• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whisper it, but Xbox One is finding its stride [EUROGAMER]

I apologize if the tone of my message was offensive or condescending. I suppose that backlash was a pent up rage that accompanies being a Microsoft/Nintendo customer on the Gaf. It was meant to be towards the situation and a group(the Sony fanboys whom 99% of have a superiority complex the size of the Milky Way), and not at any individual. I am tired of being treated with condescension by said fanboys because I do not share their same love of Sony., especially on the Gaf over the last 8 months.

As far as each company aiming for a different demographic, I would like to respectfully disagree. When looking at first party titles, both companies have a racing sim, party games, a big budget FPS, a big budget TPS, and an adventure series. Beyond that, it is all 3rd party content. Content that, before this past generation, you could easily say that Somy had locked up. But with MGS and FF going multiplatform this generation, and most other companies following suit as well, there is not really that much of a difference between the demographic that both company aims for. What it really falls down to is personal preference.

I just really wish that the Internet could understand this concept and like what they like without feeling the need to criticize someone else's personal preference. I accept that some people dislike Microsoft. I understand that some people dislike Nintendo. That's ok, because it doesn't affect me in one bit. I just wish that the hardest of hardcore fanboys of all 3 consoles would simply be content enjoying their system without belittling others for their choice!

I agree with you that both companies, at launch, have very similar game lineups, but when you look at the PS3's entire lineup of exclusives and compare it to Microsoft's you will find that there is a distinct difference in tonality overall in the lineup. The biggest titles where Microsoft puts more of its support behind are the sports games and first and third person shooters. This is what they start or end with at nearly all of their game presentations. To deny this is honestly to lie.

Some of the most creative and innovative games on Microsoft's platform came from small or independent developers. Games like Shadow Complex, Braid and Fez among many others. But during the course of the 360's lifecycle most of the developers behind those titles expressed public disappointment with the terms Microsoft had presented to them and made it publicly aware that there were unreasonable publishing platforms.

Now, with the Xbox One's launch most of those policies have been altered and improved significantly, but it's clear by looking at all three presentations that both companies have had that one of them clearly has more independent developers on its side, even on a platform that has a mediocre install base like the Vita.

From where I'm standing, and I admit that my perspective is biased towards Sony right now, it seems to be that one company is focusing on the great AAA titles that helped make it successful, while the other company is focusing both on the AAA franchises that are successful in its platform and also providing good support and promoting games developer by smaller or independent studios.

Just like me, so far, it seems that the smaller or independent developers that aren't either owned or fully funded by Microsoft seem to be more reticent to support the platform right now, but at this point this may be speculation because they may be working on software but just haven't announced anything. But so far the message that Sony has been broadcasting loud and clear to the gaming market is that they have the best platform for independent developers. Given how many of them have been released in the past months and how many they announced recently, it's hard to argue against that.

In a week we have TGS which will showcase what the eastern developers have in store for next generation of consoles. Given how Microsoft has shown very little interest in that market so far (with the Xbox One), it wouldn't be surprising to a stronger showing of software for the Playstation 4 platform.

I don't think you should generalise people who appreciate Sony's products as mindless fanboys, specially so soon after some of Microsoft's own fans loudly defended some of the very bad anti-consumer measures and restrictions at the unveiling, and weeks following, of the Xbox One.

A lot of consumers simply prefer Sony's lineup, just like you prefer the Xbox One's, and there is also a pronounced number of people who are distrustful of Microsoft right now because of what they attempted to do and the way they communicated with consumers.

As another example, I like Windows Phone 7 but after Microsoft failed to provide support or an upgrade plan for early adopters to get Windows Phone 8 I don't trust that they'll be able to provide me as long-lasting support for any of their smartphone products as some Android phone manufacturers or Apple.

Being distrustful of a company because of their past actions is a perfectly legitimate reason for choosing a product over another. You shouldn't put all of the people who appreciate Sony in the same basket. Most of us have coherent and legitimate reasons for our choice, just like you surely have yours.

I think its kind of interesting the xbox has reverted to being the shooter / sports box that the first xbox was when most 360 people would tell you XBLA was the real reason to own that platform.

They still have a lot to do on the indie front. They need to go out there fix some relationships.
Self Publishing was half the battle, now they just need prove they can treat developers better and we probably wont know that until a few years down the line after games get released and for once its a problem they cant fix by tossing money at it.

Do they really? I understand that a lot of great ideas come out of the indie scene, but I don't think indie games are moving consoles.

They don't even market all of the indie games Sony has been parading around physically in a store. When you are in a store debating what console to buy, you look at the boxed games to help with that decision.

I think the indie dev is sort of a buzz word right now, but I'm not sure it will really determine that much in how well a console sells.

hoos30

Spent most of my time on 360 last gen, Sony has never had a message as vile and corrupting to the spirit of videogaming as what MS has recently tried to pull.

ps3baby.jpg

Portugeezer

For me it started even before the unveiling of the One and it's fucked up policies. The last third of the 360's life cycle it was becoming pretty clear that MS was less about the gamer and more about mainstream and mass media. The first half of the 360 cycle was pretty amazing - but they were a different company back then, or so it seemed like it.

Upper management at MS seem dazed and confused right now over this console they created, and all they know how to do is throw money at the problem.

It was the same exact thing for me.

Then Sony announced the PS4 and I was like "fuck yeah I'm going to get that", Microsoft needed a miracle already for me but then they just fucked up.

I think the PS3 proved that you can sell an expensive piece of hardware and still get a decent chunk of the market. I honestly don't think MS gives a fuck about 'winning' this gen as far as sales go. They've found a comfortable spot where they can charge more than their competitor, push their digital market sales forward and earn a profit at the end of the day.

Competition is good, right?

Edit: Confirmed.
Competition is really good for gaming websites because console war articles get lots of hits.

Many gamers remember when Nintendo effectively had a monopoly during the SNES era. Turns out its extremely awesome for gamers.

Its still somewhat taboo to outwardly show enthusiasm in the community as a result of these turn arounds.

It's not only taboo in the community - I kind of feel bad as a person for being a little excited about it.

I pre-ordered one just a few days ago ( I never would have touched it pre-180) and, quite honestly, I feel like a bit of a sell-out, like I - and we as a community - should make Microsoft suffer actual monetary loss from their horrible stances, instead of just a few months of panicky policy changes.

Nymphae

Banned
Personally, I'm just done with Sony. Their recent "we care about the gamers" is nothing than pandering, offensive condescension, and stupid gamers are eating it up with a spoon.

I love how people use pandering as a negative in this sense. Sony won gamers over by focusing on providing some decent hardware, improving their controller, showing some great looking games, pushing indie titles, and NOT being condescending assholes like MS were around E3 time (don't have internet? suck it and buy a 360). Can you explain where the feeling of condescension from Sony is coming from?

If pandering is now giving customers a good product that they were asking for, pander me up Sony.

Being distrustful of a company because of their past actions is a perfectly legitimate reason for choosing a product over another. You shouldn't put all of the people who appreciate Sony in the same basket. Most of us have coherent and legitimate reasons for our choice, just like you surely have yours.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Being a system administrator, I cannot trust Sony anymore, knowing the lackluster, flippant way they handled customer's data leading up to the 2010 hack. Doing what I do for a living, this incident created a huge breach of trust, and a bond that, for me, will never be able to be repaired. Add this to the fact that I just personally don't care for Sony's first party lineup, and a list of indie games that I would rather play on my PC or Wii U, and I'm left with the sad conclusion that, for the first time in 5 generations, I will not have every console. But as I've previously stated, these are *my* reasons, and I don't expect anyone else to share them with me, not an I interested in converting others to my camp.

Bsigg12

It's not only taboo in the community - I kind of feel bad as a person for being a little excited about it.

I pre-ordered one just a few days ago ( I never would have touched it pre-180) and, quite honestly, I feel like a bit of a sell-out, like I - and we as a community - should make Microsoft suffer actual monetary loss from their horrible stances, instead of just a few months of panicky policy changes.

Liking the Xbox One puts us in the minority unfortunately. It sucks because there are members of the community who will fight tooth and nail to try and make you agree that Microsoft is the devil and the Xbox One is the anti-Christ. Don't feel like a sell out though because you like something that others don't. In the end it's what do you think will provide you the most enjoyment.

WinFonda

Yeah competition is good for everyone, and people picking up an Xbox in November are getting a better console directly because of competition. Under the old policies Xbone would have been completely DOA. But at the end of the day I don't think the product they are offering is as good, so they have a long way to go on price and games yet.

Acheteedo

They definitely won't have a Wii U on their hands. But imo i don't think they'll repeat the same success as the 360.

That seems like the way it's shaping up, but last gen proved that we just can't predict how things will shake out. Who could have foreseen 100M, 80M, 80M for the three consoles??

Gestault

I don't know how they've managed to turn the tide with how little they've actually done but I cannot deny how impressive it is to see. Well done, Microsoft - you're good at this PR stuff!

They've announced a larger launch lineup compared to the competition, their messaging has shifted to communicate more toward early adopters, and the policies that bothered people have been dealt with well before launch. I think that's worth a nod, even if their inclusion of the Kinect2 means a higher price point.

Sony is one dominant generation away from going back to 'get a second job'.

Hopefully this generation is a neck-and-neck race. Then we all win.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Being a system administrator, I cannot trust Sony anymore, knowing the lackluster, flippant way they handled customer's data leading up to the 2010 hack. Doing what I do for a living, this incident created a huge breach of trust, and a bond that, for me, will never be able to be repaired. Add this to the fact that I just personally don't care for Sony's first party lineup, and a list of indie games that I would rather play on my PC or Wii U, and I'm left with the sad conclusion that, for the first time in 5 generations, I will not have every console. But as I've previously stated, these are *my* reasons, and I don't expect anyone else to share them with me, not an I interested in converting others to my camp.

If that is your honest sentiment I think you could have done a much better job of expressing it in a way that didn't alienate everyone that likes Sony or the Playstation 4.

In my opinion you, being a system administrator, should know, even better than others, that no system is flawless. How many zero-day vulnerabilities did Java have in the past couple of years? How many vulnerabilities has Microsoft had over the years?

I'm not saying that their products are insecure, they just happen to be the most targeted ones right now, but time has proven that they are far from flawless in terms of security, in a more pronounced and prolonged way than Sony ever has.

Azih

Price isn't that important if you're going to sell out your first batch anyway (this isn't the WiiU yet).

They will need to either turn Kinect into a wow amazing piece of technology for the mass market (which they could, GAF is very bad at understanding what the mass market finds astounding) or start dropping price by the second Christmas though. Especially in their 'Tier 2' (lol) countries.

SegaShack

Spent most of my time on 360 last gen, Sony has never had a message as vile and corrupting to the spirit of videogaming as what MS has recently tried to pull.

Do you not remember those online passes that were included in all of their 1st party releases for a while? These actually were physically released, not an announced thing that got pulled back due to consumer demand, this was included in many games before they pulled the plug.

They also made the best version of the PSP yet but made it all digital, meaning you can only buy games directly from Sony, no competition, no used games.

I'm glad to see people excited and invested in Sony again (when I had my PS3 for the first few years everyone hated them), but they were never the white knight some people choose to portray them as. Was Microsoft's message terrible? Absolutely. If the system did come out as originally planned would it be awful for gamers? Definitely. Did they listen to the consumers and change these policies before release? Absolutely.

Holding grudges doesn't make sense. When I hear some people say that they want a PS4 because they were mad at the Xbox DRM announcement, I just don't understand it personally. There never was and never will be an Xbox 1 released that has DRM restrictions and online check ins required.

To me personally what the Xbox 1 says to gamers is that you can have a next generation device where you can control it by voice, use a fantastic controller, a great integrated interface, and have an amazing line-up of games.

Microsoft is bringing back Killer Instinct and Panzer Dragoon and also having many other exciting offerings with things like Halo and Project Spark. I am very interested in Xbox 1 mainly for the exclusive titles. Some people are very excited for the Sony exclusives and those interest them more than XB1. It's all about preference. I don't see any company as good or evil, it's the product that matters to me.

Basically to me, a bad idea that was never executed doesn't matter.

Out of interest - have we seen anything tangible concerning 'the power of the cloud' on bettering a games performance (including A.I and whatnot), as Microsoft originally touted?
I'd have thought we'd seen some demonstrations, like a 'before' and 'after' to show how the cloud can be used in development, but I don't remember seeing anything like that at either E3 or Gamescom. Have I missed anything?

Liamario

Banned
Microsoft will get their act together, but their position for me hasn't changed in terms of what my primary console will be. xbone will be for exclusives only and won't be bought for a couple of years.

Out of interest - have we seen anything tangible concerning 'the power of the cloud' on bettering a games performance (including A.I and whatnot), as Microsoft originally touted?
I'd have thought we'd seen some demonstrations, like a 'before' and 'after' to show how the cloud can be used in development, but I don't remember seeing anything like that at either E3 or Gamescom. Have I missed anything?

I'm can't imagine you'd ever see before and after type stuff. I think MS had poor messaging and some outlandish claims for all the cloud stuff especially. It seems to offer some cool gameplay opportunities (Forza and Kinect Sports so far with the AI stuff), but graphics stuff was obviously overstated. If dedicated servers become more common because of it, well that's awesome too.

I'm can't imagine you'd ever see before and after type stuff. I think MS had poor messaging and some outlandish claims for all the cloud stuff especially. It seems to offer some cool gameplay opportunities (Forza and Kinect Sports so far with the AI stuff), but graphics stuff was obviously overstated. If dedicated servers become more common because of it, well that's awesome too.

So the dedicated servers is proof of it? I figured it was, that's cool

Liking the Xbox One puts us in the minority unfortunately. It sucks because there are members of the community who will fight tooth and nail to try and make you agree that Microsoft is the devil and the Xbox One is the anti-Christ. Don't feel like a sell out though because you like something that others don't. In the end it's what do you think will provide you the most enjoyment.

Eh, don't get me wrong. I've had a PS4 pre-ordered since E3. I've owned every console since the SNES/Genesis days, and I was pretty bummed out by having to pass on my first one in so many years, but there was no way I could support MS's crap. Microsoft isn't the devil, but they're pretty scummy these days in regards to consumer rights. I hope the XB1 fiasco helps right their thinking...and I'm afraid that if it sells too well, too soon, that it won't.

TL;DR: Microsoft needs an ass-kicking to knock some sense into them, just like Sony did last gen.

Competition is a good thing.

That having been said, I have NO intention of buying one unless Microsoft really sells it hard. They need to prove that no DRM will slip back in, eventually.

And if I DO buy one, it'll be way down the line.

N.Domixis

Banned
I've met plenty of non gamers that don't even know what a Playstation is, but know what an Xbox is.

I've met plenty of non gamers that don't even know what a Xbox is, but know what an PS3 is. Does not mean anything, the play station brand is a global brand. Xbox is mostly UK and NA. More than half of all 360s were sold in america. If PS4 even manages to slightly sale in even amounts in America, XB1 will lose. But that does not mean it can be successful.

Reg

Banned
Your opinion. One that I do not share, as my X1 Day One Edition is paid in full, whereas I have no interest in buying a PS4 at all.

You assume that just because the PS4 is $100 less, that it will be the clear winner, but you fail to comprehend that people just may not like Sony as a company. The only Sony exclusive to even catch my eye is Uncharted, and I refuse to purchase another system solely for that franchise, after looking at the dust my Vita gathered until I finally decided to trade it to upgrade my OG 3DS to an XL.

Personally, I'm just done with Sony. Their recent "we care about the gamers" is nothing than pandering, offensive condescension, and stupid gamers are eating it up with a spoon.

Some hardcore fanboyism right here.

They haven't gained any momentum in my eyes in fact they've regressed. As soon as they started facing issues they just went back to the same formula that dragged them through the last few years of the Xbox 360.
"Look guys we've got COD with exclusive content!"
"Quick lets roll out another cg fable/forza/halo trailer while we spread the game launches over the next few years."

They haven't gained any momentum in my eyes in fact they've regressed. As soon as they started facing issues they just went back to the same formula that dragged them through the last few years of the Xbox 360.
"Quick lets roll out another cg fable/forza/halo trailer while we spread the game launches over the next few years."

Well they'd have done all of that stuff anyway.
I think the only recent reactionary decision (aside from the 180 stuff) is the FIFA bundle for Europe.
The rotation of Fable/Forza and Halo was going to happen regardless.
We can only hope that the smattering of new I.P MS revealed is a good indication of the future.

There was plenty of new IP announced at E3. Even Fable isn't a true sequel. Sony has also been trumping exclusive content for other third party games.

BillyBats

Banned
I've been saying this for so long! Who gives a sh*t what Microsoft's launch titles look like in comparison to the PS4's? Did you buy a console to play launch titles? If so, for the most part you could stick with the current machines.

What is the 360 famous for, to this day? Halo, Halo, Halo, Gears of War, Gears of War, Gears of War, and having the largest Call of Duty community.

CONGRATULATIONS, Microsoft! Achievement unlocked: 5GP—Mediocrity.

I'm sticking with Sony because time and time again they've proven that they will ALWAYS have the best software lineup by the end of a home console generation. Anyone who's ever wanted to play something other than Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty ought to be able to understand.

I have to say you I don't really agree with your statement, but having Sam Roberts as an avatar you must be a fan of O and A and for that, you're right no matter what.

I never had a problem with MS' policies towards the One. I WANTED all the digital stuff and always online. I knew I had a delicious pizza with the ps4 that was going to offer me everything gaming I could ask for. I'm greedy and I wanted to try a pizza with octopus and cheetos on it, that's what MS was doing for me...giving me a wacky alternative that just might work. It could have failed horribly, but, who cares, I'd have a ps4. I'm still happy that MS is taking some chances and doing something different with the One and I hope they stick to their guns.

Quantum Break? Ryse? Sunset Overdrive? Crimson Dragon? D4? Whatever Black Tusk is working on? Below (timed)?

doesn't seem like regression, far from it in fact.

I've been saying this for so long! Who gives a sh*t what Microsoft's launch titles look like in comparison to the PS4's? Did you buy a console to play launch titles? If so, for the most part you could stick with the current machines.

What is the 360 famous for, to this day? Halo, Halo, Halo, Gears of War, Gears of War, Gears of War, and having the largest Call of Duty community.

CONGRATULATIONS, Microsoft! Achievement unlocked: 5GP—Mediocrity.

I'm sticking with Sony because time and time again they've proven that they will ALWAYS have the best software lineup by the end of a home console generation. Anyone who's ever wanted to play something other than Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty ought to be able to understand.

Nope, the 360 is famous for games like Alan Wake, Crackdown, Viva Piñata, Shadow Complex, State of Decay, Nuts and Bolts, PGR4 and Dead Rising 1.

Top Bottom