• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first videogame system?

EdLuva

heavy liquid said:
Actually, I take it back. I forgot that I used to have the MB Microvision. A handheld! Wish I still had it, but it got left in the back window of my parents car on a family vacation and melted. I had Block Buster, Star Trek Phaser Strike, Cosmic Hunter, and a few more games that I can't remember for it.

micro.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA!! I had one of these. Man, I forgot. haha. I remember to change games you push in the sides and remove the the whole cover that had the 'chip' at the end. Good times.

Kuramu

Atari 2600 for christmas around '81-'82, with Frogger, Submarine Commander, Target Fun, and something not worth remembering i guess. My roommate and i were playing Target Fun just 2 days ago. good 2 player game.

Seth C

Atari VCS/2600. Belonged to my dad before I was born. He gave it to me when I was around 3. The first system purchased directly for me was the NES. Second was the Master System. The first I purchased with my own money was the Genesis.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
First system I owned - Atari 2600

First system I purchased with own money - Nintendo Gameboy

MmmBeef

Atari 2600. Well, the Sears branded one anyway. Damn, I'm really starting to feel my age. Remember George Plimpton's Intellivision ads pimping their sports titles vs Atari's stunningly bad ones? Electric football looked and played better than Atari's pre-RealSports titles.

User 406

Banned
My first console was the Intellivision. Ah, Astrosmash, Sea Battle, Night Stalker, Treasure of Tarmin, Tron Deadly Discs, B-17 Bomber, Bump N' Jump, Baseball, Football, Auto Racing, Dreadnaught Factor, Beamrider, Atlantis, Ladybug, Tennis, Space Spartans, that console was the shit.

Later we got an Apple II+. I can't believe someone else here remembers Conan! Man, I wrote soooooo many games for that thing in basic and assembler, it was crazy. Those were the days. :)

swoon

nes then for a brief period apple II gs, then a genesis.

i still think winter games is best on the apple II gs

ourumov

Game Boy...But I played and replayed for hours the old Game & Watchs...
I totally skipped the NES and jumped to the SNES. Never liked how the NES games looked.

I had an Atari 2600 and Spectrum. I'm not sure which I got first. I broke the Atari by trying to force a Frogger cartridge from some unknown system into the slot though :( - I loved the speccy. Soccer Boss, Ninja Rabbits, Chuckie Egg, Jet Set Willy, Finders Keepers, Dizzy, Skool Daze, Mikie. Good times. Had a C64 as well.

Not a system, but I used to have the Scramble videogame by Tomy. That thing rocked.

Scramble.jpg

Red Dolphin said:
I had an Apple II.. but not sure what "model". Mine had the awesome green and black graphical display! Had some great games like Conan, Lady Tut, and Load Runner.

Ha, I remember those games. Lode Runner is great. One of my friends had and Apple, and I'd go over to his house and play tons of Zork and Miner 49er.

A Pong console.

heavy liquid said:
Actually, I take it back. I forgot that I used to have the MB Microvision. A handheld! Wish I still had it, but it got left in the back window of my parents car on a family vacation and melted. I had Block Buster, Star Trek Phaser Strike, Cosmic Hunter, and a few more games that I can't remember for it.

micro.jpg

Heh. I had one of those too. I remember in some thread that someone claimed that the Gameboy was the first portable with interchangeable cartridges. I wanted to reply that they were full of shit, and that Milton Bradly had beat them out but I couldn't remember the damn name of the stupid thing and the MB website doesn't mention it at all. :(

Deku Tree

Atari 2600 (I think that's the right #) with asteroids > launch NES > Sega Master System

All are no longer owned by me unfortunately.

The Shadow said:
Heh. I had one of those too. I remember in some thread that someone claimed that the Gameboy was the first portable with interchangeable cartridges. I wanted to reply that they were full of shit, and that Milton Bradly had beat them out but I couldn't remember the damn name of the stupid thing and the MB website doesn't mention it at all. :(

Yeah, I used to love that thing. Took me a while to figure out what it was called. I could only remember what it looked like, too. The games were the whole front of the system including the keypad, and would snap on and off to exchange games. I think there may have been some other portables around that time, but I'm not sure. Definitely before Nintendo.

Mvc-004e.jpg

Mvc-006e.jpg

User 406

Banned
heavy liquid said:
Not a system, but I used to have the Scramble videogame by Tomy. That thing rocked.

Scramble.jpg

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I HAD ONE OF THOSE! I played it for countless hours. Thank you so much for the pic. ;;;___;;;

DeEJaYMiND said:
parachup.jpg

The funny part is that I only realize this was a "Nintendo" console many many years later.

I also had that game before I had any "real" system. I had forgotten what kind of game it was, but now it all came back to me :)

Sea Manky said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT I HAD ONE OF THOSE! I played it for countless hours. Thank you so much for the pic. ;;;___;;;

Hey, no problem. ;)

I wish I still had mine. I must have begged my parents for a month before I finally got it for Christmas...

robot

NES.JPG

+

Athena.nes.jpg

Why Athena was the first game I bought, I'll never know. I do remember wanting it really bad tho. Luckily my next game was Break-thru, which kicked all kinds of crazy armored tank-car ass.

CoryCubed

Sega Genesis with Sonic 2. Sonic 2 special stage was my first actual game I ever touched. and I got my nes shortly after

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
SNES, got it the same year Super Mario World came out.

Mason

The Atari 2600 was the first console my family had. We also had a HUGE box of games for it; I wish we hadn't given it to my aunt who pawned it all the next day for $5.

The first console I bought was the SNES. I had saved up all summer for a Genesis but when I got to the store, the guy working there convinced me to buy a SNES since it was $10 cheaper, had a game with it, and Nintendo games "weren't as buggy" as Sega games.

Sledn

Some weird Pong machine when I was like 5. You could switch between like 4 different modes and whatnot. Don't remember too much because it was so long ago.

The first system that I really got into though was the NES.

Good system, I still have it hooked up even :)

Top Bottom