• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

$h@d0w

Maybe Sessler should do some games "journalism" and write an article about it.

Oh wait, he's afraid of upsetting the large corporation.

Journalism.

Same fucking story when the rumors about PS4 HDMI capture started.

Sessler crying on twitter for a few days and not actually trying to get to the bottom of the story or talking to people in the know.

He's one of the few people who has access to folks in the know and all he does is whine on Twitter.

What a baby.

My guess is the Sony review event?

That isnt until a few weeks. BF4 and COD and AC4 had review events this week. Maybe its something to do with one of them.

I guess Sony had that preview event this week but I am 99% it wasnt a review event.

So are YouTube jockeys about to have to get real jobs?

Someone needs to tell Sess its a little silly to be complaining about job security as a youtuber.

Trying to make a permanent living from youtube seems like a giant gamble with the way polices and money shifts on that site.

Dead Man

Marcus Beer says its about having to review games at review events
https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer/status/394346837697503232

Which is reasonable to be upset about, if only every single idiot writer/blogger in the indsutry hadn't already done it at one time or another to get their day 0 exclusives. Just wait until the game releases if you don't want to participate in that sort of shit.

Still sounds like it can't be just that unless it is being blown way out of proprtion with these tweets.

I feel like if this really effected the consumer he'd just tell us so we can bitch and whine about it till it's fixed. But I have a feeling it's more about making money through launch reviews ect..

Also, stop giving Kevin Dent the light of day, the guy is a nobody tool.

soultron

Banned
Marcus Beer says its about having to review games at review events
Let's set up a situation where journalists and/or reviewers don't want to go to review events since it's against their own or their outlet's code of ethics. If this is the case, I'd love to see some of the "journos are hacks" arguments fall to the wayside, because it seems that not wanting to review a game at an event paid for by the publisher is a pretty honourable thing to want to do for your audience. Especially if the timeframe doesn't allow them to fully assess the game or the environment isn't conducive to proper reflection and critique.

Domino792

If true I have no sympathy. You want these early review clicks/views or day 1 you should expect publishers to try some shady stuff. If you don't like it turn it down and review on your own time.

My thought exactly. If it upsets them so much that they have to cause nonsense on twitter, dont go. And review it when you get the console.

can someone explain exactly what a "review event" is. They HAVE to review games based on what they see at the event only? lol I dont really get it

Samyy

This fits with what Jeff was saying about only effecting sites who will be reviewing all the launch games. Must have to be specifically about the Sony review event that sites were getting invites for.

Why? 90% of the PS4s games will have reviews up and ready before the event. The only ones that could be affected are Killzone and Knack

Darksol

It's a dude whining about his potential lack of monetization opportunities due to changes with HDCP. I just don't understand why anybody cares. Arguing about resolution, frame rates, and things of that nature I get it to an extent...but Sessler's capture card woes?

cdkee

Banned
Here's how it's going to be though: if you choose not to review at the review events, you lose views to those who go out early and play the game there.

So basically if you want to do it properly, you're fucked?

Minions

So it is about having to review the launch games at the Sony Event?

That is just for launch.... No way in hell they would do it for all games launched? I guess he just doesn't want to review "staged" games.

I don't see how this is a quit my job issue though. It is a short term issue.... just at launch?

So it has nothing to do with this,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87628981&postcount=1056

Coverage and video:

I am 100% sure that Microsoft will get a ton more coverage than Sony. There is no conspiracy theory here, the simple truth is that Sony are providing one debug unit to one video outlet in North America (I don’t know about the rest of the world) and only a select few “wordy/written/text” based outlets.

And before the question is asked, I don’t actually know why Sony doesn’t want established video outlets to have access to video footage of their console before or after launch. It has never been done before.

In my mind this is a huge mistake and I seriously doubt that, that decision was made in SCEA, but rather at the HQ in Japan. The folks over there need to settle down and have a box of juice or something, because as someone that develops games, I want to get in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

I don’t know the reason behind this, but I do know that it is like giving Xbox a free advertisement on every 3rd party game review until Sony completes their inevitable…../Drum Roll 180.

The other reason behind this is that until Sony allows video capture with unrestricted HDCP, reviewers won’t actually be able to review third party games on the PS4 as they will want to do post production.

That said, Sony are not stupid, they have already said that they will remove the HDCP restrictions –to paraphrase “We get it, you want this and we will resolve this issue after launch”.

In the meantime, any blogger, youtuber or video reviewer will be able to slap an Elgato capture card on their Xbox One and do their reviews on the Xbox SKU.

Hence, free ad’s

I really, really hope Sony HQ comes to their senses on this, because this was just stupid on their part and I know a LOT of SCEA guys who are frustrated.

On the flip side with the Xbox you can capture from day one.

Actually you can capture on both devices on day one, but if you want to do post production i.e. voiceover or edits –as most journo’s need to do, hence the video element of the review- you have to use the Xbox.

JDSN

Banned
So this is about the publisher controlling the method of review with bloggers whinning about it while not making a clear stand on it? Do some journalism and talk about it.

No reapect nor sympathy if this is it, didnt see much bitching when they all reviewed GTA IV at a five star hotel.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Someone just fucking say it. All this beating around the bush, hints, piecies of info on official twitters is worse than an anonymous letter with ALL the questions answered posted where the hell ever right now written in a plausible way.

Or give CBOAT all the info to type.

Joco

Considering how much Sessler is seething, I'm thinking we're looking at the wrong source. Aside from MS and Sony, the other big companies that could cause this much strife is EA and Activision. With Battlefield 4 just a few days away, that leaves Activision and CoD Ghost.

Considering Gies and Sessler are the ones in charge of reviews, my guess is that they got the call from Activision that IGN is going to have an exclusive early review of CoD Ghost. Maybe a week before it comes out. I remember Sessler mentioning how he hated exclusive reviews and this maybe the last straw.

I don't know. Sure, COD is as big as it gets, but it's only one game. I don't think Sessler missing out on an early review of COD is making him worried about his livelihood.

If this is about a 3rd party publisher, it's EA. No doubt in my mind.

badb0y

Is this about the Sony review event? If so can't you just wait 3 days and buy it from the store and do your review if you don't want to go to Sony's event?

I swear they made it sound like someone got killed.....Jesus.

If I am to comment on a game or system, I need to install/ set up said product myself. Don't let me do it? I get mighty suspicious.

Let me clarify 1 thing, it's not about "video capture issues", it's about evaluating things in staged environments.
Don't trust staged shit.

https://twitter.com/AnnoyedGamer/status/394348293934702592

Sounds like something to do with review events.

This???

3.jpg

badb0y

So it has nothing to do with this,

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87628981&postcount=1056

Right now most outlets are capturing in 720. So you play the game at 1080P and capture at 720 to reduce the bandwidth needed for the upload/download. This is 100% up to the publisher and NOT the console guys.

The logic here is that more people will be inclined to upload smaller files, thus more eyeballs.

I have played a single game in 1080P. If a publisher decides to go that route, they just hate money and you as gamers should punish them for it by not buying their game. $60? As a gamer I say “NO THANKS DAD, I AM A 1080P THUG”.

Coverage and video:

I am 100% sure that Microsoft will get a ton more coverage than Sony. There is no conspiracy theory here, the simple truth is that Sony are providing one debug unit to one video outlet in North America (I don’t know about the rest of the world) and only a select few “wordy/written/text” based outlets.

And before the question is asked, I don’t actually know why Sony doesn’t want established video outlets to have access to video footage of their console before or after launch. It has never been done before.

In my mind this is a huge mistake and I seriously doubt that, that decision was made in SCEA, but rather at the HQ in Japan. The folks over there need to settle down and have a box of juice or something, because as someone that develops games, I want to get in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

I don’t know the reason behind this, but I do know that it is like giving Xbox a free advertisement on every 3rd party game review until Sony completes their inevitable…../Drum Roll 180.

The other reason behind this is that until Sony allows video capture with unrestricted HDCP, reviewers won’t actually be able to review third party games on the PS4 as they will want to do post production.

That said, Sony are not stupid, they have already said that they will remove the HDCP restrictions –to paraphrase “We get it, you want this and we will resolve this issue after launch”.

In the meantime, any blogger, youtuber or video reviewer will be able to slap an Elgato capture card on their Xbox One and do their reviews on the Xbox SKU.

Hence, free ad’s

I really, really hope Sony HQ comes to their senses on this, because this was just stupid on their part and I know a LOT of SCEA guys who are frustrated.

On the flip side with the Xbox you can capture from day one.

Actually you can capture on both devices on day one, but if you want to do post production i.e. voiceover or edits –as most journo’s need to do, hence the video element of the review- you have to use the Xbox.

CBOAT called him a clown so I don't believe in anything that guy says.

Dead Man

Someone just fucking say it. All this beating around the bush, hints, piecies of info on official twitters is worse than an anonymous letter with ALL the questions answered posted where the hell ever right now written in a plausible way.

Yeah, all this mystery shit is just stupid. If there is a policy you don't like, explain what it is and why you don't like it. Even if you are negotiating with a company, you either explain what your public statements are about, or you shut the fuck up.

SRTtoZ

My guess EA or Activision.

The more I think about it the more I agree. We all know Ghosts is having issues with framerate and even hitting certain resolutions, what if they set up consoles to review but they are really pc's? Thus making the reviews a bit staged.

I think people are being misled into thinking this is a Sony thing but instead is a really big publisher thing.

SeanNaess

Neo Member
That isnt until a few weeks. BF4 and COD and AC4 had review events this week. Maybe its something to do with one of them.

I guess Sony had that preview event this week but I am 99% it wasnt a review event.

That makes more sense actually. I guess it's difficult for an outlet based entirely on videos to review video games at a review event. Unless they are provided with generic footage from the publisher itself. Even so, It may be an ethical issue. Perhaps Adam doesn't agree with review games in a controlled environment?

Spongebob

Banned
Cross-post from the other thread:

...wait.

Wait a minute.

If this is a Sony thing (or hell, a third party thing), and Gies was asked NOT to talk about it and has been keeping it from us, the general public, why in the fuck is he revealing the information about a competitor to Albert Penello, of all people?

How the hell is this ok in this industry?

Gies is passing off NDA'd information from Sony to a MS employee SMH, and in a rather public fashion.

MKP64

This is why games journalism is dumb. Sessler and his colleagues know the truth but aren't saying anything.

CBOAT and Mort both called Dent on this BS. Dent is an MS cheerleader, even if anything he says is true, it's firmly wedged between other fanboy lies and word twisting.

Ok,

Latest Tweet from Marcus,

Marcus Beer ‏@AnnoyedGamer 3m
That's all I have to say for tonight. I'm off to my bed. Catch you in the morning folks.

Here's how it's going to be though: if you choose not to review at the review events, you lose views to those who go out early and play the game there.

So basically if you want to do it properly, you're fucked?
Since when does being first even matter that much? Don't we all have reviewers the views of whom we trust and in whom we put more faith?

I mean, especially at launch, haven't we all pre-ordered based on hype anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom