• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proxy

If you read Marcus Beer's twitter, the issue at hand seems to be Sony's press only event that happens on Nov 11-12th.

https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer

My speculation: Maybe most media websites are not getting a free PS4 sent to them, and they have to attend the event to experience the PS4 for the first time.... and it would only be days before the console launches.

I'm pretty sure I remember Jeff Gerstmann saying they (Giantbomb) had a pretty good idea when they were getting their PS4s on the latest UPF.

Curufinwe

Gemüsepizza;87642217 said:
From what I read at the other thread, it seems it's because he did not get a PS4 devkit for capturing, and he can't capture with retail PS4s because there you cant turn off HDCP at the moment (will be patched later). But there are cheap HDMI splitters which can strip the copy protection, and it seems he doesn't know about this.

Surely it's not just that he's unaware of HDMI splitters?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yeah, seems like Microsoft is likely in full damage control mode following the debacle earlier this year. There's no way it is Sony, the PS4's share button means there will be PS4 footage all over the internet hours after the system launches.

Doesn't the xbox have the same feature?

Red Mage

-Journalists are mad about something
-Cant talk about it because they aint journalists.
-Complain about it on Twitter without being clear on what is going on, includes embarrassing tweet of a journalist's wife using his account to complain about how corporations ruined their weekend.
-Seems the issue is a big deal to them and not to us, which is why is a big fucking deal to the guy that had no problem with Xbox One DRM measures.

You forgot to add that Albert said it has nothing to do with MS., which means it very well mean it could have something to do with MS.

pants

No, the problem is that it doesn't exist.

We can want it to exists all we like but it doesn't, and I don't see it existing anytime soon. I'd rather just accept this and view this part of the industry in that context than be upset but their trivialities.

newsguy

3seDpUA.jpg

To be fair, the question marks are probably less "what's Sessler talking about?" and more "who the hell is Adam Sessler and who cares."

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does anyone listen to rebel FM?

Now something Mitch Dyer on there keeps saying makes sense. He kept saying he was buying a retail xbox one for work. And he wouldn't go into details. He also said he had no choice about what system he was getting at launch.

I'm assuming this is somehow related to this.

Lettuce

Guess everyone will start to use DailyMotion then, ive always said its better than YouTube thanks to it not locking videos are 30fps or below, just needed more exposure. Now maybe it will get it if YouTube continue to be massive cocks

Investigative journalists - We have none of these in the industry
Journalists - We have a couple willing to ask the hard questions
Reporters - We have many of these, reporting on the latest game releases and news
Critics - We have tons of these reporting their opinion on the quality of games

The problem here is you guys are expecting a) and b) from the industry, and it doesn't really exists.

Good post.

People in this industry on all sides need to be aware that not all the writing you read is from the same type of writer.

Chris R

Sony seemed like it could do no wrong until the last few months. They need to get their stuff together and fix there problems...

Sony seemed like it could do no wrong until the last few months. They need to get their stuff together and fix there problems...

Apart from one or two delayed features, Driveclub being delayed and (apparently) holding a review event, I can't really see how they're doing that badly, especially not in comparison to their competition from both parties.

Lettuce

Surely it's not just that he's unaware of HDMI splitters?

Yeah i have such a device, just a normal HDMI Splitter just a nice side effect that for some reason its strips HDCP, PS3 games in HDMI goodness all the time for me and same for the PS4 as well when i get one, fuck you Sony!!!!

valouris

Investigative journalists - We have none of these in the industry
Journalists - We have a couple willing to ask the hard questions
Reporters - We have many of these, reporting on the latest game releases and news
Critics - We have tons of these reporting their opinion on the quality of games

The problem here is you guys are expecting a) and b) from the industry, and it doesn't really exists.

But why doesn't it exist? It certainly can.

(I am reposting this from my post on another thread.)

Why can't there be a website of such journalists? They wouldn't care if they get preview builds, presskits, shit like that, they would just do what we are talking about right now. I would bookmark that site, I would go to town with it. I would click all their ads. I would donate. I would even kickstart the damn thing. There would be plenty of backlash, but they would also have lots of street cred.

Companies would either

a)be even more secretive, but risk even more in case there was a bad leak (which there usually is), or
b)actually refrain from making bullshit and anti-consumer moves and decisions, in case there was a bad leak

IMO the industry would be a better place.

Is it for the money? Is it for the early access to cool new games, tech, and insider knowledge? What is it? Is the money THAT much? Is it that much worth it?

If some people in the press really wanted to do sth like that, they could. They would make less money, but if they did it right they would get by. And if they got big enough they would be pretty safe financially. And they could single-handedly change the face of the industry.

Trigger

I love the Sess, but he should just spill it or be quiet. Vague passive agressive tweeting doesn't help anyone.

To be fair, the question marks are probably less "what's Sessler talking about?" and more "who the hell is Adam Sessler and who cares."

lol, very true.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Marcus Beer responded:

https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer/status/394278752550522880

Brad Gallaway ‏@bradgallaway 13h
@PeteSkerritt i've been away from twitter all day. What's the new negative xbone story?

Marcus Beer
‏@AnnoyedGamer
@bradgallaway @PeteSkerritt it's not Xbox

and the reddit link suggests both Arthur Geis and Sessler are hinting at something in the industry hitting the fan:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1pabs0/adam_sessler_and_polygon_founder_arthur_gies/

no idea wtf is going on, but that's a breakdown of what is occurring... i guess

Flumpeh

Neo Member
Hm.

There's far too much silence on all of this. Is it bad for journalists? Sony? Microsoft? Consumers?

It's weird that Sessler and the other dudes are complaining when they/their companies have the power to say no to this stuff if they feel like it's wrong.

If they all say no, surely Sony would need to reconsider or go without coverage? Which is just another weird part of this whole thing.

Dead Man

Shouldn't you put the blame on everyone here and the OP making a big deal about it? It's not like he put out a press statement to the whole world and told NeoGAF to make a 21 page thread about this. It's his Twitter, if you don't like it then ignore it and don't bother to post about it.

It is his twitter, but it is also public and a venue for his work related comms as well. If he didn't want people talking about it, he should have not posted it.

Does anyone listen to rebel FM?

Now something Mitch Dyer on there keeps saying makes sense. He kept saying he was buying a retail xbox one for work. And he wouldn't go into details. He also said he had no choice about what system he was getting at launch.

Are they no longer giving out debugs to reviewers?

Yep, that's Mitch Dyer. With every XB1 possibly being a dev unit with some configuration from MS's end, I think they might not be giving out many units.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Marcus Beer responded:

He posted in another thread:

Hi all, took me a while to remember my password or I would have jumped in sooner.

Its not just about the games, its reviewing the actual system 2 days before the damn thing ships.
Something feels off right now to be honest & a lot of people are pissed about it.
If you have seen anything I have done over the last 8 months, you will know I have been very happy with the way Sony has been doing things but now its time for them to shit or get off the pot and they are being damn evasive about allowing serious access to the system before launch.
I have mine preordered (ditto XboxOne) & if that is the only way I will get to have said access to the PS4 then so be it.
When people delay access to something, game or hardware, it's never for a good reason in my experience.

My money is on YouTube saying "no more ads IN videos that we can't profit off / have no measure of checking if you're giving us the right cut".

Would make perfect sense... wasn't Sess making an argument against AdBlockers lately? I bet this was because he feared this was coming already back then, ...because Rev3 then would have to rely completely on the money they get from YouTube's own ad-system, which probably a lot of his audience is blocking... so even though the view-count is ok, the money isn't enough for them to stay more professional than angry joe and the likes.

EDIT: If it WAS the review EVENT, would Sess really be talking about leaving the industry?! That wouldn't make sense... not to me at least.

Shouldn't you put the blame on everyone here and the OP making a big deal about it? It's not like he put out a press statement to the whole world and told NeoGAF to make a 21 page thread about this. It's his Twitter, if you don't like it then ignore it and don't bother to post about it.

He knew exactly what he was doing as soon as he posted those comments, same with Gies and his bullshit I-know-something-you-don't-know-here's-a-hint rhetoric. Next gen is a hot topic right now and the slightest controversy is guaranteed to cause a huge buzz on sites like this. There IS no ignoring it.

Globox_82

Banned
That guy should have provided a link to the conversation in question, or whatever the Twitter equivalent is.

someone did provide neogaf link, look at comments bellow that "?????". He never replied back. Personally I don't give a shit if Adam can't edit vids or whatever. It doesn't affect me as a gamer.

On the other hand 720 vs 1080p, framerate and other tech(that affect gamer) issues is what I care about.
Of course Gies, adam and other MS shills try to find a problem where there is not, while putting bigger more serious issues on x1 under the rug.

no idea wtf is going on, but that's a breakdown of what is occurring... i guess

Didn't Marcus already posted here and explained that Sony's review event thats taking place 2 days before the launch is what this is about? I'm confused and lost.

I think what's happening is that smaller reviewing sites and critics are asked to go to the review event while the bigger sites are being sent consoles and games for reviewing purpose. They must be mad about not being part of the crew recieving the consoles since they'll be forced to review the game at a much faster rate than others.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Hi all, took me a while to remember my password or I would have jumped in sooner.

Its not just about the games, its reviewing the actual system 2 days before the damn thing ships.
Something feels off right now to be honest & a lot of people are pissed about it.
If you have seen anything I have done over the last 8 months, you will know I have been very happy with the way Sony has been doing things but now its time for them to shit or get off the pot and they are being damn evasive about allowing serious access to the system before launch.
I have mine preordered (ditto XboxOne) & if that is the only way I will get to have said access to the PS4 then so be it.
When people delay access to something, game or hardware, it's never for a good reason in my experience.

Is this what Adam is crying about? The review event?

komplanen

I'm just going to say that if this amounts to fuck all except a particular bunch of entitled enthusiast pressers being butt hurt over nothing, I ain't even a tad surprised. Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo have no obligation to provide every egotistical personality with a review unit. That's just my two cents. It could be something else though but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom