• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What temp do you set your AC to before you leave the house for work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asturie

Set at 73 pretty much at all times. My apt doesn't have a programmable thermostat so if I do remember to change it before leaving I'll set it to 76 or 77 but I live in Texas and it takes way to long to cool off my apt back to 73 if I set it higher.

maybe the average person would, I would toss and turn all night waking up in a sweat multiple times at 78 degrees. I have issues sleeping in general if it's above 60 and I don't have a fan blowing on me. 72 or so with a fan blowing on me seems to be around my upper limit before I can't get comfortable and can't stay asleep all night.

I just use a thin blanket (need something covering me as well to be comfortable which is part of the reason) but I radiate heat. I can go outside when it's 30 degrees and as long as there is no breeze could sit around in shorts and a t-shirt and read a book for hours without ever feeling cold. I shovel the snow at work in just a t-shirt and pants all of the time even in the middle of near blizzard conditions lol.

I go to bed at 11 and usually fall asleep by 11:30, so I have my AC set to go up to 75 at midnight and go to 72 when I wake up, back up to 75 when I'm at work, and then down to 68 when I get home until midnight.

I can't fall asleep with heat either, so I just have it go warmer after I know I'll be asleep, since I won't notice and apparently it helps.

zulux21

I go to bed at 11 and usually fall asleep by 11:30, so I have my AC set to go up to 75 at midnight and go to 72 when I wake up, back up to 75 when I'm at work, and then down to 68 when I get home until midnight.

I can't fall asleep with heat either, so I just have it go warmer after I know I'll be asleep, since I won't notice and apparently it helps.

I wish I had a regular sleep schedule, but I deal with random bouts of extreme insomnia (even if I am exhausted there are times I won't be able to sleep at all, it's not uncommon for me to be up 30-40 hours straight when this happens thus why I eventually got sleep aids, but even those don't always help me) as well as just troubles falling asleep in general.

ink4n3

Mine is on a timer that goes to 78 after everyone leaves the house. 72 when we are home. With ceiling fans I rarely feel the need to put it lower.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You're comparing not letting your food rot away with "boo hoo it's hot and i can't be arsed to wait 10 minutes"? Fuck off with that bullshit.

The person he quoted was against AC at all, not just having it on during the day.

pretty much. that person was complaining about us contributing to global warming in general. no shit the US contributes to global warming!

also my house does not take only 10 minutes to cool...

E92 M3

I was just hot and went downstairs to check the temp. Of course it's on 69. I actually can't sleep properly with anything above 68. I also have the ceiling fan going.

LOVE cold air.

I tend to leave it at 78 or so. Cold enough for the dog to not be uncomfortable, but not too cold it's wasteful. I have a stick fan running all the time anyways.

Weevilone

I was just hot and went downstairs to check the temp. Of course it's on 69. I actually can't sleep properly with anything above 68. I also have the ceiling fan going.

LOVE cold air.

If it's a split level with the thermostat on the main floor, it's prob more like 75 upstairs.

E92 M3

If it's a split level with the thermostat on the main floor, it's prob more like 75 upstairs.

I know it's not exactly 69 upstairs, but not 75 either. Insulation is generally good. I don't know the exact upstairs temperature, but 68 downstairs = comfortable upstairs. During the winter I like to keep it around the same and sometimes have the window opened.

People think I'm crazy.

E92 M3

Jesus christ do you sleep like with a sweater and a million sheets on?

I have a nice comforter/blanket. Love to get wrapped up nice and cozy with cold air blowing around me. I'm very comfortable in the cold and sleep like a baby. (That's for Winter)

Currently, I sleep without a shirt and a light blanket.

Weevilone

I know it's not exactly 69 upstairs, but not 75 either. Insulation is generally good. I don't know the exact upstairs temperature, but 68 downstairs = comfortable upstairs. During the winter I like to keep it around the same and sometimes have the window opened.

People think I'm crazy.

I added a roof line ridge vent all along the length of the house and improved the insulation. We still have a good 6 degree or so difference and it sucks. It's a double edged sword too b/c you keep the floor with the thermostat colder than you really want it so sleeping is possible, then you simply get used to the colder temp and sleeping still sucks.

I've actually been programing mine to be a bit warmer during the day (and I work from home), then dropping down a couple degrees after dinner for sleep purposes.

I have a nice comforter/blanket. Love to get wrapped up nice and cozy with cold air blowing around me. I'm very comfortable in the cold and sleep like a baby.

pic of e9
sPcELcX.gif

bionic77

Apparently you sleep better when you're a little bit warmer. Like 76-78 I've heard.
Can't speak for anyone else but warm weather is great for naps in the daytime but I love it cold when I go to sleep.

Hard to get up when it is cold but damn the sleep you get once you get in your blanket and sheets in a cold room is the best.

E92 M3

I added a roof line ridge vent all along the length of the house and improved the insulation. We still have a good 6 degree or so difference and it sucks. It's a double edged sword too b/c you keep the floor with the thermostat colder than you really want it so sleeping is possible, then you simply get used to the colder temp and sleeping still sucks.

I've actually been programing mine to be a bit warmer during the day (and I work from home), then dropping down a couple degrees after dinner for sleep purposes.

Yeah, at this point I just deal with the compromise. Plus, it's nice to have the basement freezing :p

pic of e9
sPcELcX.gif

Pretty much and I'd live in Alaska for a couple of months if I could!

Jams775

I set mine to 84 during the day. 80 in the evening and 78 after dark (so the AC doesn't have to work hard and only runs once because uttl stay cool).

84 is a good number for my house as it dosent usually want to climb past 84.5. It runs a lot more if we hit triple digits though.

People running their AC at 74 or below all the time are crazy. Edit: I had to get used to 84 though as I like the cold. My body has adjusted though so it worked out.

I sometimes wonder if my turning rhe AC up during the day and down when I get home would use more power rhan just letting it maintain. For the record, my house has great insulation and the AC seems weak. With the AC off, my house only goes from 70 to 73 with no AC when it is in the high 90s outside (at least if I leave my server turned off). I'm less concerned about contributing to global warming due to my power being nuclear.

Miletius

I haven't needed to turn on the AC or Heat since I've moved to San Mateo. It's pretty much always mid to high 60's to 70's here.

Shadybiz

77 all day every day. The upstairs is a bitch to cool down, even with the attic fans, so I don't like it getting much higher than that.

i leave it off when im not home

60 degrees when I'm home. preferably all year but i have roommates so

i'll also sleep with the window open and the fan on during the winter

Darren870

I now know why everyone on GAF is broke as fuck and why the environment has gone to shit.

I don't even have AC and I live in Australia. Never had it in the US or UK either.

I can't believe people leave it on when there not at home. I can understand with animals, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom