• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whisper it, but Xbox One is finding its stride [EUROGAMER]

In your own words: "Your opinion. One that I do not share"

And I respect your opinion, but there is no need to be condescending for people for choosing either platform, just as well as you find Sony's "pandering" and "condescension" offensive, I also find that Microsoft has a long road to recover my trust in them as a consumer and to prove that they can deliver a wide-range of titles that appeal to many people instead of mainly just the first-person-shooter, sports gaming, "hardcore" demographic that they pursue so much.

In the same way that Sony tries to pander to a diverse audience by showcasing both exclusive first-person-shooters, action games, and independently developed titles, doesn't Microsoft focus most of its efforts on a particular type of audience? Don't they, in your own way of saying, also try to "pander" to a certain demographic very strongly?

Both companies are trying to appeal to different markets with some overlap between the two, but I think the way you voiced your opinion is a bit offensive.

I apologize if the tone of my message was offensive or condescending. I suppose that backlash was a pent up rage that accompanies being a Microsoft/Nintendo customer on the Gaf. It was meant to be towards the situation and a group(the Sony fanboys whom 99% of have a superiority complex the size of the Milky Way), and not at any individual. I am tired of being treated with condescension by said fanboys because I do not share their same love of Sony., especially on the Gaf over the last 8 months.

As far as each company aiming for a different demographic, I would like to respectfully disagree. When looking at first party titles, both companies have a racing sim, party games, a big budget FPS, a big budget TPS, and an adventure series. Beyond that, it is all 3rd party content. Content that, before this past generation, you could easily say that Somy had locked up. But with MGS and FF going multiplatform this generation, and most other companies following suit as well, there is not really that much of a difference between the demographic that both company aims for. What it really falls down to is personal preference.

I just really wish that the Internet could understand this concept and like what they like without feeling the need to criticize someone else's personal preference. I accept that some people dislike Microsoft. I understand that some people dislike Nintendo. That's ok, because it doesn't affect me in one bit. I just wish that the hardest of hardcore fanboys of all 3 consoles would simply be content enjoying their system without belittling others for their choice!

Lucifon

It's times like these that make me embarrassed to be part of the gaming community recently. The 'cool to hate' MS thing has reached a new level of pettiness when I see every Xbox related article has a mass of fanboys slating the system and every Xbox related Youtube video has 100s/1000s of 'dislikes' for no other reason than it mentioning the word 'Xbox' in the title.

Competition is great for the industry, it keeps all parties on their toes. Buy whichever system appeals to you the most and enjoy it. Games are about having a good time afterall.

Keep the exclusives coming and the rest will fall in place. Don't be stingy on 1st party development costs/time either.

This is why I can't by an Xbox One. They are stingy on 1st party development and instead of taking that money and putting their devs to work, they rather spend it on timed exclusives and timed dlc. It's not worth it.

It's times like these that make me embarrassed to be part of the gaming community recently. The 'cool to hate' MS thing has reached a new level of pettiness when I see every Xbox related article has a mass of fanboys slating the system and every Xbox related Youtube video has 100s/1000s of 'dislikes' for no other reason than it mentioning the word 'Xbox' in the title.

Competition is great for the industry, it keeps all parties on their toes. Buy whichever system appeals to you the most and enjoy it. Games are about having a good time afterall.

Ugh, this is not exclusive to Microsoft and was a Sony story for almost 5 years and actually still running. Get over it. Microsoft messed up just like everyone else and just because people aren't forgetful and easily forgiven doesn't mean it's not warranted. Please, this type of speech is overrated. Throw yourself back to 2006-2010 Sony and then talk. Give me a break. Sony was always 'uncool' and it really doesn't take rocket science to know that. I hope this line of speech was given for Nintendo that still goes through it and Sony back in the days when they messed up too. Pssh.

liezryou

Yep which is why the GameCube ended up doing much better than the PS2 since the system had more power and was a cheaper price.

Oh wait -- that didn't happen.

At the end of the day all that really matters is games and features. If both are appealing enough then people will buy the console(s).

Anyway, it does seem like the Xbox One picked up some buzz at gamescom. Overall, both systems are looking good.

The gamecube was more powerful then the PS2? o_O.

MS's changes have been great, but it's pretty clear the PS4 will be more appealing for most traditional gamers.

You fail to understand that the hardcore are going to buy their console of choice regardless of th price, the mainstream audience "which account for the majority of the market" are going to pick up whatever allows them to play their COD or Madden at the cheapest price.

The hardcore are going to buy both consoles.

edit

Not the price itself is the problem, but the price for a fucking 1,3TFLOPS machine. It's a joke. Microsoft "pulled a Nintendo" and there is no chance I gonna support it. If people buy it just for Halo, well, can't change that.

You've lost all perspective on things.

Thrakier

My best friend who I would have a deemed an Xbox 360 freak was livid with the original plans for the Xbox One, and now he is is buying one at launch.

Yes the price and Kinect (for some) is an issue, but Microsoft through their efforts (backtracking, whatever) might just come back from the brink of death.

Not the price itself is the problem, but the price for a fucking 1,3TFLOPS machine. It's a joke. Microsoft "pulled a Nintendo" and there is no chance I gonna support it. If people buy it just for Halo, well, can't change that.

yeah...no

MS has just went from -7 to 0 IMO...

No need to whisper anything, I don't think they have a stride at all. Fans of Xbox probably like it again, that's about it.

but what do I know...

abadguy

Banned
This is why I can't by an Xbox One. They are stingy on 1st party development and instead of taking that money and putting their devs to work, they rather spend it on timed exclusives and timed dlc. It's not worth it.

All the devs they started in the last few years would suggest otherwise but i realize that acknowledging such a thing would go against the narrative.

Showaddy

Eurogamer really are determined to see the One succeed aren't they?

On the other hand Edge are determined to see the thing buried with a pick & shovel.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It is no secret. MS's 180s make the system FAR more comparable to the PS4 than it's initial reveal. PS4 still has the leg up right now, but the gap is considerably lessened.

Eurogamer really are determined to see the One succeed aren't they?

On the other hand Edge are determined to see the thing buried with a pick & shovel.

Edge are much less willing to forgive MS for trying to push their anti-consumer bullshit. As a consumer advice magazine that attitude is understandable.

Leadbetter's efforts to make Xbone look stronger than it is and PS4 weaker than it is needs an explanation though, as does Eurogamer's whole outlook. I guess it's for the clicks...

LakeEarth

I am sitting out this launch because of it. I hate what Xbox One tried to do, but it has a way better 2013 lineup happening. Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3 pique my interest far more than Killzone and Knack (I'm hype for Infamous 3 but that's not til 2014).

I don't think they've made up for what they've lost yet.

For me it started even before the unveiling of the One and it's fucked up policies. The last third of the 360's life cycle it was becoming pretty clear that MS was less about the gamer and more about mainstream and mass media. The first half of the 360 cycle was pretty amazing - but they were a different company back then, or so it seemed like it.

Upper management at MS seem dazed and confused right now over this console they created, and all they know how to do is throw money at the problem.

abadguy

Banned
I prefer software competition on one platform, between rival third party publishers to having to play this stupid dance of wasting money on near-identical hardware, so no, I don't think this kind of competition is a good thing.

Microsoft made Sony rush the PS3 and also had the RRoD problems last generation, so it wasn't a good thing then either.

Furthermore, porting and a split userbase just increases costs on excessive re-work, so it's not a good thing for the development industry either.

MS didn't make Sony rush anything, and the biggest reason they didn't stick with the original Xbox was largely thanks to Nvidia. As for competition, yeah it is a good thing. A company can push any shitty policy or Price or whatever when there isn't any meaningful competition that costumers could easily go to. But its nothing new for certain fans to not like competition. As i saw on forums from certain fanbases when Sega announced they were exiting the hardware business.

I think its kind of interesting the xbox has reverted to being the shooter / sports box that the first xbox was when most 360 people would tell you XBLA was the real reason to own that platform.

They still have a lot to do on the indie front. They need to go out there fix some relationships.
Self Publishing was half the battle, now they just need prove they can treat developers better and we probably wont know that until a few years down the line after games get released and for once its a problem they cant fix by tossing money at it.

Dunlop

I am tired of being treated with condescension by said fanboys because I do not share their same love of Sony, especially on the Gaf over the last 8 months.

There has always been a certain contingent that feels the need to derail threads that they have no interest in participating in. I've posted about it for years, specifically in MS threads where no matter the topic it would soon have a "Paywall!" post and the inevitable bender.gif and the actual topic would long be forgotten.

Since MS's recent missteps, that mentality has gone into overdrive. It will not matter what steps are taken (MS has done a LOT in the last 3 months) the ammo is there.

Hardcore gamer has taken on some perverted definition that gives some posters a weird sense of entitlement.

As a gaming "enthusiast" (I will own all consoles as I always do, interested in the industry and new technologies, due to real life cannot commit insane amounts of time with gaming) it is frustrating because I can't help but believe that most people who are interested in MS just don't bother posting here anymore.

Haunted

Well, they completely lost me, so from my perspective, they've done about as badly as you can do before bringing out new hardware.

It's times like these that make me embarrassed to be part of the gaming community recently. The 'cool to hate' MS thing has reached a new level of pettiness

That's pretty weak.

I'm pretty proud of the gaming community as a whole for lashing out against this draconian piece of shit that MS just assumed we'd all swallow, begging for more.

CoG

It's more expensive and not so because it's a better product, it's because Microsoft is standing behind Kinect. I commend them for sticking to their guns (on this one) but they have shown absolutely nothing so far that would compel me to want a Kinect. Voice commands? No thanks. My iPhone has them and they're never used because it's socially awkward even when sitting home alone. Tap my head and wave my arms to do actions I've been doing on a d-pad for the past two decades? Why? If it does not markedly improve the experience it's simply a gimmick.

Plain and simple they blew it this gen. Maybe they can pull it out over the course of this generation but out the gate they are hobbling and with the price delta I don't see how they can turn it around in the eyes of gamers. They'll market the shit out of it and keep moneyhatting the "brah" titles like CoD for exclusive content but at the end of the day of a shitton of hardcore gamers migrate to PSN at the start of the gen there goes Microsoft's last stranglehold.

Dunlop

That's pretty weak.

I'm pretty proud of the gaming community as a whole for lashing out against this draconian piece of shit that MS just assumed we'd all swallow, begging for more.

I would have preferred if it was a "draconian piece of shit" that it failed on those merits.

MS was trying something new. Granted they did a horrible job explaining it, but it is not like they tried to hide their intentions and it never went live

Because the outcry we are treated with the status quo. But they have listened to said outcry

venne

I think its kind of interesting the xbox has reverted to being the shooter / sports box that the first xbox was when most 360 people would tell you XBLA was the real reason to own that platform.

They still have a lot to do on the indie front. They need to go out there fix some relationships.
Self Publishing was half the battle, now they just need prove they can treat developers better and we probably wont know that until a few years down the line after games get released and for once its a problem they cant fix by tossing money at it.

What Xbox shooter are you talking about? Crimson Dragon?

Seems to me that it should be getting more props on here than it does.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the only (admittedly HUGE) question regarding how xbone will do at launch and post is the price. It will be interesting to see how aggressive MS is at reacting and dropping the price (and/or kinect, lol) to react to sluggish sales.

Dabanton

Interesting article these parts really stood out to me.

Core gamers may have poured scorn on some of this stuff - I'm a big FIFA Ultimate Team fan, for example, and I'm not that bothered about a bunch of rare players that will be stupidly overpriced on the auction house and probably show up on PlayStation six months later anyway - but it will have a cumulative nudging effect on a lot of undecided gamers outside of the bubble we occupy, and will probably have more of an impact on people within it than many of us would like to admit. I wonder how many who were saluting Sony's indie exclusives are privately torn about whether they can put up with missing out on COD DLC for a month every time.

It's this sort of stuff that starts the shift. It may not count for many on here I mean the serious underplaying of the free FIFA in the box was hilarious. I can't count how many times I saw people repeatedly posting that the PS4 and a copy of FIFA14 would still be cheaper. And?

But as we've seen so many damn times we are a gnat compared to what the larger gaming market likes and buys in droves.

Meanwhile, Sony is sticking firmly to its message about supercharged PC hardware driving creativity and freedom of expression from the smallest studio to the largest corporation. It's a good message, but it is starting to feel too broad for this late stage in the pre-launch cycle. Adverts during X Factor aren't going to talk about N++ and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, after all; they're going to talk about Killzone: Shadow Fall and DriveClub. If the other side is pitching Call of Duty DLC first and Forza Motorsport 5, things may be closer than they appear

And this. Indie games are nice but they don't shift hardware to the masses. There has been a far too large play for indies this console round imo. I like my indie games but there are as much shit ones as good or even must plays.

I've said plenty of times the real 'battle' hasn't even kicked off yet Sony and MS have yet to truly unleash the advertising tsunami they are probably getting ready right now. That will get the attention of the people outside our community the people who only like things that are shoved in their faces repeatedly and get seen every ad break.

The console giveaways on daytime chatshows and the lifestyle magazine writeups

I feel some gamers are celebrating victory for one side over another a bit too early

cormack12

Gold Member
I agree, it's catching up with giant QWOP sized strides:

qwop.jpg

In all seriousness, I can't see anything they've done to attract new customers. I can see that it may win back some defecters to playstation and that's fine. Competition is healthy. I don't think the reversals have spread as much as the initial policies did though, so they need to work more on advertising that.

Bottom line is a lot of Xbox players have had their head turned by Sony. Sony gamers have been given one reason to consider the Xbox One. The features are intrusive (large kinect device), audio and motion. I think they've done enough to recover most of their original fanbase but at the moment Sony has a lot in reserve.

I think the thing that has hurt them most though has been the communication of messages. Take the RYSE micro transaction thread. Which PR idiot though that was the way to present that. How about 'RYSE DLC can be paid for with in-game XP points'

Honestly, this generation gave us a sneak preview. Next gen will be years away, the commitment now with even more DLC, DD and friends is huge. At the moment I just don't think MS have a clear strategy or message that I can buy into.

TheHater

Where were you in 2005, 2006. 2007, 2008, and 2009 when it was basically a sin to won a PS3.

pants

Your opinion. One that I do not share, as my X1 Day One Edition is paid in full, whereas I have no interest in buying a PS4 at all.

You assume that just because the PS4 is $100 less, that it will be the clear winner, but you fail to comprehend that people just may not like Sony as a company. The only Sony exclusive to even catch my eye is Uncharted, and I refuse to purchase another system solely for that franchise, after looking at the dust my Vita gathered until I finally decided to trade it to upgrade my OG 3DS to an XL.

Personally, I'm just done with Sony. Their recent "we care about the gamers" is nothing than pandering, offensive condescension, and stupid gamers are eating it up with a spoon.

By your very own reasoning this doesnt work. You will find many more people dislike Microsoft as a company than Sony.

Meanwhile in the UK, where the FIFA bundle was blatantly aimed at, the Xbone is falling back down the Amazon charts, down to #23 in the Video Games chart. For context, #3 is the PS4. Maybe they shouldn't have limited the FIFA to the (sold out) Day One edition?

Ushae

Banned

3 years ago I'd agree with you without hesitation. Not sure if you know this, but MS has a huge number of new studios opened purely to increase the output of it's first party titles, probably also becuase of Sony putting them to shame for the latter half of the console cycle.

I think we'll see parity between both consoles after 1-2 years. When proces drop and people begin noticing Kinect the sales will either roar or stagnate depending on the consumer repsonse. My money is on a good response.

Ugh, this is not exclusive to Microsoft and was a Sony story for almost 5 years and actually still running. Get over it. Microsoft messed up just like everyone else and just because people aren't forgetful and easily forgiven doesn't mean it's not warranted. Please, this type of speech is overrated. Throw yourself back to 2006-2010 Sony and then talk. Give me a break. Sony was always 'uncool' and it really doesn't take rocket science to know that. I hope this line of speech was given for Nintendo that still goes through it and Sony back in the days when they messed up too. Pssh.
You missed the point son, it was lame when it was done to Sony too. It's mostly fanboy nonsense and almost always involves the same, relatively small group of people.

Raonak

Banned
but it certainly is in a far better position than previously. I mean, looking back, Pre-180 xbone was a complete disaster. now it's just unappealing, maybe even competent if you're stretching it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Interesting article these parts really stood out to me.

It's this sort of stuff that starts the shift. It may not count for many on here I mean the serious underplaying of the free FIFA in the box was hilarious. I can't count how many times I saw people repeatedly posting that the PS4 and a copy of FIFA14 would still be cheaper. And?

But as we've seen so many damn times we are a gnat compared to what the larger gaming market likes and buys in droves.

And this. Indie games are nice but they don't shift hardware to the masses. There has been a far too large play for indies this console round imo. I like my indie games but there are as much shit ones as good or even must plays.

I've said plenty of times the real 'battle' hasn't even kicked off yet Sony and MS have yet to truly unleash the advertising tsunami they are probably getting ready right now. That will get the attention of the people outside our community the people who only like things that are shoved in their faces repeatedly and get seen every ad break.

The console giveaways on daytime chatshows and the lifestyle magazine writeups

I feel some gamers are celebrating victory for one side over another a bit too early

Agree with all of this. Good post.

Bgamer90

Banned
You missed the point son, it was lame when it was done to Sony too. It's mostly fanboy nonsense and almost always involves the same, relatively small group of people.

Yep.

I went from PS2 to Xbox 360 just like a lot of other people but didn't act like a brat about it.

Bgamer90

Banned
the Gamecube had too many things against it. the kiddy stigma, no big third party games (Madden, Fifa), no DVD drive etc...

Gamecube had EA support.

Heck, it was much better than the EA support the Wii U is getting.

As you said though, it did have along of other things against it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't know about this, interest doesn't seem any higher now than it was before. It's now in a PS3-like position where it might do well in a few years time, although, without the guaranteed sales in Europe and Asia that Sony could bank on last gen even that is much more unlikely.

I'm interested to see what MS do next, frankly. I still think that the most likely scenario is discontinuation of the Xbox family in the next few years and closing the Xbox division. Especially with these last-ditch attempts to save it pre-launch, they're pouring money into something I can't see as anything other than a black hole. Sony's response to the meek PS3 demand was clever; knowing that they weren't likely to ever have the best version of multiplatform games, they concentrated a lot more on first-party games. MS might do the same.

They did good at regaining confidence in me but i'm not sure yet when i'm gonna buy the system. When Titanfall comes out ? maybe. I like Dead Rising 3 and even Forza but that's not enough for me to put 500$+ on it...

I was hoping Gamescom would convince me getting an Xbox One but i was disapointed with their showing and kinect is very disapointing to me. It looked more like Kinect 1 and i had that bad flashback...

I think MS did a good job and i'm sure the shooter/western crowd will love the console... Competition is good, we need MS in this game so Sony doesn't fuck up. For me, i'm far more exited with games like Killzone, Knack and Infamous that anything on the bone.

ari

Banned
Your opinion. One that I do not share, as my X1 Day One Edition is paid in full, whereas I have no interest in buying a PS4 at all.

You assume that just because the PS4 is $100 less, that it will be the clear winner, but you fail to comprehend that people just may not like Sony as a company. The only Sony exclusive to even catch my eye is Uncharted, and I refuse to purchase another system solely for that franchise, after looking at the dust my Vita gathered until I finally decided to trade it to upgrade my OG 3DS to an XL.

Personally, I'm just done with Sony. Their recent "we care about the gamers" is nothing than pandering, offensive condescension, and stupid gamers are eating it up with a spoon.
Damn

Top Bottom