• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Ben Affleck stops being Batman - How would you like to see it being handled?

But he's got the grizzly voice and huge muscles and his costume looks like it's from comics!

What more could you possibly want from any batman???
Seriously I cannot fathom how someone could think that. It's like flat earther levels of detached from reality.

BvS Batman was legit worse than Batnipples Clooney. Kilmer was better, even.

The ability to fight...which he's been the very best by a mile.
EHHHHhhhhh that's all Bale IMO. The Krav Maga/Urban CQC was perfect.

Make all the current films in the universe a dream.
Except Wonder Woman.

Thank godddddd that film was a prequel.

A one-off?

Affleck will have been Batman in 3 movies already, 4 if his solo film goes ahead:

B v. S
Justice League
Suicide Squad

He's the definitive (best) on screen Batman we've had.

100 % agree, say what you want about the movies but he's perfect in this role. Really hoping he's in the Reeves film at least, after that then whatever..Flashpoint will likely result in a new actor and I'm fine with that. But I don't see what the big rush is.

theWB27

Seriously I cannot fathom how someone could think that. It's like flat earther levels of detached from reality.

EHHHHhhhhh that's all Bale IMO. The Krav Maga/Urban CQC was perfect.

Except Wonder Woman.

No...Bale was shit as a fighter that supposed to be Batman. But...this isn't the thread to talk about that.

100 % agree, say what you want about the movies but he's perfect in this role. Really hoping he's in the Reeves film at least, after that then whatever..Flashpoint will likely result in a new actor and I'm fine with that. But I don't see what the big rush is.

The one semi-credible rumor is that the studio has reservations about Affleck leading a franchise based on his personal struggles. For his part, Affleck is willing to continue playing the character. It's down to if he can get his act together to where WB doesn't see him as a risk to bank on.

J_Viper

The one semi-credible rumor is that the studio has reservations about Affleck leading a franchise based on his personal struggles. For his part, Affleck is willing to continue playing the character. It's down to if he can get his act together to where WB doesn't see him as a risk to bank on.

Damn

And to think Affleck was their golden boy only a few years ago

Poona

So, where there is smoke, there is fire. There has been a lot of smoke for months now. Warner Bros. will probably wait out Justice League before they announce anything official, but as of now, I am pretty sure that JL will be Ben Affleck's last time as Batman.

To me, there are a couple of viable options on this matter.

1. Recast Ben Affleck, straight up. Just like Marvel did with Hulk.
2. He dies/retires in Justice League, one of his desciples becomed Batman, he is completely out of the picture.
3. He gets wounded severly, which could lead to a Batman Beyond esque approach. Ben Affleck would still be in the DCEU as advisor and mentor.
4. Matt Reeves casts a younger Batman and makes a movie that is set in the 90s.

Personally, I can't really say which approach I like to see most, especially since this universe hasn't set up anything really regarding the Batfamily.

What would you like to see, do you have other options, which you think are better or/and more elegant?

No recast. Move that right out of the way. Every time I see Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle in the Marvel films, I just think of how they damaged their movies. Especially with Don Cheadle. Really don't want DC/WB to damage their movies in the same way.

I don't want to see Batman/Bruce Wayne in these movies standing next to Gal Gadot or Henry Cavill and we have to play pretend that the person there is the same one who we first saw in BvS.

So you know the 2nd or third options. Batman becomes too much for Bruce Wayne or he dies and so someone else possibly from the Batfamily steps up to wear the cowl other than Bruce Wayne.

Except Wonder Woman.

Not all of it. It had modern day scenes with things that Bruce Wayne had sent her after they met in BvS.

Veelk

Banned

Well....okay, before I get too deep into this rabbit hole, one thing should be established.

There is no such thing as a definitive version of a major comic book character. There is your personal favorite interpretation, but comic book characters, by nature, are constantly changing as time goes on.

So when someone says that their Batman is Batfleck....sure, I guess, if you want.

Still, I can't help but question that. Because the Batman of BvS was a hypocritical, myopic, two bit thug who just wants to murder a guy for existing without his permission. His motivations established early in the movie about superman being a danger were revealed to be a lie and he was out to murder superman out of his personal insecurity. I think a lot of ire for the character comes from how pathetic and small he is internally, and even fans of BvS admit that the point of his "character arc" is him realizing how much of a complete sack of shit he was at the end.

Maybe they just mean superficial shit like the look of Batfleck, both the actor and the costume or his CGI fight was better than Nolan's crappy choreography. Hell, I certainly think Ben Afleck could have done great things with a good script and director. Or, hey, maybe they genuinely like seeing Batman as a dumb thug, ironically or otherwise.

Idk. Like I said, there is no definitive Batman and it's all open to subjective preference. Still, having that preference is has to atleast prompt a "but why tho"

theWB27

No recast. Move that right out of the way. Every time I see Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle in the Marvel films, I just think of how they damaged their movies. Especially with Don Cheadle. Really don't want DC/WB to damage their movies in the same way.

I don't want to see Batman/Bruce Wayne in these movies standing next to Gal Gadot or Henry Cavill and we have to play pretend that the person there is the same one who we first saw in BvS.

So you know the 2nd or third options. Batman becomes too much for Bruce Wayne or he dies and so someone else possibly from the Batfamily steps up to wear the cowl other than Bruce Wayne.

Not all of it. It had modern day scenes with things that Bruce Wayne had sent her after they met in BvS.

Two actors (Norton and Howard) who played a role one time have left a more lasting impression than the two (Cheadle and Ruffalo) who've done it more and also as the universe has blossomed?

Busty

Banned
Just a hard recasting, the exact same way Marvel swapped in Don Cheadle into Iron Man 2.

Boom.
This is the new Batman/Bruce Wayne.
On with the film.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just recast. We've had like 5 other guys be Batman in less than 30 years. Doing some weird time hop to the 90s would be taking the same route as the X-Men franchise, which is a no-no. And I have zero interest in watching a disciple that hasn't even been established take the mantle.

DCEU is just giving me headaches with all the explanations, origins, reboot, timelines and background.

Stop tying yourselves in knots over cinematic universes... just cast a competent actor and make a damn Batman movie that stands on its own merits.

Those of you suggesting Dickbats, how would they possibly do that? Dick hasn't even been established to exist yet in the DCEU, and general audiences aren't super familiar with the character beyond knowing Robin as Batman's sidekick. It wouldn't work.

Just recast him.

B.K.

They have already announced a Flashpoint movie, haven't they? Just use it to make any cast changes or retcons they want to do at that point.

Farsi

I like the batman beyond approach. Introduce a new younger Batman while it leaves open a spot for mentor Bruce Wayne in case Affleck doesn't wanna do it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I like the batman beyond approach. Introduce a new younger Batman while it leaves open a spot for mentor Bruce Wayne in case Affleck doesn't wanna do it.

This would be smart. I really wish it would happen. I don't think it will.

cackhyena

dz6fchLWZR-12.png

Tell me more.

Aselith

Warner Bros already knows how to reboot characters. He's gonna be turned into a sexy lady in a slinky black dress. Easy.

They should just recast the role and not acknowledge it and thereby normalise the process of recasting roles in on going continuity without making a big deal of it or using gimmicks.

In fact, they could set this change up with flashbacks using a different actor or two to represent Batman in various stages of his life.

That all being said, I don't really care anymore. The DCEU is so far off the rails, I kind of just want to witness the crash and burn for the hell of it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
"1. Recast Ben Affleck, straight up. Just like Marvel did with Hulk."

That way, I don't want anyone but Bruce Wayne to be the Batman and I don't want some flashpoint Bruce Wayne to be the new one. Just re-cast him and move along.

He was Batman? All I saw was Ben Affleck in a costume speaking with a gravely voice arguing with Henry Cavil imitating Nicolas Cage dressing up as Superman for Halloween.

And while we're on the subject, what's this 'Rises' everyone keeps talking about? They stopped making live action Batman after The Dark Knight...right?

>5'7"

Issac is the man but nahhhhh

Joe Mango is the only actor in his 40s that could fill the suit like Affleck. I can't think of anyone else

And Michael Keaton was 5'9''. Your point?

Cameras can do plenty to make Isaac look bigger and more intimidating if needed. What matters is that his acting chops are off the wall and he'd absolutely be able to nail the role. Regardless of his height.

J_Viper

And Michael Keaton was 5'9''. Your point?

Cameras can do plenty to make Isaac look bigger and more intimidating if needed.

The point is Affleck set the physical standard. You can't go from him to someone smaller, unless they go the prequel route, of course. As someone who's also 5'7", a Bruce Wayne below 6' would look silly.

Much respect to Keaton, but the last words I'd use to describe his Batman are physically intimidating.

Funny enough, I think Cavill would be an interesting Batman

Maybe...Kitsch?
maxresdefault.jpg

The point is Affleck set the physical standard. You can't go from him to someone smaller, unless they go the prequel route, of course. As someone who's also 5'7", a Bruce Wayne below 6' would look silly.

Much respect to Keaton, but the last words I'd use to describe his Batman are physically intimidating.

I disagree. If Marvel was able to go from Edward Norton to Mark Ruffalo (two men with rather different builds and appearances) as their Hulk, I think Warner Bros can absolutely go from Ben Affleck to Oscar Isaac as their Batman.

Eh, I dunno. Keaton always felt like he was the most intimidating of the different Batman actors to me in the role. Even after Affleck and his bulking behemoth of a Batman came along.

Size isn't everything. I can absolutely buy Isaac playing a version of Batman that scares criminals shitless just as effectively, if not moreso, than Affleck's. It'd be different sure, but I think it'd be a bad idea to try and get anyone to straight up mimic Affleck's take on the role anyway.

Aselith

Maybe...Kitsch?
maxresdefault.jpg

As a short guy, you should know that short people can beat motherfuckers up too. You don't need to be tall to kick some ass.

Veelk

Banned

First off, there's no rule that says that the next Batman must be bigger than the previous one. Why do you even think that? And what's the logical end to that reasoning? Will the tenth batman after Affleck need to be 8 feet tall if each has to be over the other?

Second, as someone mentioned, as long as they aren't midgets, camera's can be used to make someone look larger than they are, so real life height isn't even an important factor.

Third, I'm kind of baffled by how attached people are to the superficial aspects of Batman. Like, the dude playing him has to be in shape, obviously, but I don't need much more than that. It's cool that Affleck seemingly has the muscle mass of a silverback gorilla, but I don't really care about that in Batman. Batman needs to be scary to criminals, and he can do that through his actions. Bruce Lee wasn't a huge guy, 5'7'' with a very lean frame, but he knew actual martial arts and how to actually do serious damage to people. That's the scary bit, doing actual damage. And that's what Batman needs to be capable of, what he uses to inflict fear. Huge Gains are optional.

J_Viper

I disagree. If Marvel was able to go from Edward Norton to Mark Ruffalo (two men with rather different builds and appearances) as their Hulk, I think Warner Bros can absolutely go from Ben Affleck to Oscar Isaac as their Batman.

Eh, I dunno. Keaton always felt like he was the most intimidating of the different Batman actors to me in the role. Even after Affleck and his bulking behemoth of a Batman came along.

Size isn't everything. I can absolutely buy Isaac playing a version of Batman that scares criminals shitless just as effectively, if not moreso, than Affleck's. It'd be different sure, but I think it'd be a bad idea to try and get anyone to straight up mimic Affleck's take on the role anyway.

Well, I'd said Banner is a difference case altogether. TIH was the closest thing to a "bomb" released by in the MCU, so recasting the character wasn't a problem, because no one really cared.

I don't think the public will really mind a new Batman either, but I do think hiring Joe Mango and handling him Affleck's wig would be an easier transition than going for a completely new look and take.

Yeah, Keaton was definitely intimidating in a "this guy is actually fucking crazy" way. Oscar would have no issues pulling off a similar take.

Maybe it's just me. I liked having a giant tank Batman, and I think anyone with a smaller physique would be a visual downgrade

As a short guy, you should know that short people can beat motherfuckers up too. You don't need to be tall to kick some ass.

You're right, but Batman has always been a taller man. Keaton is really the only exception.

First off, there's no rule that says that the next Batman must be bigger than the previous one. Why do you even think that? And what's the logical end to that reasoning? Will the tenth batman after Affleck need to be 8 feet tall if each has to be over the other?

Second, as someone mentioned, as long as they aren't midgets, camera's can be used to make someone look larger than they are, so real life height isn't even an important factor.

Third, I'm kind of baffled by how attached people are to the superficial aspects of Batman. Like, the dude playing him has to be in shape, obviously, but I don't need much more than that. It's cool that Affleck seemingly has the muscle mass of a silverback gorilla, but I don't really care about that in Batman. Batman needs to be scary to criminals, and he can do that through his actions. Bruce Lee wasn't a huge guy, 5'7'' with a very lean frame, but he knew actual martial arts and how to actually do serious damage to people. That's the scary bit, doing actual damage. And that's what Batman needs to be capable of, what he uses to inflict fear. Huge Gains are optional.

It's not about being bigger than Affleck, but hiring someone who could pull off a similar build.

And I'd disagree with gains being optional. It's 2017, dudes like Hemsworth, Jackman, and Evans set the standard for super hero actors. Hell, look how huge Josh Brolin is for Deadpool.

Top Bottom