• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

The Wii U is a dead console. And I'm perfectly fine with that at this point. I've gotten a couple hundred hours of pointer controlled CoD goodness (fuck dual analog shooters), a couple hundred hours out of MK8, a hundred hours between solo and playing with my son in SM3DW, plus some other "smaller" (in terms of time investment) games that I had a ton of fun with like the Bayonettas.

Games like Splatoon, MK8, and SM3DW still have a lot of longevity in my household probably for years to come, whether the console's dead or not (at least until they shut off the servers in Splatoon's case).

So basically for me, it was 100% worth the investment, and the console had a good run. Whether I board the hype train for whatever's next is another question entirely.

I have a PC (due for a video card upgrade... soon) and will get a PS4 "late" e.g. 2017 or so; I have a lot of gaming ahead of me regardless of what Nintendo does from here. We'll see. I never like to tie my entire stake in the hobby to any one place. There's great stuff all over.

This is kind of the way I feel now. I'm a little peeved their letting us hang in the wind for a year until whatever NX announcement comes, but I've gotten more than my fair share of value out of my Wii U. MK8, Splatoon and soon Super Mario Maker will occupy me and my sons time for a long time. My only bit of sadness is that Nintendo could have turned this into a new Dreamcast - cult machine, and it probably won't end up that way.

This is kind of the way I feel now. I'm a little peeved their letting us hang in the wind for a year until whatever NX announcement comes, but I've gotten more than my fair share of value out of my Wii U. MK8, Splatoon and soon Super Mario Maker will occupy me and my sons time for a long time. My only bit of sadness is that Nintendo could have turned this into a new Dreamcast - cult machine, and it probably won't end up that way.

I think it still can end up that way honestly, even if we don't have much else to add to the software library in the future. Most of my experiences with the Wii U have been really good, and I know that when I look back at the system and that small bundle of games in 10 years, it'll be a really special part of my game collection that I know I'll replay often.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On a more positive note and totally on topic:

https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/611068492440305664

#FAST Racing Neo today at Treehouse Live @ E3! 1:45 PM PT

CHrzjixWoAAepjq.png:orig

That's 21:45 BST and 22:45 CET.

Looking forward to see it in motion.

Pachimari

There's plenty of life in this machine for me still. Still haven't bought Wind Waker HD, and Wii Sports Bowling HD will be played for years. Also don't have Captain Toad yet, and I'm actually really excited about The Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei and Fatal Frame V!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Made a few updates.

- Added eShop-label to Fast Racing
- Project Cars is out
- Added Skylanders (September 2015)
- Added Mario & Sonic (2016)
- Added Project Treasure

Awesome pics as always :). Btw, I think you forgot Disney Infinity 3.0, Lego Dimensions, Guitar Hero Live, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and Just Dance 2016 right?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Saw the Fast Racing Neo segment on the show floor today. Game was running at 30fps, which was disappointing, but it still looks like it could be great. I'm curious how it controls.

ozfunghi

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Saw the Fast Racing Neo segment on the show floor today. Game was running at 30fps, which was disappointing, but it still looks like it could be great. I'm curious how it controls.
It looked way above 30fps in the twitch steam, actually looked 60fps and no major drops. Was confirmed to be 60fps by Shin'en. Are you sure about that?

Edit
Monitor I was watching was definitely 30 (the big one above the stage.) It's possible that it was just the display.

Oh, so you saw the Treehouse presentation, not a demo? It was 60fps on Twitch

Mr_Moogle

There will be a full second half for Wii U, I will get Yoshi, Devil's Third, Super Mario Maker, Fatal Frame, Star Fox, Xenoblade X. That's a lot of hours of playing.

But I'm afraid for 2016 (and 2017? I wonder if they manage to announce and launch NX in the same year). It really feels like Wii's 2011. It really feels like they haven't learnt from past mistakes.

Ramping down production on Wii titles in 2011 was probably the right move. The problem was they didn't seem to do anything with the time. When the Wii U came out we saw the same horrible software droughts we always have to put up with. Either they threw all their resources at the 3DS or they just didn't give a shit.

AniHawk

Ramping down production on Wii titles in 2011 was probably the right move. The problem was they didn't seem to do anything with the time. When the Wii U came out we saw the same horrible software droughts we always have to put up with. Either they threw all their resources at the 3DS or they just didn't give a shit.

we know what happened now. the wii u was way more difficult to develop for than they anticipated. it was so bad that it delayed a lot of 3ds games and led nintendo to believe they could probably coast on the 3ds's launch with its launch price of $250 while they worked on the wii u.

the original launches were supposed to be 2010 for 3ds (and skyward sword, or at the very latest march 2011 for skyward sword), and 2011 for wii u. when 3ds had its shitty launch, nintendo had said the wii u would come out in the middle of 2012. the 3ds then needed resources to make sure it could sell, and wii u games were still hard to develop. nintendo didn't finally fully get used to the new pipeline until late 2013. we're seeing projects now based on their new understanding.

the nx is probably going to be like the wii in that it doesn't require nintendo to retrain and build from the ground up. and with only one 'platform,' i don't expect there to be droughts. no droughts is sort of the cornerstone of their new operation.

ozfunghi

I can't wait to play these games that apparently don't exist

Knock yourself out. I'm very stoked to play FAST, but the rest of that list does very little for me. The only other game i was hyped for was Project Cars, but that seems like a dead end too. Hence it being dropped from the list.

Basically, WiiU for me will see the following games: Fatal Frame, Devils Third, Xenoblade X, FAST RN and Zelda. Might still pick up some games i missed like Cpt Toad and 3DWorld but other than that, it seems i'll have to stick to my backlog on WiiU.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A very on topic discussion. Looking at what was presented at E3, there is a clear switch in the budget allocated to Wii U games. All the newly announced or presented games (games started after 2013 probably) look like they have obviously a smaller budget. Animal Crossing Amiibo Money Fest, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash are some very budget conscious games. Even Star Fox looks like it is developed with a limited budget. It's a clear difference compared to the other 1st party games.

I'm curious if the future Wii U games (if any) announced by Nintendo will follow this trend.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
we know what happened now. the wii u was way more difficult to develop for than they anticipated. it was so bad that it delayed a lot of 3ds games and led nintendo to believe they could probably coast on the 3ds's launch with its launch price of $250 while they worked on the wii u.

the original launches were supposed to be 2010 for 3ds (and skyward sword, or at the very latest march 2011 for skyward sword), and 2011 for wii u. when 3ds had its shitty launch, nintendo had said the wii u would come out in the middle of 2012. the 3ds then needed resources to make sure it could sell, and wii u games were still hard to develop. nintendo didn't finally fully get used to the new pipeline until late 2013. we're seeing projects now based on their new understanding.

the nx is probably going to be like the wii in that it doesn't require nintendo to retrain and build from the ground up. and with only one 'platform,' i don't expect there to be droughts. no droughts is sort of the cornerstone of their new operation.

That's a reasonable take on how things were/will be.

Danny Dudekisser

It looked way above 30fps in the twitch steam, actually looked 60fps and no major drops. Was confirmed to be 60fps by Shin'en. Are you sure about that?

Edit

Oh, so you saw the Treehouse presentation, not a demo? It was 60fps on Twitch

Alright, must've been the monitor they had overhead, then. Game looked awesome; but yeah, 30fps had me concerned.

By the way, seeing the show live was pretty awesome. I'd recommend it.

The Dreamcast was the dead of SEGA...

Only because they didn't have the money to support it, courtesy of their failed hardware they put out and idiotic business decisions they were making in the 90s. Nintendo in comparison is in no way in a similar situation.

That said, I do think dumping the Wii U almost immediately like Sega did with the Saturn isn't a good idea. The Wii U is actually turning a profit now, and if they continue giving it a consistent stream of 1st party support, it can carry them to a halfway respectable performance until whatever their next console is takes over. I also personally don't want Nintendo to rush out the next console for the sake of trying to start fresh with a new console as soon as possible, lest we get another half-baked console released that repeats many of the mistakes committed with the Wii U's design, infrastructure, and marketing.

Lyonaz

Man I was wondering how Art Academy Sketch on Wii U still didn't have lessons and stuff and just saw Art Academy Atelier is releasing next week already! Fuck Yeah!
This and Woolly World will definitely be purchased this month.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Are we seriously not getting any games for 3 freaking months?

Danny Dudekisser

Antipole DX looks like it could be really cool. I never played the DSi game, but I love the music in this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a78JAI6FaZg

There's also this 30 minute video of the thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpdRdhGmheY

I think it's supposed to be a summer release. So, it looks like mostly downloadable stuff. Kinda disappointing, but I actually have a huge Wii U backlog, so I suppose it's not fair for me to complain too much.

tbd

Are we seriously not getting any games for 3 freaking months?

Seems like Nintendo home consoles are either something for casual gamers (barely playing) or absolute hardcore gamers that at least own two systems, nothing in between. I'd assume most people on GAF that own a Wii U also own a capable PC, handhelds or another console.

Danny Dudekisser

So, been going through some of the Nindies eShop stuff...

Is Mutant Mudds actually good? I tried the Super Challenge demo, and it seemed boring as hell. So slow, and the music is grating. Always heard good things about the original, so I dunno anymore.

I also tried the Freedom Planet demo. The Wii U port is shaping up nicely -- already feels perfect. That game's going to be so right on this system when it finally comes out.

TheMoon

Seems like Nintendo home consoles are either something for casual gamers (barely playing) or absolute hardcore gamers that at least own two systems, nothing in between. I'd assume most people on GAF that own a Wii U also own a capable PC, handhelds or another console.

You can be a very happy and busy gamer if you go Nintendo only. All you need is to be open to many different things and limit yourself to the same type of games over and over.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, been going through some of the Nindies eShop stuff...

Is Mutant Mudds actually good? I tried the Super Challenge demo, and it seemed boring as hell. So slow, and the music is grating. Always heard good things about the original, so I dunno anymore.

I also tried the Freedom Planet demo. The Wii U port is shaping up nicely -- already feels perfect. That game's going to be so right on this system when it finally comes out.

If you didn't like what you saw in the demo, you probably won't like the rest of the game. It's a very slow platformer that can be very challenging, requiring a lot of pixel perfect jumps and good timing. But the pace is never very quick. I know it doesn't have the exploration elements Keen had, but it always reminded me of PC platformers from around that era.

SuomiDude

Wii U only here and DS is the newest handheld I have. My PC is almost capable of playing games like The Withcer 2, not quite unless I drop almost everything down. But I'm not missing many PC games anyway. No need for other consoles as I barely have enough time to play all the games on Wii U.

Simbabbad

Depends. If you're into Nintendo style games and if you play your games 100%, then being on Wii U and 3DS only not only gives enough games, but more than you can cope with.

Myself I'm the kind to have fun pouring dozens of hours into stuff like Kororinpa or Geometry Wars Galaxies to earn all medals and beat my scores, or several hundred hours in Monster Hunter or Hyrule Warriors (not to mention the editor of the Pushmo series), so Nintendo is more than enough for me. Also, the other consoles really don't interest me at all this generation, all that could grab my interest is also on Steam (which I don't really play all in all except the occasional gem).

If I were Wii U only... my backlog would obviously be lighter, but I don't know by how much.

Danny Dudekisser

If you didn't like what you saw in the demo, you probably won't like the rest of the game. It's a very slow platformer that can be very challenging, requiring a lot of pixel perfect jumps and good timing. But the pace is never very quick. I know it doesn't have the exploration elements Keen had, but it always reminded me of PC platformers from around that era.

Sounds like I should skip it, then. It reminds me of PC platformers, too... unfortunately, I was not a fan of most PC platformers.

On the upside, Freedom Planet is pretty awesome, and the dev's announced an August 3rd launch date. Could be my eyes playing tricks on me, but the game seems to look cleaner on the Wii U. The PC version, in addition to being kinda buggy, doesn't seem to scale to full screen properly. I'll be double dipping on that one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If anybody is interested or on the fence about Mario Party 10 and you aren't sure you should get it or not:

Don't. It's awful. I actually enjoy the car-based gameplay and thought MP9 was really good. 10 is dreadfully boring. Even my kids don't stay interested.

kunonabi

If anybody is interested or on the fence about Mario Party 10 and you aren't sure you should get it or not:

Don't. It's awful. I actually enjoy the car-based gameplay and thought MP9 was really good. 10 is dreadfully boring. Even my kids don't stay interested.

Complete opposite for me. My nephew loved it and absolutely refused to play anything else when I brought it over.

Top Bottom