• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I buy the Sony HDCP thing, unless Sess is being a drama queen

There are a number of ways to get around the HDCP and Sony already said they will remove it.

Maybe it's no more youtube moneyz???

Well someone send Sess a link for a HDCP stripper just in case

LetoAtreides82

Neo Member
If this IS about review events, I'm actually kind of cool with this.

Film studios get to restrict early access to movies to specialized events under very specific conditions... why shouldn't game publishers be allowed to do the same thing?

Now I'm not saying you're going to get the "full" picture of a game under controlled conditions and I can understand some grief from journos if they're denied specific access to parts of a game or specific game modes.

Fine... stagger your reviews then. Release Part 1 of your review based on the controlled exhibition of the game you received at their "review event" and then release Part 2 of your review a week later when you've had a chance to mess around with the game on your own after release when you're not so confined and restricted.

Completely agree, and IGN has already done staggered reviews, usually on big mmorpg titles.

j-wood

I've been off GAF all day but sign onto this craziness. What is going on? Gies spilling sony NDA info to MS? Sessler quitting? Can someone give me a summary?

DarkFlow

Banned
If I had to guess, a company in the industry is trying to alter the media's use (monetization) of video footage of games. Sessler trades on this alone really, so it would effect him in a big way. Someone like Jeff Gerstmann or Arthur Gies might not be as bothered because, ultimately, they're writers, so they can possibly trade on that alone, should worst come to worst.

Again, I'm guessing entirely.

You use that term loosely.

Justin

I'm sorry, are you trying to tell me that Jeff went to a Battlefield/COD event that was intended to provide the attendees with material for a game review?

Well I dont know much about the COD review event but we know the BF4 one was 3 days long.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If this IS about review events, I'm actually kind of cool with this.

Film studios get to restrict early access to movies to specialized events under very specific conditions... why shouldn't game publishers be allowed to do the same thing?

Now I'm not saying you're going to get the "full" picture of a game under controlled conditions and I can understand some grief from journos if they're denied specific access to parts of a game or specific game modes.

Fine... stagger your reviews then. Release Part 1 of your review based on the controlled exhibition of the game you received at their "review event" and then release Part 2 of your review a week later when you've had a chance to mess around with the game on your own after release when you're not so confined and restricted.

You know that bugs me. I live in the Midwest and I see tweets or hear about early screenings of movies or test centers for fighting games. If you don't live around the area no one cares. They shouldn't have their foot in their mouths. They tried to put an end to piracy and all they did was promise DLC with prebought season passes. I say the gaming industry will reflect on video game policy until the cycle can repeat itself like the movie or music industry.

Whether it's a Sony or Microsoft review event, I have some advice to any self-respecting game journalist or website. Just say NO. Stand and be counted. It's not hard. Say NO. Anyone posting launch game reviews or previews after or during this event will be among the list of game sites or publications I do not trust. Grow some fucking balls and have some professionalism.

Fallom

Banned
Well I dont know much about the COD review event but we know the BF4 one was 3 days long.

The BF4 review event? The "review" event"?

Again, I really want to be sure you're telling me that Jeff went to a review event. I suspect that we won't be seeing a "BF4 Review!" pop up on the site as a result of Jeff's travel.

A lot of people in here talking about how making YouTube videos is not a lot of work. Well I spent 4 days editing down a 10 minute video and it sure felt like work to me.

Didn't even upload the video cause I cant think of anything to say in the VO

UberTag

You're either ignoring or missed:

1. Famous Mortimer's line by line annihilation of Dent's entire unfounded post
2. CBOAT dismissing him as a clown

They certainly thought a great deal of what he had to say was complete BS.
Dent has even less credibility than Gies. He should be largely ignored by anyone that isn't already doing so.
Nobody worth listening to ever prefaces their first and last name with the word 'The'.

Tripon

Jeff Gerstmann isn't that worried because he knows he can find an another job in the industry if he wants it, probably move on to TV and join Spike's TV crew, or something similar if he really wanted to do that.

I've been off GAF all day but sign onto this craziness. What is going on? Gies spilling sony NDA info to MS? Sessler quitting? Can someone give me a summary?

A bunch of industry people are overreacting to non-events. Sessler isn't quitting, he was just suggesting this could spell the end of his revenue stream. Nothing uncovered so far could do anything like that.

Big fuss about nothing. A review event for a console launch...

I guess playboys wanted a free launch PS4 each on the spot at home to play the kideos by themselves. It's not ideal but holy hyperbole at how this affects somebody's livelihood. Unless Adam was simply blacklisted because of his Xbox Live is free and PSN is paid for lil stunt.

RE_Player

I like knowing the inside baseball as much as anyone on this forum but if you want me to feel for you on a personal level by making vague tweets due to review events, company policies, ad revenue, views etc. than I'm sorry I just can't. I'm sure the days leading up to and at launch are stressful for people like Adam and others in the gaming press because they want to have good coverage yet hit at the most opportune time for clicks but as a consumer I can be patient and look up real footage on and well after launch.

LetoAtreides82

Neo Member
Not sure I buy the Sony HDCP thing, unless Sess is being a drama queen

There are a number of ways to get around the HDCP and Sony already said they will remove it.

Maybe it's no more youtube moneyz???

Well someone send Sess a link for a HDCP stripper just in case

Even in his youtube video in which he claims you can't capture PS4 game footage day 1 because of HDCP people told him in the comments section that you can circumvent HDCP but it seems as though he either doesn't believe it is possible to circumvent or he's choosing to ignore the fact that it can be circumvented.

Megasoum

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann isn't that worried because he knows he can find an another job in the industry if he wants it, probably move on to TV and join Spike's TV crew, or something similar if he really wanted to do that.

Jeff is not worried because GB doesn't really care about reviews. He said on multiple occasion that if he could do it without destroying the relations with publishers he would just stop doing reviews completely. He thinks they are useless nowadays that we have podcasts and quicklooks (I agree).

They are not planning on reviewing all the launch games so they don't care about not going to a review event.

Also Jeff said on Unprof Friday yesterday that they know exactly when they will get PS4s which could be because he knows they won't get any before the review-event (or launch if they don't go to the event).

Dead Man

I like knowing the inside baseball as much as anyone on this forum but if you want me to feel for you on a personal level by making vague tweets due to review events, company policies, ad revenue, views etc. than I'm sorry I just can't. I'm sure the days leading up to and at launch are stressful for people like Adam and others in the gaming press because they want to have good coverage yet hit at the most opportune time for clicks but as a consumer I can be patient and look up real footage on and well after launch.

Pretty much.

Off topic, but I feel like Sessler would resort to Spike TV before Gerstmann.

It was only a matter of time before publishers took greater control of the review media for their games. The Sony event is just the start.

It can't be this right? Or could it?
3.jpg

Grief.exe

Big fuss about nothing. A review event for a console launch...

I guess playboys wanted a free launch PS4 each on the spot at home to play the kideos by themselves. It's not ideal but holy hyperbole at how this affects somebody's livelihood. Unless Adam was simply blacklisted because of his Xbox Live is free and PSN is paid for lil stunt.

I doubt that is what it is about. These sites would not be saying it effects their livelihood because they didn't get a free PS4.

They should be refusing those types of handouts anyways.

megamerican

No wonder they're being so cagey. This is pretty petty if they are this upset about going to a one time event for a major console launch.

Samyy

I doubt that is what it is about. These sites would not be saying it effects their livelihood because they didn't get a free PS4.

They should be refusing those types of handouts anyways.

Don't all reviewers have steam press acounts where they can play any game for free?
I remember hearing this on Rebel FM. I don't think anyone refuses handouts.

ogmaster

Banned
Here's the thing. I doubt it has to do with YouTube monetization. Fact is, Google is bigger than any of the companies involved. Also, Fair Use trumps pretty much everything legally. Not only that, you would hear a LOT of shit coming down from the BIG YouTube personalities that have a lot of money at stake.

Secondly, I don't think it has to deal with capturing footage. Fact is, you can make a video review of a game without capturing game footage. When I get review copies, publishers provide me with assets that include several minutes of gameplay footage. In the end, the review is about Sessler's thoughts on the game rather than what's actually showing on the screen.

fade_

I'm pretty sure it's just a launch event...not something for EVERY game that will ever come out in the future. That is insane.

Tripon

Off topic, but I feel like Sessler would resort to Spike TV before Gerstmann.

And I feel Spike would rather have Gerstmann than Sessler at the moment.

Gerstmann's "Like I give a fuck" attitude fits Spike much more than Sessler's "I am going to be neurotic for the next five minutes" state of mind that he inhabits in his video these days....

Replicant

Is this about the Sony review event? If so can't you just wait 3 days and buy it from the store and do your review if you don't want to go to Sony's event?

I swear they made it sound like someone got killed.....Jesus.

Yeah, I don't get it either. And I don't get how this would affect his livelihood. So dramatic over something seem at the most, inconvenient. And besides, I thought many PS4 reviews are coming out before this.

JDSN

Banned
Really glad mortimer and cobat quickly put down kevindent down, it irked me to see his sexist self-important self posting on the forum I love.

Maybe I just don't see this but how exactly does this affect Adam? Is this about journalistic integrity and Adam not willing to compromise on his reviews or something?
Oh, he is compromising from the sound of it, just very loud.

fade_

Yeah, I don't get it either. And I don't get how this would affect his livelihood. So dramatic over something seem at the most, inconvenient. And besides, I thought many PS4 reviews are coming out before this.

They are, it really must be something else. If not then wow.

Somebody knowledgeable of this issue should just nut up and say what it is.. It's difficult for me to panic w/o knowing what is there to panic about. Who knows maybe a Sony event is not as evil as the ones from activision or rockstar (or it could be worse). But until those cryptic people dont say it as what it is, it will be difficult for them to have my support.. I really doubt all of this is due to a silly HDCP issue or something. Because if it is then sony is setting themselves for failure all for an issue that is not even worth anyones time.

If they're scared of getting sued for stripping HDCP to capture 5 second snippets of gameplay for a youtube video review they really don't deserve to stay in business. Sessler has the least of all of them to worry about with Discovery as his parent company.

taizuke

All this time Sony has been basically on perfect streak ever since the PS4 February reveal... only to fuck it up so close to launch? That sucks...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Don't all reviewers have steam press acounts where they can play any game for free?

That's a bit overreaching I think.

I believe the press accounts are set up so that any publisher can put their games in it and anyone with a press account gets access to it. It's definitely not a free for all where you get access to all games for free.

Schnozberry

Sessler is right to be upset about the potential loss of hits for such a large industry event, but there were clearly better ways to handle it. For instance, smoke some weed and forget about it until Monday when you have a chance of getting an answer without resorting to a cry for help on twitter.

RulkezX

So is it EA?

https://twitter.com/jackfrags
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703957&highlight=battlefield+4+direct

That guy got to go visit DICE directly to get direct feed footage of X1 / PS4 footage for his youtube page which will be out on Oct 29.

This was my guess , guys like Jack Frags and Level Cap get a lot of view, if publishers start giving them early access for reviews and stuff then guys like Sess are screwed.

Edit : How can it be about a Sony review event... The Sony embargo drops a week before that event.

Tripon

Wow the amount of people that were jumping down MS' s throat earlier in the day without any proof whatsoever. This is hilarious.

Considering CBOAT confirmed that there's more to the XBOX One we haven't seen yet, there are multiple stories running at the same time.

It's annoying how defensive Arthur Gies gets on Twitter. You guys are yelling fire but refusing to tell us where it is. Expect people to question you or don't fucking talk about it so cryptically in a public space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom