• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Nintendoland is still fun singleplayer. If you're old enough, invite over a coworker, have some beers and play some games.

And refurbs are the way to go.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I do have friends I just don't enjoy playing Multiplayer games with them or anybody really. My primary interest in a Wii U is to play the games I loved as a kid. I feel like the Big N's games are more geared to my liking than these HUGE AAA EPIC's that my PS4 and PC seem geared to now.

I love platformers and Nintendo always has the best. I just couldn't do the sub HD on the Wii so I haven't owned a nintendo console since the one before game cube. N64 I think?

TheMoon

Sorry I wasn't clear. I do have friends I just don't enjoy playing Multiplayer games with them or anybody really. My primary interest in a Wii U is to play the games I loved as a kid. I feel like the Big N's games are more geared to my liking than these HUGE AAA EPIC's that my PS4 and PC seem geared to now.

I love platformers and Nintendo always has the best. I just couldn't do the sub HD on the Wii so I haven't owned a nintendo console since the one before game cube. N64 I think?

The sensibilities of the solo attractions in Nintendo Land are specifically geared towards that arcade/NES-era style of game. You should really check it out of you have the chance.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Nintendo hasn't changed. Great games are there Nintendoland is great, but so are the rest of their offerings. The eShop has a lot of great stuff on there as well.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So I'm interested in buying Arkham City on Wii-U but heard it's got some glitch problem that you can't get 100% without being aware of the glitch and avoiding it. I also heard there's discs with the problem fixed now, what are the chances of me buying it online and getting one of these copies?

dacalo

An amazing videogame for you and your friends :)

I am sorry but I wouldn't really classify Nintendoland as "amazing." To me it was just a bunch of tech demos of what's possible on the system. They are good for a few minutes here and there but they do not provide any compelling experience like some of other games offered by the system.

TheMoon

So I'm interested in buying Arkham City on Wii-U but heard it's got some glitch problem that you can't get 100% without being aware of the glitch and avoiding it. I also heard there's discs with the problem fixed now, what are the chances of me buying it online and getting one of these copies?

I think that only affected the NA copy and WB offered replacements?

kunonabi

I am sorry but I wouldn't really classify Nintendoland as "amazing." To me it was just a bunch of tech demos of what's possible on the system. They are good for a few minutes here and there but they do not provide any compelling experience like some of other games offered by the system.

Spoken like someone who clearly hasn't tried getting all the stamps.

Oh really only NA not EU? If that's true then I can just buy right away.

For NA folks, there is a way to tell the difference. On the back on the barcode, the numbers will differ, a post at GameFAQs shows both numbers to look out for:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632942-batman-arkham-city-armored-edition/65650854?page=2

And contrary to what I was told about the packaging being the same:

The UPC code is different on my corrected disc.

The number above the code bars on the fixed disc is 1000312565.
The number below the code bars is 8 83929 25512 2.

On the original disc the numbers are 1000314271 and 8 83929 25473 6 respectively.

These numbers are for the NA release, just to clarify.

I believe embargo on Devil's Third is up tomorrow in Europe and Japan. Should be an interesting day. I'm really hoping it turns out to be a misunderstood but ultimately great action game for people who understand what action games are all about.

TheMoon

I believe embargo on Devil's Third is up tomorrow in Europe and Japan. Should be an interesting day. I'm really hoping it turns out to be a misunderstood but ultimately great action game for people who understand what action games are all about.

Oh in Europe too? At the very least we'll get the Famitsu stuff.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
My 100+ hours in the game strongly disagree with your opinion.

DietRob

Well I am the proud owner of a black Wii U 32gb for 185.00.

I couldn't be happier. Oh, wait yes I could. I have $100 in Eshop credit.

TELL
ME
WHAT
TO
BUY

I like platforms most, don't like the way zelda has become, dont play multiplayer online or couch, I play alone, i don't like fighting games or FPS type,

I mainly want to have the classic Nintendo games. The Mario's the Luigi's the classics. But I don't want to play those old games I want to play the newest versions of thoses.

Brehs and Brehettes... Please guide me.

Scoops

Banned

TELL
ME
WHAT
TO
BUY

I like platforms most, don't like the way zelda has become, dont play multiplayer online or couch, I play alone, i don't like fighting games or FPS type,

I mainly want to have the classic Nintendo games. The Mario's the Luigi's the classics. But I don't want to play those old games I want to play the newest versions of thoses.

Luckily the system has an abundance of platformers.

New Super Mario Bros U with the Luigi DLC if you're up for a challenge and Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze are both great 2D platformers. People love Shovel Knight too but I haven't played it. But honestly what you really need to do is put in that pre order for Super Mario Maker. It's out in September and looks incredible. Depending on what region your in Yoshi is either already out or coming soon.

I really like Super Mario 3D World if you like 3D platformers.

The two Platinum Games are really good. Bayonetta 2 is more accessible and comes with a Bayonetta 1 remaster. The Wonderful 101 is great but it has a learning curve so you need to be willing to put the time in. Pikmin 3 is a really good single player strategy game.

Wind Waker HD is great if you haven't played Wind Waker, and it's good even if you have.

If you like single player horror games the WiiU as some options. People love ZombiiU, Resident Evil Revelations and Fatal Frame 5 looks like it's going to be awesome.

Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 are terrific but are more multiplayer focused. Splatoon has a cool platformer/shooter hybrid campaign you'd probably like but it's only 4-5 hours long.

Xenoblade Chronicles X may not be as well received as the originial but it seems to still be a good JRPG.

What other platforms did you have?

chrislowe

Ok, I have promised the kids to buy a Wii U, but stupid question:

Is the only difference between the Wii U Premium and Basic that the Premium has 32GB storage and a sensor bar?

If so, I will buy the basic version instead.

TheMoon

Is the only difference between the Wii U Premium and Basic that the Premium has 32GB storage and a sensor bar?

Yes. Well, and the color of course.

TheMoon

Full disclosure: the Basic Set also doesn't come with a GamePad stand, GamePad charging cradle, and console stand. Just a console AC adapter, GamePad AC adapter and an HDMI cable. If you check some retail stores, they might be throwing out standalone GamePad charging cradle/GamePad stands for the price of a coke or two.

Make sure to get some additional storage though, a basic could easily be filled with just a couple of games worth of saves and updates

chrislowe

Full disclosure: the Basic Set also doesn't come with a GamePad stand, GamePad charging cradle, and console stand. Just a console AC adapter, GamePad AC adapter and an HDMI cable. If you check some retail stores, they might be throwing out standalone GamePad charging cradle/GamePad stands for the price of a coke or two.

Already checked ebay, and the chargestand and sensor bar doesnt even cost $15 with shipping :) And I have a terabyte USB-harddrive just laying around :)

Thanks for the info anyway!, have ordered the basic white wii U now. :)

TheMoon

Already checked ebay, and the chargestand and sensor bar doesnt even cost $15 with shipping :) And I have a terabyte USB-harddrive just laying around :)

Thanks for the info anyway!, have ordered the basic white wii U now. :)

Note: that USB HDD will have to be your dedicated Wii U hard drive, can't use it with anything else unless you format it again.

locustlx

TELL
ME
WHAT
TO
BUY

Buy New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World (if you dont already have it), and Wonderful 101 from here.

I also wouldn't miss out on Batman: Arkham City, Deus Ex:Human Revolution and Rayman Legends (this is a must have if you love platformers)

Also, sInce you're talking about eshop credit, I would also pick up:
  • shantae and the pirate's curse
  • guacamelee (for a mariachi super metroid)
  • pushmo world (to hold you over until mario maker comes out)
  • child of light
  • shovel knight
  • olli olli
  • elliot quest (for your zelda 2 fix)
  • thomas was alone
  • 1001 spikes
  • stealth inc. 2
  • paper monsters recut
  • bit.trip runner 2
  • giana sisters (when it comes out on disc)
  • terraria (same deal)

The ones in bold are the ones i have gotten the most of my money's worth out of, the others ones i haven't gotten around to fully exploring yet.

Hopefully that wasn't too much info for you.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot the two Trine games are pretty epic too for platforming

DietRob

Hi locustlx,

Thanks for the big ol list of games. The games I've gotten since my first post in here are:

Retail:
Super Mario 3d world
Mario Kart 8
Pikmin

Eshop:
Child of Light
Cloudberry Kingdom (i think that's what it's called)

I'm having so much fun with this thing. I don't have a lot of time to play games and I'm not a multiplayer type of guy except when it comes to Mario Kart and couch multi with the family.

I still want to get:
New SMB + Luigi
Bayonetta 1/2
and I'm looking forward to Mario Maker.

TheMoon

Apparently it have been put on "hold/delayed" because besides PSvita, they added PS3 and PS4 versions, and they must get versions before the Wii U.

https://www.facebook.com/forgottenmemoriesthegame/posts/529122063911678

quoting for those who don't want to read facebook:

Forgotten Memories
August 18 at 2:01pm ·

Hi everyone,

We’re currently working on a director’s cut version for the PS3, PS4 and PS Vita versions. We are also working on the Android and Steam versions.

We are making subtitles in others languages, adding new game modes, creating new riddles and others exciting stuff.

We will give you the release date in a few months.
Stay tune

Forgotten Memories
Guys, WiiU version will eventually come, we are now focusing on Sony Consoles first, then Steam, WiiU, and Android will follow.
Like · Reply · 14 · August 18 at 9:49pm

with the release of mario maker coming really soon this topic needs a bump. SO how is everyones collection doing so far? I will start with mine everything but VC and indie titles will be shown as thats way to many pictures to post in one post lol. Also not pictured is nintendo land and black ops 2 cause those are my only physical games i have lol

CcaKtvHl.jpg

9R0UiqTl.jpg

LYaDZxCl.jpg

3gGw4Ltl.jpg

AmyS

So I have a bit over $200 to spend.

Seriously thinking about getting a refurbished Wii U directly from Nintendo.

Any major or minor issues that I should be aware of?

They only issue I recall seeing from anyone who has gotten one, was that it doesn't come with the console stands, which many don't use any way. I think other than that it is like new (if not actually new).

Cindro

It would be a MAJOR issue for you to miss out on this great console, and that's no MINOR claim! Ho ho!

$200 is more than a fair price for the hardware itself, and it becomes a steal when you factor in the outstanding quality of the software. The turnaround from Wii to Wii U in terms of modern Nintendo classics has been staggering. The two Galaxy games and Punch-Out!! on Wii are just about the only games that can hold a candle to the level of quality of Nintendo's first party output on the Wii U.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

As said above, it doesn't come with any stands and it doesn't come with the charge cradle for the gamepad, which is inconvenient, but not a game killer.

Also, the box is a little ugly, but you won't be playing the box.

Top Bottom