• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
Yeah, after the culling of the football thread a few years ago I worked out that she didn't deserve the reputation she had.
So what exactly did Red Scarlet do in the football thread?

Great Rumbler said:
Straight from Red Scarlet:
If anything, the whole situation was pretty jarring and disappointing. I thought I did enough nice/helpful things to counteract the super-deadly-to-the-forum act of showing one banned person another banned person's ban reason because they were being a confrontational liar about it. But apparently not.

Given the chances Dragona was given versus Red Scarlet, I'd say she's got a point tbh.

Mr_Brit said:
So what exactly did Red Scarlet do?

EviLore spelled it out a few pages back. This thread is growing pretty quickly.

LaserBuddha said:
Need mods in OT? Make me one. I'd be a golden god belching fire, great and terrible.
lTjcG.png

Amir0x said:
I don't troll at all. Most people just simply don't know what trolling means. Trolls do not sit around responding to every point people make, typing up thousand word justifications and clarifications of positions replete with links, statistics and more. I genuinely believe in every word I say, even if I don't actually take videogame discussion as seriously as it may seem.

I am, of course, abrasive and stubborn, and throw in more than a little conviction, but that's not the same thing as trolling. Most people just don't like that it comes from a mod, because they think mods need to be "above the fray." Maybe they do kind of, but i am very opinionated by nature. I'm from Brooklyn :p

Sorry dude, but you do tend to go off if you don't like a game and use your opinion as fact when arguing with people. If you're wondering I have no ill will towards you or want you to be taken down or anything, I just feel like you need to work on arguing in a better manner.

Amir0x

Banned
ciaossu said:
It's still hard to look at the red names and think, hey, I can disagree if I'm reasonable. It's definitely something I liked about coming to GAF though

Yeah. I love GAF. People think I'm so negative about everything but I really do think GAF is a great community filled with mostly earnest people who just love games deep down. And I really do love games. Because I am so passionate about it, it might work both ways for me in that I am as passionate about the games I love as the games I think are a bad influence on the industry. But also regards companies like Nintendo, whom I love but am very critical of when they make poor decisions, people don't understand it's only because I love them so much and what they represent that I'm more vocal about the mistakes they're currently making. There is no one quite like them in the industry and it's difficult to watch them fumble.

KaotikMind said:
Sorry dude, but you do tend to go off if you don't like a game and use your opinion as fact when arguing with people

Ah you're one of those who think stating something with force and conviction equals "using opinion as fact."

Well, since you're factually incorrect about that, all I can say is that we're all adult enough not to have to pepper imo and "i think" before every sentence to pacify overly-sensitive individuals who simply are too stubborn to automatically assume nearly everything in videogame discussion is automatically opinion. Because I can assure you I know that, and I'm the one people like you pitiably love to accuse of not realizing his opinion is not a fact.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Great Rumbler said:
Straight from Red Scarlet:

I liked Scar quite a bit and had known her for a long time. Same with Dragona, for that matter. I have to keep all that as separate as I can from what is best for GAF, though, and that I take seriously.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
EviLore said:
Please don't repost anything from Costanza again. He's permed for a reason.
This rule should be carried out all over the Internet so that one day, one sweet day, his name would be invoked and he wouldn't appear in some form out of nowhere like beetlejuice.

FreeMufasa said:
Afreak

If anyone remembers him. I was a lurker at the time but I think he was posting about smanging his teen students whilst working in China. lol
Oh yes, I remember him. He was abusing his authority as a teacher to get into one of his female student's pants. Also, Dog-GAF didn't appreciate him wanting to chow down on a some dog meat at said student's house.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I really liked Red Scarlet and WasabiKing. They were both very approachable. Every time I pm'ed them about some problem or something, they'd always reply back and be extra helpful. Sad that they're gone. :(

Garjon

Cerebral Assassin said:
Yeah, after the culling of the football thread a few years ago I worked out that she didn't deserve the reputation she had.
I'm glad you brought this up, what happened exactly? All I know is that Red misinterpreted a comment and banned a poster and the situation escalated into a war?

KaotikMind said:
Sorry dude, but you do tend to go off if you don't like a game and use your opinion as fact when arguing with people. If you're wondering I have no ill will towards you or want you to be taken down or anything, I just feel like you need to work on arguing in a better manner.
But I really enjoy watching him argue with people.

TommyT

ciaossu said:
It's still hard to look at the red names and think, hey, I can disagree if I'm reasonable. It's definitely something I liked about coming to GAF though

For all my stupid freak outs in the past, I'm glad I don't have a tag lol

That's like seeing a cop on the highway going 60 when the speed limit is 70, and everyone going 60 behind him. You can pass him without breaking the law. You can express your point here, but don't be a jackass and speed/flip him off when you pass :lol

Jinfash said:
This rule should be carried out all over the Internet so that one day, one sweet day, his name would be invoked and he wouldn't appear in some form out of nowhere like beetlejuice.

Ultimately, it was C0stanza's fault that Red Scarlet was demodded/banned, so, yes, I believe we should all hope for this blessed day.

Forkball

EviLore said:
On top of that, it turned out that she had been letting her partner use her admin account and he had apparently been banning people himself for years, and when she finally decided to mention that this was taking place I had to either demod her or give him his own mod account. At the time I made the very wrong decision to go with the latter, because Dragona was an OG and I wanted to keep her around, and Lyre turned out to be one of the worst mods we've ever had
Damn, I had no idea about the connection between Dragona and lyre. That actually makes a lot of sense now. I didn't want to say anything because I assumed bad mouthing a mod would get you banned, but I agree on lyre. He always seemed so rude in every thread he posted in, and banned people on a whim. That Epic Mickey fiasco should have never happened. I'm glad someone like Minsc got modded because he seems reasonable and helpful, I can't imagine him pulling the stuff lyre did.

BAMAN

Neo Member
EviLore said:
Private information, not personal information. RIF. Information from the mod forum about a poster given to Costanza, after Costanza had already been permanently banned for scheming to attack the forum.

Please don't repost anything from Costanza again. He's permed for a reason.

might be my last post, but...

More from cos: "Scheming to attack the forum? The forum I had 26,000 posts on and loved? REALLY? Space Cadet started posting a bunch of random Rock Band news threads after Evilore complained about the fact that we had a subcommuity. I thought it was funny and said "lol" in an IRC and agreed with TheGreatDave that we should go ahead and get on-topic conversation going in the threads if that's what Evilore wanted the Rock Band threads to be. I was literally permed for saying "lol yes" in an IRC channel."

Mr_Brit

Banned
Forkball said:
Damn, I had no idea about the connection between Dragona and lyre. That actually makes a lot of sense now. I didn't want to say anything because I assumed bad mouthing a mod would get you banned, but I agree on lyre. He always seemed so rude in every thread he posted in, and banned people on a whim. That Epic Mickey fiasco should have never happened. I'm glad someone like Minsc got modded because he seems reasonable and helpful, I can't imagine him pulling the stuff lyre did.
So what happened there?

LProtag

The Shadow said:
Given the chances Dragona was given versus Red Scarlet, I'd say she's got a point tbh.

Even EviLore is a person who can make mistakes. I'd say he's running things well right, there's a good group of mods who haven't done anything that wasn't really expected.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Mr_Brit said:
So what happened there?
I think it was covered in the early pages of this thread.

Edit: I love how threads about banned members and other such stuff always turn into these insights into GAF's inner workings.

Happens every so often and I never get tired.

I have learned one thing from this thread, which is that apparently you can only be an attention whore if you also have a vagina, but if you go out of your way to create forum melodrama and even have people post your IRC missives because you can't post them yourself then it's cool as long as you have a penis. Or something.

ampere

Amir0x said:
Yeah. I love GAF. People think I'm so negative about everything but I really do think GAF is a great community filled with mostly earnest people who just love games deep down. And I really do love games. Because I am so passionate about it, it might work both ways for me in that I am as passionate about the games I love as the games I think are a bad influence on the industry. But also regards companies like Nintendo, whom I love but am very critical of when they make poor decisions, people don't understand it's only because I love them so much and what they represent that I'm more vocal about the mistakes they're currently making. There is no one quite like them in the industry and it's difficult to watch them fumble.
Yeah I can definitely understand that view about Nintendo. I've always figured you were more frustrated because you cared rather than trolling.

When Company X does something stupid now with motion controls or whatever I just laugh, but if there's a major problem with the 3DS or WiiU that people are discussing I get sad because I'm awaiting that next Mario or Zelda game just like I was when I was 8 and it would be heartbreaking if it didn't go well

TheExodu5

Banned
Forkball said:

I thought that was duckroll.

edit: guess not.

Tain

I usually love threads where Amir0x is considered "trolling" simply because he's often saying shit I agree with, only he's saying it with a level of intensity that I sometimes feel I'd get banned for having.

Maybe I should be holding back less!

NewFresh

Tain said:
I usually love threads where Amir0x is considered "trolling" simply because he's often saying shit I agree with, only he's saying it with a level of intensity that I sometimes feel I'd get banned for having.

Live your life to the fullest, people be damned

EviLore said:
I liked Scar quite a bit and had known her for a long time. Same with Dragona, for that matter. I have to keep all that as separate as I can from what is best for GAF, though, and that I take seriously.

Can't mix business and personal. Usually never works.

I'm curious EviLore, is GAF now your full-time job? Or do you still pull a 9-5 somewhere? After that GamePro article it sparked my curiosity.

EviLore said:
I have to keep all that as separate as I can from what is best for GAF, though, and that I take seriously.

Everytime her name is mentioned, people have nothing but good things to say about her. That type of universal praise for a mod isn't common, even on GAF.

Amir0x

Banned
ciaossu said:
Yeah I can definitely understand that view about Nintendo. I've always figured you were more frustrated because you cared rather than trolling.

When Company X does something stupid now with motion controls or whatever I just laugh, but if there's a major problem with the 3DS or WiiU that people are discussing I get sad because I'm awaiting that next Mario or Zelda game just like I was when I was 8 and it would be heartbreaking if it didn't go well

Yup. Nintendo aside, though, apparently I am a fanboy of everyone else at some point. Sony fans think I am a hater because I said PS3's chances were over when they lost FFXIII's exclusivity. Microsoft fans think I'm a hater because I think Kinect is terrible and say so. Nintendo fans think I'm a hater because I've been a vocal critical of the "blue ocean" strategy of catering toward the casuals and using precious resources on the, imo, inferior products they've released for them during this gen.

To be frank I just find this entire gen a little frustrating with all three of the big guys :p

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Mr_Brit said:
So what exactly did Red Scarlet do in the football thread?

Exactly what was needed. It was a thread full of idiots being idiots and getting away with it because mods had for whatever reason ignored it. When she finally dropped in, she found a thread full of posts that would have gotten members perma'd in any other thread.

Ami, you do troll just ever so slightly, but we still love you.
Stump was awful when he was first made a mod, but has gotten much much better. I remember him just dropping into threads and being a condescending prick to everyone who even slightly disagreed with him. But he has become a good mod since then.
Evilore drowns burlap sacks filled with kittens.

Mod situation is pretty good right now, not a lot of unjust bannings as compared to say a year ago. And of course Blackace is the man.

InsertNameHere said:
Even EviLore is a person who can make mistakes. I'd say he's running things well right, there's a good group of mods who haven't done anything that wasn't really expected.

I wouldn't post here if I didn't think this was a good forum.

That kind of favoritism urks me though, always has, on or off-line. Pet peeve I guess.

Wazzim said:
That's because very few people get them nowadays so more people want to be part of the 'elite'.

I think the main problem is that people in the past were given tags for doing really crazy shit, or saying something incredibly stupid. So, the reasoning is, to get a tag you need to follow along.

TacticalFox88 said:
Hitokage is my favorite mod. Dude seems to know a little bit of everything. Lives up to his tag indeed.

He's another good one. Hardly see him post anymore though. Maybe I'm just not in the right threads.

Forkball

Mr_Brit said:
So what happened there?
lyre made an Epic Mickey thread and banned anyone who discussed what console it might come to. This was during a time when the game was not announced for the Wii and the whole project itself was rather mysterious, so there was a lot of speculation. But lyre (I assume it was him, maybe not) handed out bans to anyone who said something ranging from, "I hope this comes to PS3" to "Epic Mickey for 32X?!" I said it would come to the DS and got a two month ban for "console preference bullshit." To me, there's a difference between port-begging (UGH why is this on the Wii? It would be much better on the HD consoles) and speculation or jokes about where it might end up.

TheExodu5

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yup. Nintendo aside, though, apparently I am a fanboy of everyone else at some point. Sony fans think I am a hater because I said PS3's chances were over when they lost FFXIII's exclusivity. Microsoft fans think I'm a hater because I think Kinect is terrible and say so. Nintendo fans think I'm a hater because I've been a vocal critical of the "blue ocean" strategy of catering toward the casuals and using precious resources on the, imo, inferior products they've released for them during this gen.

To be frank I just find this entire gen a little frustrating with all three of the big guys :p

http://amir0x.ytmnd.com

(I think dot50cal made that)

Despera

Banned
Tain said:

I say go for it. After all, this thread needs more stories :lol

I'd make a terrible mod. My debate skills have eroded over time, I'd feel bad about banning people, and while I enjoy gaming, my knowledge of the hobby is nowhere near as extensive as it would need to be.

But I would ban FMT just for the fuck of it.

Amir0x

Banned
siddx said:
Stump was awful when he was first made a mod, but has gotten much much better. I remember him just dropping into threads and being a condescending prick to everyone who even slightly disagreed with him. But he has become a good mod since then.

What! This is like the opposite of how stump behaved!

Stump, charlequin and Opiate* are men of respect and intelligence. Minsc and Nirolak too. No hating these fine gentlemen! Not allowed.

I was the one who nominated Opiate! I am particularly proud of him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom