• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Any word on whether or not Mario Maker comes with premade by Nintendo levels or not?

Yes it does. If it's the same as the Best Buy demo they have worlds all the way from 1-1 to 8-4. There's no "SMB3/SMW" over map though. You just pick what level you want to do. Including the Nintendo World Championship levels that we saw... they're included too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes it does. If it's the same as the Best Buy demo they have worlds all the way from 1-1 to 8-4. There's no "SMB3/SMW" over map though. You just pick what level you want to do. Including the Nintendo World Championship levels that we saw... they're included too.

do we know if there will be levels done in the various artstyle? so also New Super Mario Bros U?

Effect

Yup its one game a month for me from Aug to Dec.
Devils third
Mario Maker
Fatal Frame U
StarFox Zero
Xenoblade

Then 2016 they move on from WiiU im fine with that

In terms of retail releases across the Wii U and 3DS this will be my purchase list. However the way it's looking I won't even get a chance to buy Devil's Third. So that cuts things down to four games. Which is nice for my wallet at least.

I mix in some eShop games in between those or some PC games. I've been seriously considering a Xbox One pick up this year for some of the exclusives that have come out and will come out. Though with so many Xbox One games are getting released on the PC. I want to play Halo 5 and get the collection. Forza 6 looks interesting. Never played a Gears of War game but they always looked interesting. I hate what they did with Fable though. So if 2016 is barren until and if the NX comes out then I will be okay if I go in this direction. It's that or spend a LOT of time in Final Fantasy XIV or replay some PC games.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In terms of retail releases across the Wii U and 3DS this will be my purchase list. However the way it's looking I won't even get a chance to buy Devil's Third. So that cuts things down to four games. Which is nice for my wallet at least.

I mix in some eShop games in between those or some PC games. I've been seriously considering a Xbox One pick up this year for some of the exclusives that have come out and will come out. Though with so many Xbox One games are getting released on the PC. I want to play Halo 5 and get the collection. Forza 6 looks interesting. Never played a Gears of War game but they always looked interesting. I hate what they did with Fable though. So if 2016 is barren until and if the NX comes out then I will be okay if I go in this direction. It's that or spend a LOT of time in Final Fantasy XIV or replay some PC games.

For what it's worth, Scott Moffitt from NoA said in an interview over E3 that they're bringing 8 titles to Wii U for the rest of this year. I think that includes Devil's Third when I try to list the titles.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/23715...ot-a-transitional-year-reaction-to-m#comments

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Yoshi's Wooly World
3. Star Fox Zero
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
5. Mario Tennis Open
6. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
7. Fatal Frame V
8? Devil's Third?

Am I missing anything?

TheMoon

For what it's worth, Scott Moffitt from NoA said in an interview over E3 that they're bringing 8 titles to Wii U for the rest of this year. I think that includes Devil's Third when I try to list the titles.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/23715...ot-a-transitional-year-reaction-to-m#comments

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Yoshi's Wooly World
3. Star Fox Zero
5. Mario Tennis Open
7. Fatal Frame V
8? Devil's Third?

Am I missing anything?

Yup, Art Academy Home Studio which came out this week ;)

(Mario Tennis Open is the 3DS game, this one is called Mario Tennis Ultra Smash)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rusty Pup looks intriguing. When is it expected?

maxcriden

Rusty Pup looks intriguing. When is it expected?

Last I heard, just "whenever it's ready." That video (thanks for the footage link, BTW, HOL--looked really rad and it was great to finally see more of the game in action!) indicates the game is still very much in pre-alpha. So I'd personally be surprised to see it before 2016.

Effect

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Yoshi's Wooly World
3. Star Fox Zero
5. Mario Tennis Open
7. Fatal Frame V
8? Devil's Third?

Am I missing anything?

Still not sold on Yoshi. It looks great but haven't really been feeling 2D platformers lately. I do want that Yarn Yoshi Amiibo though. Mario Tennis though I can take a pass on. I have the 3DS game and I think that was my first Mario Tennis game. Not sure I really need or want another right now. Especially not until I see what the online options look like. The 3DS version disappointed here. If it's local only then I certainly won't be bothering with it. Animal Crossing will be free so if I can get an Amiibo then I might mess around with it.

SuomiDude

Still not sold on Yoshi. It looks great but haven't really been feeling 2D platformers lately. I do want that Yarn Yoshi Amiibo though.
This is my first Yoshi game, though I have played Yoshi's Island on SNES a bit, and I'm really liking the game so far (just got past the 2nd world).
It's cute (my gf really likes the style naturally), but it also looks great otherwise as well. My only complaint in the whole game is one flat texture you can see in the opening video, everything else really looks like it's made of real yarn, fabric etc. The music, while not really great is still good, and every level has its own music I think, and there's some memorable tunes.
One thing that worried me initially was the challenge the game offers, but the game has shown it actually offers a good bit of challenge. If you just want to run through levels, then it can be quite easy, at least so far, though couple of levels have been decent challenge even then, but if you try to get all the bonus stuff, it becomes a good challenge. And why would you try to get that stuff? Because it opens up extra levels, which are even more challenging. It opens different colored Yoshis and probably some stuff that I don't know yet.
The controls are good (except on the world map they feel wonky, but that doesn't matter), there's lots of different transformations, the levels add new ideas all the time and there seems to be quite a few hours of gameplay all in all. Like I said, I'm past the 2nd world in which I haven't opened the secret level yet (meaning I haven't collected all the extra stuff), and I've played about 7 hours now. Sure it's been mostly 2 player co-op, which btw is tons of fun, because you can screw up the other player if you want or try to work like a good team. But it also makes the levels a bit slower, because if you want to really co-op, you have to be more careful. But it's one of the few games my gf likes to play with me, so all's good.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Still not sold on Yoshi. It looks great but haven't really been feeling 2D platformers lately. I do want that Yarn Yoshi Amiibo though. Mario Tennis though I can take a pass on. I have the 3DS game and I think that was my first Mario Tennis game. Not sure I really need or want another right now. Especially not until I see what the online options look like. The 3DS version disappointed here. If it's local only then I certainly won't be bothering with it. Animal Crossing will be free so if I can get an Amiibo then I might mess around with it.

For what it's worth, I hear the 3DS Mario Tennis was pretty poor compared to other Mario Tennis games.

TheMoon

Mario Tennis though I can take a pass on. I have the 3DS game and I think that was my first Mario Tennis game. Not sure I really need or want another right now. Especially not until I see what the online options look like. The 3DS version disappointed here. If it's local only then I certainly won't be bothering with it. Animal Crossing will be free so if I can get an Amiibo then I might mess around with it.

There's 0% chance it's local only since all of Camelot's recent Mario Sports games had online modes. Mario Golf World Tour had amazing online.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw Smoker, can we add games like Shovel Knight (which is now retail for Wii U among other consoles, whoo whoo), and Mighty No. 9 to the list?

I hope the next two months are jam packed with Virtual Console releases, because... yeesh.

July: Nothing
August: Nothing
September: Super Mario Maker (09/11/15)
October: Yoshi's Woolly World (10/16/15)

Almost four entire months until Yoshi's Woolly World, a game that's already out in Europe. Instead of releasing it during the summer when it has no competition, it's going to be cannibalized by other big fall games.

I hope the next two months are jam packed with Virtual Console releases, because... yeesh.

Almost four entire months until Yoshi's Woolly World, a game that's already out in Europe. Instead of releasing it during the summer when it has no competition, it's going to be cannibalized by other big fall games.

Devil's Third?

Edit: Oh right, NA (thought this was the MC thread for a sec lol). But yeah, GameFly was saying August 28th, not anymore though.

Brutal. Two games for the rest of the year! I guess it's better than the one game I want on PS4 for the rest of the year.

I'm assuming we'll get a Direct sometime in August that will at least drop some Virtual Console stuff and clarify what's going on with Devil's Third and Fatal Frame. Hoping for Zero Mission and Sin & Punishment 64, personally.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Last I heard, just "whenever it's ready." That video (thanks for the footage link, BTW, HOL--looked really rad and it was great to finally see more of the game in action!) indicates the game is still very much in pre-alpha. So I'd personally be surprised to see it before 2016.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

TheMoon

Brutal. Two games for the rest of the year! I guess it's better than the one game I want on PS4 for the rest of the year.

I'm assuming we'll get a Direct sometime in August that will at least drop some Virtual Console stuff and clarify what's going on with Devil's Third and Fatal Frame. Hoping for Zero Mission and Sin & Punishment 64, personally.

Two? You mean seven (or eight)?

September: Super Mario Maker (1)
October: Yoshi's Woolly World (2), (and let's face it: Fatal Frame (3)...super obvious)
November: Star Fox Zero (4), Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (5), Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (6)
December: Xenoblade Chronicles X (7)
2015: Devil's Third (8)

Richie

If this week's releases in Eruope is any indication, we may just get our wish. They're getting Ocarina of Time (N64), Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (NDS) and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (GBA). Damn good lineup right there, if they keep that level, I personally would be pleased as pie.

NoA has yet to release any of the Wii titles beyond the first three. In theory this gives them room to release several games every week. But you never know with NoA.

October: Yoshi's Woolly World (2), (and let's face it: Fatal Frame (3)...super obvious)
November: Star Fox Zero (4), Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (5), Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (6)

I meant for me personally, but I COMPLETELY forgot about Starfox which is an absolute must. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see it slip into early 2016.

tebunker

Banned

Eff that though, I don't want to buy a years worth of games in a 3-4 month stretch. Barf.

Out of that list I may, stress may, get 2 to 4 games, and will probably only get 1 of them when it's released in Mario Maker.

I know that companies sell a majority of their titles in the late fall/holiday season, but it doesn't mean you ignore the spring and summer. Games like Fatal Frame and Devils Third are perfect for this time of year.

jimi_dini

Games like Fatal Frame are perfect for October because that's when you release horror games :D

I have a feeling that Fatal Frame will get a november release.

Oh wait, Star Fox gets released in november? In that case, yeah october release for Fatal Frame.

fingers crossed for a Fatal Frame amiibo.
won't happen, but it would be awesome. they could let them unlock the special costumes

TheMoon

I have a feeling that Fatal Frame will get a november release.

Oh wait, Star Fox gets released in november? In that case, yeah october release for Fatal Frame.

Star Fox is officially just "Holiday" but who are we kidding? November 20 will be the date. Nintendo Day.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
In case anyone thought Wii U was getting no third-party support har har was wondering, here's a list that I compiled of third-party retail releases for the rest of the year in the U.S.:

July 28: Legend of Kay Anniversary (Nordic Games)
Sept. 15: Mighty No. 9 (Deep Silver)
Sept. 20: Skylanders SuperChargers (Activision)
Sept. 27: LEGO Dimensions (WB)
Oct. 13: Rodea the Sky Soldier (NISA)
Oct. 13: Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games)
Oct. 20: Just Dance 2016 (Ubisoft)
Oct. 20: Guitar Hero Live (Activision)
Oct. 20: Terraria (505 Games)
Oct. 20: Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations (Little Orbit)
Oct. 27: Monster High: Ghoul School (Little Orbit)
Nov. 3: Barbie and Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue (Little Orbit)
Nov. 17: Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends (Little Orbit)
Fall: Disney Infinity 3.0 (Disney)
Winter: LEGO Marvel's Avengers (WB)
Winter: Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories (Natsume)

ngower

Maybe not the right place to ask, but here goes: what are some solid games to try and get my mom in on the action? She played the Wii Sports stuff with me back in the Wii days, so that's an easy bet, but I'm looking into other games—Wii or Wii U—to get her to try out some games. Thinking Mario Party 10, Game and Wario and maybe Sportsball. I think some of the bigger multiplayer stuff like Mario Kart or Smash would be way too challenging for her (button-wise). Anyone have any good ideas that have worked in the past with their mothers/parents/non-gaming friends?

jimi_dini

Maybe not the right place to ask, but here goes: what are some solid games to try and get my mom in on the action? She played the Wii Sports stuff with me back in the Wii days, so that's an easy bet, but I'm looking into other games—Wii or Wii U—to get her to try out some games. Thinking Mario Party 10, Game and Wario and maybe Sportsball. I think some of the bigger multiplayer stuff like Mario Kart or Smash would be way too challenging for her (button-wise). Anyone have any good ideas that have worked in the past with their mothers/parents/non-gaming friends?

Maybe Captain Toad?
You don't really need to be that good to beat levels
except for one of the bonus levels, which is crazy insanely difficult

Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush is also pretty simple

And there is Kirby's Woolly World of course with an easy difficulty setting

"Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW!" is also pretty easy except for the last dungeons

Pikmin 3 can be difficult especially the time trials. Not sure how difficult this would be to a non-"gamer". I personally find it quite relaxing for the most part.

Guamu

Nintendo land

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Maybe Captain Toad?
You don't really need to be that good to beat levels
except for one of the bonus levels, which is crazy insanely difficult

Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush is also pretty simple

And there is Kirby's Woolly World of course with an easy difficulty setting

"Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW!" is also pretty easy except for the last dungeons

Pikmin 3 can be difficult especially the time trials. Not sure how difficult this would be to a non-"gamer". I personally find it quite relaxing for the most part.

You mean Yoshi's Woolly World?

You mean Yoshi's Wooly World?
You mean Yoshi's WooLLy World. There are two Ls in Woolly.

Guys, so my copies of Kirby Wii U and Captain Toad arrived from Amazon.com. Does Nintendo in North America publish games for both US and Canada in one? These games seem to have English, French and Spanish text. I just want to make sure I'm not receiving Canadian versions. I ordered from Amazon.com.

Also, what has happened to the spine text? It's completely plain on these two games. I used the prefer it with the stylised logos like we had during the Wii generation (and GC). My copy of Pikmin 3 has a nice spine.

69wpm

Looks like Limbo is coming to Wii U.

4macLee.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Looks like Wii U & 3DS are getting a Snoopy game. Looks cute actually.

Snoopy's Grand Adventure (current-gen - PS4/XB1/Wii U/3DS + 360)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riJ2xvqRo94

Yep. And Disney Infinity 3.0 got a date. Here's my updated list...

Second half of 2015 third-party retail games

July 28: Legend of Kay Anniversary (Nordic Games)
Sept. 15: Mighty No. 9 (Deep Silver)
Sept. 20: Skylanders SuperChargers (Activision)
Sept. 27: LEGO Dimensions (WB)
Oct. 13: Rodea the Sky Soldier (NISA)
Oct. 13: Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games)
Oct. 20: Terraria (505 Games)
Oct. 20: Just Dance 2016 (Ubisoft)
Oct. 20: Guitar Hero Live (Activision)
Oct. 20: Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations (Little Orbit)
Oct. 27: Monster High: Ghoul School (Little Orbit)
Oct. 30: Disney Infinity 3.0 (Disney)
Nov. 3: Barbie and Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue (Little Orbit)
Nov. 3: Snoopy's Grand Adventure (Activision)
Nov. 17: Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends (Little Orbit)
Winter: LEGO Marvel's Avengers (WB)
Winter: Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories (Natsume)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sorry if this is off topic a bit. I don't keep current with gaming news much anymore. I thought I heard something about the Big N creating a new console. Are there any Wii U price cuts on the way. I'd love to own one at some point. Since I really enjoy their IPs.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Sorry if this is off topic a bit. I don't keep current with gaming news much anymore. I thought I heard something about the Big N creating a new console. Are there any Wii U price cuts on the way. I'd love to own one at some point. Since I really enjoy their IPs.

To be fair, price cuts are typically only announced right before they happen. At best you'll hear about it like 1 month to 2 weeks before. Any earlier and you're just killing the sales between the announcement and the actual price cut. I'm guessing if there is a price cut, it'll be around September this year, since that's typically when consoles get their price cuts. So I'd wait until then/the holidays and see what it's selling for.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Nintendo sells refurbs for $200 or $225, depending on whether you want Mario 3D World bundled with it: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...cker.jsp?productId=prod150200#ftag=YHF6738a5f

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...cker.jsp?productId=prod560316#ftag=YHF6738a5f

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

TheMoon

I don't have friends :(

I'm a single player gamer.

The first half of the sentence is still true in that case. An amazing video game for you. :)

Only three of the attractions are multiplayer only. Three more are both solo OR multi and the remaining (six? I forgot how many there are) are solo-only anyway.

Top Bottom