• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Ben Affleck stops being Batman - How would you like to see it being handled?

Veelk

Banned
And I'd disagree with gains being optional. It's 2017, dudes like Hemsworth, Jackman, and Evans set the standard for super hero actors. Hell, look how huge Josh Brolin is for Deadpool.

If you want to look at marvel, I feel like you're in a losing argument there. Sure, you have Thor and Cap... But then you have Tony, Hawkeye, Vision, Spiderman, Antman, War Machine, Doctor Strange, etc all being fit but having normal builds. Hell, even Jackson wasn't as built as he is today when he remade Wolverine in his image. He gained that body because he wanted it, but he was Wolverine before he had it.

It seems to me that huge hulking dudes are the highly visible exception rather than the norm.

J_Viper

If you want to look at marvel, I feel like you're in a losing argument there. Sure, you have Thor and Cap... But then you have Tony, Hawkeye, Vision, Spiderman, Antman, War Machine, Doctor Strange, etc all being fit but having normal builds. Hell, even Jackson wasn't as built as he is today when he remade Wolverine in his image. He gained that body because he wanted it, but he was Wolverine before he had it.

It seems to me that huge hulking dudes are the highly visible exception rather than the norm.

I'd say those other Marvel characters you listed don't have to be physically intimidating though. Ant man being swole isn't what the character is really known for

Batman though

3656635-4107131159-Batma.jpg

And the thing too about Jacked Man is that he was cast as Logan at the last second. He actually didn't have time to build the physique he would've liked to have, which is why he gradually gotten in better shape in each following film.

Falchion

I want Batfleck to still be involved so having him in some kind of support role while someone else takes over would be good.

I want Affleck to film half of the movie. Start not showing up to the set and forces WB to just film without him. Halfway through the movie some other guy is randomly Batman.

HeySeuss

Hopefully they just recast and never speak of it again. He's the worst Batman ever. Well maybe Val Kilmer is worse, but it's close

With these latest rumors popping up again the last couple of days I am pretty well 99% convinced he is done. There is just too much smoke. The last 1% is that he does one more appearance to cycle himself out in-universe. But, there is no way he's in The Batman.

Stop using Bruce Wayne as batman and move on to Terry McGinnis. It's really quite simple.

It's time for Batman Beyond to get it's time in the Live Action spotlight. Just the idea of a Neo Noir style batman film could invigorate a lot of life into the franchise.

DeathyBoy

Banned
JL ends with Batman shot in the face. He goes to a back street doctor because he needs a quick fix. But the surgery goes wrong...

KYjW78.gif

If they must recast I would rather they not mention any reason behind it and just straight up have Jon Hamm pick up the pieces

Otherwise go younger (either via dick grayson or change the age or universe or standalone or whatever) and give it to Armie Hammer

These are literally the only two options I could be happy with. Anyone else and it would be a tough pill to swallow until I saw the film.

I kind of like option 2, transitioning into option 1.

Go with Dickbat after Justice League, give some time and distance with Batfleck, then bring back Bruce recast.

Give me Clint Eastwood as Bruce and let's start a Batman Beyond trilogy.

Just like it was for people suggesting him for Old Man Logan, it's probably about 20 years too late for that now. Clint Eastwood is nearly 90 years old.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If they must recast I would rather they not mention any reason behind it and just straight up have Jon Hamm pick up the pieces

Otherwise go younger (either via dick grayson or change the age or universe or standalone or whatever) and give it to Armie Hammer

These are literally the only two options I could be happy with. Anyone else and it would be a tough pill to swallow until I saw the film.

Hamm is not going to play Batman. Maybe ten years ago. Maybe. But you've seen what it's done to Affleck, and Hamm's already done that (tied to one project for a near decade) thing.

I agree but the whole time I saw BvS and the press leading up to it (sadly it rang true for afflecks personal life too) all I saw was Don Draper. A buffer and meaner version sure but at its essence the latest Bruce echoed that classic flawed retro masculinity that Hamm owned for years in Mad Men

Aegus

Having to explain recasting's in story is the dumbest thing that's started to happen. People understood James Bond recasting back in the 60/70/80s so why does it need to have a story reason now?

This quote from Grant Morrison fits perfectly.

“Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Just change the stuff about Superman/Batman to 'how can Bruce Wayne look different film to film in the same continuity'. I mean do people ask why Bruce looks different issue to issue in the comic?

Rorschach

Just re-cast. Who gives a shit? Why don't they do this anymore? They always have to kill off a character when an actor leaves. Just recast and be done with it.
Ben's Batman was actually Azrael all along while the real Bats was out of action for some reason revealed to us after the fact.

The Ben Riley.

Veelk

Banned
I'd say those other Marvel characters you listed don't have to be physically intimidating though. Ant man being swole isn't what the character is really known for

Noperino.

In actuality, almost every superhero ever has the "heroic build". It's ubiquitous whether your hero is a fighter, doctor, or janitor. If you're a hero, then you got a body builder bod. Batman isn't 'known' for being swole any more than the idea that superheroes in general are swole. Batman is known for being intimidating more than other heroes, but you don't need muscles for that.

And the thing too about Jacked Man is that he was cast as Logan at the last second. He actually didn't have time to build the physique he would've liked to have, which is why he gradually gotten in better shape in each following film.

I don't see how that detracts from the argument at all. It still proves that a good actor can capture the role of a hero without having huge gains, even one with as much a physical emphasis as Wolverine. It's cool that he got swole for the part, but people would have celebrated even if he didn't.

As someone who watches a batman movie every 5 years and basically never loves or hates it.

Whichever way that causes the biggest funniest internet hissy fit.

Make Ben Affleck turn into another character, or make him turn into literal god. Something hilarious.

firelogic

They should just recast the role. No explanations as to why he looks different, no timeline tomfoolery, just recast and continue on. Audiences aren't so stupid as to be confused or taken out of the movie because a different actor is Bruce Wayne.

My top 3 candidates:
-Armie Hammer
-Lee Pace
-Jon Hamm

And since WB/DC appears to be scrapping the need to have everything connected/contiguous, age shouldn't factor. Hell, all 3 could be Batman in different movies.

They're all great actors, look cool, and have large builds. Not that they're jacked, just that they strike an imposing figure, especially if they add more muscle.

btags

And like how Warner has done with the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman for decades. Affleck will just be another one-off like Kilmer and Clooney, no need to address it.

The only difference here being that now batman is supposed to be part of a larger cinematic universe (I hate that phrase), unlike before when the movies were sort of one offs. I think they could just easily replace him with a new actor, but it is a weirder circumstance because all of the other characters could end up being the same.

Let Feige plan it out and it'll be fine.

I don't understand half the decisions made for the DCEU.

Noperino.

In actuality, almost every superhero ever has the "heroic build". It's ubiquitous whether your hero is a fighter, doctor, or janitor. If you're a hero, then you got a body builder bod. Batman isn't 'known' for being swole any more than the idea that superheroes in general are swole. Batman is known for being intimidating more than other heroes, but you don't need muscles for that.

Most superheroes are swole, sure. But it's not necessarily inherent to their characters. It is for Bruce. Especially because he's just a guy. A rich, genius guy, but a guy.

Batman is supposed to be physically imposing, on top of all the psychological shit he pulls.

The only difference here being that now batman is supposed to be part of a larger cinematic universe (I hate that phrase), unlike before when the movies were sort of one offs. I think they could just easily replace him with a new actor, but it is a weirder circumstance because all of the other characters could end up being the same.
Isn't the company line now that there's going to be less emphasis on shared cinematic universe after Justice League?

Effect

Flashpoint-> recast(Flash makes a comment about Bruce getting a haircut or something)

I don't think you even need to acknowledge it or have some movie setup that does it. Just simply recast and move on. Any flashbacks that happen will have to re-filmed of course but that shouldn't be a big issue. We've had enough people playing Batman that people will easily deal with it.

How bout we retire the character along with Superman?

That ain't happening. Especially since Warner Bros got Matt Reeves to direct the Batman solo film.

It'll be a recast. The only question is if they'll play it straight and not make any in-universe commentary about the change or if they'll try something like explaining away the new person in the role as a result of something like Flashpoint.

I still really love the idea of Oscar Isaac as Batman, but I'm warming up to the idea of it being Armie Hammer too now, I guess.

I don't think you even need to acknowledge it or have some movie setup that does it. Just simply recast and move on. Any flashbacks that happen will have to re-filmed of course but that shouldn't be a big issue. We've had enough people playing Batman that people will easily deal with it.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning they have to explain it. Just a potential silly joke.

Dehnus

So, where there is smoke, there is fire. There has been a lot of smoke for months now. Warner Bros. will probably wait out Justice League before they announce anything official, but as of now, I am pretty sure that JL will be Ben Affleck's last time as Batman.

To me, there are a couple of viable options on this matter.

1. Recast Ben Affleck, straight up. Just like Marvel did with Hulk.
2. He dies/retires in Justice League, one of his desciples becomed Batman, he is completely out of the picture.
3. He gets wounded severly, which could lead to a Batman Beyond esque approach. Ben Affleck would still be in the DCEU as advisor and mentor.
4. Matt Reeves casts a younger Batman and makes a movie that is set in the 90s.

Personally, I can't really say which approach I like to see most, especially since this universe hasn't set up anything really regarding the Batfamily.

What would you like to see, do you have other options, which you think are better or/and more elegant?

CAMPY! In honour of the departed Adam West!
*Salutes*

True Flashpoint adaption followed by a recasting. That way audiences get used to a different Batman with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, you give Batfleck his swansong with him reading the letter, which I feel is especially poignant with how that character has been written, then you bring in a younger actor with no explanation.

Joni

Bribe Matthias Schoenaerts, replace Batman and many others with a universe reboot. Keep Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad.

J_Viper

They should just recast the role. No explanations as to why he looks different, no timeline tomfoolery, just recast and continue on. Audiences aren't so stupid as to be confused or taken out of the movie because a different actor is Bruce Wayne.

My top 3 candidates:
-Armie Hammer
-Lee Pace
-Jon Hamm

And since WB/DC appears to be scrapping the need to have everything connected/contiguous, age shouldn't factor. Hell, all 3 could be Batman in different movies.

They're all great actors, look cool, and have large builds. Not that they're jacked, just that they strike an imposing figure, especially if they add more muscle.

Armie, yes
Lee Pace is pretty good casting too. He can do that deep sexy mocha voice like Affleck
Hamm on paper is perfect casting, but he, like Affleck, doesn't like working out

Flashpoint-> recast(Flash makes a comment about Bruce getting a haircut or something)
If Bruce got a "just fuck my shit up" haircut sure

Seijuro

Either

1. Use a story device like flashpoint to explain it with some witty Barry commentary

2. Just change the actor and have another character give some one liner that Bats looks younger/slimmer/taller/whatever now and let the audience laugh it off

or

3. recast and don't aknowledge it at all, as it has been in old Batman movies (like Bond movies). People watching the movie will know beforehand that Batman has been recast anyway. I guess most people wouldn't even expect an explanation.

One of these will probably happen, if Flash movie centers on Flashpoint and WB is willing there would be nothing wrong with 1.; My money is on 2. or 3. though.

Alienfan

I think Batman will excel like Wonder Woman did once it's out of the grubby hands of Zack. Ben's not the issue with those films. But I wouldn't blame him if he quit

Top Bottom