xiao Mi a lot, when living in China those were my go to smartphones. Cheap and good. Can't get better than that (although now they're pretty expensive so I'd get a Redmi instead).

lem0n

Currently have an iPhone 12 Pro. I came from an iPhone 11 Pro Max, which was my first ever Apple product. The downgrade to a regular size iPhone from a Max is great. Before that though, I've only had Androids. So happy with the change over.

S21 Ultra. Beast mode phone. For years I stuck with the Nexus/Pixel line except for a few times (some Sony garbage and the GOAT HTC One M8). As Google kept raising the price of the pixel while still providing no damn good reason to be that expensive I jumped ship. Picked up an S10+ a few years ago and never looked back. The amount of features that seem so basic now, yet are completely missing from Pixel phones is ridiculous.

This barebones stuff made sense when Nexus phones were cheap, but when you start charging what they do now you better have the features to back it up.

Galaxy 21+ ultra

tenor.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OnePlus 8 Pro

Unlocked bootloader
Lineage OS
No Google services / No Play Store
All open source apps from FDroid repos

Pretty solid little device

MrFunSocks

Banned
Thanks for your input. I personally love the pure Android experience on the Pixel, but I'll wait and see before deciding on the 6XL.

If it turns out to be a disappointment, then I'll just go for the Xperia 1 iii, which appears to be very close to the stock Android experience, although it will be a while before it gets Android 12.
No worries. FYI pixels aren’t “pure android”, they run their own version that is “skinned” like everyone else.

Ordered the Xiaomi Poco F3 yesterday, mid-budget phone that competes with flagships under the hood. Cuts on the things I don't care about so hopefully I can say somewhere in the future it was worth the $400, the reviews for it seem to be fantastic.

Been using the Moto One phone over three years now which I've enjoyed more than the Google Nexus 6p it replaced. Which was also a great phone except for the battery, had to keep replacing it after a year's use. Used nexus phones up to the 6p for the budget, stock experience, and long support.

I have a Redmi Note 10S which is the same company as Poco. MIUI is something people either hate or really like. I personally like it a lot. There's quirks to their phones but the specs you get for how much you spend is amazing. You can't get a better deal in the phone space imo.

Last edited:
How are you dealing with the whole no android eco system issue? Do you side load apps instead?
That's the beauty of Android. This deal with Huawei will not impact Android running apps as their new HarmonyOS is meant to be able to run Android apps. Just need to side load them.

At least that's what I've read (Still need to try it). The only problem I can see if it's an app uses some kind of Google Services.

Even though I use Apple products, the only company that comes close to them is Huawei. Here in China, the amount of products, the quality.... it's so damn good. And they also have my favorite phone of all : Mate series.

Rival

Gold Member
I’ve been on iPhone since the 3g. Had that, then 4,5,6,7,and currently using an 11. I’ll never switch. It’s too familiar at this point.

Top Bottom