• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs games: PlayStation 4's first year [EUROGAMER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But PlayStation 4 owners haven't, not really.
Lol.
Whether anyone has had games to play or not, there's no disputing that the lineup of true next gen exclusives in the first year has been weak. One of the weakest first years for first party games I can remember for any console.

Exclusives are not the only games out there, and mostly they don´t drive sales. Multiplatform games are plentiful, and people buy them and buy systems for them. The fact that a lot of people on Gaf think that exclusive is all that matter for a console, is wrong and irrelevant to the rest of the market.

Donos

Sony has had a great year. PlayStation 4 has had a great year. But PlayStation 4 owners haven't, not really.

Sorry PS4 owners for your horrible year...

My buddies who bought their PS4 for FIFA and the house of CoDs don't even know what a Souls game is and won't play Bloodborne ever. And they seem pretty happy...

Exclusives don't move consoles unless it's big selling IP like Halo , Gears , UC or GT .
Seem even the gaming media don't get that people want to play better version of there games the love like FIFA , COD , AC etc etc .
That plus new system better OS wise along with other features .
Truth is i have not played my PS4 much but that all going to change come XMAS time when GG comes out .
I was going to say the same thing

jiggle

Lol EG
So much
ross-salt-shaker-o.gif

My blood pressure

At some point the press are going to have to admit they haven't got a clue as to what games are popular with the public. Most PS4 titles have sold in the millions, get over it.

FranXico

Uhm...what? I had tons of games...should I read the article or is it more of the same "no games" narrative?

The "no games" narrative has evolved into "no worthwhile exclusives" these days. Brought to you by the same people who influence the metacritic average of said exclusives ;)

Yeah looking back PS3 had a great 2007: Motorstorm, Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet ToD, Folklore, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgment, Tekken 5 and I'm prolly forgetting a few.

Yeah, 2007 was actually pretty great in hindsight. CoD4 also that year. I actually played some local 1v1 Warhawk last night just messing around. Man, that was such a good game. It still ranks as one of my best MP experiences of last generation.

The Xbox One and PS4 have been dissapointments for me in their first years, just like the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita were. Then again, that probably has more to do with my tastes then anything else. I have bought and kept BF4 (Xbox One), The Evil Within (PS4), and MGSV (PS4). That's really it when it comes to third party content that's not a free indie game I play for 5 minutes. I have zero first party content in my library. I have sold Sunset Overdrive, Infamous SS, AC:Unity, Killzone: ShadowFall, DeadRising 3, Shadows of Mordor and Alien Isolation. All these games were either just all right or incredibly boring. BUT! Things are looking up with Bloodbourne, Witcher 3, Phantom Pain, and FF Type-Zero early next year. I need me some RPGs and Japanese games :(. I basically only have an Xbox because my friend wants to play with me online lol.

PS4 could become the fastest selling console of all time with no games......can you imagine whats going to happen when it starts getting some games

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The "no games" narrative has evolved into "no worthwhile exclusives" these days. Brought to you by the same people who influence the metacritic average of said exclusives ;)

Yep. They did it with the Vita and it worked but thankfully it looks like it's not going to work with the PS4.

How about we talk about the lack of games on the XB1, baring in mind it has 64 less games.

Sunset and D4? They are two of the best games released this year.

Hahaha. Thanks. I needed that. Seems like a "what have u done for me lately" thing with the gaming press. Q1 and there isn't an Xbox "AAA" exclusive in sight while The Order and Bloodborne come out. Wonder if they will report on this as well.

Best games to whom, can't be people because they have not bought them .
It's like when people on boards was saying how much FH2 going to matter then it came out and sold less that 150k first month .
Funny enough they forgot infamous which sold a million in 9 days .

Sintoid

Once upon a time there were two consoles almost without exclusives but with stupit motion controls that sold better than Sony which spent a gen throwing exclusives on the market and nothing was wrong for eurogamer... Press is shit every day a little more

It's like when people on boards was saying how much FH2 going to matter then it came out and sold less that 150k first month .

Sales? What does that have to do with quality?. Forza Horizon's 2 is a fantastic game.

sunset overdrive, ryse and killer instinct.

Sunset Overdrive is a 82 on Metacritic (80 for Inafmous, so they are comparable in terms of critical reception), but will sell poorly, imo. Ryse is...Ryse, I guess, so I will not comment. Killer Instinct is a good game, but Guilty Gear will be out in a matter of weeks now...

Hahaha. Thanks. I needed that. Seems like a "what have u done for me lately" thing with the gaming press. Q1 and there isn't an Xbox "AAA" exclusive in sight while The Order and Bloodborne come out. Wonder if they will report on this as well.

Q1 2015 has State of Decay and Screamride. Not every release has to be a AAA gaming exclusive for the platform to have exclusives or games worth playing.

That's why I don't agree with this article. It ignores fantastic digital only releases to try and make some stupid point.

You go back to discussing sales. Whilst I wanna play games and not care what's sold what.

I'm loving Sunset and Forza Horizons 2. MCC has been incredibly disappointing on the multiplayer front, but if that ever get's working correctly...

I ask if a Sunset/Forza fall release is entirely different from an exclusive perspective than a LBP/Driveclub fall release? I just don't see it.

I don't include MCC or TLOU because they are remastered games.

Codeblue

This is all it says about indies

And with this little nugget as well

So, i'm not really sure how that disputes his point. It very much is overlooking indies to complain about where are the gigantic, awesome exclusives that are supposed to sell consoles...well, at least in his view anyway.

The article was the year in review, and they very much did acknowledge indie games in that paragraph and attributed some of the PS4's success to them while also making it clear that it there's still more big indie games on the way.

In any case, his post would seem to indicate that the author didn't acknowledge indies at all, which it did.

My overall point though is that you should read before you dismiss something. We interpreted the paragraph two different ways, and that's cool and we can talk about it because we both read the same thing. I'm not going to sit here and interpret an article for someone who doesn't want to read it, because my summary is going to be colored by my interpretation.

Yeah all I play at the moment is FH2 and also started with Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC.

On my PS4 I play mainly Diablo 3. It's not that there are no games, just not many exclusives right now that I'm intersted in.

Usobuko

Banned
I actually hope to see the press who value quality* exclusives give Wii U a push and better coverage over Xbox One.

*indicated by the much beloved metacritic

Sendou

If it's bad for the PS4, it must be terrible for the XB1. Hardly any games at all on that system.

Both are very lacking. Just because one is worse than the other doesn't mean both can't be bad. If I had to pick one console to buy now it would be XB1 though so I guess it's not all so clear cut.

allftw

Neo Member
Even allowing for DriveClub, and PSN's ups and downs (mostly downs), and those damned rubber sticks, Sony has had a great year. PlayStation 4 has had a great year. But PlayStation 4 owners haven't, not really.

I actually did have a pretty great year but thanks anyway for speaking on my behalf.

AngryMoth

I've been itching to get one all year but yeah there just haven't been the games to justify it. Bloodborne was my 'I need to have a PS4 when this comes out' game but with the delay now I guess it's the Witcher 3.

Famassu

2012 = terrible year for Sony except for Journey.
Lulzwutz? Ps3 was weaker, but that's probably mostly because they went all out with Vita

Everybody's Golf 6
Gravity Rush
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Motorstorm RC
Super Stardust Delta
Wipeout 2048
Unit 13
Sound Shapes
Little Big Planet Vita

2012 was a pretty awesome year from Sony if you don't exclude portables.

d9b

Banned
What an utter load of nonsense - I expect more from euro gamer.

I've been playing games all year on mine. Either exclusives, or the best versions of multi-platforms. That's why I bought it.
Lol, same here I agree. Article is pure flame / click bait.

Realistically, indies are filler / padding. They give a system (be it PS4 or anyone else) an air of being colourful and varied, but are only going to shift a few tens of thousands of units each, and no one is going to buy a console just for the indie games. This coming from an indie game dev.

As for the op, I broadly agree with it, but I resent the way the media build 'em up and knock 'em down. If it's crap offering now, it was worse back when they were happily hyping it up last year.

What the shit is this. If you actually were an indy dev, you would not be calling indy games a filler, especially when plenty of them are higher quality than AAA games.

Lulzwutz? Ps3 was weaker, but that's probably mostly because they went all out with Vita

Everybody's Golf 6
Gravity Rush
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Motorstorm RC
Super Stardust Delta
Wipeout 2048
Unit 13
Sound Shapes
Little Big Planet Vita

2012 was a pretty awesome year from Sony if you don't exclude portables.

If you were a Vita owner 2012 was a good year. For PS3 it was an off year. Just like Nintendo has with 3DS and WiiU.

Suzzopher

Resogun, Velocity 2X, Rogue Legacy, Towerfall and Transistor are some of the best games I've played in many many years. I am saddened to see that these are not games :(

geordiemp

Not many games exclusive released on either system since release that are noteworthy.

Sorry, I don't do sub native on my TV, my eyes are good and I have a nice TV LOL.

May as well stoop to the level of the thread

Them not selling well doesn't diminish the fact that they are exceptionally good games. After all, some of the best games ever released (like Dragon's Dogma) sold like shit.

Doesn't make that game any less incredible, it just means that the market was blind to its greatness.

Sunset Overdrive is a 82 on Metacritic (80 for Inafmous, so they are comparable in terms of critical reception), but will sell poorly, imo. Ryse is...Ryse, I guess, so I will not comment. Killer Instinct is a good game, but Guilty Gear will be out in a matter of weeks now...

And we'd need thousands of hands to count the number of truly great games that have gone on to sell terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom