• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Ben Affleck stops being Batman - How would you like to see it being handled?

So, where there is smoke, there is fire. There has been a lot of smoke for months now. Warner Bros. will probably wait out Justice League before they announce anything official, but as of now, I am pretty sure that JL will be Ben Affleck's last time as Batman.

To me, there are a couple of viable options on this matter.

1. Recast Ben Affleck, straight up. Just like Marvel did with Hulk.
2. He dies/retires in Justice League, one of his desciples becomed Batman, he is completely out of the picture.
3. He gets wounded severly, which could lead to a Batman Beyond esque approach. Ben Affleck would still be in the DCEU as advisor and mentor.
4. Matt Reeves casts a younger Batman and makes a movie that is set in the 90s.

Personally, I can't really say which approach I like to see most, especially since this universe hasn't set up anything really regarding the Batfamily.

What would you like to see, do you have other options, which you think are better or/and more elegant?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ben's Batman was actually Azrael all along while the real Bats was out of action for some reason revealed to us after the fact.

5taquitos

They'll just choose a new actor and move on with life, just like they have done 6 times in the last few decades.

In my head I imagine a scene at the end of Flashpoint.

Barry runs to the batcave and see's Bruce in a chair staring at the big computer he has.

Barry will say hi and Bruce will turn around and it's whoever has been cast as the new Batman.

Barry makes a remark about how Bruce looks different, younger and all that.

Bruce will have a sort of deadpan, sarcastic response.

Audience laughs, end credits.

SpaceWolf

Banned
A brand new version of Batman in a completely separate continuity, preferably one that won't involve him mutilating criminals and blowing them up in a jet-plane.

Seesaw15

I'll wait till justice league comes out before I give my answer. If he's gives a great performance I'd want the movie to acknowledge him and pass the torch in universe. If he doesn't you can just Val Kilmer/George Clooney him with no fanfare.

1. Recast Ben Affleck, straight up. Just like Marvel did with Hulk.
And like how Warner has done with the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman for decades. Affleck will just be another one-off like Kilmer and Clooney, no need to address it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Flashpoint will reset/alter the timeline so Batman is younger and played by another actor, most likely. Either that or they'll just put a new actor in there and never say anything, Bewitched Darren style. Or, y'know, Schumacher Batman style. It's been done before.

theWB27

Just move on. Don't even care if they address it in movie. I know what happened in real life and can move on. I really like Andrew as Spidey and was bummed when he was recast. Tom Holland was amazing.

Moppeh

Banned
There's no clean way to do it and since I still haven't seen BvS, I don't really care that much.

Ideally, they should just have Flashpoint come quicker and fix this whole mess of a universe but whatever.

J_Viper

Recast without acknowledging it

Whether it's a younger actor for Reeves "prequel" trilogy or another actor in his 40s for a JL sequel

And Ben is out. He's already lining up his next directorial project

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
And like how Warner has done with the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman for decades. Affleck will just be another one-off like Kilmer and Clooney, no need to address it.

A one-off?

Affleck will have been Batman in 3 movies already, 4 if his solo film goes ahead:

B v. S
Justice League
Suicide Squad

He's the definitive (best) on screen Batman we've had.

jett

D-Member
dz6fchLWZR-12.png

WaterAstro

Christian Bale Batman uses an alternate dimensional portal and kills Batfleck and replaces him. The movie is still bad because Christian Bale Batman isn't that good anyway.

Parch

At the beginning of the next movie there needs to be an on screen apology.

"We're real sorry about Ben Affleck and Batman vs Superman. You have our deepest apologies and a promise that we'll try to do better."

What I'd like to see: kill him off. Properly. I want Matt Reeves' The Batman to be his glorious last stand and a redemption story. Then, it'll be time for Dick, Tim, Cass and Barbara (as Oracle) to shine. You can even bring in Damian after a while. And you can also make movies taking place in the past covering Batman's younger days. Best of both worlds.

What I think is gonna happen: Affleck is out after Justice League. We'll get Thomas Wayne Batman in Flashpoint. And once that's done, he'll be recast, slightly younger, and that won't be explained aside from "huh, speedforce!" The Lone Ranger guy is probably already prepping for the part.

And I don't mind to be honest. I prefer the first option of course but the second one could totally work as well. I really look forward to Flashpoint.

A one-off?

Affleck will have been Batman in 3 movies already, 4 if his solo film goes ahead:

B v. S
Justice League
Suicide Squad

He's the definitive (best) on screen Batman we've had.
LOL what??? He's definitely not the best and is in no way definitive. Wtf?

Best is Keaton or Bale, and definitive is Adam West or one of the former.

I wanted him to die and there be a fight for the cowl culminating in Dick Bats.

But I wanted that after like 2 movies of solo Bruce and Nightwing.

It's especially weird with Jason Todd existing in this universe. You would want Batman to actually have to face the Red Hood.

If they do recast they're obviously going younger which may make Nightwing hard to do since I think they should be at the least a decade between Bruce and Dick.

Top Bottom