• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who Are Your All Time Favorite NBA Players, and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite was easily Patrick Ewing.
Before 1994, I pretty much hated all of sports. Then I played some SNES NBA Jam (lol), started collecting basketball cards with my circle of friends and watched the NBA Finals that year.
Even though the Knicks lost that series, I preferred Patrick to Hakeem because I thought he played harder, had a prettier jump shot and showed more emotion on the court. Pat was just more entertaining to watch, for me. I saw the Knicks as a team of tough guys and hard workers, which was a style I appreciated - and Patrick was their leader.
I stopped watching basketball at a bout the same time Allen Iverson came into the league, but for the years I did watch (as much as I could, pre-internet, from Australia), Patrick and the Knicks were awesome.
My best friends favorite player at the time was Alonzo Mourning. So, the two times the Knicks knocked the Heat out of the playoffs in a game 7, made for a lot of fun for me :)

snacknuts

we all knew her
Reggie Miller by a country mile. I basically stopped watching basketball after he retired. Delighted to see him in the OP and first reply.

JCizzle

0260909001426457880_filepicker.jpg

The Truth!!

You are not. I started watching basketball because of him. I stopped watching after he retired.

The shot

The pass

Brilliant, efficient, tough, down-to earth, modest, loyal, all class. His Hall of Fame speech juxtaposed against Jordan's in the same induction year just says so much about both as people. One of my role models growing up.

Umm, John Stockton was consistently listed as the dirtiest player in the league by the players and coaches. I'm not saying he wasn't fantastic but it's absurd to put him on a pedestal for playing the game 'the right way' in contrast to Jordan.

ViciousDS

Banned
0260909001426457880_filepicker.jpg

The Truth!!

I used to hate Paul Pierce until I watched the documentary on him and realized just how hard of a life he had it, even in the NBA. Getting stabbed and his hardships. I like him a lot and have much respect for him after watching just how much bullshit he dealt with.

Jordan - most dynamic player ever in the history of the league. Would be scoring 70 a game in todays NBA. He schooled even the greatest defensemen in the league back when they could actually put hands on you.

Iverson - had some of the slickest moves I've ever seen. Escapability in traffic, shooting ability, and was almost impossible to guard 1v1.

Nowitzki - just a fantastic PERSON as well as fantastic player. Completely unorthodox and has one of the few unblockable shots ever in the history of the league. Scientifically examined and documented to be unblockable with the turnaround one legged rainbow fadeaway jumper. Also, his championship run of 2011 was one of the most dominating performances in the history of the league. He had to beat Portlands physicality, Lakers with Kobe and Gasol and Bynum and others, Oklahoma with Durant and Westbrook, and then the threesome of James / Wade / Bosh

Matty77

To add to my feelings on Jordan as the G.O.A.T., with all apologies to the superman film for stealing it's tagline, and I am not exaggerating, but watching MJ in the air was the only time I believed a man could fly.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Dominique Wilkins
Hakeem Olajuwon

Hard to narrow it down, but those were probably my favorites overall.

Michael Jordan - for reasons not needed
Shawn Kemp - ferocious dunks and explosive
Allen Iverson - Just fun to watch and carried the 76ers for years
Shaquille O'Neal - Possibly the most physically dominant center ever
Alonso Morning - Great hustle, defense, and rebounding.
Gary Payton - Maybe the best all around point guard I've ever seen.
Patrick Ewing - was the centerpiece of those great Knicks team of the 90s

Tekniqs

MJ - GOAT
Iverson- enjoyed watching that guy play and the heart he displayed
Rafer Alston aka Skip To My Lou - because of what he did for streetball.

ahoyle77

Larry Johnson - growing up as a Hornet Season Ticket owner, his first 3 years were magic. Could have been a hall of famer were it not for the back injury. Met him at movie theater a couple of times...one of the all time coolest guys.

Alonzo- toughness personified.

MJ- GOAT

Shaq- hated him at first, but his personality won me over. Amazed he never lost his cool with the constant fouling he absorbed.

LeBron- maybe one day the GOAT? Most well rpunded an unselfish superstar Ive seen.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Arvydas Sabonis !

I was obsessed with him as a kid. He was unlike any big i'd ever seen before. He could do everything but dribble and run. And that was only because he got to the league well after his prime. And that should tell ya how great he was. He came here with no knees and played 7 solid years of NBA ball.

diehard

Fleer
Stockton

We will never see another player more humble whilst being so good. Dude literally went to the owner in his finals years and just said "give me what you think is a fair contract and i will sign it".

19 years with the same team.. Played with a broken rib.

Gary Payton said Stockton was the only player he wouldn't trash talk.

His HOF speech is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOda65xzpJ0

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Umm, John Stockton was consistently listed as the dirtiest player in the league by the players and coaches. I'm not saying he wasn't fantastic but it's absurd to put him on a pedestal for playing the game 'the right way' in contrast to Jordan.

Hence I said as "people", not as athletes.

The Man Behind the Legend (This reminds me that David Robinson was pretty boss too)

Payton on Stockton

Jordan - the best

Tim Hardaway - crossovers and pull up 3s. Streaky tho

Penny - coolest ever

Jason Kidd - incredible point guard

Wade - in his prime it's impressive the way he penetrated the lanes and was almost unstoppable

Arvydas Sabonis !

I was obsessed with him as a kid. He was unlike any big i'd ever seen before. He could do everything but dribble and run. And that was only because he got to the league well after his prime. And that should tell ya how great he was. He came here with no knees and played 7 solid years of NBA ball.

Some of the best post-passing I ever saw. Dude was a genius on the floor.

genjiZERO

There's nothing more to add about MJ - it seemed liked he never had a bad game, always won, and fun to watch.

My other favorite is Reggie Miller. I always felt the Pacers were the best team of their time (if you factored out the Bulls). He was just so fun and exciting to watch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
bilde.jpg

Laimbeer with the mind games. A style that would sadly never fly in modern NBA. Some people want to call it cheating or bending the rules, but he always knew how to bend them and rarely break them. The perfect defense against athletically god tier opponents was to make them uncomfortable.
tumblr_nmsbdhEtAp1qznj8ho1_400.gif

Rodman with similar reasons. I think Rodman was better athletically and was more entertaining as a character, but he didn't have Laimbeer's vile pro wrestling heel persona.
kareem-sky-hook.jpg

Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Nerf Skyhook. Too op.

Tim Duncan. I'm not even a spurs fan, but the guys a legend. 16 years later and he's putting up better numbers then the first year he went to the finals

CDw5QExWEAAHmPJ.jpg

As a rockets fan though Hakeem Olajuwon is still the best center of all time. Although Duncan could be argued as a Power Forward.

Rodman even went so far as making players question their manhood. He used drive Malone crazy by rubbing up against him, whispering in his ear, grabbing his junk, etc.

Hazelhurst

Michael Jordan - He was so graceful on the court, which made him very fun to watch. He really understood the game and had the skill and athleticism to dominate everyone. Very versatile. He's the best player ever in the NBA.

Steve Nash - A very special player, that he too, completely understood the game. He just didn't have the size and athleticism of Jordan. However, he made due and took home two MVP trophies in his career which is amazing. He was also very fun to watch because of his passing skills, court awareness, perfect shooting, and they way he could read defenses and take advantage. The Suns should have won the championship back in 2007.

Rajon Rondo - Another amazing point guard that just pumps out the triple doubles like they're nothing. His personality hinders him at times, but the guy is so freaking talented.

ViciousDS

Banned
Rodman even went so far as making players question their manhood. He used drive Malone crazy by rubbing up against him, whispering in his ear, grabbing his junk, etc.

He absolutely destroyed Shaq..... And the dude only weighed 218 pounds. In today's bball world I don't think we will ever see anyone as much of a freak as Dennis rodman. A fucking 6 foot 7 center who could destroy 7 foot ones that weighed 100 pounds more than he did.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Anthony Mason - grew up a huge knicks fan as a kid and while Ewing was easily the best player on the team I really loved watching Anthony Mason. RIP.

Steve Nash - probably the most entertaining player I've ever seen in my lifetime. His game was a work of art.

Rashard Lewis - tipped me $100 once and gave me some free tickets more than once. Cool dude.

Jordan cuz Jordan. Rodman because when I was a kid I cared more about getting rebounds than scoring and he played like he was crazy. Nash because he's an offensive God.

Shaquille O'Neal. The dude was unstoppable and watching him dominate everyone was super enjoyable. Even when Shaq was on his last legs Dwight Howard mostly still looked like a soft, underperforming bum playing against him.

Jay Sosa

You mean besides Jordan?

This dude:

HM:

Allen Iverson
Allen Houston
Glenn Rice
Tim Hardaway
D.Miles/basically the entire Clippers team back then
Gary Payton
Reggie Miller
Keith van Horn (don't ask me why)
PJ Brown

They say Scottie Pippen had a big dick but you can't go wrong with Michael Jordan. A prick. But the greatest player ever. I started to watch the NBA in the beginning of the 90's (it was when it started to be broad-casted here) it was hard not to love the dude. He was so good , it was like he was a cartoon. Me being young , it would be impossible not to be impressed.

He can ever wear shit like this that it doesn't diminish him

play_g_jordan_gb2_200.jpg

It's MJ. Just accept it.

Jay Sosa

Damn how could I forget the Admiral. Man I feel sorry for people that didn't grow up during those years. Maybe it's just nostalgia but the NBA was so much more fun to watch back then.

jwhit28

Damn how could I forget the Admiral. Man I feel sorry for people that didn't grow up during those years. Maybe it's just nostalgia but the NBA was so much more fun to watch back then.

It's amazing how Center is the only position that has regressed athletically in the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom