• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first videogame system?

SNES here.

I had the Vic 20 & C64 before this, so I never got the first Nintendo or Atari 2600 (or Intellivision, Colecovision...etc). Had to settle for playing them at friends houses... ;)

XS+

Banned
5200, but that was my brother's console. A Genesis was given to me as a birthday present, so that would technically be 'my' first.

Tritroid

The God of Gaming:

nes.jpg

Prospero

TRS-80 Color Computer 2. Cartridges were okay, but nothing beat spending three days transcribing the code for a game by hand from a gaming magazine, using checksums to verify each line, and then recording the whole thing to cassette.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Rented an Intellivision (dunno which version, but the one that played Ladybug/Smurfs) and purchased an Odyssey² with KC Munchkin (pacman clone) and 8 other games.

I bought SNES in ~1994. Before that I didnt care about consoles, I did my gaming on home computers like Amiga and C64. My first computer was Spectravideo 318.

The first one I personally owned? I guess the NES, but we had a 2600 and, of course, the good ol' Atari XE with drawers full of pirated games. I think we had pretty much everything available on the system.

Wow I guess I am the only gamer here whose first system was the almighty Sega Master System I still remember playin R-type on that thing. At the time that game had AWESOME GRAPHICS!!! I was totally a Sega guy until Saturn. That threw me off the boat.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Some Coleco model. I don't remember exactly which one it was, because I always just called it "The Coleco", and so did my parents. I remember playing a horribly buggy version of The Smurfs on it.

After that was the NES.

SyNapSe

Some Atari system. It played Pong, etc. The first I remember vividly is the NES... I played the shit out of that.. I even had most of the peripherals. The gun (which sucked).. although I loved Gumshoe, and the stupid Robot.. I can't even remember his name.. Rob or something.

Game Boy. I had to save up for it with a vacuuming job I had (which also paid for several games), since my parents wouldn't buy me any game systems. Before that I played games on a PCjr and later an XT.

Kon Tiki

Banned
jiji said:
Game Boy. I had to save up for it with a vacuuming job I had (which also paid for several games), since my parents wouldn't buy me any game systems. Before that I played games on a PCjr and later an XT.

Is that slang for.......? Nvm.

White Man said:
Heh, Apple IIc.

I had an Apple II.. but not sure what "model". Mine had the awesome green and black graphical display! Had some great games like Conan, Lady Tut, and Load Runner.

My first console was the SNES but I was keen to get a console much earlier but my parents wouldn't let me get one. I remember wanting a Sega Master system with BUILT-IN Alex Kidd! OMFG you turn on the console with no game and a game loads! PHWOOAH!!

sasimirobot

5200.jpg

I remember I tried to open the controller to see how it worked and broke it.

Also my dad was the first person to point out to me that in car racing games the car doesnt move, only the scenery.

I was mind boggled...

Actually, I take it back. I forgot that I used to have the MB Microvision. A handheld! Wish I still had it, but it got left in the back window of my parents car on a family vacation and melted. I had Block Buster, Star Trek Phaser Strike, Cosmic Hunter, and a few more games that I can't remember for it.

micro.jpg

suikodan

Hooker said:
Pong immitation machine with Squash, Football, Pong and another game

Sorta the same for me, except we had Pong and a shooting game where you shoot a...

moving cube

After that came a Coleco and then a NES

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
ZX Spectrum was the first I owned personally.

Although the family had a Binatone Pong machine & an Atari 2600 before that.

Swapping cassettes in the playground, man that brings back memories...

Freeburn.

GigaDrive

Banned
7800_84_box.jpg

Atari 7800. bought in early 1988.

I got into videogames kinda late. I did not play my first videogame until I was maybe about 7 years old. I started getting into videogames when I was maybe 9 or 10. and didn't get my own system until age 11.

GDGF

Soothsayer
2600, but that one belonged to both me and my cousin. My first personal console was a Colecovision.

beerbelly

Banned
The intellivision with MLB Baseball and an Asteroid-like game when I was 4. From a garage sale so didn't have an instruction manual and plus the fact that the controller was like a phone interface, we didn't know how to use it until I was 6.

Chony

Before my commodore (sp) 64, I had some ancient computer that only displayed green and black, this was before dos. My dad did programming back in high school, so he programmed me and my brothers and sisters text adventure games, with graphics too! I would play my own games by moving the cursor around the screen. The rest is history.

Top Bottom