• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is Unreal Engine 4?

Sorry if it was already said, but Yager (Spec Ops The Line) licensed Unreal Engine 4 back in March for their next game, wich will be a next generation FPS, as said on their website. It will be an AAA game.

By the way, a recent job opening for an UI Designer say that Yager is working on a AAA free-to-play. It could be one and only game, so that Unreal Engine 4 FPS would be an F2P.

velociraptor

image22wlzb.jpeg
This looks stunning.

I would be so happy if we could come anywhere near that this generation.

UE4 isn't expected to become widely used till late 2014 so no it doesn't really surprise me.

That being said, there are things being done to UE3 that make any additional cost to license UE4 irrelevant at this point in development.

This is not surprisingly when you consider that UE2 was still being utilized through out the first year of the 360 (see Bioshock 1)

Sean

Banned
This.

People forget that UE3 games didn't start showing up until Gears 1 in 2006 -- a whole year after the 360 came out. I think Epic has already confirmed that UE4 won't really be ready for licensing until maybe a year after next-gen starts, just as it was with UE3. Before that point last gen, some early 360 games actually used modified versions of UE2 like BioShock and Splinter Cell.

Gears was shown very early on though. E3 2005, Game Informer cover story, X05, TGS 05, etc. I'm not 100% sure on this but I wanna say Mass Effect, Too Human, Stranglehold, and a bunch of other UE3 games were shown in 2005 as well shortly after the consoles were announced.

Even though they took a year to release there was lots of screenshots and gameplay demos etc of UE3 games. By comparison we've seen pretty much nothing from UE4. Even Epic's own Fortnite which was revealed nearly two years ago was MIA at E3.

I don't understand why a game developer will create an in-house engine when third-party engines like Unreal, Unity, or even Source are available. What's in it for them? Does it save money?

yes licensing fees. EA using Frostbite 3 for their games will save them money.

ShowDog

I would be surprised and disappointed if UE4 is anywhere near as prevalent as UE3 was this gen. The same company shouldn't dominate engine/middleware design for so long.

NotUS

Companies with multiple projects are better off creating their own engine, it reduces the long tern cost over the gen as its absorbed early on, and gives them a lot more flexibility to tweak and update it over the years, without the need to enter a new hefty licensing fee with each game.

With more next gen games going 'open world' I would guess having the extra flexibility to tweak and update as required would yield a better result on the features and performance of the final game.

From the looks of it, and anything can change of course, small to mid tier suppliers will be using off the shelf engines next gen, and I think that's where UE4 will primarily sit.

So maybe Epic Games need to ramp up their games division and create a new Gears, a new IP, and god forbid, Unreal 3 open world running on UE4.

RayMaker

Banned

When/if will we get games that look this good on the X1/PS4?

I remember mark rein being asked if that demo could run on the PS4 and his anwser was along the lines of ''you saw how elemental looked on PS4, so the infiltrator demo will compare similarly''

its the lighting that really makes this demo stand out I have never seen metals and other textures look so real.

Atomski

When/if will we get games that look this good on the X1/PS4?

I remember mark rein being asked if that demo could run on the PS4 and his anwser was along the lines of ''you saw how elemental looked on PS4, so the infiltrator demo will compare similarly''

its the lighting that really makes this demo stand out I have never seen metals and other textures look so real.

So it wont look as good as the original demo then?

FyreWulff

I don't understand why a game developer will create an in-house engine when third-party engines like Unreal, Unity, or even Source are available. What's in it for them? Does it save money?

Yes, it will save them millions and they don't have to subsidize a competitor's games with royalty payments.

RayMaker

Banned
So it wont look as good as the original demo then?

Thats the impressions I got, here is the original quote.

Mark Rein: Well, let's put it this way. Last year we saw the Elemental demo running on the same piece of hardware and this year we saw the Elemental running on PS4, so I'd say draw your own conclusions... The feeling around Epic on Infiltrator is that this is the pipeline, this is the way we're going to work, making games that are going to have this kind of feel to them, this much detail, this many shadows and it'll just get better and better as we optimise the engine further and further.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gdc-2013-unreal-engine-4

KOHIPEET

When I watched that elemental demo I thought, It looks very good, especially the part focused on the ice-guy. I think in a few years, after tremendous amounts of optimization and with a tiny bit of smoke&mirrors, games can look like the infiltrator demo on ps4 (probably also on x1).

I really hope that Epic is working on something for Ps4. (What I really hope for is a good old-school UT, but this will probalby stay a hope forever.)

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Just wanted to add that this weekend, at PAX Prime, Epic is sponsoring the Livestreaming of four of our Unreal Engine Licensees on the PAX Twitch.tv channel. Join us at the following times.
-Tiny Brains. Saturday, 8/31, at 7pm PT
-Contrast. Saturday, 8/31 at 7:30pm PT
-Blacklight Retribution. Sunday, 9/1 at 2pm PT
-Outlast. Monday, 9/2 at 1:30pm PT
We hope to see you at http://epic.gm/unrealpax!

statham

Just wanted to add that this weekend, at PAX Prime, Epic is sponsoring the Livestreaming of four of our Unreal Engine Licensees on the PAX Twitch.tv channel. Join us at the following times.
-Tiny Brains. Saturday, 8/31, at 7pm PT
-Contrast. Saturday, 8/31 at 7:30pm PT
-Blacklight Retribution. Sunday, 9/1 at 2pm PT
-Outlast. Monday, 9/2 at 1:30pm PT
We hope to see you at http://epic.gm/unrealpax!

well, okay then.

edit: Making a thread for this.

Top Bottom