• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Branson

So I finished 3D world finally this last Friday. Holy shit that game was amazing. One of the best games I've played in the past 6 months easily.

DNAbro

Trying to think of what the next game I should get on the Wii U. I'm thinking of Child of Light when it comes out at the end of the month cause man does that game look pretty.

onilink88

Finally, the kind of recognition X deserves from the press. Most Anticipated: X.

I'm not going to quote anything because it's all worth reading. I will say one thing, though: as the article's stated, we should be glad that Nintendo has the pockets to fuel Takahashi's ambitions, while also possessing the wisdom to know when to reign in on him. I just can't wait to see what kind of insane and wonderful shit he and his team are going to pull off with X.

(And I realize this is an old article, but I haven't seen it posted anywhere.)

Riki

Finally, the kind of recognition X deserves from the press. Most Anticipated: X.

I'm not going to quote anything because it's all worth reading. I will say one thing, though: as the article's stated, we should be glad that Nintendo has the pockets to fuel Takahashi's ambitions, while also possessing the wisdom to know when to reign in on him. I just can't wait to see what kind of insane and wonderful shit he and his team are going to pull off with X.

I feel this needs to be quoted.

History seemed set to repeat with Xenoblade Chronicles, Takahashi's most recent title, published by Nintendo in 2011, a game set on a pair of gigantic bipedal statue gods. Midway through the project the team encountered a raft of difficulties and, realising they would miss the launch deadline, a deflated Takahashi met with Hitoshi Yamagami, the Nintendo producer who oversees RPG development, to suggest a list of deadline-aiding compromises. But Yamagami rejected the plan and told the designer: "You've come this far. You should see it through to the end. I'll convince the others at the company."
Bless you, Yamagami. Bless you!

Yagami_Sama

X is the most anticipate title for Wii U, I put it above Bayonneta 2.
O really enjoyed Xenoblade if this game expands and evolves all the elements from the first game, I can not see a reason for it fail, probably sales will be
at 400k level, but anyone.

Converse

Banned
Thanks for the article, onilink88, it was a good read. This was a new quote for me:

Eurogamer said:
Takahashi stated that he aims to "create the biggest game world possible for the Wii U." Considering Xenoblade Chronicles' world was estimated to be roughly equivalent in size to Japan's archipelago, that's an awful lot of landscape to cover.

onilink88

Thanks for the article, onilink88, it was a good read. This was a new quote for me:

Xenoblade is only 5% of the game he originally envisioned, and X might be the full realization of that ambition. Xenoblade was already a JRPG of unprecedented scale; the mind boggles at attempting to picture a game twenty times its size. If X really is that game, I don't think any of us know what we're really in for yet.

Riki

Xenoblade is only 5% of the game he originally envisioned, and X might be the full realization of that ambition. Xenoblade was already a JRPG of unprecedented scale; the mind boggles at attempting to picture a game twenty times its size. If X really is that game, I don't think any of us know what we're really in for yet.

I know. And that knowledge keeps me up at night.

Here's my question, with what we've seen of X, does it surpass Skyrim? At least on PS360?

Monolith specifically said their goal was to do just that.

So graphically and whatnot, how does it compare? How big is Skyrim?

Riki

Here's my question, with what we've seen of X, does it surpass Skyrim? At least on PS360?

Monolith specifically said their goal was to do just that.

So graphically and whatnot, how does it compare? How big is Skyrim?

A few things.
1. That isn't what they meant. They didn't say they would surpass Skyrim. They said they wanted to show that Japanese developers could keep up with studios like Bethesda. Which X clearly shows on a technical and graphical level.

2. It's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. They use completely different style and techniques.

3. We haven't seen a finished product for X, yet. Even the last gameplay video was still a work in progress and had some major changes from even a year ago. We don't know the size of the world or how detailed it is.

A few things.
1. That isn't what they meant. They didn't say they would surpass Skyrim. They said they wanted to show that Japanese developers could keep up with studios like Bethesda. Which X clearly shows on a technical and graphical level.

2. It's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. They use completely different style and techniques.

3. We haven't seen a finished product for X, yet. Even the last gameplay video was still a work in progress and had some major changes from even a year ago. We don't know the size of the world or how detailed it is.

Fair points. :)

Mlatador

Banned
X should only come out when its absolutely ready. If it comes out in 2015 - so be it! You don't develop a game for a couple of years only to rush it in the final stages. NO! Make it as good as it can be and it will pay off in the end.

Riki

X should only come out when its absolutely ready. If it comes out in 2015 - so be it! You don't develop a game for a couple of years only to rush it in the final stages. NO! Make it as good as it can be and it will pay off in the end.

Thankfully, this isn't how Nintendo does things. They'll let it bake until it's perfect and then it will destroy the world under it's awesome might as the bastion of RPG goodness.

Brigandier

I will be buying a Wii U for X alone, Xenoblade is the best RPG I've ever had the joy of playing, So much content and stuff to do/explore put so many hours into it.

Any news on who is doing the OST?, Xenoblades OST is "in my opinion" cream of the crop.

Yagami_Sama

First time I saw Watch Dogs, I thought it was incredible and pre-ordered it.
So the time passed, and I played Assassin's Creed III and IV, and got extremely disappointed with III and did not like some features on IV, I cancelled the pre-oder, and
now I would rather wait and see what the game has the offer.

Riki

I will be buying a Wii U for X alone, Xenoblade is the best RPG I've ever had the joy of playing, So much content and stuff to do/explore put so many hours into it.

Any news on who is doing the OST?, Xenoblades OST is "in my opinion" cream of the crop.

Well, Sawano is certainly the biggest composer there. It definitely has a different musical style from Xenoblade. Lots of opera and rock. Which I like. I really liked the battle music we heard in the gameplay video.

Riki

Thanks, Suppose I could of just wiki'd that lol, Anyone know if ACE+ will be back at least?, The composers of Xenoblade are amazing I know nothing of Sawano.

Sawano is mostly an Anime composer. He's done themes for Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill and Gundam Unicorn and various other shows.
This is his first time composing a video game. We don't know the rest of the musical staff, sadly.

TaiKH92

Banned
Not to be shallow, but the hype of the Zelda U reveal is going to be 100% based on it's artstyle and graphics.

Edit: I find this kind of generalizations annoying because I bet there are many people who wouldn't care if the game loooks like Skyward Sword or The Wind Waker in terms of art-style, really.

I think the most important is the content, though

jmizzal

First time I saw Watch Dogs, I thought it was incredible and pre-ordered it.
So the time passed, and I played Assassin's Creed III and IV, and got extremely disappointed with III and did not like some features on IV, I cancelled the pre-oder, and
now I would rather wait and see what the game has the offer.

I have AC3 and AC4 brought them cheap dont really care much for the series but i'm still hyped for Watch Dogs, I doubt they will feel too much the same.

Hey fellas! I've purchased Assassin's Creed IV, Batman Arkham Origins and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, each at/under $20! I've never played an AC nor a SC before, and I thought Arkham City was an entertaining game (even if I've yet to finish it...). How did you guys like these games on the Wii U? Any impressions, things to keep in mind?

Splinter Cell is awesome I love it, Batman AO is very good enjoyed it, I just dont like AC games very much so i'm not feeling it playing thru it now

Richie

Hey fellas! I've purchased Assassin's Creed IV, Batman Arkham Origins and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, each at/under $20! I've never played an AC nor a SC before, and I thought Arkham City was an entertaining game (even if I've yet to finish it...). How did you guys like these games on the Wii U? Any impressions, things to keep in mind?

Yagami_Sama

I have AC3 and AC4 brought them cheap dont really care much for the series but i'm still hyped for Watch Dogs, I doubt they will feel too much the same.

I created a high expectation from Assassin's Creed III, and when I played I felt so disappointed.

That part of adventure in the real time destroyed the game for me. This is my fault, but I did not know that the game was like that, I mean not living in the past
just doing some stuff there from the present.

And for that reason I don't want to build hype for Watch Dogs, I would rather have lower expectation and not be disappointed.Also I don't like GTA like games,
and some videos I saw from Watch Dogs, somehow made me associate with GTA, sand box game style, walking without a objective.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Edit: I find this kind of generalizations annoying because I bet there are many people who wouldn't care if the game loooks like Skyward Sword or The Wind Waker in terms of art-style, really.

I think the most important is the content, though

Yeah, but when we're talking about hype, we're not talking about sensibility. Hype is based solely on "gee-whiz" visuals and bigger numbers.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Sawano is mostly an Anime composer. He's done themes for Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill and Gundam Unicorn and various other shows.
This is his first time composing a video game. We don't know the rest of the musical staff, sadly.
Sawano did Taiyou no Uta; it's going to be amazing.

onilink88

I feel this needs to be quoted.

Bless you, Yamagami. Bless you!

I wonder... Did Takahashi still go through with some of those concessions in the end? That could explain why the Bionis' Shoulder was cut from the game.

Thanks, Suppose I could of just wiki'd that lol, Anyone know if ACE+ will be back at least?, The composers of Xenoblade are amazing I know nothing of Sawano.

Well, let's assume that X's OST's as big as Xenoblade's, that would have it at 91 tracks. That'd be a massive (and impressive) undertaking for a single composer. It's possible we haven't seen the full team of composers yet. Equally unsurprising would be the return of Mitsuda in some capacity (minor, if I had to bet on it) given his involvement with the Xeno series thus far.

Like you, though, this is the first I'm hearing of Sawano. The works of his that people have made me listen to had this grand and bombastic flair to them that I suppose I like, and I loved what I heard from the first teaser piece, so hopefully he does an equally good job with the rest of the OST. :)

Gambit

Hello Wii U bros,

back after a game and gaf-less len.

What do I start playing now that gaming has me back?

The choices are:
Tropical Freeze
Rayman Legends
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Haven't really played any of them. Suggestions? DK because it's the most recent?

Volotaire

Hello Wii U bros,

The choices are:
Tropical Freeze
Rayman Legends
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Haven't really played any of them. Suggestions? DK because it's the most recent?

Have you played Fire emblem Path of Radiance? Radiant Dawn is a follow up and I've heard its less enjoyable on its own due to being quite an imbalanced game.

Gambit

Have you played Fire emblem Path of Radiance? Radiant Dawn is a follow up and I've heard its less enjoyable on its own due to being quite an imbalanced game.

Yes, I have finished it earlier this year. I should have mentioned that.

But I think the die has been cast and DK won the race. I want to ease back in with "pure fun", not strategy management that will keep me up at night.

Zalman

Hello Wii U bros,

The choices are:
Tropical Freeze
Rayman Legends
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Haven't played Radiant Dawn, but both DK and Rayman are amazing games. Don't miss out on them. If you can only pick one for now, I'd recommend DK.

Hello Wii U bros,

The choices are:
Tropical Freeze
Rayman Legends
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

DK is great, but I'd personally say Legends. Great gamepad use and just a really fun game.

Public service announcement (uk)

Just got batman arkham origins for 6 quid (marked at 20 but with 70% off marked price as yellow stickered) in HMV in Oxford, it was band new not preowned but in a white case not blue for some odd reason), no idea if it's just Oxford or nationwide but they did have several copies

colon

So I just got Sonic Racing Transformed. Any advice before I start? Does anybody still play it online?

I wish! I tried to get back into it a couple of weeks ago while waiting for Mario Kart 8 but nobody is playing online. I tried it a couple of days in a row but couldn't get a single online match going.
The online community has always been small for this game though. I've had it since launch and can count on one hand the number of times I was able to get in a full 10 player match.

Top Bottom