• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeliard said:
I remember Vennt at one point threatened to start banning people for making puns in threads. Dunno if he ever followed through with it.
After that shitstorm of puns in the thread about the Yale student who died in a lathe accident, I wish he'd followed through.

This thread is fucking fascinating, by the way. I've been lurking GAF since the great "megaton" fiasco of 2003(?) so all these names and legendary meltdowns are giving me major flashbacks.

InsertNameHere said:
Jeeze, didn't we get accepted at the same time? Where have you been posting so much?
Wrassle-GAF, Fighting Game-GAF,
Creepy-GAF
, some Boy-Age, and the occasional threads in Gaming and OT.

Unless that was a rhetorical question, in which case you can disregard that entire post.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
I remember Vennt at one point threatened to start banning people for making puns in threads. Dunno if he ever followed through with it.

I actually agree with that but it's not up to me. pun-GAF is infuriatingly annoying.

Ferrio

Banned
We need to take the TF2 route with this, old school members need special badges or hats... yes hats...

dave is ok said:
So why was ****** banned?

EDIT: Oh god, I can't even type his name still

opaopa?

edit: Guess not

LProtag

Professor Beef said:
Wrassle-GAF, Fighting Game-GAF,
Creepy-GAF
, some Boy-Age, and the occasional threads in Gaming and OT.

Unless that was a rhetorical question, in which case you can disregard that entire post.

No, not really, just wondering, haha.

Ami relishes pushing annoying posters to the brink with his opinions about anything. They'll snap and say something offensive, and down they go. I don't find it too troublesome, every forum needs its riff-raff purged occasionally.

xbhaskarx

TheExodu5 said:
LaserBuddha said:
mods are most concerned with banning people instead of proactively guiding discussion and actually improving things. They can be too reactionary
Stumpokapow has been awesome for this, at least on the gaming side. He's been a very positive mod influence on the board.

No offense to anyone else but he became the best mod on this site the day he became a mod.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Amir0x said:
I actually agree with that but it's not up to me. pun-GAF is infuriatingly annoying.
You're just jelly that you can never come up with any good ones.

Leunam said:
Details are sketchy at best but one qualification involves capturing the ever elusive Unicorn.
I already captured one in that little box to the left.

Dennis

Banned
EviLore said:
I don't even know what happened to Vennt exactly. He was only around for short periods each year in the modern GAF era, and would come back here and there and be very active and then leave again (because of his work, presumably). That was fine, until he came back one time a while back and started banning anyone who said anything negative about Apple in Apple-related threads. I talked with him about it, he insisted that he was in the right, but I undid the bans. Same thing happened again shortly after. Then, not sure how long after that since no one noticed (we were used to him being away most of the time), he deleted his own account. Don't know if the two things were related or not; they may not have been, but those were my last interactions with him.
Another fascinating tale from the vault.

Its almost like mods are regular people too!

Geez....so despite the pretty good reputation Red Scarlet has on here, that shit is pretty unforgivable. Perfect example where the myth is better than the facts.

And holy shit. Modding the SO of a mod to keep her from leaving....HOLY SHIT. Account sharing is a bannable offense for regular members. Should be inexcusable for a mod. My 2 cents.

LaserBuddha said:
Now while I wouldn't consider any of the current mods assholes, there does seem to a be trend where mods are most concerned with banning people instead of proactively guiding discussion and actually improving things. They can be too reactionary and to some degree, however small, I'm sure it's due to bannings being guilty pleasures, apart from whether the ban is justified or not. The chilling effect of the broad "no backseat modding/public criticism" rule kind of keeps an understanding from being reached on this.

I agree with this, 100%

Probably why I like Amir0x as a mod. We don't always agree but he's an active participant. Probably why there are those who *don't* like him, because he doesn't just hover.

TheExodu5

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
Ami relishes pushing annoying posters to the brink with his opinions about anything. They'll snap and say something offensive, and down they go. I don't find it too troublesome, every forum needs its riff-raff purged occasionally.

"I have never used the 3D slider on my 3DS".

*trollface*

I kind of see his point now that I basically ignore the slider as well...

Amir0x

Banned
CHEEZMO™ said:
You're just jelly that you can never come up with any good ones.

i mean it'd be ok if it was once in a while but every thread, no matter how big or small, is first met with two pages straight of bad puns

It's like oh god enough already

TheExodu5 said:
"I have never used the 3D slider on my 3DS".

Hey, I haven't. The truth isn't trolling lol

NewFresh

ConradCervantes said:

He just sees the potential stupidity in people. He is swift with the hammer

Amir0x

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
I think I'd be an awesome Mod :p

We have a no conspiracy rule sorry

Member Etiquette said:
No conspiracy nonsense please
Please don't create threads speculating on Big Foot, or UFOs, etc. That's not to say a thread should not be created if there is an actual news article or a press conference (even if it's just to laugh at loonies), but those which serve only to forward the agenda of conspiracy blogs or to discuss about possible psychic predictions of when California is going to sink into the ocean are not welcome here.

Guzim

Amir0x said:
i mean it'd be ok if it was once in a while but every thread, no matter how big or small, is first met with two pages straight of bad puns

Puns are awful when they're posted in news stories that are depressing.

Garjon

EviLore said:
I don't even know what happened to Vennt exactly. He was only around for short periods each year in the modern GAF era, and would come back here and there and be very active and then leave again (because of his work, presumably). That was fine, until he came back one time a while back and started banning anyone who said anything negative about Apple in Apple-related threads. I talked with him about it, he insisted that he was in the right, but I undid the bans. Same thing happened again shortly after. Then, not sure how long after that since no one noticed (we were used to him being away most of the time), he deleted his own account. Don't know if the two things were related or not; they may not have been, but those were my last interactions with him.
According to him (I'd post a link but I'm pretty sure it'd be asterisk'd) he thought you were going to de-mod and delete his account so he did his own account in instead.

EDIT: Also does that "is being watched" tag mean anything in terms of probation or is it just to mark conspiracy theorists?

Amir0x

Banned
Garjon said:
According to him (I'd post a link but I'm pretty sure it'd be asterisk'd) he thought you were going to de-mod and delete his account so he did his own account in instead.

haha even if Evilore was going to de-mod him I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to delete his account. He's never done that ever as far as I can see

Whatever happened to Pimpwerx? He was the guy who always said PEACE after all his posts. A lot of people hated it, I just thought it was silly and didn't mind.

BAMAN

Neo Member
EviLore said:
Nope.

Scarlet's removal and Dragona's removal are unrelated.

Scarlet gave private information about a member to Costanza, which Costanza then used to try to manipulate that member (by pretending to have full access to mod information, and using that one piece of info as proof). This member knew Kagari and when she found out about it and investigated it got back to me, and Scarlet allegedly called her a snitch for telling me (that bit is second hand though since I wasn't present). Regardless, I removed her for providing Costanza with private information about a GAF member.

Dragona and I seemed to stop getting along around the time she started permanently banning anyone having any sort of discussion about transsexualism. I am 100% pro LBGT presence on GAF and against discrimination, and the policies and hopefully the moderation of the site reflect that, however when someone is having a purely scientific discussion about transsexualism and says something like "the scientific evidence for gender reassignment surgery isn't necessarily entirely conclusive in favor of it, here's why," and you perm them just for saying that, that's just having an agenda that's destructive to discussion. There's a long history of situations like that, and Dragona had the best intentions but they weren't the right decisions for a GAF mod to be making.

There were also scenarios like when Dragona would issue ultimatums in the middle of huge exploding gaming forum threads, where she would say something like "if you say anything about X after this post I will ban you for three months," and maybe five people out of a thousand would actually see the ultimatum and then she would ban dozens of people for three months, many of whom were good posters. This happened several times over the years.

On top of that, it turned out that she had been letting her partner use her admin account and he had apparently been banning people himself for years, and when she finally decided to mention that this was taking place I had to either demod her or give him his own mod account. At the time I made the very wrong decision to go with the latter, because Dragona was an OG and I wanted to keep her around, and Lyre turned out to be one of the worst mods we've ever had (don't worry, Mike Works, you're still #1 in my heart). And then I noticed they *still* used their accounts interchangeably so there was no way to have accountability for their respective mod actions, so if I wanted to get rid of Lyre it would be pointless unless I got rid of both of them. I let them both go.

IN IRC with Costanza right now and well

" Evilore has that Red Scarlet story all wrong. All she gave me were the details of Darkpen's banning because he had been lying to me about what really happened. I confronted him, and he went to Kagari whining because I wouldn't give up my source. She wasn't giving me fucking personal information on users."

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Amir0x said:

Bad puns I understand.

That's why I'll only post one if I think it's good.

I mean, people complain about depressing threads, then complain when someone tries to bring some levity to the place.

GAF so crazy.

Pun-GAF is good for a few chuckles, but then you realize what you're laughing at and feel badly about yourself.

I swore I saw some in the Japan earthquake thread. Nothing is sacred.

Guzim said:
Puns are awful when they're posted in news stories that are depressing.

I mainly just hate it when people try too hard. It seems like most news story threads start with 30-50 posters trying to be the first to say something clever.

Amir0x

Banned
Jinfash said:
Pun-GAF could be subdued by dealing with a single member.

It's amazing how you do this. Say so much so clearly without ever saying the actual people you're talking about lol.

Yeah, we could deal with him but I think he has a hot sister in playboy or something so all the mods just sort of do nothing. Plus, he's like the only one that ever makes good puns so it's everyone else following in his footsteps that is fucked :p

FreeMufasa

Afreak

If anyone remembers him. I was a lurker at the time but I think he was posting about smanging his teen students whilst working in China. lol

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Amir0x said:
We have a no conspiracy rule sorry
Buuuuuurn.

BAMAN said:

" Evilore has that Red Scarlet story all wrong. All she gave me were the details of Darkpen's banning because he had been lying to me about what really happened. I confronted him, and he went to Kagari whining because I wouldn't give up my source. She wasn't giving me fucking personal information on users."
DRAMA!

Edit: I still hold that my pun in that lathe thread was hilarious.

Lionheart1827 said:
Whatever happene to Pimpwerx? He was the guy who always said PEACE after all his posts. A lot of people hated it, I just thought it was silly and didn't mind.

Banned for being a really really annoying Miami Heat fan.

Yeah, Red Scarlet committed the mortal sin of exposing the contents of a ban message to C0stanza.

There are some highly interesting posts on THAT OTHER FORUM for those willing to do a bit of searching.

Guzim

EviLore, tell more stories please.

Sniyk.jpg

I want to know how exactly the moderator selection process even works. Like there was a time when I knew Kagari and Y2Kev were regular members yet got promoted.

BAMAN said:

The plot thickens!

TommyT

Amir0x said:
It's amazing how you do this. Say so much so clearly without ever saying the actual people you're talking about lol.

Yeah, we could deal with him but I think he has a hot sister in playboy or something so all the mods just sort of do nothing. Plus, he's like the only one that ever makes good puns so it's everyone else following in his footsteps that is fucked :p

:lol so really his puns can thank the erection from his sister?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
BAMAN said:

GetYoPopcornReady.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom