• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Nintendo never release the 3DS ambassador GBA games on Eshop for sale? Or what is with the lack of GBA/VC stuff period.

Quite possibly one of the most dumbfounded Nintendo moves of all time. Why this never happened when they seemed to run perfectly on 3ds.

That or the lack of Nintendo doing anything at all with GBA games, period. The Switch is perfect console to port so many great classics on being portable. I can get missing out on some DS or 3DS games due to dual screen mechanics or stereoscopic 3D. But there's zero reason to deny GBA.

I honestly am starting to suspect that it's tied with Nindie support, that Nintendo has an idea that if they flood the switch with classics that it will affect indie sales. Or maybe the idea that indie developers will be more reluctant to release titles since they don't want to compete in the price point of Nintendo classic games.

With the 3DS at least it's still baffling that it never happened. I mean it's possible that they left it as something as an exclusive for the Wii U to give an incentive to buy it since it was struggling.

Because the PSP exists, so what is the point?

Seriously, though, the reason Nintendo gave was that they wanted the GBA games to run as 3DS software with VC features (one save state slot mainly), but they were unable to do so for some reason. IIRC, the GBA games activate "DS Mode" as if they were carts being played in the original DS line.

It sounds like BS to me, especially with the New 3DS. I was lucky enough to buy an Ambassador 3DS off EBay for cheap becaue the seller did not know how rare it was (I looked up the serial number on Nintendo's website to verify before purchase) so I have one. I never see a hick-up or error in any of the games, and I'd be fine just buying them in that form.

Because the PSP exists, so what is the point?

Seriously, though, the reason Nintendo gave was that they wanted the GBA games to run as 3DS software with VC features (one save state slot mainly), but they were unable to do so for some reason. IIRC, the GBA games activate "DS Mode" as if they were carts being played in the original DS line.

It sounds like BS to me, especially with the New 3DS. I was lucky enough to buy an Ambassador 3DS off EBay for cheap becaue the seller did not know how rare it was (I looked up the serial number on Nintendo's website to verify before purchase) so I have one. I never see a hick-up or error in any of the games, and I'd be fine just buying them in that form.

How did the GBA ambassador games run on the 3DS comparative to it's VC implementation on the Wii U? If you played both.

I'm still curious about the Switches lack of VC, I can understand why they don't want to put NES or SNES games on it due to the classics line. Still makes me wonder about GBA, I highly doubt they're going to release a GBA classic in a portable forum with pre-loaded games on it.

How did the GBA ambassador games run on the 3DS comparative to it's VC implementation on the Wii U? If you played both.

I'm still curious about the Switches lack of VC, I can understand why they don't want to put NES or SNES games on it due to the classics line. Still makes me wonder about GBA, I highly doubt they're going to release a GBA classic in a portable forum with pre-loaded games on it.

I've just played them on 3DS. I haven't bought anything on Wii U VC at all; last thing I even played on it was Bayonetta 2. Thankfully pretty much everything good has been/is being ported to 3DS or Switch, so it'll just be my back-up Wii >_>

TLZ

Banned
Because they might want to put all these games under their vc service they're planning to launch at some point and milk it as much as possible.

iidesuyo

They probably wanted to keep it exclusive to early adopters who felt burned for buying the 3DS for the original price, as a reward.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cause it looks like shit and is def NOT nintendo quality .. yoshi's island looks like a blurry mess

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I have my 3ds XL with my ambassador games on it. I never knew they were collectors items lol

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
What’s even more baffling is they released gba games on Wii U. They released originally portable games on a non-portable system but didn’t release them ok their portable system.

That and the embassador games never releasing. I just don’t get them sometimes.

What’s even more baffling is they released gba games on Wii U. They released originally portable games on a non-portable system but didn’t release them ok their portable system.

That and the embassador games never releasing. I just don’t get them sometimes.

I'm not gonna lie, I've thought about tracking down a GBA SP just to play some GBA games since afaik most emulators are still not a perfect representation of GBA games.

ObscureProject

Neo Member
The emulation was pretty bare minimum. You couldn't access any of the systems functions (I always wanted to use the note taking app for certain games, something I valued a lot when playing games like Zelda). It was just a sort of quick "get it done" kind of thing.

It's neat, but yeah, not really the most ideal way to play those games.

Smasher89

I wonder if that wario vs donkey kong game really sounded like the ambassador version, because i remember that as very low quality for being a title like that!

bufkus

makes me glad I was an early adopter, as I have all of the ambassador games.

i barely use my 3ds though. hopefully it'll never die on me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The GBA Virtual Console games had significantly less functionality than other Virtual Console games (no savestates, no sleep mode, not 100% perfect emulation, etc.), so they weren't in a state where they really should be sold when they came out. It was a nice little bonus.

However, why they didn't eventually clean up the emulation functionality and plop them on the VC for sale is beyond me. Like someone else said, their decisions behind VC completely boggle my mind.

With regards to the Switch, I suspect one of two possibilities. Either 1. They're giving Nindies a chance to shine before rolling out a standard Virtual Console (I doubt this), or 2. The Virtual Console concept is going to be completely revamped. It's going to be subscription-based, similar to Netflix, and will feature rotating games. It'll be launched alongside their online service. This would not only explain the delay (of both VC and whatever their online service is), but also help to not compete for direct sales against eShop games and Nindies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i guess it gives you bragging rights as you can play 1 extra zelda main game on the hand held. but it looks like crap and its blurry

zelda
zelda 2
link's awakening
oracle of seasons
oracle of ages
that shit ds game
that other terrible ds game
link's awakening
a link to the past
ocarina of time
major's mask
a link between worlds
aaand minish cap.

damn the 3ds really has the most zelda games

Hulk_Smash

Banned
i guess it gives you bragging rights as you can play 1 extra zelda main game on the hand held. but it looks like crap and its blurry

zelda
zelda 2
link's awakening
oracle of seasons
oracle of ages
that shit ds game
that other terrible ds game
link's awakening
a link to the past
ocarina of time
major's mask
a link between worlds
aaand minish cap.

damn the 3ds really has the most zelda games
You forgot one. Leeeeeet’s say it togetherrrrr...

TRIFORCE HEROES

Oh and hyrule warriors

Z..

I got a DS Lite and it's perfect.
Somewhat true. For many games, this is perfectly accurate and true. For many others, though, the A and B button placement on the DS kind of ruins it. Platformers/action platformers and the like... Castlevanias, Mega Man, Mario, etc etc feel very awkward to play on a DS. However, stuff like Fire Emblem or RPGs are perfect on a DS, yes.

Somewhat true. For many games, this is perfectly accurate and true. For many others, though, the A and B button placement on the DS kind of ruins it. Platformers/action platformers and the like... Castlevanias, Mega Man, Mario, etc etc feel very awkward to play on a DS. However, stuff like Fire Emblem or RPGs are perfect on a DS, yes.

That's true and it's very unfortunate that you can't change the buttons, but the GBA SP personally is a very poor fit in my hands. Even with the bad button placement, I still think the Lite is a better option for me, but I can see why anyone who doesn't have a problem with the SP's shape would prefer it.

The absolutely God mode option is modding the OG GBA with the 101's screen. Those are extremely hard to come by where I live and fuck me if I ever learn how to do that myself lol. The OG GBA is still by far the most comfortable handheld Nintendo has ever made.

Z..

That's true and it's very unfortunate that you can't change the buttons, but the GBA SP personally is a very poor fit in my hands. Even with the bad button placement, I still think the Lite is a better option for me, but I can see why anyone who doesn't have a problem with the SP's shape would prefer it.

The absolutely God mode option is modding the OG GBA with the 101's screen. Those are extremely hard to come by where I live and fuck me if I ever learn how to do that myself lol. The OG GBA is still by far the most comfortable handheld Nintendo has ever made.

I've gone through 3 101s. There's gotta be something wrong with those original screens, they all keep getting moisture trapped INSIDE them which basically ruins them permanently without recourse (I'm quite an experienced modder, so I know what I'm doing). Weirdly only happened to the original 101 screens. My original SP, the 101s after getting replacement screens and all my DSs, 3DSs, PSPs and Vita are all completely fine despite being stored in the exact same place. I don't even live in a humid place or anything so I really don't understand what could be causing this.

For reference, this is what the moisture looks like:

1019117vspi.jpeg

You can still use it, but the screen is all blotchy.

I've gone through 3 101s. There's gotta be something wrong with those original screens, they all keep getting moisture trapped INSIDE them which basically ruins them permanently without recourse (I'm quite an experienced modder, so I know what I'm doing). Weirdly only happened to the original 101 screens. My original SP, the 101s after getting replacement screens and all my DSs, 3DSs, PSPs and Vita are all completely fine despite being stored in the exact same place. I don't even live in a humid place or anything so I really don't understand what could be causing this.

For reference, this is what the moisture looks like:

You can still use it, but the screen is all blotchy.

Little bit late to reply to this, but holy shit I honestly had no idea this was an issue with 101 screens. So if you're like me and you're unable to reasonably replace screens, you could be screwed if you go that route. It's honestly amazing how many options you have for playing GBA natively and yet none is ideal, which by itself is not unlike the PSP in that every model had a particular issue and then the following iteration solved that issue, but created other problems. The difference is that the issues on the GBA are way harder to get around, it's just not a very approachable console nowadays.

Top Bottom