• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacking no longer even requires a PC.

Justinh

Zebei

Is this piracy level homebrew on the latest version? As far as I know 3DS isn't on the lastewt FW (of course im not exactly knowledgeable on this stuff which is basically technobabble to me), so if nintendo has just left wii u open to potential piracy for weeks now. . .jeez.

Well i guess this mean i can get some smash wii u mods at least. Can't wait to add a metric fuckton of music.

Edit: a word

I just did it, and get the error message 160-2215 if I want to restart the WiiU!

Wii U is on the latest firmware (5.5.1)?

You also made sure to do the second item from the drop down list (AppStore Installer) right? You have to use that to install the homebrew launcher onto your SD card.

Does it give that error when the exploit first runs? Or when you try to install the appstore?

inner-G

Banned
Is this piracy level homebrew on the latest version? As far as I know 3DS isn't on the lastewt FW (of course im not exactly knowledgeable on this stuff which is basically technobabble to me), so if nintendo has just left wii u open to potential for weeks now. . .jeez.

Well i guess this mean i can get some smash wii u mods at least. Can't wait to add a metric fuckton of music.
This is for vWii (GCN,Wii) I believe, not Wii U backups

Edit: I'm wrong it's the other way around. Not really interesting then.

Other way around. This actually does not work to give you vWii access, you need a separate wii game exploit for that (easiest being Smash Bros).

This hack gives you access to Wii U homebrew, including dumping and playing games (but games have to be played off of SD card which is worse than playing on discs and lacks online in any shape or form)

Kilau

Gold Member
Would this allow me to dump my disc WiiU games onto my HDD that's plugged in and play them without need of the disc being in the drive?

ZombAid82

Wii U is on the latest firmware (5.5.1)?

You also made sure to do the second item from the drop down list (AppStore Installer) right? You have to use that to install the homebrew launcher onto your SD card.

Does it give that error when the exploit first runs? Or when you try to install the appstore?

Well, I ran the installer, saw all the apps to install. Activated some of them to download, and then I tried to use one of the programs. Started the home menu, found nothing on there. Tried to restart the launcher, FSGetMountSource failed message, turned off and now comes the error message. Fw was 5.5.1.
Now it doesn't start anymore at all!
It think I have my first brick :-(

Zebei

Ahh that is much more reason-

Other way around. This actually does not work to give you vWii access, you need a separate wii game exploit for that (easiest being Smash Bros).

This hack gives you access to Wii U homebrew, including dumping and playing games (but games have to be played off of SD card which is worse than playing on discs and lacks online in any shape or form)
Well fuck we're back to square one. . . i think. jeez

yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for them. . .

Well, I ran the installer, saw all the apps to install. Activated some of them to download, and then I tried to use one of the programs. Started the home menu, found nothing on there. Tried to restart the launcher, FSGetMountSource failed message, turned off and now comes the error message. Fw was 5.5.1.
Now it doesn't start anymore at all!
It think I have my first brick :-(

This hack can't brick your system. Hold down the power on your Wii U. Turn it back on after 10 seconds.

Well fuck we're back to square one. . . i think. jeez

yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for them. . .

If you're a pirate that likes playing games with super long load times and laggy gameplay and no way to play online... I guess?

LordOfChaos

Yep. As a lot of people thought, as soon as Nintendo took its eyes off it for the NX, blown wide open.

At least it's end of life, I recall fail0verflow and maybe other groups had some level of exploit earlier on but didn't release for fear of killing the console (and getting sued)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
If this makes it easy to import a European disc copy of Fatal Frame 5 and play it on my NA Wii U, then I'm excited.

Not really. Just my opinion. Im just not interested in Nintendo games enough to pay for them.

Edit: I don't have an sd card reader.

then why are you in this thread

patientx

If I already am using this exploit and got my sd card with my backups on it, can I install it over this card without damaging the files or ... ?

ZombAid82

Well, it seems I really have a brick, the error code I get suggests that I have a software problem and have to send the console in...

DooMAGE

Well, it seems I really have a brick, the error code I get suggests that I have a software problem and have to send the console in...

Looks like you are not the only with this problem, anyone interested in this hack be careful of possible briks :/

No idea what happened then, because these hacks don't access anything but memory. It can't access anything permanent, it's not elevated access to modify firmware in any way which is why you have to go into the webbrowser every time.

Zarovitch

No idea what happened then, because these hacks don't access anything but memory. It can't access anything permanent, it's not elevated access to modify firmware in any way which is why you have to go into the webbrowser every time.

I imagine things on memory for the OS can be save, and it cause the system to brick.

DooMAGE

I guess its better put somewhere in the OP that this hack my brick you system, unfortunately it was too late for some ppl here.

ZombAid82

I don't get it either! If I look the internet up about the error code, there is sparsely any info at all about this fucking error code. 160-2215 if anybody is interested.
I hate my luck and life at the moment!!!

Awesome! The PC method was always spotty for me. I'll try this out when I get home.

EDIT: This talk of bricking is giving me second thoughts.

So... how would I run something like XCX Gecko now? Right now I have to go the browser load kernel exploit > go to browser again > load TCP Gecko > Load XCX. DOes this simplify the process?

So... how would I run something like XCX Gecko now? Right now I have to go the browser load kernel exploit > go to browser again > load TCP Gecko > Load XCX. DOes this simplify the process?

No. All this does is remove the step of installing homebrew on an SD card via PC first. Literally, this is the only difference.

muteki

This hack can't brick your system. Hold down the power on your Wii U. Turn it back on after 10 seconds.

If you're a pirate that likes playing games with super long load times and laggy gameplay and no way to play online... I guess?

Maybe it is game or card dependent, but this was not my experience playing a patched TMS. From other's impressions of the disc version load times were better of of SD.

If you do that, you can still play online?

I don't have a WiiU and don't plan on buying one, but I'm curious. I know my brother in law would try this if he ever hears about it.

Can't wait for Nintendo to stop doing 3DS firmware updates so homebrewing it will be even easier, same for Sony with the Vita.

I'd love to be able to get some of my PSP games on my Vita (that aren't available on PSN) and get those great NES and SNES emulators on my 3DS.

Top Bottom