• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether anyone has had games to play or not, there's no disputing that the lineup of true next gen exclusives in the first year has been weak. One of the weakest first years for first party games I can remember for any console.

BokehKing

Banned
Lol in reality, Microsoft shouldn't have released their "killer app" MCC this year, it's a broken mess.

Looks like Sony could have released The Order, but it would have been just as broken as MCC...

people want games, but games take time.

FeiRR

Banned
AAA? So Xbox One has Sunset and Horizon this fall. PS4 has Little Big Planet and Driveclub. MCC is a previous gen port, same as GTA V. Am I missing something here? Where are all these XB games? Utter nonsense.

If PS4 has no games and X1 has even less games, how many games does X1 have?
z3zAfFw.jpg

mejin

So, Microsoft does nothing all year so they could secured more games for holidays and this is "act together". Sony launched Second Son, The Last of Us, First Light, Driveclub. PS4 has better multis and more games launched all year, and still has no games. Interesting.

They sure as hell aren't games you buy a $400 system and a $50 subscription for.

Maybe not the system, but the games are more than worth the sub for me.

I've never felt that my Plus titles on PS4 are worth less than $50, even if we exclude the titles on PS3/V.

Pimpbaa

It's kind of funny because I remember 7 years ago this was the mantra with PS3 too and the PS3's lineup in it's first year or so craps on the PS4's.

PS2's first year (in North America) wasn't that great either, especially compared to the Dreamcast.

It's kind of funny because I remember 7 years ago this was the mantra with PS3 too and the PS3's lineup in it's first year or so craps on the PS4's.

Yeah looking back PS3 had a great 2007: Motorstorm, Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet ToD, Folklore, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgment, Tekken 5 and I'm prolly forgetting a few.

Because in this context people are talking about AAA first party exclusives for the console. Not Tour de France, putty squad, pinball arcade and whatever else fluffs up that list.

I really wish I picked up a Wii U instead of a PS4 and just got a PS4 post bloodborne release.

Even if they talking AAA it's still bullshit since Sony and MS are even when it comes to that .
This article is a joke like most things from the gaming media these days .

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We can't count Indies because ... well they're Indies
We can't count FTP because ... well we just ignore them
We can't count cross platform because they're also on other Sony platforms
We can't count ports because they've already been on other Sony platforms
We can't count exclusives because we personally think they haven't been that good.
We won't even recognise that most exclusives are better on the PS4

SEE! The PS4 has no games.

http://www.listwar.com/released-games/

hohoXD123

Not this shit again. Luckily he doesn't speak for all PS4 owners, I've been happily playing games on there all year, regardless of whether he considers remasters/cross-gen/Indies to be games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
More and more the the slow realization will set in that obviously the stuff the mass market cares about is not the stuff that individual enthusiasts that are mad at the success care about.

I wonder why that is, given the access people had for sales figures for so many years.

Sayad

Found a good deal and bought a PS4 last week, I have yet to buy any game though because, well, there's none that interest me yet. Was trying demos(omg! P.T) for the first day, then went back to PS3, until two days ago when a friend lent me his version of TLoUR. I fully agree with the article, there's not much of reason to pick up a PS4 if you're not interested in better versions of already released games/big yearly AAA releases.

That being said, it will be my main gaming console with the release of GGXrd, and 2015 is looking really good so far.

Rsinart

Yet I use my PS4 almost everyday while my xbox one is sitting with a layer of dust on it. So I disagree, I am much happier with the first year of my PS4 then I was my PS3.

Hubble

Xbox One has far better games than PS4. There is so much pent up demand for a new console that it doesn't matter though. PS4 sells.

Sarobi

Banned
Congrats on your anecdote but you know very well that has nothing to do with the central audience of Playstation.

It may not, but that doesn't mean everyone is mad about PS4 having a lot of indie titles this year. I mean could you imagine what this year would of been like if the system had no indie games at all?

The animosity towards Sony from the anglo-saxon press has been tremendous ever since the PS2 dominated the market. Is it a case of cheering for the home player? Seriously, every issue that plagued MS was -and is, in some cases- obfuscated, while ever misstep of Sony lends itself to a formidable scrutiny.

I never noticed this as much during last generation but yeah.

GeoramA

Stupid bullshit article.

2013 was full of Sony exclusives. Everybody, including Sony knew 2014 was going to be weaker, hence the big marketing deals with Watch Dogs and Destiny. Those ended up selling more PS4s than any first-party game could.

Vein

Banned
Utter crud. Typical media can't stand to see PS4 do well.

Media is weird all around at times. Eurogamer has to be a seriously strange place.

Xbox One has far better games than PS4. There is so much pent up demand for a new console that it doesn't matter though. PS4 sells.

This narrative is so old lol. KZ MP is still fun. Infamous was an all around delight for me, though very short. You have better third party ports all around and Driveclub is one of my favorite games. Of course I like the One as well. But saying one has far better games is ridiculous to me. PS Plus says hello. It's a great system. People like it.

James Coote

Neo Member
Realistically, indies are filler / padding. They give a system (be it PS4 or anyone else) an air of being colourful and varied, but are only going to shift a few tens of thousands of units each, and no one is going to buy a console just for the indie games. This coming from an indie game dev.

As for the op, I broadly agree with it, but I resent the way the media build 'em up and knock 'em down. If it's crap offering now, it was worse back when they were happily hyping it up last year.

I dunno, I've been happy with what I've played this year. Infamous, Transistor, TLOUR, Velocity, and now the Binding of Isaac have all made for a pretty great year for me. I'm generally puzzled by the 'PS4 has no games' narrative.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Not really sure where the idea that the PlayStation 4 has no games has come from. It is pretty clear gamers want next-gen badly because they are opting for both the next-gen version be the more powerful console.

Yes, Sony might not have the biggest selection of exclusives but it is the actual console that is doing the selling in my opinion. We'll see if it can continue that momentum but next year is going to be a whole new ball game.

Philippo

I'm actually satisfied with my time with PS4 (startd in April, so by my first year i'll have played TW3 too), even if most games were cross-gen i don't care. Only big letdown was Destiny.

And btw, can't wait to see what Sony's cooking up for PSX in December, i'm sure it'll shut up everyone.

So, indies, cross-gen games, cross-gen exclusives and games you don't like aren't games. Gotcha. /s

Stupid bullshit article.

2013 was full of Sony exclusives. Everybody, including Sony knew 2014 was going to be weaker, hence the big marketing deals with Watch Dogs and Destiny. Those ended up selling more PS4s than any first-party game could.

And it's been that way for a while now.

2011 = great year for Sony.
2012 = terrible year for Sony except for Journey.
2013 = great year for Sony (PS3 & Vita), mediocre launch for PS4.
2014 = mediocre year for Sony.

Faustek

Uhm...what? I had tons of games...should I read the article or is it more of the same "no games" narrative?

Ok read it. Man that was negative. Like "prepare for accusations of MS bottom B####"

Wow that read really negative. No mention of infamous again I see.
Eurogamer have set themselves up for the Xbox version next week - I can't imagine a glowing 'MS have turned everything around' review would be very welcome in some circles by comparison.
I'd echo other guys here, if PS4 has no games then neither does Xbox. The output is pretty similar. PS4 is a victim of its own early success in that respect I guess.

Sophia

And it's been that way for a while now.

2011 = great year for Sony.
2012 = terrible year for Sony except for Journey.
2013 = great year for Sony (PS3 & Vita), mediocre launch for PS4.
2014 = mediocre year for Sony.

This isn't really exclusive to Sony either. Nintendo follows a similar pattern where they have an off year every other year or two. I imagine the same is true of Microsoft, although I haven't really thought about it much.

You can enlighten yourself by reading the article you're disputing.

This is all it says about indies

You could hardly argue that Sony was on the back foot, though. In Los Angeles in June, it had a solid E3, showing stunning footage of Uncharted 4, announcing Bloodborne, an exclusive game from fan-favourite Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki, and hitching itself to the hottest indie hype train around - Hello Games' dreamy sci-fi opus No Man's Sky. Sony's indie charm offensive was paying off: it hadn't yet brought a true sensation to the PlayStation Store, but the PS4 was slowly collecting a critical mass of cool games like Transistor and Towerfall, and the bigger names were being drawn in in their wake.

And with this little nugget as well

No Man's Sky: a coup - but not a true exclusive.

So, i'm not really sure how that disputes his point. It very much is overlooking indies to complain about where are the gigantic, awesome exclusives that are supposed to sell consoles...well, at least in his view anyway.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Wow that read really negative. No mention of infamous again I see.
Eurogamer have set themselves up for the Xbox version next week - I can't imagine a glowing 'MS have turned everything around' review would be very welcome in some circles by comparison.
I'd echo other guys here, if PS4 has no games then neither does Xbox. The output is pretty similar. PS4 is a victim of its own early success in that respect I guess.

The PS4 currently has 64 more games than the XB1. I wouldn't call that similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom