• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you don't need game reviews in your life

FeiRR

Banned
I've been reading the Eurogamer vs The Order thread and I'd like to share my opinion on the gaming media in general. Since I started reading GAF, I pretty much abandoned any other gaming outlets for gaming content. Even before that, I just kept to the news about upcoming releases and didn't care to read reviews for years. For me, it's just a waste of time, because:

Game review quality is terrible nowadays
I think that a game review (or any review in general) should contain useful information for the reader who most probably is reading it to solve a dilemma: to buy or not to buy the game. However, I think the reviewer's task is not to convince the reader this way or another but rather to provide them with as much information as possible to decide for themselves. That information should include (please add to the list if you can think of something):
- detailed description of the game mechanics (genre, interface, what the game rewards you for and what not, how you can win, is it difficult, are save points automatic and how often, etc.) - for example I can skip a game with too scarce save points because I don't have time for long gaming sections
- length of the game on normal difficulty (very important for me, also because of time constraints), length of the game to 100% completion - by the way, there is a very useful site with that information: howlongtobeat.com
- if the game has online, how it works (detailed times, preferably measured with a stopwatch, to get into the match from matchmaking, lag - if given by the game, any connection issues, the size of community) - of course this section cannot be written at launch but should be added later, for example after one week since the release
- technical side of the game: engine, resolution, framerate, if it has screen tearing, what rendering techniques it uses, how well it runs on given hardware (if not a console review), any encountered bugs
- story: if it has story or pure gameplay, ratio of cutscenes vs gameplay, if cutscenes have QTEs

Most game reviews completely ignore the above or dominate the facts with personal opinion of the reviewer which I couldn't care less about. At the end of the review there's usually a score which is the worst part because it simplifies the whole idea of a review to a single digit (and metascore is even worse). I understand that reviewers want to add some personal touch to their reviews and want to express their opinion. Fine, I'll just skip it. Why you could, too?

You're probably an expert in video games
Yes, I know the meme but think for a moment: how long have you been playing games? How many games have you finished/played? Do you have your own taste, favourite genres and series, etc? If your hobby is gaming and you're dedicated to it, you are probably at least on pair with the person who wrote the review, if not better. Why should they dictate what you play?

Why should I care about the opinion of people I don't even know?
You probably have friends who play games. Some of them may have the game. Ask them about it. You will know if their tastes are similar to yours. If they are and they like the game, there's a high chance you will like it too. You have GAF. Go to OT of the game and read opinions. I find those very useful. Okay, I don't know most people here either but after reading 20-30 impressions and hands-on from fellow users, I have a better picture than after 2-3 reviews by big gaming outlets. Use your own judgement and intellect, draw an average ranging from hype to dissing and decide whether you like a game or not. You don't necessarily have to enjoy the same kind of games your friends or people on forums consider great. But do experiment, try genres you never touched before.

Watch gameplays
I find gameplays much more useful than reviews simply because they don't try to impose any opinion upon you. Just watch some and see for yourself if you like the game. Try not to spoil it too much, of course. And remember that watching somebody play the game is not the same as playing it. Many games I watched on Youtube or Twitch didn't click with me until I tried them. If you are a Playstation gamer, ask people to allow you to SharePlay. It's a great feature which allows you to taste a game. I think I read somewhere that it's also coming to Steam (?)

Don't be afraid, it's just money
This may be a bit tricky because it depends on your financial status. If you have money to spend on games and consider it an important hobby, hell - why not? I buy a lot of games and rarely regret my purchases. Very few games I have were a complete waste of money. Some of them are great for their story, graphics, gameplay, online, coop with friends, etc. There are no perfect games, most of them have bugs. Don't chase the ideal, be satisfied with what you can get. If you are more money-cautious, don't jump on the hype train: wait for sales, buy used, buy retail and sell them towards future purchases after you've finished playing. Don't be lazy and trade them at Gamespot - use auctions, portals for game swap, etc. But before you get rid of them, try to finish your games. If they're not completely broken and irritating, most games give you satisfaction when you finish them. If they have good mechanics and bad story - crank up the difficulty and face the challenge. If the story is interesting but gameplay mediocre - go through them on easy, relax and enjoy the story/visuals. And finally, if you can afford it, just collect experiences, play as many as you can, maybe get trophies/achievements if you like them. Compete with friends - who levels up faster, who first reaches 100%, etc. There are much more ways to enjoy games than games tell you.

I could go on but I've probably scared off enough people with my wall of text at this point. If you're still reading it, I'd welcome your opinion. This is how I approach games nowadays and I find much enjoyment in my hobby. I'm not going to say "You should do alike" because that's the whole point of my rant: nobody should decide for you what you want. But if you do (or don't), how about discussing it?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't read reviews, you wouldn't want all those marketing money to be wasted in vain because of a bad review. Trust the publisher. Don't doubt the publisher.

So you're saying "Don't listen to their opinion" - by asking us to listen to your opinion.

People discover & evaluate games in different ways. Some want to watch gameplay. Some want to read a critical analysis. Some listen to friends. Some want to put their money down ASAP, and ride the hype train.

No one method works for everyone. This isn't a question with a definitive answer.

Reviewers can only provide their opinions.

Game reviews shouldn't be consumer product reviews.

Find reviewers you like and sync with or listen to podcasts and know their styles. Podcasts and video looks are better formats for learning about a game than text reviews anyway.

Wanchan

I don't read reviews, i usually feed myself with bullshots and GAF Hype until i buy a game and get disappointed.

THRILLH0

Banned
Not a great post. I love reading other people's opinions on the media I consume.

If you're over the age of 14 you should be capable of understanding that a review is not supposed to be a quantitative deconstruction of a game's quality.

RSP

1 bad review = "dunno, might hold off on this one"
1 friend recommends the game = "I'll buy it at a high price!"

Dunkley

Some people base their buying decision on reviews, others don't.

Some people base their buying decision on any other factor, others don't.

That's not anything new, game reviews could be just as bad in magazines and TV as they are nowadays on the internet.

PS: Keep in mind that gaming is not something closed off, there are people of all ages being new to games and thus not everyone can be expected to be an "expert" as you say.

Moff

I agree, I stopped reading reviews with the ps2/xbox/cube generation.

I dont blame them, journalists are in a very tough spot. they cant alienate both their readers as well as the companies who place ads in their magazines or on their website. but both is actually very bad for the quality of journalism.

the other reason is that I simply am able to judge a game very well from videos, screenshots and developer commenatries. over 20 years I have developed a sense that allows me to filter out all the bullshit. as a result, I am very rarels disappointed by a game. I usually know exactly what I'll get.

plus: I just value message board opinions much more. i dont care if they are not well written. I want to hear the opinions of gamers. of people who care. it's much more useful to me than the opinions of journalists.

that's the reason why I have bought maybe 3 magazines in the last 10 years and read maybe 1 or 2 reviews on a website a year.

geordiemp

Totally Agree OP, I read a number of reviews and just mark them down as a persons opinion.

I tend to use Digital Foundry to get the facts of how the game runs, ignoring the opinion bits. So tearing, stutter, frame rate and resolution is at least attainable from facts.

After a few days its easy to read opinions from players to get an idea of length _ finished it in 8 hours, or I racked up 90 hours in single player....Also you can watch streams to get a feel for gameplay...

I've been reading the Eurogamer vs The Order thread and I'd like to share my opinion on the gaming media in general. Since I started reading GAF, I pretty much abandoned any other gaming outlets for gaming content. Even before that, I just kept to the news about upcoming releases and didn't care to read reviews for years. For me, it's just a waste of time, because:

Game review quality is terrible nowadays
I think that a game review (or any review in general) should contain useful information for the reader who most probably is reading it to solve a dilemma: to buy or not to buy the game. However, I think the reviewer's task is not to convince the reader this way or another but rather to provide them with as much information as possible to decide for themselves. That information should include (please add to the list if you can think of something):
- detailed description of the game mechanics (genre, interface, what the game rewards you for and what not, how you can win, is it difficult, are save points automatic and how often, etc.) - for example I can skip a game with too scarce save points because I don't have time for long gaming sections
- length of the game on normal difficulty (very important for me, also because of time constraints), length of the game to 100% completion - by the way, there is a very useful site with that information: howlongtobeat.com
- if the game has online, how it works (detailed times, preferably measured with a stopwatch, to get into the match from matchmaking, lag - if given by the game, any connection issues, the size of community) - of course this section cannot be written at launch but should be added later, for example after one week since the release
- technical side of the game: engine, resolution, framerate, if it has screen tearing, what rendering techniques it uses, how well it runs on given hardware (if not a console review), any encountered bugs
- story: if it has story or pure gameplay, ratio of cutscenes vs gameplay, if cutscenes have QTEs

Most game reviews completely ignore the above or dominate the facts with personal opinion of the reviewer which I couldn't care less about. At the end of the review there's usually a score which is the worst part because it simplifies the whole idea of a review to a single digit (and metascore is even worse). I understand that reviewers want to add some personal touch to their reviews and want to express their opinion. Fine, I'll just skip it. Why you could, too?

You're probably an expert in video games
Yes, I know the meme but think for a moment: how long have you been playing games? How many games have you finished/played? Do you have your own taste, favourite genres and series, etc? If your hobby is gaming and you're dedicated to it, you are probably at least on pair with the person who wrote the review, if not better. Why should they dictate what you play?

Why should I care about the opinion of people I don't even know?
You probably have friends who play games. Some of them may have the game. Ask them about it. You will know if their tastes are similar to yours. If they are and they like the game, there's a high chance you will like it too. You have GAF. Go to OT of the game and read opinions. I find those very useful. Okay, I don't know most people here either but after reading 20-30 impressions and hands-on from fellow users, I have a better picture than after 2-3 reviews by big gaming outlets. Use your own judgement and intellect, draw an average ranging from hype to dissing and decide whether you like a game or not. You don't necessarily have to enjoy the same kind of games your friends or people on forums consider great. But do experiment, try genres you never touched before.

Watch gameplays
I find gameplays much more useful than reviews simply because they don't try to impose any opinion upon you. Just watch some and see for yourself if you like the game. Try not to spoil it too much, of course. And remember that watching somebody play the game is not the same as playing it. Many games I watched on Youtube or Twitch didn't click with me until I tried them. If you are a Playstation gamer, ask people to allow you to SharePlay. It's a great feature which allows you to taste a game. I think I read somewhere that it's also coming to Steam (?)

Don't be afraid, it's just money
This may be a bit tricky because it depends on your financial status. If you have money to spend on games and consider it an important hobby, hell - why not? I buy a lot of games and rarely regret my purchases. Very few games I have were a complete waste of money. Some of them are great for their story, graphics, gameplay, online, coop with friends, etc. There are no perfect games, most of them have bugs. Don't chase the ideal, be satisfied with what you can get. If you are more money-cautious, don't jump on the hype train: wait for sales, buy used, buy retail and sell them towards future purchases after you've finished playing. Don't be lazy and trade them at Gamespot - use auctions, portals for game swap, etc. But before you get rid of them, try to finish your games. If they're not completely broken and irritating, most games give you satisfaction when you finish them. If they have good mechanics and bad story - crank up the difficulty and face the challenge. If the story is interesting but gameplay mediocre - go through them on easy, relax and enjoy the story/visuals. And finally, if you can afford it, just collect experiences, play as many as you can, maybe get trophies/achievements if you like them. Compete with friends - who levels up faster, who first reaches 100%, etc. There are much more ways to enjoy games than games tell you.

I could go on but I've probably scared off enough people with my wall of text at this point. If you're still reading it, I'd welcome your opinion. This is how I approach games nowadays and I find much enjoyment in my hobby. I'm not going to say "You should do alike" because that's the whole point of my rant: nobody should decide for you what you want. But if you do (or don't), how about discussing it?

Excellent post.

Some people are just seeking confirmation bias though.

MetalDeer

I'm pretty superficial about picking what games I buy, in a way. I just look at some gameplay videos or screenshots and if I say to myself "Oh, this looks cool", sometimes I buy it. Pretty simple, really.

I guess I could read reviews to get an idea of the gameplay, but it's faster to just watch a video or something. Plus, I don't care about the opinion of some person I've never met, honestly.

SeanTSC

They haven't been in my life for years now anyways. I know more than enough about a game before it's out to know if I want to buy it or not and typically buy around 4 new releases a month. I think I bought 6 this November.

There's so much info out about games now pre-launch and I know my own tastes well enough and know developers well enough that it's pretty damned easy to make an educated guess as to whether I will enjoy a game or not long before release. I've also never been burned by this because I don't jump on crazy hype trains and develop outlandish expectations for games (and I'm fairly easy to please as well).

A developer would have to be a complete unknown and their game would have to have next to no information out about it for me to actually wait on another person's feedback before buying it.

The level of information I need also depends completely on the developer and type of game that it is. Bloodborne? From Software was enough of a sale just from the name. Add in the first trailer for it and there was no way I would not get that game Day 1. The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4, Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid V, Atelier Shallie, Tales of Zestiria, Final Fantasy Type-0, Xenoblade X, Zelda U, etc are all no brainers for me that I barely need to see anything for them to know that I will love the fuck out of them.

In contrast, stuff like Dying Light and Dead Island 2 I'm more wary of, but I've learned a lot about Dying Light and it's a Day 1 for me now too. Dead Island 2 I'll probably buy, but I am going to be looking for more information on it. The Division is also another game I'll be watching for a lot more information on, but it's definitely a high possibility that I'll be getting it.

mike4001_

I do not agree.

Of course if I am really looking forward to a game I will buy it regardless if it gets an 80 or 90 metacritic.

But if a game is in the 70 region than there is obviously some major flaw in the game and I will look twice if I get it.

Thats also why I basically wait for the Metacritic score, because then the individual opionions are kind of filtered out and I get a more objetive view of the games quality.

Enco

Never read reviews. Too boring and time consuming.

I used to watch video reviews and still do a bit. I mostly base purchases off gameplay and lets play videos.

I don't agree with your last point though. It's not just money. Unless if you're a billionaire, money does matter. If I pay for a piece of shit game, I've supported a bad publisher and/or developer. I've also wasted money that I could have spent on something else.

If I dislike a game, I won't play it for the satisfaction of completing it. I don't like wasting my time.

Yoday

I agree completely OP. I haven't bothered with reviews in years, and they have only gotten worse and less relevant. Times have changed and I feel that reviews simply don't matter as much as they once did. Going onto YouTube and watching an hour or two of a game is significantly more useful than reading the opinions of a few reviewers. I have been playing games for so long that I know what I do and don't like, and a simple demonstration of a game is all I really need to make a purchasing decision. I simply don't need the opinion of a reviewer when I can watch an hour or so of gameplay and decide if it looks interesting to me or not. These days I only really look to impressions and reviews for information on how long a game is, and if the game has enough bugs or performance issues to keep it from being playable. Other than that I may go to metacritic to get a general idea of a games quality if I see something on deep discount that I hadn't followed previously.

SeanTSC

I'm pretty superficial about picking what games I buy, in a way. I just look at some gameplay videos or screenshots and if I say to myself "Oh, this looks cool", sometimes I buy it. Pretty simple, really.

I guess I could read reviews to get an idea of the gameplay, but it's faster to just watch a video or something. Plus, I don't care about the opinion of some person I've never met, honestly.

Hah, that's pretty much how I feel about The Order. "This looks pretty. I'm going to buy it, because it's pretty". And that's really all the reason I need sometimes.

Protome

Sorry, I disagree completely. Your first point in particular comes way to close to the "Objective review" nonsense that I've seen some people try to bring up recently. Reviews are inherently about the opinion of the reviewer, a good one will explain what they liked in a game and what bothered them in it and from that you can make your own decisions on how you would receive those things.

As for things like screen tearing etc, reviewers mention it when it bothers them, most people tend not to notice or care about it unless it explicitly gets in the way. If you want a full technical analysis for a game there are articles for that, reviews don't need that content unless it had a relevant impact on the reviewers experience.

What people really need to do is stop overreacting like this to reviews/previews and learn to accept that other people have different opinions and just because yours don't align with popular reviewers it doesn't inherently mean their reviews are bad.

ctothej

Don't read reviews, you wouldn't want all those marketing money to be wasted in vain because of a bad review. Trust the publisher. Don't doubt the publisher.

This.

Unless I watch a shit ton of gameplay videos, all I'm going to see are the trailers the publisher put out. As OP mentioned, even gameplay videos aren't a great indicator of whether a game is fun. I never would have bought games like XCOM or Dark Souls if I hadn't read the stellar reviews (and thank god I did).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol. That anonymous guy with an anime avatar said the game is great, trust him (or her because I'm not sure which)!

This reasoning makes no sense whats stopping people looking at all sources of information.

You can't say do bother with these people opinions look at these without being intellectually dishonest. Surely the person can sort through information by themselves unless your hoping to manipulate them.

sublimit

Banned
I have stopped paying attention to reviews (and especially review scores) many years ago.
The reasons?
1)Most likely the reviewer's POV in what he/she actually cares to criticize differs from mine.
2)Very different tastes in art and gameplay design.
3)Lack of trust.

I trust more my instincts that have been culminated by a gaming experience that goes over 25 years and my own judgement of reading about gameplay information,watching gameplay trailers and the developer's history.
I also know a few people on various forums in the internet (including GAF) whose opinions i value as well as a few people who work in 2 small websites i visit.

Marvel

could never
My main reason for not reading them anymore is these days I go dark on most highly anticipated titles. I feel written and video reviews spoil too much. I went into Dragon Age blind and thus far I am so damn happy for having done so.

I always used to find them more irritating than useful anyway.

rjcc

you should write a review of a game and post it here.

edit - also. No one needs this list of reasons. I mostly don't read reviews, but sometimes I do. I think as an adult that's played games for three decades (and read game reviews for most of that time) I can figure out when I need a little more information about a game and when I don't, and how relevant any particular review is to my personal viewpoint.

Thrakier

One has nothing to do with the other. Not reading commercial reviews doesn't mean that you are making an uninformed decision. I'm reading forums mostly.

Reviews are dead to me since TLOU (and before, honestly). What a desaster that not ONE reviewer was able to comment on a framerate which was utter shit. Unbelievable and makes you question what these people even know.

Cfer

Neo Member
"Why you don't need game reviews in your life"

The operative word. Other mediums have managed to maintain objectivity.

I personally trust nobody when it comes to reviews of media I consume.

I don't even trust myself.

... but am I truly real?

don't listen to the lies

Vodh

"Why you don't need game reviews in your life"

The operative word. Other mediums have managed to maintain objectivity.

What other mediums? Off the top of my head I can mayyybe single out books. Film and music reviews are just about the same quality when it comes to 'objective' information and being relevant to you - and by that I mean you can find some critics that have tastes aligned with yours and trust them, but blindly clicked reviews are just as useless. Sometimes they're written better, but that's about it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What other mediums? Off the top of my head I can mayyybe single out books. Film and music reviews are just about the same quality when it comes to 'objective' information and being relevant to you - and by that I mean you can find some critics that have tastes aligned with yours and trust them, but blindly clicked reviews are just as useless. Sometimes they're written better, but that's about it.

ITT Don't trust other peoples opinions on thing.

Eventually they'll come a point for you were other peoples opinions will be quite valuable in decision makin, especially in projects and variables too large to rely only on your own.

kyser73

I have stopped paying attention to reviews (and especially review scores) many years ago.
The reasons?
1)Most likely the reviewer's POV in what he/she actually cares to criticize differs from mine.
2)Very different tastes in art and gameplay design.
3)Lack of trust.

I trust more my instincts that have been culminated by a gaming experience that goes over 25 years and my own judgement of reading about gameplay information,watching gameplay trailers and the developer's history.
I also know a few people on various forums in the internet (including GAF) whose opinions i value as well as a few people who work in 2 small websites i visit.

This pretty much. I haven't bothered with reviews since Zzap!64. There are game types I don't enjoy generally, some that a very good example of, I'll consider picking up and others where it'll have to be a disastrously bad example of not to glean something from.

If a new game with an interesting idea/mechanic comes along (Journey, The Tomorrow Children) I'll give it a crack (I do miss demos sometimes) and I'm lucky enough that the only real cost to me if I don't like a game is my time.

Reuenthal

Banned

I do this but with reviews and TB WTF too. There are huge issues with reviewers but I still find the average review to be more informed than the average user commenting on a game. However user views are going to have perspectives not found in reviews and you are going to find people more informed than game reviewers too, especially on issues like performance or certain flaws not found in reviews, especially since they spend much more time in it on a longer period of time. However users tend to focus on some things rather than attempting a more overall view of a game.

All of the above views on a game from different sources are useful to me and better inform me about it.

Crayon

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116360-Jeff-Gerstmann-Explains-His-Departure-From-Gamespot

The issue, Gerstmann claimed in a streaming interview, was that a new management team inexperienced in dealing with editorial groups, had come to power at Gamespot and overreacted to what Gerstmann describes as "publisher push-back." According to his recollection, Eidos threatened to pull ad revenue from Gamespot as a result of his review, and though this kind of thing is relatively common in games journalism, the nascent management team panicked and decided that Gerstmann was unreliable. "They felt they couldn't trust me in the role," Gerstmann said.

I was already skeptical of reviews, but I still read them for fun. When this incident happened, I was over it for good. It's been seven years and I haven't looked into a single review. I have clicked on the sites to see who's ads they run amidst controversies,

May16

I saw a game reviewer say "irregardless" the other day.

So yeah, I kinda get moving on from game reviews.

Altima

I found some pattern in metacritic game critic review score.

86++ score in metacritic - I usually like the game.
70-85 score - do not help me much. They are quite in the same quality.

User review score usually not help.

Bricky

Main problem with your post OP is that you're arguing against your own arguments. I don't need opinions in mah reviews! But go read GAF, because those guys are totally objective.

You want objective information on the game? Read an OT on GAF or something. You want to know if a game is worth buying? You read a review or a few opinions on a forum (which are essentially mini-reviews). You don't need reviews? Fine, but don't come complaining that you bought Unity and it is a complete buggy mess then. An expert gamer should've known that just from looking at a gameplay video, right?

Chinbo37

I don't need professional game reviews from gaming sites or paid off you tubers.

I do need input and feedback of knowledgeable gamers about games they have played which is why I come to GAF

sheamus

Well let's just be honest reviews Are redundant at this point. If you care about a game there so many new avenues to explore when making your purchasing decisions. Hell between Neogaf and Live from PlayStation that's all you really need.

V_Arnold

"You do not need other people's opinions in your lives".

Meh. I rarely read reviews anyway, but I am not going to pretend that I Am The Sole Judge of Videogames, cause I would have missed a fuckton of gems if I did not listen to other people's opinions on games that I initially had no intention playing.

I've never understood ppl who use reviews. I can look at a trailer and usually tell within seconds if it's something I want. Seconds. I don't need someone to tell me it's ok.

Reuenthal

Banned
There are also plenty of games that hardly get that much attention even on gaf. And a gaming review (either youtube or elsewhere) is simply going to say much more about it than a two page gaf thread would. Where to be fair it isn't the purpose of the people who made a post there to review the game at all.

Top Bottom